Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,978 members, 7,903,128 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 04:30 AM

Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ (28147 Views)

Covenant University Suspends Final Year Students For Missing Easter Programme / Police Arrests Adeyeye Olorunfemi, UNILAG Student Rusticated Over Facebook Post / Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by Lastanza: 2:22pm On Jan 28, 2016
There is relatively nothing wrong in his post. Sometimes wen you want to speak raw truth, you have to embellish it a bit especially wen you have a volatile audience. He wrote from his higher level of understanding and didn't consider the understanding capacity of his audience and environment.

I think where he faultered was in his response to the query. Dat response sounds arrogant and lack of respect to a higher and constituted authority. He should av been more polite in his response as an employee.
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by gbens2000(m): 2:29pm On Jan 28, 2016
dason4life:

There is Freedom Of Speech but No Freedom After Speech grin
a won Ryan may weather
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by Hazardhandsome(m): 2:31pm On Jan 28, 2016
dragunov:
But if someone lies against you or say untruthful things about you it ain't gonna hurt nu? Who says being hurt is the only yardstick for measuring truth? Nu?
if really someone lied against me,how do u expect me to react? counterattack or defensive?
Both strategy may make or mar my genuine intentions. so,how will I contain d propaganda against my reputation and name?
D best way is to do nothing. And wen I say nothing,I mean nothing. just observe.
seriously, d truth does not need a lawyer.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by adenine02: 2:40pm On Jan 28, 2016
Welcomme:
I was born and brought up in the north. I did all my schooling from creche to university in the north, but truth b told, northerns hate the truth. Most especially if u dare speak against islam or north, they can make life unbearable n uncomfortable for you. I hav so many of my lecturers as facebook friends. If u see the hate post these hausa lecturers post against Christians n other tribes, yet nothing is done to them. I can bet my life with u, If this guy is a muslim, and he made a hate post against xianity n south, nobody would say anytin or raise eyebrow, but because he is a xtian that was y they did that to him..

pls share one of such post

but note the president have support all over the country, not just d north.
shalom
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by Lildrizzle(m): 2:42pm On Jan 28, 2016
ticker:
will it kill you to be positive for once in your life? how much were you paid to do this work? for godsake what is your business with his affairs? this is wickedness
he is a lecturer in the department of political science in kasu so shut up
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jan 28, 2016
SamJed:
Why should someone be suspended because of what he posted....what happened to freedom of speech

..............and must you use the freedom of speech to incite violence.......
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by emmasege: 2:55pm On Jan 28, 2016
Loisemm:
Facebook and its ills. Come to more mature sites like Nairaland. Leave facebook for 'children'
This is why a number of matured individuals are afraid of facebook expressions, especially in this era of 'change'. Many of us know that APC government is very intolerant of criticisms and we would rather take cover under the canopy of nairaland than do so on facebbook and get sacked. This is a big lesson for many public servants, let us tread cautiously. These guys can fire, kill and even bury!
I am sure the guy ran out of the country for his safety because he knows what those "sai baba' boys are capable of doing.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by SamJed(m): 3:10pm On Jan 28, 2016
Rotentina:

..............and must you use the freedom of speech to incite violence.......
but that is the truth...he may have not meant to incite violence, he said the truth which is his opinion....i don't think what he said is enough to cause violence....any group that uses what he said to be violent are the ones looking for violence...truth be told if such comments concerns the south, i don't think any group will be violent...i wonder why it is the north that are ready to fight because of little matters.

4 Likes

Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jan 28, 2016
I posted this elsewhere.....but I am reposting it with some addendum...

Issues arising

1.Employers now look at your facebook page....so you better be careful about what you post there.If you want to make ''controversial'' comments....use Nairaland. smiley

Indeed , a recent court ruling made it possible for employers in the EU to read their worker's social media comments (Info here)

And employers have sacked workers in countries like the US for such comments. Indeed....workers have been advised to avoid positing wrong messages on the internet. (More here on dos and dont's for workers re social media)

2.The worker should not have been sacked. He made controversial comments , yes...but he made them in his private capacity, and not in his capacity as a Kaduna State University official/lecturer. He has a good case at the courts for reinstatement.

