Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,538 members, 7,885,204 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 05:28 AM

Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? (859 Views)

Loss File Of Literature Section. / How To Write Or Becoming An Author Without The Knowledge Of Literature / What You Must Know As A Writer Or As A Student Of Literature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by slap1(m): 10:58am On Jul 02, 2009
V.S Naipaul once declared that "the novel is dead". not many people agreed with him. but, seriously, i believe there are certain genres of literature that are fast going into extinction, like drama, poetry and, i think, short story. i could be very wrong, really. so i would like us to give our various opinion.
Re: Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Mitchelin(m): 12:05pm On Jul 02, 2009
I'd say drama as a genre is an endangered specie, at first I thought it was just a Nigerian phenomenon,but I mthink worlwide the same thing obtains though to a lesser degree. Theatre is still a big part of western culture, a real huge facet,but in the same vein we have more people queing up outside cinemas and movie houses than a venue for a play that's debuting.
Close in tow in my own view is short stories, come to think of it I think it ought to come as first. Most writers just don't do short stories anymore, at least writers that are doyens in the art.
Re: Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by argent(f): 5:00pm On Jul 02, 2009
Drama
Re: Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by iice(f): 6:20pm On Jul 05, 2009
Poetry and drama
Re: Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by doyin13(m): 7:46pm On Jul 05, 2009
If by drama, you mean the theatre, then I beg to differ.

There are still some big names involved in theatre, most notably
Kevin Spacey at the Old Vic.

Shows sell out on a regular basis and not just at the mainstream theatres
in the West End either. Take for example, Iya Ile by Femi Elufowoju at the Soho Theatre
and Wole Soyinka's Death and the King's Horseman at the National Theatre on the Southbank.

Poetry was never huge anyways , so I guess it has maintained an even keel all through, although
it did enjoy some notorious publicity over the Oxford Poetry post recently.
Re: Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by iniguy(m): 8:58pm On Jul 05, 2009
Poetry!
Re: Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by bluespice(f): 12:52am On Jul 06, 2009
drama, short stories and poetry

less and less writers delve into these genres
we are content in reliving the old 'classics'
Re: Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Ubiero(f): 12:41pm On Jul 23, 2009
Most likely poetry and prose.
Re: Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by nature777(m): 7:56pm On Jul 29, 2009
Definitely Drama and Poem!
Re: Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by Danny188(m): 11:16pm On Jul 29, 2009
Drama and poetry
Re: Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? by SeanT21(f): 7:13am On Jul 30, 2009
Fable, Fairy tale, Folklore

(1) (Reply)

Delegation: Phenomenon For Efficient Organization / Jobs Part Time / Our First Date.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.