Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,748 members, 7,875,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:57 PM

Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) (6812 Views)

How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? / Sacked After Resumption From Maternity Leave / Maternity Leave And Lateness Issue: An Urgent Help Pls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) by chummybro(f): 11:47am On Jun 30, 2009
Hello to every woman on board and also to every man too, please I need your help. I want you all working in different organisation and Establishment to help me with maternity issues in your Establishments. these are the issues:
1) Pls how long is the maternity leave in your office or Establishment.
2) Pls during the leave, are you entitled to all the allowances as per your salary or is there any subtraction or addition?
3) Pls after the leave, when you final resume work, do you resume and also close with other colleagues?
4) pls do you have medicals in your Establishment? If yes, does it include you Delivery, or do sponsor it yourself?
5) pls in you Establishment, if you go on maternity leave this year, does it mean you can not go for maternity leave next year? must you stay up to two years after before you can go for maternity leave again?
6) whats the welfare package for a new born baby in your Establishment.

Please I need a reply to this topic, and a reliable reply. Even if you are not married ( I mean have not gone for maternity leave before, and you have an idea of how it is done in you Establishment, pls do well to send in your reply and my prayer is that soon you will go on such leave)

Men who have knowledge of this topic pls, send in your replies too. Thank you all as you give a good reliable reply to this.
Re: Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) by chy(f): 10:58am On Jul 01, 2009
1. It is normally three months leave if you want you can include your leave for the yr making
it four months
2. It depends on the org. but you are suppposed to get your full pay
3. You resume normal time and close an hr before normal closing time
4. In my org. there is no law. but you need to do child spacing cos of your career
5. This does not exist in my org
Re: Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) by MyPeace(f): 11:20am On Jul 01, 2009
1. For three months.
2. Your basic salary plus housing allowance, others are subtracted
3. You resume the normal time and close one hr early
4. Yes, we have medical insurance (we use unic insurance), and we are under the maternity option for the married female only.
5. Not sure how its done, but dont think its a problem here.
6. Not sure of it.
Re: Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) by JJYOU: 1:07pm On Jul 01, 2009
chummy_bro:

Hello to every woman on board and also to every man too, please I need your help. I want you all working in different organisation and Establishment to help me with maternity issues in your Establishments. these are the issues:
1) Pls how long is the maternity leave in your office or Establishment.
2) Pls during the leave, are you entitled to all the allowances as per your salary or is there any subtraction or addition?
3) Pls after the leave, when you final resume work, do you resume and also close with other colleagues?
4) pls do you have medicals in your Establishment? If yes, does it include you Delivery, or do sponsor it yourself?
5) pls in you Establishment, if you go on maternity leave this year, does it mean you can not go for maternity leave next year? must you stay up to two years after before you can go for maternity leave again?
6) whats the welfare package for a new born baby in your Establishment.

Please I need a reply to this topic, and a reliable reply. Even if you are not married ( I mean have not gone for maternity leave before, and you have an idea of how it is done in you Establishment, pls do well to send in your reply and my prayer is that soon you will go on such leave)

Men who have knowledge of this topic pls, send in your replies too. Thank you all as you give a good reliable reply to this.
u wan carry belle or wetin be all this baby thing all over the place?
Re: Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) by chummybro(f): 2:39pm On Jul 02, 2009
Thank you for the reply but can you tell me the establishment, but where you can not, just tell me the type say bank, oil and gas or Telecommunication.
Re: Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) by kamsi(f): 6:47pm On Jul 02, 2009
from you post i can deduce that you must working ih the human resources department and propably new to it.
Anyway According to the Nigerian labour law a woman is entitled to 12 weeks maternity leave which can be started 6weeks before the EDD and end 6 wks post-natal or however.

Salary is half pay according to labour law but coy might decide to give all to longer serving staff or whichever pleases them.
resumption could be 8 to 2 or 9 to 3 for 2 months. or 3 months

The norm should be that a HMO provides health coverage for staff and family also the plan shoulb include deliveries

Checks are put in place to discourage giving birth every year eg maternity leave should be every 18 mths ,

welfare package for newborn is inclusion in the hmo note under labour law it is only mandatory for staff including family members is basically coy welfare popose.

finally i think i know you, you work with an oil and gas firm right.
Re: Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) by Gentlelady(f): 7:19pm On Jul 07, 2009
In my organisation:-

1. Maternity leave is 12 weeks
2. All allowances are paid in full
3. You resume same time but close an hour earlier
4. Medical insurance is available and covers delivery even through CS
5. You can go for maternity every year but not twice a year
6. No welfare package for new baby
Re: Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) by lemonpluss(f): 9:07am On Jul 08, 2009
My maternnity leave was a whole year and i was paid 6 months full salary,3 months half salary and nothing for the remaining 3 months,so for this reason i resumed back to work after 9 months maternity.When i resumed back to work,i had to change my working contract to flexible hours becos paying for child minder is very expensive in london. cool
Re: Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) by ujubekee: 12:53pm On Jul 08, 2009
[url]My maternnity leave was a whole year and i was paid 6 months full salary,3 months half salary and nothing for the remaining 3 months,so for this reason i resumed back to work after 9 months maternity.When i resumed back to work,i had to change my working contract to flexible hours becos paying for child minder is very expensive in london.

lemonpluss, I hope u can help me secure a job in London bc from your response one has enough time with the new baby.
1. my coy gives 3 months maternity leave with full salary, on resumption u close 3 hrs before time four three months. To me it is not enough because if you are on baby friendly, you are forced to stop at 3 months. People suggest expressing breast milk for the baby but with the nature of electricity in Nigeria, it is not workable.
Re: Career Women, I Need Your Help Pls (Maternity Leave) by ApataRufus(m): 1:09pm On Jan 27, 2016
According to Section 54 of the Nigerian Labour Act, which deals with issue of this kind, see below, "copied and pasted" smiley

(1)In any public or private industrial or commercial undertaking or any branch thereof, or in any agricultural undertaking or any branch thereof, a woman-
(a) shall have the right to leave her work if she produces a medical certificate given by a registered medical practitioner stating that her confinement will probably take place within six weeks;
(b) shall not be permitted to work during the six weeks following her confinement;
(c) if she is absent from her work in pursuance of paragraph (a) or (b) of this subsection and had been continuously employed by her then employer for a period of six months or more immediately prior to her absence, shall be paid not less than fifty per cent of the wages she would have earned if she had not been absent; and
(d) shall in any case, if she is nursing her child, be allowed half an hour twice a day during her working hours for that purpose.
(2) Subsection (1) (c) of this section shall have effect notwithstanding any law relating to the fixing and payment of a minimum wage.
(3) No employer shall be liable, in his capacity as an employer, to pay any medical expenses incurred by a woman during or on account of her pregnancy or confinement.
(4) Where a woman-
(a) is absent from her work in pursuance of subsection (1) (a) or (b) of this section; or
(b) remains absent from her work for a longer period as a result of illness certified by a registered medical practitioner to arise out of her pregnancy or confinement and to render her unfit for work, then, until her absence has exceeded such a period (if any) as may be prescribed, no employer shall give her notice of dismissal during her absence or notice of dismissal expiring during her absence.
(5) In subsection (1) (d) of this section, "child" includes both a legitimate and an illegitimate child.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Public Health Job In Nigeria / Being Multilingual: How This Can Help Boost Your Career / Will My American Law Degree Be Recognized In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.