Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,336 members, 7,940,340 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 11:23 PM

How Not To Be A Newbie Blogger Even If You Are A Newbie - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Not To Be A Newbie Blogger Even If You Are A Newbie (458 Views)

3-step Process That Makes Up To $3,000 In 30 Days... Even If You Are A Newbie! / Help!!! Please, How Can A Newbie Make Quick Sales On Fiverr... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Not To Be A Newbie Blogger Even If You Are A Newbie by Nobody: 9:30am On Jan 30, 2016
Blogging = survival of the fittest.It’s seriously a jungle out there, and fornewly hatchedblogs, it’s even harder to survive.But, there are a number of things you can do right away as a“hatchling”to immediately gain ground “in the wild” and transform yourselffrom a newbie, to whatmay seem like a seasoned pro.Below is a list of things(big and small) that you can do as a newbie, so you don’t stand out as a newbie.1. A Professional Looking Domain NameIf you haven’t built your blog yet, I recommend grabbing a domain name and hosting package from a web hosting providersuch asBluehost. You can easily build your blog with their one-click WordPress install (in less than 4 minutes), and you’ll have the benefit of having aprofessional looking domain name.So, instead of having something like:yoursite.wordpress.comoryoursite..com…you’ll simply have:www.yoursite.comThe free blogs you cansetup on and .com aren’t bad. In fact, there are many successful ones out there – but if you’re planning to be asuccessful long-term blogger, then you might as well start on a self-hosted site.2. Update the Favicon For Your WebsiteA favicon is the little 16×16 icon that appears next to your web address at the topof most browsers, and it sometimes shows up next to the tabs or in the bookmarks section too.A new blog usually haswhat looks like a blanksheet of paper, or sometimes it’s your hosting provider’s logo. Either way, it screams “Newbie” to a lot of new visitors. Spend 5 minutes to update your favicon, and it can be a small detail that makes a bigimpact.To update your favicon, you’ll need to place a 16×16 pixel icon (namedfavicon.ico)into your website’s root folder. For WordPress users, that’s directly into yourpublic_htmlfolder. Youcan create a picture file in Photoshop and simply rename it tofavicon.ico, or you cancreate one easily for yourself on a website such asFavicon.cc.3. Update Your Permalink StructureThepermalinkis the URL that your blog creates when you publish new blog posts. By default, they usually come out looking ugly, like this:http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/?p=123 (where p=123simply means post#123)Not cool, and it definitely doesn’t do any good for search engine optimization.Before you write your first blog post, you should change the permalink settings to simply be the name of the post that you create. For WordPress users, it simply means doing exactly what the picture below shows:UnderSettings>Permalinks, click onCustom Structure, andinsert the code below into theCustom Structurefield:/%postname%/Your ugly URL problem solved, and now you look like you know what you’re doing.4. Skip the Unnecessary Plugins and WidgetsWhat’s nice about WordPress is that there are tons of plugins and widgets tochoose from that can do a wide variety of things for your blog, which makes customizationreallysimple. The problem with this feature is thata lot of people tend to go overboard.Not all plugins and widgets are useful. Be conscious about what plugins and widgets you’re placing on your site, and remember that sometimes less is more.What good does a calendar on a blog do anyways?5. Do Not Add an RSS CounterNew blogs shouldneverinclude an RSS counter, because a counter with only 9 subscribers is basically a huge sign that says: “Hi! I’m new at this!”Leave it out until you have over 100 subscribers (at least), and then you can incorporate it into yourblog if you really want it on there. In the meantime, work on your content and making other parts of your blog awesome.6. Add a Video To YourBlogA quick and easy way to establish yourself as someone who knows what their doing as a blogger is by adding a video ontoyour blog, preferably somewhere in your sidebar.A nicely recorded welcome message, or even a quick tip to share with new visitorscan definitely make you stand out from even the more experienced blogs in your niche.7. Format Your Blog PostsNewbie bloggers almost always write excellent material. It’s probably because they’re super excited about starting a new blog and the possibilities of what’s ahead.However, the format ofmany newbie posts always end up looking the same: a long, undivided post that resembles an essay.In other words, the posts are lacking headings, subheadings, bold keywords, italics, lists, white space,pictures, charts, diagrams, and even links!Take a look at some ofyour favorite blogs, and you can see that most are made up of several different parts, which makes it far easier to read and consume.It might take a little practice, but if you canstart off by writing blog posts with an eye-pleasing format, you’ll be far ahead in the game.Darren from Problogger.net wrote a fantastic post abouthow to polish your blog posts, which I definitely recommend you read before you even begin to write your first post.Tips From SPI ReadersI know I’ve only begun to scratch the surface about how to not blog like a total newbie, so I’m going to pass the baton to many of the SPI readers out there who do have experience with blogging, to hopefully add their own tips too. copied from this wonderful blog
http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/how-to-not-be-a-newbie-blogger-when-youre-a-newbie-blogger/
Re: How Not To Be A Newbie Blogger Even If You Are A Newbie by moriton(m): 9:47am On Jan 30, 2016
Am supposed to read all that.... Simple online referral job... Follow my signature below.
Re: How Not To Be A Newbie Blogger Even If You Are A Newbie by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 30, 2016
well I did and I just thought I should shear

(1) (Reply)

The Naira And 10 Questions For Gov. Emefiele. / Who Is Ready For March 1? / Guide To Affiliate Marketing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.