Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,994 members, 7,890,253 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:43 AM

Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! (67162 Views)

IPOB Supporter Prostrates, Bows For Nnamdi Kanu (Photos) / Dimeji Bankole Prostrates Before Ooni Of Ife As Ooni Smiles / Doyin Okupe Prostrates, Begs Obasanjo For Forgiveness (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by Vyolet(f): 9:48am On Feb 06, 2016
I think there are some powers the Kings possess that make anyone that encountered them scared, I heard one can hardly look them in the eyes.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 06, 2016
anonimi:

I don't think that Governor Aregbesola, who gave him certificate of his appointment as Ooni prostrated to him.
The Agbaya of Owu has always been a very good CLOWN who knows what EXCITES his 200 million mumus fellow citizens and will duly entertain them accordingly so they FORGET the terrible CORRUPTION that he has bestowed upon us.
QED!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPytmuhYDAU

I think in a way it is OK to pardon your ignorance, what I don't get is the arrogance from someone who is unintelligent.

Aregbesola can not prostrate before him because he himself occupies another "throne", which democracy in Nigeria has deemed larger in political terms than that of the Ooni.

If VP Osinbajo comes to Ile-Ife, he may just bow, but will not prostrate cos he occupies a seat as the head of the nation.

once Osinbajo leaves the seat, then DUTY behooves him to prostrate before the throne.

you wouldn't know what proper cultural ethics are even if they smacked you in the face repeatedly.

China has held on to their culture so also India, yet they are progressing scientifically and technologically.

so your attempt to pin lack of development on culture is lame.

but then I can't say the same for your culture that requires a widow to scrape her hair, sleep with the corpse of her husband and drink water used to wash his body just to prove she didn't kill him.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by anonimi: 10:11am On Feb 06, 2016
Ioannes:
I think in a way it is OK to pardon your ignorance, what I don't get is the arrogance from someone who is unintelligent.

Aregbesola can not prostrate before him because he himself occupies another "throne", which democracy in Nigeria has deemed larger in political terms than that of the Ooni.

If VP Osinbajo comes to Ile-Ife, he may just bow, but will not prostrate cos he occupies a seat as the head of the nation.

Did I say something different from all that you typed above?
No!!!
BTW, is Vacant Pastor (VP) Osinbajo the "head of the nation" or is it Buhari
Yet you engage your brain (hopefully you have one) to call someone else unintelligent, right?
What a bloody HYPOCRITE you are.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3043813_img20151031182934_jpeg9e20f9096dfc108761ed3160bd879f5f

but then I can't say the same for your culture that requires a widow to scrape her hair, sleep with the corpse of her husband and drink water used to wash his body just to prove she didn't kill him.

You must be a super witch cum wizard to know where I am from on this faceless forum, innit
Abeg, you fit share me the jazz wey you take dey sabi things like that? I sure can use it to con and SCAM our fellow citizens who are hyper-religious and look unto charlatans-in-cassock to tell them their past, present & future grin

Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by asEdeyHOT: 10:40am On Feb 06, 2016
emzila:

I sometimes heard is an abomination for the king to have his father prostrate before him in greeting. pls can u throw more light on that?

From my understanding , it is an abomination for the father to prostrate to his son publicly but whenever the father comes into that palace , he must prostrate before the Ooni.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by asEdeyHOT: 10:44am On Feb 06, 2016
Burger01:
Where did you get that from I'm not too sure about that. You may be right though. Will ask my folks smiley

Please do so and let me know

I have confirmed with people who have direct access to the palace and they say that the father must prostrate in the palace and even remove his cap

However he cannot prostrate to him publicly
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by asEdeyHOT: 10:50am On Feb 06, 2016
anonimi:

How many of the things that you use daily were invented/produced/improved/maintained by the scientific, process-based culture of this greatest tribe in Africa?
Please sir, how many
Thanks

Sorry I don't argue with old jobless men

The progress of Yoruba land is there for all to see. Like any other race, we have our challenges but we are moving forward

You are just a few years younger than Obasanjo and you have not achieved 0.00000001% of what he has.

You are far older than the Ooni and yet you don't know how to respect your own culture

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by Dirkcoyt: 10:51am On Feb 06, 2016
wiseoneking:
According to Chinua Achebe, this one of the things that affect the greatness of yoruba as they are limited by cultural kwekwem. For igbos, they fear no man or gods.

