Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,263 members, 7,887,766 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:29 PM

FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN (904 Views)

FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power / Arewa Consultative Forum Gives Conditions For Restructuring Of Nigeria / Niger Delta Avengers Gives Conditions For Talks With Nigerian Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by eyesofgod: 1:18am On Jan 27, 2016
The Federal Government on Tuesday gave conditions for an out-of-court settlement with MTN Nigeria in respect of the N780bn fine imposed on the company by the Nigerian Communications Commission for having 5.2 million unregistered subscribers on its network.

At the resumed hearing of the suit it filed to challenge the fine, MTN’s lawyer, Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN), had pleaded with the presiding judge, Justice Mohammed Idris, to give the parties 60 days to explore the option of settlement out of court.

Answering questions from journalists at the unveiling of the Communications Sector Roadmap for 2016 to 2019 in Abuja, the Minister of Communications, Mr. Adebayo Shittu, ruled out the possibility of such a settlement until MTN had withdrawn the court case it instituted against the Federal Government and the NCC.

Confirming that MTN had made some moves for settlement after approaching the court for adjudication, Shittu said such moves were not acceptable until the case had been withdrawn from the court.

Another condition for an out-of-court settlement with the multinational telecoms operator, according to the minister, is the approval of a possible new deal by President Muhammadu Buhari.

The minister said, “The case is in court. It was MTN who took the government to court because they wanted to, perhaps, buy time or whatever. I don’t want to cast any aspersion. I am aware also that after going to court, they have made certain moves but you know that in matters like this, sensitive issues are involved.

“As far as we are concerned, there can be no out-of-court settlement except the case is withdrawn from the court so that the government will not be put under pressure. If the case is out of court and if they make further moves, Mr. President may graciously make a decision. But now, I am not aware of any out-of-court settlement talks.”

The minister also confirmed that the Federal Government had opened talks for the purchase of two new communications satellites to serve as backups for the Nigerian communications satellite also known as NigComSat-1R that was put in the orbit in 2011.

Shittu also directed all Ministries, Departments and Agencies of the Federal Government to repatriate all government data being hosted abroad to local data centres.

The minister, who gave the directive at the First Annual Data Summit hosted by the Office for Nigerian Content Development in ICTs in Abuja, said the Federal Government was committed to implementing the local content guidelines issued by the National Information Technology Development Agency in 2013.

He said it was necessary to host all government data locally for security purposes and for job creation, adding that the contribution of the communications sector to the nation’s Gross Domestic Product had risen to 11 per cent by September 2015.
www.punchng.com/fg-gives-conditions-for-out-of-court-settlement-with-mtn/

Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by ernecy(m): 1:21am On Jan 27, 2016
I concur with the minister, and mtn won't want to mess up they biggest cash cow (nigeria ) since they inception and still generating tremendous profit.
Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by eyesofgod: 1:36am On Jan 27, 2016
MTN hasn't realised that it is operating in a new political environment where corporate recklessness cannot be overlooked. All alike must be held accountable for their misdeeds no matter your status.
Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by TheDevilIsALai: 1:47am On Jan 27, 2016
I have no pity for MTN .

They were the ones that flouted the NCCs directive not to allow their network to be used for political campaigns as there is no provision in the electoral act allowing campaign through this medium but they neglected it and carried APC campaigns to their subscribers.

Now the APC is striking hard on them.

Lolz.
Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by chriskosherbal(m): 1:51am On Jan 27, 2016
Let's Mtn and the federal government settle their long time wahala jare, so that customers can be enjoyin quality service.
Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by jbbaba(m): 2:03am On Jan 27, 2016
NICE ONE THERE DEY SHOULD PAY E MONI
Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by DeRoyalFranco(m): 2:04am On Jan 27, 2016
Abeg shey na the MTN wey dey campaign for APC be dis or another one?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by TheDevilIsALai: 2:05am On Jan 27, 2016
DeRoyalFranco:

Just like Dasuki dem sef don dey hear am.
Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by TimeManager(m): 2:37am On Jan 27, 2016
and wailers would tell me not to love this government. A government that could order & effect the repatration of our data. Successive governments( call it political arrangement) in the last 16yrs were only interested in yam eating that they threw meticulosity to the wind. How can govt data be abroad? In thd hands of some individuals/ organisation? Perhaps in the coffers of some known/unknown enemies of the state? at the detriment of our country. In view of this order, the govt must read the riot act to whosoever in possession of government data while deal with defaulters decisively.
The truth has spoken!
Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by eyesofgod: 2:45am On Jan 27, 2016
DeRoyalFranco:

Does MTN do aything free?
Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by mafiamanager(m): 6:27am On Jan 27, 2016
since i dey dis country na now i dey feel d effect of leadership. Baba fire on, wuta salao
Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by babyfaceafrica: 7:25am On Jan 27, 2016
Nice one
Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by Nonybb: 7:31am On Jan 27, 2016
Mtn should be punished greatly for series of unaccounted deductions made to my line since 2004. They must pay that fine
Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by Pavore9: 7:34am On Jan 27, 2016
MTN wanted to play smart.
Re: FG Gives Conditions For Out-of-court Settlement With MTN by princemillla(m): 7:41am On Jan 27, 2016
Mr shittu.... My prayers are with u.

Mtn must pay that money, not because we so need it but to serve deterrent to others and to show the world we can stand by any sanction. No more business as usual

(1) (Reply)

Behind The Scene Plots That Led To Sacking Of Barrister Obetta By Nnamdi Kanu. / See What APC Did In During #akwaibomelections / Shocking Truths Emerge As Dead Woman Attends Her Funeral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.