3,HOWEVER.....his comments were inflammatory. [i]The North has a long history of religious and tribal disturbances....especially since 2000....so Northern governors do not look kindly on comments veering into tribal issues. The chap critiqued APC....fine....but his critique strayed into religious and tribal sentiments[/i]Now....it is important to emphasize that Nigerians should be tolerant of all views...including offensive views....and if someone makes a comment insulting our religious beliefs,or tribe....sometimes ignoring such people is the best policy. Unfortunately....we have too many strong-heads in this country....not only in the North....so sometimes....sacrificing one lecturer'sjob is a small price to pay for keeping thousands alive.(And the last thing the North needs is another ethno-religious crisis....not when Boko is still active.)

Keep in mind that he made offensive comments about a certain tribe and religion that could have incited violence. And in a region where they already have their hands full with Boko.....the last thing they need is crisis part two.

4.Something has to be done about the whole Middle Belt-Far north division.It was on display during the last election...and the only reason why the middle belt did not vote PDP overwhelmingly was because some of the PDP middle belt governors were awful.Still....the fact that Plateau,Kogi and Benue have APC governors does not mean all is well. Wounds have to be healed.

Finally...to those who say that the ''lecturer spoke the truth''....keep in mind that Kaduna State University employs people from varying tribal backgrounds. And Kaduna State is a multicultural state....and for the university to function properly....everyone has to be working in peace together (Which is a big reason why the University is after him).

I myself work in a working place where there are people from at least 10 Nigerian tribes.If I wrote on my facebook page that people from tribe X are trash....that might annoy staff members from tribe X at my working place....affect the working environment and by extension the productivity....and lead to problems for my employers....at which they would sack me,and get back their peaceful working place...and improved productivity.

Also....should the lecturer seek jobs abroad....universities outside might not wish to employ him because ''of his history of hate speech''.And that leads me to this fact....let us condemn hate speech....wherever,and whoever speaks it.It is one thing to critique the North's attitude to education,another to paint all Hausas using terms redolent of extremist thought.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by Forwetinnah: 3:23pm On Jan 28, 2016
..so he was suspended for speaking up against the APC and Boooooohari!! He was right after all...they worship the cattle rearer. In GEJs regime everyone was running their mouths without consequences now Overzealous Hell Rufai thinks its wise to suspended a lecturer for calling Booooohari out?

1 Like

Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by Chimakennis: 4:10pm On Jan 28, 2016
Bro are u dreaming no more freedom of speech in this country. Freedom of speech is long been buried by APC government, it is now talk and face the warrant.
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by WaffenSS(m): 4:59pm On Jan 28, 2016
The idiots who believe he's wronged by the university on account of a presupposed "freedom of speech" should know a thing or 2 about this freedom.

1. Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear was fired by BBC for making racist comments.
2. MP Diane Abbott was almost sacked for racist remarks.
3. Justine Sacco was sacked by her employer for racist remarks.
4. MP Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti was almost sacked for hate speech
5. There's a petition to bar Donald Trump from entering the UK due to hate speech.
6. Gareth Cliff fired from Idols after racist comments
7. MP Imran Syed sacked for inflammatory comments
8. Gerod Roth fired for racist comments
9. Hulk Hogan was fired from WWE over racist comments
10. Georgia school principal Nancy Gordeuk fired for racist remarks.

Why were all these people fired in the US, UK, India and so on? Dont they have "freedom of speech" ?

They were fired because they were placed in positions of authority and influence, and they betrayed that position and the trust implicit ion authority.

Exemplary leadership necessitates self censorship, because "with great power comes great responsibility".

Funny how the same people here supporting this man were quick to berate PMB over the "dog-and-baboon-soaked-in-blood" misquote. Wasnt PMB also entitled to free speech?

Even ironic was how this man, who evidently hates northerners, bears the name "Danfulani", which means "son of fulani".

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by lagosrd: 6:16pm On Jan 28, 2016
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by ukren(m): 7:21pm On Jan 28, 2016
This is democracy. The university should know where they are going.
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by Tex42(m): 9:09pm On Jan 28, 2016
Suspend or fire him, the guy just said the obvious truth. Knew Arewa won't like this, but they just confirmed his (John's) assertion...

Northerners see their Elites as gods...

