Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,358 members, 7,971,263 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 07:02 AM

Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties (17230 Views)

38 FRSC Traffic Offences & Their Penalties / 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties / 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by PBundles(m): 5:04pm On Feb 26, 2016
You should have mentioned the cut to the police in the event you dont want to pay these, aka my oga needs to talk to you fee.
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by sonnie10: 5:11pm On Feb 26, 2016
tatucci:

enlighten me, please.

Like I said earlier, no one does community service for traffic offense. Community service is usually punishment for violation of city ordnance. For example throwing pieces of trash on the road, playing music too loud or even sagging your pants.

Traffic offense is all about money. You are given a ticket for traffic offense, which you have to pay. Your car registration is linked with the ticket and for some, your drivers license. If you ignore or fail to pay after a given period (21 days), interest would start accumulating and it become more of a burden. Except you are contesting the ticket in court, it is your responsibility to pay. Since vehicle registration is renewed yearly, a ticket on your vehicle or license would prevent it from renewal. At that point, you can no longer drive legally with that vehicle or license as the case maybe.

The height of it is at the point when the traffic offense might become a criminal offense due to refusal to stop driving because of non-payment of over due ticket on your vehicle or license.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by ochukofortune(m): 5:19pm On Feb 26, 2016
Pls why is Lastma and VIO charges more expensive than the federal? If your car spends a night at Lastma, you will pay #1,000 for each day. And lastma officials are so arrogant and mean especially mile2,oshodi and festac ones...useless people
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by tatucci: 5:19pm On Feb 26, 2016
sonnie10:

It is all about money. You are given a ticket for traffic offense, which you have to pay. Your car registration is linked with the ticket and for some, your drivers license. If you ignore or fail to pay after a given period (21 days), interest would start accumulating and it become more of a burden. Except you are contesting the ticket in court, it is your responsibility to pay. Since vehicle registration is renewed yearly, a ticket on your vehicle or license would prevent it from renewal. At that point, you can no longer drive legally with that vehicle or license as the case maybe.

The height of it is at the point when the traffic offense might become a criminal offense due to refusal to stop driving because of non-payment of over due ticket on your vehicle or license.

Good luck.

hmm. thanks. i also wondered how they actually treated the whole ticket issue. thanks for the enlightenment.

so how about people who do community service?
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by sonnie10: 5:25pm On Feb 26, 2016
tatucci:

hmm. thanks. i also wondered how they actually treated the whole ticket issue. thanks for the enlightenment.

so how about people who do community service?

I edited my first response to include community service.

If I may ask, why do you want to know all these? Don't worry, you will be fine like everyone else.
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by zuzuonyi: 5:26pm On Feb 26, 2016
These rates don't apply in Rivers State. Even the Nigeria Police will threaten you with the disbanded TIMARIV rates. smh sad angry undecided
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by professore(m): 5:34pm On Feb 26, 2016
Nice to know some of the possible road offences
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by Bantino(m): 6:15pm On Feb 26, 2016
Nice one OP
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by erico2k2(m): 6:16pm On Feb 26, 2016
sonnie10:

No one does community service for traffic offenses.
Exactly as it's not a criminal offence however we don't know if the tradfic offences in Nigeria had be decriminalised or not and also if you are barred from driving and yoy went behind the wheels b4 the expiration of the Ban you will go to prison or do comunity service.
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by sonnie10: 6:20pm On Feb 26, 2016
erico2k2:

Exactly as it's not a criminal offence 9ja sha grin

Trust me, some people in nija would prefer community service to paying money for traffic offense. E no easy down there!
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by erico2k2(m): 6:23pm On Feb 26, 2016
sonnie10:

Like I said earlier, no one does community service for traffic offense. Community service is usually punishment for violation of city ordnance. For example throwing pieces of trash on the road, playing music too loud or even sagging your pants.

Traffic offense is all about money. You are given a ticket for traffic offense, which you have to pay. Your car registration is linked with the ticket and for some, your drivers license. If you ignore or fail to pay after a given period (21 days), interest would start accumulating and it become more of a burden. Except you are contesting the ticket in court, it is your responsibility to pay. Since vehicle registration is renewed yearly, a ticket on your vehicle or license would prevent it from renewal. At that point, you can no longer drive legally with that vehicle or license as the case maybe.

Good luck.
In what country ?
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by emi14: 6:25pm On Feb 26, 2016
tatucci:
We should look for ways to turn these offenders to useful purposes. I think abroad, instead of money you get to do some sort of community service or so. If someone offends, give them a trash can to go about picking trash in public places. or give them knives to cut grass. or any other useful activity...
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by emi14: 6:27pm On Feb 26, 2016
You will get ticket immediately and pay after a specified period.
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by erico2k2(m): 6:28pm On Feb 26, 2016
chrisxxx:
Except you are a lawyer please don't try or challenge Nigerian Road Safety with their laws otherwise you will find yourself begging for out-of-court settlement.
Let us see a typical example of how a little you think you know can lead you into pleading situation.
You were caught driving without seatbelt. The fine you know is #2000. See how this guys can make you beg to pay.
Their charge:
You were driving without seatbelt because you were drunk, 2 charges amount=2000 +5000=7000
(If you think you are not drunk you have to prove via legal means usually a very long process. And how do you prove you were not drunk when you were driving without seatbelt?)
In course of being drunk you violated traffic signs to overtake wrongly a car in front of you, 2 charges amount= 3000 + 3000=6000
Your adventurous driving amounts to dangerous driving even as you have violated road marking in your parking, 2 charges amount=50000+5000=55000
In your attempt to park you hit down our stop signage thereby amounting to road sign removal, 1 charge amount=5000
You challenged our officer who tried to approach for reprimand, not only this you assaulted him thereby obstructing him from carrying out his lawful duties, 2 charges amount 10000 + 2000=12000.
That you on noticing he is an officer of FRSC made attempt to bribe him, 1 charge amount 10000.
Please let us add the total=7000+6000+55000+5000+12000+10000=95000 if I am not mistaken.

