Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,416 members, 7,978,314 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 05:37 AM

Who Stole My Music??? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who Stole My Music??? (975 Views)

Paul Psquare Stole Nkenji Keke From Ukraine Based Artists / American Pia Mia Stole Phyno’s Song "I'm A Fan" / Nigerian Musicians Who Stole Songs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Stole My Music??? by Nobody: 9:50am On Jan 26, 2016
Who Stole My Music
With 2016 coming off the back of a rather forlorn 2015, many would imagine that the New Year being so fresh and all, will offer so much in terms of progress and increased state of living and what have you. That has hardly been the case not less due to the economic meltdown that threatens to mar the country our heroes-past struggled to put together. However, in typical fashion, Nigerians have being treated to more than enough comic relief, so to speak, by the much-vaunted Entertainment Industry. First it was the Headies Awards which dominated the topic of discussion for a long while and is still going strong in some quarters. Comments such as “come and collect” “back to back” “don’t set foot on the mainland” are the latest catch-phrases in town used by both the young, the old and the clueless. Thank God for ‘peace’ though, two of the biggest stars, Olamide and Don Jazzy have put that ‘behind’ them.
It’s still early days and now new have to put up with the issue of stealing or supposed stealing as the case may be. First off, Dammy Crane called out his onetime friend, Wizkid Ayo for taking his music and making hits out of them. This opened a can of worms and eventually led to a physical combat between the two at a night club; which by the way, has been also ‘settled’. The damage had been done though and the credibility of a fellow artist questioned. Many fans sided with Wizkid and pointedly told Dammy to work harder in the studio rather than seek ‘cheap publicity’. This begs the issue, is the average artist in Nigeria ignorant of the rights they possess regarding intellectual works? Or are artists concerned only with the economic benefits their supposed hits accrue? Accusing someone of stealing is a serious matter and such accusations should be backed-up by solid content bar any evidence.
And recently, Blackface, the erstwhile member of the long-lost group Plantashun Boiz, took to social media, his grievances towards Wizkid (again) and former bandmate 2face saying both had benefited greatly from his works and that he had no qualms with such provided he was asked first. This accusations became one too many for some and hence the backlash Blackface has had to endure not only from fans and critics but also other artists. Paul Okoye, one half of the group P2 had this to say “I suppose mind my business ohh but dis one na part of my business …. Abeg were dis people wey dey shout “dem steal my song” abeg were una the keep am wey dey steal am?.... 2016 the year of cheap publicity…. Lmao”. This coming from a group who almost drove Westlife out of business. Not to mention all of MJ’s moves. For some, that’s normal, since the US is another country entirely. I’m a fan but I’m also for truth. Not to say I don’t get his point but he only added fuel to an already naked flame. Blackface, taking the hint, wasn’t to be outdone. He fired back:”See me oh. See, see copycats dey come defend copycats. Naijamillivanillis. What you know about being creative?” He just had to. Nigerians wouldn’t be surprised if this too degenerated into a physical fracas.
These actions by all the artists involved make them the clueless ones in the society. Nigerians have played a part in making them who they are by patronizing and promoting their music in one form or the other. Needless to say, there are kids who aspire to the levels of successes thy have attained since education doesn’t seem to cut it anymore. It’s my view therefore that the entertainment industry, music in particular, is not one that deals with restitution; therefore, from now on every artists’ idea or work should be copyrighted to avoid future clashes. My two cents!

(1) (Reply)

5 Nigerian Artiste Who Lost Their Prominence. / Wizkid Stripped Of His MTV EMA Award - Here's Why / Davido Premieres IF, Produced By Tekno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.