Northerners are ignorant of the wide margin between politics and religion.

Naija sha

1 Like

Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by obialinaeze(m): 11:21pm On Jan 28, 2016
Aspireahead:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/197546-kaduna-university-suspends-lecturer-facebook-hate-speech.html

there is nothing wrong, what he said is the truth. I hate northern muslims,. I am in North, I knows them very well. if not, what is wrong with this? God will give him a better job in Jesus name. I am praying for northern Christians because they are as slaves. I know that God will help me and I will the north. Very bad animals.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by olatade(m): 6:36pm On Jan 29, 2016
I don't blame him it's because we give so much respect to these so called funny PhD holders in the country.
while their counterparts in advanced countries are in think tank conference rooms and providing solutions to social economic problems of their governments he is on social media preaching hate.
We as a country have not learnt from countries like Rwanda were a tribe were labelled COCROACHES and it all turned Genocide.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by yjgm(m): 7:21pm On Jan 29, 2016
SamJed:
Why should someone be suspended because of what he posted....what happened to freedom of speech
Freedom after speech is not guaranteed
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by dreblaze: 9:34pm On Jan 29, 2016
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
Pls the young man is entitled to his opinion. That is injustice of the highest order hence corruption in kasu. U better recall that lecturer....That's a personal issh and not official stuff pls.
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by iambijo(m): 10:03am On Jan 31, 2016
insycarc:
hate speech because it is the truth. I am sure the order was from one of Bubu's servant who happens to be the Governor of the state. The Day a southener can speak freely in the north without any issue or death threat is the beginning of a better nigeria
are northerner's speaking freely in the south ? What john dan fulani say's is absulute truth, we've lost our freedom of speech
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by Nooruddyne: 11:41pm On Feb 02, 2016
He Critisized 4 Things religion,region,people and government so there is a level that u can cretisize a government.Kaduna State Is a multi cultural society,any thing small can lead to set anything on fire.the guy is idiot he was acting out of his sence.
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by Nobody: 6:20pm On Feb 03, 2016
WaffenSS:
The idiots who believe he's wronged by the university on account of a presupposed "freedom of speech" should know a thing or 2 about this freedom.

1. Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear was fired by BBC for making racist comments.
2. MP Diane Abbott was almost sacked for racist remarks.
3. Justine Sacco was sacked by her employer for racist remarks.
4. MP Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti was almost sacked for hate speech
5. There's a petition to bar Donald Trump from entering the UK due to hate speech.
6. Gareth Cliff fired from Idols after racist comments
7. MP Imran Syed sacked for inflammatory comments
8. Gerod Roth fired for racist comments
9. Hulk Hogan was fired from WWE over racist comments
10. Georgia school principal Nancy Gordeuk fired for racist remarks.

Why were all these people fired in the US, UK, India and so on? Dont they have "freedom of speech" ?

They were fired because they were placed in positions of authority and influence, and they betrayed that position and the trust implicit ion authority.

Exemplary leadership necessitates self censorship, because "with great power comes great responsibility".

Funny how the same people here supporting this man were quick to berate PMB over the "dog-and-baboon-soaked-in-blood" misquote. Wasnt PMB also entitled to free speech?

Even ironic was how this man, who evidently hates northerners, bears the name "Danfulani", which means "son of fulani".

when El Rufai said Jesus Christ was Lover to Mary Magdalene, why was he not suspended for his utterance? When he insulted GEJ why was not executed? since apc took power, they are displaying what the opposition said about then.
Re: Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ by WaffenSS(m): 7:49pm On Feb 03, 2016
asuustrike2009:

when El Rufai said Jesus Christ was Lover to Mary Magdalene, why was he not suspended for his utterance? When he insulted GEJ why was not executed? since apc took power, they are displaying what the opposition said about then.

suspended from what, exactly?

He was a private figure then. And what he said, though offensive, is not racist or hate crime.

stop comparing apples to oranges in your bid to exonerate a clearly racist man.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet Favour Fabian Chiekezi: The Winner Of ICPC National Essay Competition / Oromoni Sylvester: Statement From Dowen College On Death Of 12-Year-Old Student / Strike: ASUU Chairman Asks Nigerian Students For Their Cooperation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.