And this chinua achebe got his knowledge of learning from what citadel of learning? University of ibadan. Obviously he knows nothing when it comes to culture.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by anonimi: 11:00am On Feb 06, 2016
asEdeyHOT:
Sorry I don't argue with old jobless men

The progress of Yoruba land is there for all to see. Like any other race, we have our challenges but we are moving forward

You are just a few years younger than Obasanjo and you have not achieved 0.00000001% of what he has.

You are far older than the Ooni and yet you don't know how to respect your own culture

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3277784_fbimg1452093218973_jpegc10e9e69e640b4d758edf3c27e5a1dae
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by AKYEMITE(m): 11:00am On Feb 06, 2016
africanusvu:
Sory if am wrong.though i am ibo.but i do knw OONI is a highly reverd king.u hardly see him,hear him speak.nor take visitors.but these one seems to be diferent.he is making these post look comon.we may soon av another mbaka and the catholic church

bros you are wrong. the formal ooni do receive visitors everyday and this is normal given the importance of his post. the new ooni received this attention and coverage because of high level of tech now and hustling of bloggers to make money for themselves. this as not reduce the image of ooni but make it more popular. it is the era of new age bro

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by spencekat(m): 11:06am On Feb 06, 2016
But Osun governor does not prostrate before Ooni and another Yoruba king.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by Reference(m): 12:11pm On Feb 06, 2016
Ioannes:

once Osinbajo leaves the seat, then DUTY behooves him to prostrate before the throne.

you wouldn't know what proper cultural ethics are even if they smacked you in the face repeatedly.

China has held on to their culture so also India, yet they are progressing scientifically and technologically.

so your attempt to pin lack of development on culture is lame.

Pally, take it from me. So called culture in sync with tribalism is one of the biggest impediments to the progress of this country. Even a three year old begins to realise that when his play group begins to segregate at the behest of 'caring' parents. God cursed the world by dividing tongues. Who are you to ignore it.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by MrPresident1: 1:13pm On Feb 06, 2016
Obasanjo did not remove his cap, his idobale is not valid.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by Burger01(m): 1:29pm On Feb 06, 2016
asEdeyHOT:

Please do so and let me know

I have confirmed with people who have direct access to the palace and they say that the father must prostrate in the palace and even remove his cap

However he cannot prostrate to him publicly
From my understanding, any time the father will visit the son in the palace, the son would not sit on the 'aga' oba. It's only when the son sits on the 'aga' oba that everybody prostrate for him.. Me I don't know what obtains in the palace oh smiley
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by Nobody: 1:50pm On Feb 06, 2016
Reference:

Pally, take it from me. So called culture in sync with tribalism is one of the biggest impediments to the progress of this country. Even a three year old begins to realise that when his play group begins to segregate at the behest of 'caring' parents. God cursed the world by dividing tongues. Who are you to ignore it.

I agree with you. but not everything about culture is bad though.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by Nobody: 2:03pm On Feb 06, 2016
anonimi:

Did I say something different from all that you typed above?
No!!!
BTW, is Vacant Pastor (VP) Osinbajo the "head of the nation" or is it Buhari
Yet you engage your brain (hopefully you have one) to call someone else unintelligent, right?
What a bloody HYPOCRITE you are.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3043813_img20151031182934_jpeg9e20f9096dfc108761ed3160bd879f5f

You must be a super witch cum wizard to know where I am from on this faceless forum, innit
Abeg, you fit share me the jazz wey you take dey sabi things like that? I sure can use it to con and SCAM our fellow citizens who are hyper-religious and look unto charlatans-in-cassock to tell them their past, present & future grin

you may not appreciate the fact that when I chastise you with words its because you can do better than spewing hate on this forum.

so Osinbajo is not the head of this nation abi? now that Buhari is going on leave guess who they called to act in his stead. exactly! the vice-PRESIDENT.

you may not know but they both share the office of the presidency. buhari is more powerful, but Osinbajo is still his deputy and the second citizen of this nation and not anonimi or whatever.

call the VP names, it still remains a fact that he isn't a bitter, faceless moniker whose real impact on the people and economy of Nigeria is next to zero.

so call him a vacant pastor, vacationing pastor or whatever name your mind digs up, he remains your leader.

I know you must have skipped social studies or civic studies in school. it's OK. we can always educate each other.

and I used the VP as an example because he is Yoruba. the president may not necessarily share our beliefs and culture.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by Larryjay4u: 4:35pm On Feb 06, 2016
asEdeyHOT:
It is Yoruba tradition

The Ooni's father is still alive, he has to prostrate to his son when he comes to the Palace

His mother is deceased (May she RIP). If she was alive, she will kneel down until her son tells her to rise.

