Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,227 members, 7,880,855 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:14 AM

Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried (33371 Views)

Governor Wike Vs Governor Ambode - See Gobe (photos) / Rivers: Updates At The Supreme Court Wike Vs Dakuku / Live Updates: Rivers State Gov. Election Petition Verdict: Wike Vs Peterside (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Cekpo34(m): 5:41pm On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
The supreme Court as the final arbiter, has brought to an end, a legal tussle between Nyesom Wike and Peterside Dakuku on the validity or otherwise of the election conducted in April in Rivers State by the Independent National Electoral Commission.

While I am saddened by the judgment that emanated from the Supreme Court, in which, in their "well considered" opinion, set aside the decision of the Election Tribunal and that of Appeal court on the subject matter, but affirmed The election that brought Nyesom Wike into power, as a legitimate and proper one. Though this seems in variance with public outcry both within and outside the country that followed the election, that had been described by many, as the most murderous, Violence- filled, and rigged election ever conducted anywhere in the Country. I am more worried for the fate of the opposition in the elections that are going to be held from now on.

Should The Opposition Be Worried?
I don't think many people especially of the PDP, have not realized the implication of the said judgment in the "life" of free and fair election in the Country, from now on.
It would be recalled that INEC, worried by the cases of incessant ballot snatching, tampering of voters register, snatching of result sheets and other electoral vices, genuinely came up with a masterstroke...a technology called Card Reader Machines, which sole aim was, to instill fear in the would be election riggers and also to render their "efforts" meaningless to an extent.

Consequently, to the Crédit of The Card Readers, a certain President Buhari Of the then opposition party (APC) Won an election, Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo(PDP) Won election in APC filled State, Rochas Okorocha Won an election in a PDP Filled State Of Imo etc.

The implication of the Judgment:
Recall, the major ground of Nyesom Wike's Appeal, was on the non admissibility of the Card reader as a part of the election guidelines as enshrined in the Electoral Act and the 1999 constitution as amended, which the Supreme court in their opinion agreed with Wike and discarded the Use Card Readers as a part of election process.

Now what has the Apex Court done? It has returned INEC to the era of Manual accreditation and validation of voters card. It has returned everybody to the era of the "highest rigger takes all". It has energized ballot snatches. In fact it has removed every normalcy in the conduct of subsequent elections.. Yes that is what the Supreme Court has done..

So when next you hear of a political Party boasting of winning all the contested seats, it is not a fluke, it is achievable. And if you are contemplating of going to court, anyway I wish you "Supreme Court" luck..

~Miss Ngene.

Am sure the electoral act will be further amended to accommodate Card Reader! Nice observation sha!

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by zicoraads: 6:02pm On Jan 31, 2016
Lalasticlala...must every trash be on the Home Page? undecided
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by hush15: 6:05pm On Jan 31, 2016
MaziOmenuko:
This has been my worry! The supreme court is about to destroy all the efforts of former inec boss in checkmating rigging and ballot snatching. After the horrid display we saw in rivers election, validating it will only harden the hearts of die-hard riggers to return to the era of ballot snatching and stuffing.

This is a supreme mistake but not totally the fault of the supreme court. The court is a court of law, and not a court of justice. Meaning that it takes decisions only backed by law and constitution. It only upheld what the constitution said and not what we believe is right or wrong.

The way forward...

What's is wrong with Nigerians sef. A man won at the courts and you are using it to promote violence...

Why is APC and all they think is violence when they want to have their way...

Like someone said, nobody has monopoly of violence. Bring it on....

This can obly be corrected by the nass. Let the national assembly ammend the electoral act to include a consistent and mandatory use of the card reader. This way, cases coming to the courts will have a legal and constitutional backing. Else, we are back to the horrible days of electoral violence and where the most violent taketh it by force.
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by BeauHomme: 6:05pm On Jan 31, 2016
Ngene, pls why are you doing this?

Anyone who followed the Agbaje(PDP) vs Ambode(APC) case would have known that APC's insistence on card reader in the Rivers election case had suffered a big blow through APC's victory at the Lagos tribunal. Wike's(Rivers,PDP) prayer as regards card reader was the same as Ambode's(Lagos,APC). If supreme court did not reverse the Appeal court ruling in favour of Ambode, why would you expect them to contradict their stance with the Rivers case? They can only follow precedence.

