Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,155 members, 7,890,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:15 AM

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna - Agriculture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna (151244 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Burn A Man's Farm In Ekiti After Being Warned (Photos) / My Little Ginger Sack Farm In The South East / Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Mercie123(f): 1:13am On Jun 19, 2016
vanpeele:

Patience is a virtue..I've never used poly before..I won't advice you to use it. If you live in KD...just go to the market and buy your 1k sacks.

I concur! grin

I live in Lagos so I'll continue my sack hunt.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by chiomilisa(f): 11:20am On Jun 19, 2016
@mercie and vampee thanks. I have finally gotten the Murano seed.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by knostbrown01(m): 7:04pm On Jun 19, 2016
Despite all odds, caught my cucumber plants fruiting.
Thanks to Vampeele, MrKong and organicfoods for coming to rescue from unforeseen infections

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by MrKong: 7:08pm On Jun 19, 2016
knostbrown01:
Despite all odds, caught my cucumber plants fruiting.
Thanks to Vampeel, MrKong and organicfood for coming to rescue from unforeseen infections
You are welcome smiley
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Brineharry: 8:44pm On Jun 19, 2016
Good day house. Pls I need help. Went to my farm yesterday and I saw my cucumber leaves dying off

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 10:09pm On Jun 19, 2016
Brineharry:
Good day house. Pls I need help. Went to my farm yesterday and I saw my cucumber leaves dying off

what variety?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by topgear(m): 10:27pm On Jun 19, 2016
K
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Brineharry: 7:02am On Jun 20, 2016
vanpeele:

what variety?
Murano f1
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 7:44am On Jun 20, 2016
Brineharry:
Murano f1
Ok..did you apply fertilizer the day before you took these pics? When watering, do you water the leaves?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by shogz89: 9:42am On Jun 20, 2016
@vanpeele please like how many sacks will be good for two plots of land if you also put continuity for all year harvest into consideration
2) how do you weed it
3) for people staying in lagos what's the best variety
4)i have poultry dung mixed with saw dust that has been in my compound for years under the sun and in the rain you can hardly differentiate it with normal earth soil, can it be used.
5) if am using a sack, will I have to perforate it.
6) comparing that polythene with sack, which is more cost effective
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 5:24pm On Jun 20, 2016
shogz89:
@vanpeele please like how many sacks will be good for two plots of land if you also put continuity for all year harvest into consideration
2) how do you weed it
3) for people staying in lagos what's the best variety
4)i have poultry dung mixed with saw dust that has been in my compound for years under the sun and in the rain you can hardly differentiate it with normal earth soil, can it be used.
5) if am using a sack, will I have to perforate it.
6) comparing that polythene with sack, which is more cost effective

1 Don't know. Would depend on the crop.
2. Little to no weed but if you most, with your hands.
3 Don't live in lag. You'll have to do some research on that
4. I personally hate poultry dung. organicfoods and mimmmms will help you on that.
5. Yes
6. That's what we'll find out on the next project
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by knostbrown01(m): 7:50pm On Jun 23, 2016
vickychuk:
Liquid fertilizer to be sprayed on the plants when they have more foliage.
Hand sprayer to substitute for knapsack sprayer till I save up to buy one.
Attacke pesticide to fight off the insects and NPK fertilizer to be fed to the plants on biweekly bases.

bro, hw is ur farm going?

does NPK works well for d cucumber?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vickychuk(m): 11:04am On Jun 24, 2016
knostbrown01:

bro, hw is ur farm going?

does NPK works well for d cucumber?
They just began producing female flowers about 2-3 days ago.... I took photos but kinda lost them accidentally (in truth I deleted them to free download space) .The NPK was superb considering the manure I put was small and I didn't add any more manure later. Best mode of application is via fertigation.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by knostbrown01(m): 7:21pm On Jun 27, 2016
@vanpeele, pls what sign or how will I know that my cucumber is ripe for harvesting?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by spafu(m): 12:04am On Jun 28, 2016
vanpeele:

1 Don't know. Would depend on the crop.
2. Little to no weed but if you most, with your hands.
3 Don't live in lag. You'll have to do some research on that
4. I personally hate poultry dung. organicfoods and mimmmms will help you on that.
5. Yes
6. That's what we'll find out on the next project
Hey bro, I am based in Kaduna and would like to meet up with you. I sent you a PM. Reply it please so we could work out a convenient time. Thanks in advance.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Lateef1Ismail: 8:33am On Jun 28, 2016
Please should the cement bag be perforated at the base
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vanpeele: 2:08pm On Jun 28, 2016
knostbrown01:
@vanpeele, pls what sign or how will I know that my cucumber is ripe for harvesting?

Cucumbers are harvested unripe. When its big and dark green. Don't let it turn yellow.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by knostbrown01(m): 7:19pm On Jun 28, 2016
@ vanpeele @vickychuk

Come see my first harvest from the test plot after going thru trainings from Nairaland...