To all intents and purposes, he is no longer their son but their spiritual head ordained by the gods of our land

Anywhere I see him, I will prostrate flat and not stand up until I'm told to do so

Kabiyesi, Ki Ade pelori, ki bata pelese. Ikeji Orisha

No sir. Yoruba tradition forbids the parents ofba king to bow not to even prostrate before him. The parents are exempted sir.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by Nobody: 4:45pm On Feb 06, 2016
asEdeyHOT:
It is Yoruba tradition

The Ooni's father is still alive, he has to prostrate to his son when he comes to the Palace

His mother is deceased (May she RIP). If she was alive, she will kneel down until her son tells her to rise.

To all intents and purposes, he is no longer their son but their spiritual head ordained by the gods of our land

Anywhere I see him, I will prostrate flat and not stand up until I'm told to do so

Kabiyesi, Ki Ade pelori, ki bata pelese. Ikeji Orisha

Pastor Kumuyi didn't prostate when he paid him a visit the other day when he came to Ife for one of his crusades.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by orisa37: 5:28pm On Feb 06, 2016
OBJ man of Tradition and Culture.He has made a statement and he will live long to see Nigeria through her difficulties successfully. This is what that Ibo slowpoke who called himself Igbo Oba at Akure should have done after removing his cap to the Deji of Akure. God bless Ooni. God bless OBJ. God bless the SW. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by SirDavico(m): 8:51am On Feb 07, 2016
Rossikk:

That is IF you believe that God had ANYTHING to do with the Bible. There is ZERO PROOF that He did.

Don't be cynical. Take a close look at bible prophecies; Their prediction and fulfilment. Who cound so accurately predict world-impacting future events? Only the Almighty! Consider the fall of Babylon, for example. God said no one wonld ever inhabit babylon after her destruction(Isaiah13:20) What do we see today? In the site where babylon used to be, about 50 miles south of Baghdad, Iraq, there are just ruins. No one lives there till today. What does that tell you
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by SirDavico(m): 9:04am On Feb 07, 2016
arresa:

Your personal belief is a reflection of your imported religion, it has zero bearing on our history and culture.

Cherish and respect what's yours instead of other people's hand me down.

Japan is a great power today and never relinquished their Shinto religion for anybody...
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by SirDavico(m): 9:15am On Feb 07, 2016
MayorofLagos:

When you enter Vatican, the first call of respect is a prostration onvthe dais infront of Pope.

Is your bible different from Pope's Bible?

Actually, catholicism has been so tampered by ancient Roman Pagan doctrines that it is no longer pure. That was one of the major reasons for the reformation/ protestant movement. Plain Idolatry if u ask me. Case closed.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by SirDavico(m): 9:16am On Feb 07, 2016
arresa:

Your personal belief is a reflection of your imported religion, it has zero bearing on our history and culture.

Cherish and respect what's yours instead of other people's hand me down.

Japan is a great power today and never relinquished their Shinto religion for anybody...

Are u saying we shouldn't uphold the authority of the bible That we should remain Ogun worshippers Or twin Killers Or cannibals Or Human sacrificers
I don't think so
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by SirDavico(m): 9:34am On Feb 07, 2016
grtfem:

Biblically, honour your father and your mother that your days may be long on the land your Lord God give unto you ....?.

Honour here means ''respect'' and ''Obey''. Not ''bowing down in Obeisance''. Don't twist the scriptures.
By the way, why did Jesus not bow before the devil? King Herod? Pontius Pilate? Why did the apostles not bow before the council? BECAUSE IT WOULD BE A VIOLATION OF GOD'S LAW. When the Prophet Daniel in awe,fell on his knees before the angel of the Lord, What did the angel Say? He asked Daniel not to bow before him, because he is not God.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by SenatorJames(m): 1:00am On Feb 18, 2016
I am not surprise. I expect Obasanjo to understand the culture and tradition of Yoruba better.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by Dedetwo(m): 1:17am On Feb 18, 2016
These are phony group of people who tend to embrace illusory sophistication.
Re: Obasanjo Prostrates Before The Ooni Of Ife! by Tmleyin: 11:24am On Jun 27, 2017
ooni na air bender plus fire bender plus earth bender plus water bender? just asking

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

CCT: Court Orders Saraki's Arrest / Michelle Obama Congratulates Ike & Uchechi Ibe On Their Wedding(Pix / Boy Who Got N500K From Akpabio After Removing His Shirt For Him Goes Shopping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.