Lagos' Agbaje vs Ambode case, which Ambode(APC) won, was the case that killed the justification for card reader(and not the Wike vs Peterside case as you intend to establish). In Wike vs Peterside, supreme court wouldn't have contradicted their earlier stance on a related matter.

Mrs Ngene, you know all these, don't you? Speak it as it is, madam. You have your political views which I respect, but by adulterating facts just to push such views down our throats, I think you're going too far Ma.

NgeneUkwenu:
The supreme Court as the final arbiter, has brought to an end, a legal tussle between Nyesom Wike and Peterside Dakuku on the validity or otherwise of the election conducted in April in Rivers State by the Independent National Electoral Commission.

While I am saddened by the judgment that emanated from the Supreme Court, in which, in their "well considered" opinion, set aside the decision of the Election Tribunal and that of Appeal court on the subject matter, but affirmed The election that brought Nyesom Wike into power, as a legitimate and proper one. Though this seems in variance with public outcry both within and outside the country that followed the election, that had been described by many, as the most murderous, Violence- filled, and rigged election ever conducted anywhere in the Country. I am more worried for the fate of the opposition in the elections that are going to be held from now on.

I don't think many people especially of the PDP, have not realized the implication of the said judgment in the "life" of free and fair election in the Country, from now on.
It would be recalled that INEC, worried by the cases of incessant ballot snatching, tampering of voters register, snatching of result sheets and other electoral vices, genuinely came up with a masterstroke...a technology called Card Reader Machines, which sole aim was, to instill fear in the would be election riggers and also to render their "efforts" meaningless to an extent.

Consequently, to the Crédit of The Card Readers, a certain President Buhari Of the then opposition party (APC) Won an election, Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo(PDP) Won election in APC filled State, Rochas Okorocha Won an election in a PDP Filled State Of Imo etc.

Recall, the major ground of Nyesom Wike's Appeal, was on the non admissibility of the Card reader as a part of the election guidelines as enshrined in the Electoral Act and the 1999 constitution as amended, which the Supreme court in their opinion agreed with Wike and discarded the Use Card Readers as a part of election process.

Now what has the Apex Court done? It has returned INEC to the era of Manual accreditation and validation of voters card. It has returned everybody to the era of the "highest rigger takes all". It has energized ballot snatches. In fact it has removed every normalcy in the conduct of subsequent elections.. Yes that is what the Supreme Court has done..

So when next you hear of a political Party boasting of winning all the contested seats, it is not a fluke, it is achievable. And if you are contemplating of going to court, anyway I wish you "Supreme Court" luck..

~Miss Ngene.

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by smartleo(m): 6:06pm On Jan 31, 2016
vayne:
So all of a sudden,you realize there are going to be implications/consequences because a court verdict favored a legitimately elected governor wike,the slayer of APC.. grin

What were you expecting after rigging your way to power with same card reader!

Is it not funny how a supporter of the ruling party is wailing for opposition when it's supposed to be the other way round? sad

Mr man By the way,where is your source because we all know you are only able to talk and spit venom(in your small mind) whenever Biafra/nnamdi kanu is mentioned!
This writer above me seems not to understand the points of the OP.please read the post without a politically and tribalism frame mindset.THIS POST IS ONE OF THE BEST POST I HAVE EVER READ ON NL.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by smartleo(m): 6:07pm On Jan 31, 2016
vayne:
So all of a sudden,you realize there are going to be implications/consequences because a court verdict favored a legitimately elected governor wike,the slayer of APC.. grin

Is it not funny how a supporter of the ruling party is wailing for opposition when it's supposed to be the other way round? sad

Mr man By the way,where is your source because we all know you are only able to talk and spit venom(in your small mind) whenever Biafra/nnamdi kanu is mentioned!

This writer above me seems not to understand the points of the OP.please read the post without a politically and tribalism frame mindset.THIS POST IS ONE OF THE BEST POST I HAVE EVER READ ON NL.
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by zicoraads: 6:08pm On Jan 31, 2016
But sincerely speaking, I am starting to get concerned about Omenka's well being grin cheesy

Cc:Firefire embarassed

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by zicoraads: 6:09pm On Jan 31, 2016
smartleo:

Best post you say?
Surely, you meant it as an irony wink grin
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Firefire(m): 6:14pm On Jan 31, 2016
zicoraads:
But sincerely speaking, I am starting to get concerned about Omenka's well being grin cheesy

Cc:Firefire embarassed

I fear for his whereabout also, please tag me once you finds him. I hope he is well. embarassed

At least we have heard from Mr. Ngenekwenu.
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Godiloveu(f): 6:18pm On Jan 31, 2016
vayne:

Both can wail till Jesus comes,the card readers are here to stay..Pdp is here to stay..Akwa ibom loading..

