Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,295 members, 7,884,564 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 12:22 PM

Power Steering Problem: Gurus Assist Please: - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Power Steering Problem: Gurus Assist Please: (1189 Views)

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Power Steering Problem. / Genuine Automatic Transmission And Power Steering Fluid For Honda Vehicles / Babyboy Power Steering Problem; Smooth In D Morning, Stiff In D Afternoon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Steering Problem: Gurus Assist Please: by samstels: 10:34am On Jul 01, 2009
I am having problem with my wifes mitsubishi Galant 1995 model,ES 4 cylinder.

The power steering hoses keep pulling,i have changed the pump and all the hose clips but it keeps building pressure and pulling off the hoses.
I would need an advice from the gurus on what could be the problem.

I have adiviced the mechanic to check if there is a blocked .cou;d that be a reason?

Thanks so much.
Re: Power Steering Problem: Gurus Assist Please: by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 01, 2009
Sounds like you have a pressure problem.

The pump runs at a set pressure, more than the steering rack needs, or can cope with, so there's a restrictor in the high-pressure line. If this restrictor has collapsed internally, excessive pressure will build up - in extreme cases, it'll blow the seals out of the rack, and will eventually self-destruct. Think in terms of a mini-grenade.

You mentioned hose clips. Please tell me you don't have jubilee clips on the high-pressure line?? The pump runs at about 150 bar, no hose clips will sustain that! The high-pressure hose is secured to the pump and rack by banjo unions, make sure these are in place.

The pump itself also needs to be checked, are there any joins in the high-pressure hose? I only ask, because I've have a client who's high-pressure hose developed a leak, and some "mechanic" simply cut the damaged area out, and joined the hose with a length of copper pipe, and jubilee clips. Of course, it didn't hold under pressure.

If your high-pressure hose has been recently replaced, make sure it's an OEM Mitsubishi item, with the built-in restrictor, and not a hastily cobbled together special.
Re: Power Steering Problem: Gurus Assist Please: by sultaan(m): 4:34pm On Jul 01, 2009
Let me throw out a wild guess here.
I have a repair manual for that car(used to drive one)

I guess something happened earlier and they took off the hose, but it leaks after the fix.

The PS pressure line hose shouldn't come off easily, they have banjo bolts. Check if it is the send or return hose, how the filter is doing, and if they have the right fluids(spec on bottle).I think there is another that goes from cooler to reservoir 3/8 ID which probably uses a clamp

If Im' in a good mood I may offer to send te manual oversomeday if I can still find it.

Re: Power Steering Problem: Gurus Assist Please: by speakout: 5:11pm On Jul 01, 2009
I cant just hold on to my observations, i know little about autos but i must commend on your brilliant contributions u guys are really gurus, I dove my cap for two of u smiley
Re: Power Steering Problem: Gurus Assist Please: by samstels: 6:58pm On Jul 01, 2009
Sienna and sultan ,i am so happy for your prompt response to my plight.

I will suggest this to my mechanic,just that the mechanics around here are purely roadside and we just manage with what they can offer but all the same i will follow him up on your suggestions.

Once more ,i am proud of you guys who share some technical information with us.

Big up!

(1) (Reply)

2008 Corrolla Used(2.5m) / Toyota Camry 2001 Cleanner Than U Can Imagine / Ominira Omoyele Scammer Update!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.