Oga I have challenged them on many occasions and you should do too.no one can book you for over speeding unless they have a speed camera. No one can charge yoy for drink driving without a breathelizer. U gt to know ur rights

1 Like

Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by sonnie10: 6:37pm On Feb 26, 2016
erico2k2:

In what country ?

The country is not really of importance as traffic offense is regulated by States and not country by the state department of motor vehicle (DMV). On the other hand, city ordinance has to do with specific cities of the state. The law in one city might be different from another.
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by erico2k2(m): 6:40pm On Feb 26, 2016
sonnie10:

Trust me, some people in nija would prefer community service to paying money for traffic offense. E no easy down there!
Ahaha true. But if you are meant to clear rubish at the local market then you will think twice. Like at Oshodi mkt
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by erico2k2(m): 6:42pm On Feb 26, 2016
sonnie10:

The country is not really of importance as traffic offense is regulated by States and not country by the state department of motor vehicle (DMV). On the other hand, city ordinance has to do with specific cities of the state. The law in one city might be different from another.
Well it has to do with country cos the offence codes listed above are federal to one country Nigeria in this case and I know Nigeria has 40 contravention codes.
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by sonnie10: 6:52pm On Feb 26, 2016
erico2k2:

Ahaha true. But if you are meant to clear rubish at the local market then you will think twice. Like at Oshodi mkt

Oshodi market is even better, because of the enormous crowd there, nobody cares about what you are doing. Remember, community service also doubles as a way to shame an offender. A place like Oshodi market would not be an ideal place since there are people who are doing more humiliating things around there. So naturally, the offender will blend in such environment. Talk of going seeing a neat guy or a pot bellied "big man" sweeping or cutting grasses in a place like VGC or Ikeja Secretariat, then that is humiliating.
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by sonnie10: 6:56pm On Feb 26, 2016
erico2k2:

Well it has to do with country cos the offence codes listed above are federal to one country Nigeria in this case and I know Nigeria has 40 contravention codes.

You probably missed the point somewhere along the line. My earlier response was to someone who wanted to know how it works "abroad."
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by erico2k2(m): 7:09pm On Feb 26, 2016
sonnie10:

You probably missed the point somewhere along the line. My earlier response was to someone who wanted to know how it works "abroad."
Ok noted.
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by spicytayomic(m): 7:28pm On Feb 26, 2016
standby:
People, you should know your rights.

Just incase you violate any traffic regulations and you are caught in the act, you should know your rights. Don't let any corrupt official tell you that you have to pay absorbed amounts of money like N50,000 for minor road offences.

We need to find a way to stop crooked officials living off extorting commuters for "so-called" offences.

Offences & Penalties

http://frsc.gov.ng/offences-and-penalties
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by shumuel(m): 8:48pm On Feb 26, 2016
standby:

Just incase you violate any traffic regulations and you are caught in the act, you should know your rights. Don't let any corrupt official tell you that you have to pay absorbed amounts of money like N50,000 for minor road offences.

We need to find a way to stop crooked officials living off extorting commuters for "so-called" offences.

Offences & Penalties

grin kikiki Lol, Op, so you don't know in Nigeria all road offences are DGD - N50,000 ? Lwkm grin
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by eboox(m): 8:49pm On Feb 26, 2016
kk,what of dwifin wif efritin complete
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by iyerikan12: 9:12pm On Feb 26, 2016
Thanks, is well understood. but please is it the work of FRSC, POLICE or VIO?
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by poweredcom(m): 9:49pm On Feb 26, 2016
Penalty kor freekick ni

Story for the gods
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by mikolo80: 2:46am On Feb 27, 2016
tatucci:

enlighten me, please.
you pay big money for traffic offense in the abroad
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by Localamos(m): 6:44am On Feb 27, 2016
babdap:
He too long

Keep it handy because you might find it handy one day. Ignorance is no excuse.
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by 9icetoo(m): 7:24am On Feb 27, 2016
going to print this and keep. as we can all see, there is no provision in there for expired tires or cracked wind screen.
these two are FRSC cashcows at the moment. they milk unsuspecting motorists based on these two daily.
a smashed wind screen impairs vision while a cracked wind screen doesnt . as such it doesn't pose any danger.
a worn out tire is not same as an expired tire. of which FRSC cannot say a tire is expired cos no tire carries an expiry date but rather a manufacture date.
also note that having a luggage or two on your roof. rack is not overloading unless the luggage exceeds the dimensions of your car and makes the vehicle unstable.
the roof rack was installed in some cars to carry load and not for fancy.

1 Like

Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by Chuksyno(m): 8:06am On Feb 27, 2016
standby:

Offences & Penalties

I laughed in swahili when I gone through No 28. So are you telling me that FRSC Officers are saints?
Re: Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties by zurine(f): 10:20am On Feb 27, 2016
wow

(1) (2) (Reply)

Watch BMW's Car-To-Car Refueling During M5 8Hr Drift Setting 2 New World Records / Hyundai And Kia To Recall 240,000 Cars Over Whistleblower Complaint / This Guy Made Various Car Sounds With His Mouth. They Sound So Real (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.