Somebody say congratulations 2me oooo grin

Mercie123 where r you!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Pavore9: 7:24pm On Jun 28, 2016
knostbrown01:
@ vanpeele @vickychuk

Come see my first harvest from the test plot after going thru trainings from Nairaland...

Mercie123 where r you!

Is it possible to have your harvest weighed abi una don chop am already? grin
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by knostbrown01(m): 7:46pm On Jun 28, 2016
Pavore9:

Is it possible to have your harvest weighed abi una don chop am already? grin

I wanted to have it weighed but the way my neighbours were congratulating me Bcause they caught me harvesting it, so na to share it with them ooo

But me too don dey chop from my handiwork grin
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Pavore9: 8:10pm On Jun 28, 2016
knostbrown01:

I wanted to have it weighed but the way my neighbours were congratulating me Bcause they caught me harvesting it, so na to share it with them ooo

But me too don dey chop from my handiwork grin

Our people are good at greetings and congratulations during harvest! cheesy There is nothing wrong in sharing the first fruits, they rejoice with you for being productive.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by ishaqteejay(m): 11:16pm On Jun 28, 2016
knostbrown01:
@ vanpeele @vickychuk

Mercie123 where r you!

congrat another sack member.hurray

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Mercie123(f): 11:43pm On Jun 28, 2016
knostbrown01:
@ vanpeele @vickychuk

Mercie123 where r you!

Wooooowwwwwww!!!

Thank God you made it through it all. I guess I'm the only one left now. Chai! Well done my brother!

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by knostbrown01(m): 8:04am On Jun 29, 2016
I couldn't stop but to do this..

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by vickychuk(m): 7:59pm On Jun 29, 2016
knostbrown01:
@ vanpeele @vickychuk

Mercie123 where r you!

Lol congrats bro.... I picked some from my farm and everyone enjoyed it with groundnuts.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by INFOTECH2: 5:10pm On Jul 01, 2016
Good day

What do I do to my cucumber farm? Got to the farm today and I noticed the different color of the plant.

I have used karate to drive off pests and they were doing well before.

What can I do?

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by organicfoods(m): 6:43pm On Jul 01, 2016
INFOTECH2:
Good day

What do I do to my cucumber farm? Got to the farm today and I noticed the different color of the plant.

I have used karate to drive off pests and they were doing well before.

What can I do?
Your plant is lacking in nutrients...Once this happen, they are prone to diseases and pests attack. What you can do to savage the situation is to use Ginger and garlic extracts on it to reduce the fungi effects troubling the plant...then of course neem oil to handle pests, plus a good dose of liquid fertilizer to resuscitate the plants. You can learn how to make your own organic fertilizer from my thread here https://www.nairaland.com/3004153/resources-organic-farms but if you need ready made ones you can connect with me. I market the All Farmers Association of Nigeria Organic Fertilizer attached below.

Meanwhile, you have to water your plants very well to avoid stressing them. If you don't, no matter the nutrients in the soil, the plants will not be able to use them.

1 Like

Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by organicfoods(m): 6:53pm On Jul 01, 2016
Brineharry:
What you have is Downy mildew disease, a kind of fungi disease that can ravage your farm when not treated. Heavy rainfall and pest makes it easy for pest to transmit to the plants. For all organic farmer cultivating cucumber, you must have Ginger Garlic Extract handy. I did a post on how to make organic fungicides https://www.nairaland.com/2988731/making-own-cheap-organic-fungicides you will find it very useful.
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by Brineharry: 10:00pm On Jul 01, 2016
organicfoods:
What you have is Downy mildew disease, a kind of fungi disease that can ravage your farm when not treated. Heavy rainfall and pest makes it easy for pest to transmit to the plants. For all organic farmer cultivating cucumber, you must have Ginger Garlic Extract handy. I did a post on how to make organic fungicides https://www.nairaland.com/2988731/making-own-cheap-organic-fungicides you will find it very useful.
thanks
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by hyaly: 11:19am On Jul 02, 2016
Where is your location in Kaduna sir?
Re: My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna by INFOTECH2: 11:59am On Jul 03, 2016
organicfoods:
Your plant is lacking in nutrients...Once this happen, they are prone to diseases and pests attack. What you can do to savage the situation is to use Ginger and garlic extracts on it to reduce the fungi effects troubling the plant...then of course neem oil to handle pests, plus a good dose of liquid fertilizer to resuscitate the plants. You can learn how to make your own organic fertilizer from my thread here https://www.nairaland.com/3004153/resources-organic-farms but if you need ready made ones you can connect with me. I market the All Farmers Association of Nigeria Organic Fertilizer attached below.

Meanwhile, you have to water your plants very well to avoid stressing them. If you don't, no matter the nutrients in the soil, the plants will not be able to use them.

Thanks @organicfoods

I have applied fertiliser like 2weeks ago and I am really not sure it's nutirent issue.

On thing thing discovered though is that my staff used the sprayer that he used to spray maize(nicogold) without rinsing properly.

Nicogold is used to kill weeds on maize fields.

I just found out now so that's another lesson learnt and I have warned him seriously.

Any solutions please?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (24) (Reply)

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES / Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.