This is why they were trying to implicate tompolo,so they can reduce his influence in niger delta/SS,knowing fully well that he is loyal to Pdp.

Uncle, it is a give and take, APC have given R/state to PDP, to get A-Ibom state. Shikena!
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by mrDennis(m): 7:05pm On Jan 31, 2016
I will like to ask all of us then serving corpers who presided over elections using card reader.

Because the ignorant majority here don't even know the number of lives saved by the Use of card readers.

That thing is THE BEST THING EVER done , it's not by force it reads ur thumbprint ., it's main duty is to ensure accredited voters no pass ballots , I'm ashamed of my then fellow corpers who allowed themselves be swayby money especially in akwa ibom where total votes were over 100% higher than accredited voters.

Later these same people will be complaining naija is hard cos the big 10-20k they got has finished and their eyes are opened .

The card reader works , it reads the card. Confirms it a original and that his polling unit. If finger print doesn't work. U look at the voters face , look at the voters card and if they are the same let him vote #simple .

Politicians are not our problem... Our lack of foresight is the problem . If someone offers me 10k to rig for him I have to ask myself how such a person plans to recoup his investment?

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by frankyychiji(f): 7:25pm On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

But at least you agreed, the Use of Card readers are now in the past! The field is wide opened now!
Give us the source of that bullshit you posted up there coz you have noodles for brains and couldn't compose that.
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by bashydemy(m): 8:14pm On Jan 31, 2016
vayne:

The way you reason baffle me i swear, You call wike slayer of APC? now who is the slayer of PDP? Ameachi, Tinubu Buhari etc, The render PDP to be a regional party and winning more states....
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by baralatie(m): 8:23pm On Jan 31, 2016
BeauHomme:
Ngene, pls why are you doing this?

Anyone who followed the Agbaje(PDP) vs Ambode(APC) case would have known that APC's insistence on card reader in the Rivers election case had suffered a big blow through APC's victory at the Lagos tribunal. Wike's(Rivers,PDP) prayer as regards card reader was the same as Ambode's(Lagos,APC). If supreme court did not reverse the Appeal court ruling in favour of Ambode, why would you expect them to contradict their stance with the Rivers case? They can only follow precedence.

Lagos' Agbaje vs Ambode case, which Ambode(APC) won, was the case that killed the justification for card reader(and not the Wike vs Peterside case as you intend to establish). In Wike vs Peterside, supreme court wouldn't have contradicted their earlier stance on a related matter.

Mrs Ngene, you know all these, don't you? Speak it as it is, madam. You have your political views which I respect, but by adulterating facts just to push such views down our throats, I think you're going too far Ma.

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by alexlee50: 8:33pm On Jan 31, 2016
Nellybii:

I have people in Rivers and before Wikes election they said Dakuku will win but it will be rigged in favour of Wike.So it happened. Here am surprised you talk as if APC or Dakuku are zero in Rivers. So how did APC win all LG chairman seat before Wike? Educate me.
it was easy, that election was conducted by the state independent electrocal commission.there was virtually no election in any of the local governments in rivers state.let me tell you a little about the south south people. To them Jonathan was their person and they shared that sentiments. Watch what will happen in the state assembly and senatoral election. It's PDP all the way
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by smartleo(m): 8:35pm On Jan 31, 2016
zicoraads:
Best post you say? Surely, you meant it as an irony wink grin
Best in its original form,although perspective differs
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by nwadiuko1(m): 8:45pm On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

~Miss Ngene.

if the inec head is wise he or she would push for it to be included in the next constitutional amendment before the next election
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by payosehtor(m): 8:53pm On Jan 31, 2016
bloodkiIler:
any state or constituency that apc wants to take by force will meet a brutal resistance by the people
ask the useless timipre sylva cheesy
the op was only expressing her fears for the precedent set by that judgment. the old pdp you're braging about her ability to resist has no monopoly of violence or resistance.but is that best for us
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by nwadiuko1(m): 8:55pm On Jan 31, 2016
asha80:
the supreme court judgement is the only hope okezie ikpeazu pdp in abia have in getting back the abia seat..if supreme court maintained that election in rivers be cancelled then have it that okezie ikpeazu's election nullification would have been upheld by supreme court
please explain
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by payosehtor(m): 9:34pm On Jan 31, 2016
MaziOmenuko:
This has been my worry! The supreme court is about to destroy all the efforts of former inec boss in checkmating rigging and ballot snatching. After the horrid display we saw in rivers election, validating it will only harden the hearts of die-hard riggers to return to the era of ballot snatching and stuffing.

This is a supreme mistake but not totally the fault of the supreme court. The court is a court of law, and not a court of justice. Meaning that it takes decisions only backed by law and constitution. It only upheld what the constitution said and not what we believe is right or wrong.

The way forward...

This can obly be corrected by the nass. Let the national assembly ammend the electoral act to include a consistent and mandatory use of the card reader. This way, cases coming to the courts will have a legal and constitutional backing. Else, we are back to the horrible days of electoral violence and where the most violent taketh it by force.
MaziOmenuko:

The way forward...

MaziOmenuko:

The way forward...

a constitutional loophole discovered by a corruption prone party (pdp) just watch out how those 'stealing is not corruption' appostles will resist any attempt 2 constitutionalis de card readers
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by chrisxxx(m): 9:38pm On Jan 31, 2016
Supreme Court in their wisdom knew the real sponsors of the violence prior, during and after the election. The person has this antecedent of sponsoring violence.
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by fof1: 9:53pm On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

~Miss Ngene.

NGENE
U ARE VERY VERY WRONG. UR ANALYSIS IS AN APOLOGY. PLS STOP ALL THIS TRASH. WHATS D PERVENTAGE OF D PPLE THAT DISAGREED WITH D VETDICT OF D SUPREME COURT? U ARE DISILLUSIONED.

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by charmingeyes(m): 10:29pm On Jan 31, 2016
MaziOmenuko:

The way forward...

To me, the situation was worsened by the inability of the card readers to perform. If INEC uses functional card readers, it will not unnecessarily become ground for debate concerning election authenticity.
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by osusuallstars: 11:07pm On Jan 31, 2016
was card reader used in the north were the dullard won overwhelmingly. remember pictures of children queuing to vote.
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by godwinkessi: 1:50am On Feb 01, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

That is it!

So opposition should be worried cos it favoured them? This Yoruba boy is really mad. ****
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Nobody: 2:44am On Feb 01, 2016
vayne:

**** how on earth will.a normal person be happy that PDP, that ruled Nigeria for 16 yes, with nothing to show for it can still win elections and litigations? we are black fools in Nigeria...how else will a man vote for a party that ruined he's future and destryoyrd his nation? I pity our future... return PDP to power and subject yourselves to eternal ddamnation...if I were d APC, I'd rig every election and payback the PDP as well as save d people from this bunch of shameless thieves who are nof being punished
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by asha80(m): 8:52am On Feb 01, 2016
nwadiuko1:
please explain
it is self explanatory unless you want to pretend
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by nwadiuko1(m): 9:32am On Feb 01, 2016
asha80:
it is self explanatory unless you want to pretend
sorry I was a little sleepy when I read it. . now I understand.....thanks
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Babacele: 9:32am On Feb 01, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

~Miss Ngene.

hmmmmmm.....but courts ain't no father Xmas. I blame our lawyers who played into the hands of Olanipekun. He lull them into false victory n allowed him dictate the theme of the case. it is a bitter lesson. I m waiting for their reasons though.
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Babacele: 9:35am On Feb 01, 2016
chrisxxx:
Supreme Court in their wisdom knew the real sponsors of the violence prior, during and after the election. The person has this antecedent of sponsoring violence.
and who is the person? abi u d fear or lie ni?
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by chrisxxx(m): 10:02am On Feb 01, 2016
Babacele:
and who is the person? abi u d fear or lie ni?
Bros I follow Fela pattern. You r free to complete it. The person sponsored violence when Omehia was the governor.
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Babacele: 10:20am On Feb 01, 2016
chrisxxx:

Bros I follow Fela pattern. You r free to complete it. The person sponsored violence when Omehia was the governor.
No dey spread lies just tell us how, when ,n who. real felasophers name names n call spade by its name. abi U no know Fela? Go ask . We Felasophers no dey fear n no dey lie.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Canceled South-South Meeting: Garba Shehu Reacts / Rivers Crisis: We Won, They Failed – Fubara Mocks Wike During Crossover / Okorocha Relaxing With His Grandchildren & Daughter, Uloma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.