Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,494 members, 7,888,578 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 10:49 AM

Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… (3613 Views)

Mary The Mother Of Jesus Had No Other Children. A Biblical Perspective / "It Pays To Pay Your Tithe" - D'banj Stands With The "Sheeple" / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… by niyisky: 7:50am On Feb 07, 2016
My pastor was preaching about Tithing today, and he backed his teachings with some chapters in the bible. Navigating from Genesis to Habakkuk, all the way to Deuteronomy, he was trying so hard to drive home his message on why we must pay our Tithes often (let’s say every end of the month) if we want the blessings of God to gravitate or abound towards us. I was listening with rapt attention until we got to Deuteronomy chapter 26.
We read through the first and second verse and up to the third and off we go again to another chapter in the bible all in a bid to make us see reason why we should pay our tithe atleast every month for salary earners and weekly or even daily for non-salary earners. Why the message was on, I choose to study that same Deuteronomy 26 and right there on the twelfth verse, there was a clear and simple instruction on when (time) and how we should Tithe.

Deuteronomy 26:12
When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast giving it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gate and be filled;

The instruction in this verse of the bible is clear and concise as to the time and how we should tithe. Once in every three years and our tithes must not be for the Leviticus priest alone (I mean our pastors) but also to strangers, widows, fatherless and the vulnerable.

Not satisfied with that, I searched deeper in the bible and here again in the book of Amos 4:4, the bible repeated that same instruction:
Amos 4:4
Come to Beth-el, and transgress; at Gilgal and multiply transgression; and bring your sacrifices every morning, and your tithes after three years:

Here again, the instruction was concise and specific. Your sacrifices could be brought daily, however your tithes should be after every three years
Re: Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… by whirlwind7(m): 8:36am On Feb 07, 2016
Well, look at it this way: If you had to pay tithe every three years or monthly, it still boils down to the same thing.
If you are someone who pays it faithfully, it means you have to bring 10% of your earnings over a 3 year period, right?

Paying it monthly only means that you broke it down to smaller installments.
Same comparison can be made if you are paying your rents monthly or annually. You end up paying the same amount, only that monthly payment breaks it into smaller, manageable portions.

Now, tell me this. If you were given the option of paying tithes monthly, or in bulk after 3 years, which would you chose?
Assuming you will truthfully pay the correct amount every 3 years (that is, accumulated monthly tithe multiplied by 36 months) would you choose to pay it after every 3 years? I doubt this.

By the way, I'm not an advocate for tithe or no tithe. Just putting your argument into perspective. Have a great Sunday!
Re: Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… by johnydon22(m): 8:36am On Feb 07, 2016
This is how the Con-tricks keep working... When it comes to Tithe they quote Old testaments to get basis for their tithe position, when its any other thing they claim the old testament is null and void ("it is in the old testament) but old testament tithe is still valid.

How people fall for this cherrypicking and double standards is simply amazing..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… by reallest(f): 8:41am On Feb 07, 2016
johnydon22:
This is how the Con-tricks keep working... When it comes to Tithe they quote Old testaments to get basis for their tithe position, when its any other thing they claim the old testament is null and void ("it is in the old testament) but old testament tithe is still valid.

How people fall for this cherrypicking and double standards is simply amazing..

Don't be surprised because another word for Christianity is stupidity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… by gentlegenius(m): 8:47am On Feb 07, 2016
Deuteronomy 14:28-29 says "At the end of every 3 years, bring the tithe of all your crops and store in your towns. This food is for the Levites since they own no property, and for the foreigners, orphans and widows who live in your towns. They are to come and get all they need. Do this, and the Lord your God will bless you in everything you do".
Re: Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… by niyisky: 12:05pm On Feb 07, 2016
Thank you for this. However, you have to understand that this is an instruction. Trying to interpret it your own way is clear dis-obedience to simple instruction.
whirlwind7:
Well, look at it this way: If you had to pay tithe every three years or monthly, it still boils down to the same thing.
If you are someone who pays it faithfully, it means you have to bring 10% of your earnings over a 3 year period, right?

Same comparison can be made if you are paying your rents monthly or annually. You end up paying the same amount, only that monthly payment breaks it into smaller, manageable portions.

Now, tell me this. If you were given the option of paying tithes monthly, or in bulk after 3 years, which would you chose?
Assuming you will truthfully pay the correct amount every 3 years (that is, accumulated monthly tithe multiplied by 36 months) would you choose to pay it after every 3 years? I doubt this.

By the way, I'm not an advocate for tithe or no tithe. Just putting your argument into perspective. Have a great Sunday!
Re: Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… by niyisky: 6:38am On Mar 13, 2016
reallest:

Don't be surprised because another word for Christianity is stupidity
you can pass your message without name - calling
Re: Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… by olagbemi118(m): 7:09am On Mar 13, 2016
whirlwind7:

they were not salary earners in those days, they were mostly farmers and tent makers. So, how could your perspective be right? They were to tithe the produce of their farms in the third year and give to the levites who had no inheritance, the orphans, the widows and the other less privileged. Hope that helps?
Re: Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… by bosa1(m): 7:25am On Mar 13, 2016
God has never for once asked us to pay tithe, read the whole Deut 14: 22- to end

Tithing Principles
22 “You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year.
23 And you shall eat before the Lord your God, in the place where He chooses to make His name abide, the tithe of your grain and your new wine and your oil, of the firstborn of your herds and your flocks, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always.

24 But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the Lord your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the Lord your God has blessed you,

25 then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the Lord your God chooses.

26 And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or similar drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there before the Lord your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

27 You shall not forsake the Levite who is within your gates, for he has no part nor inheritance with you.

28 “At the end of every third year you shall bring out the tithe of your produce of that year and store it up within your gates.

29 And the Levite, because he has no portion nor inheritance with you, and the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are within your gates, may come and eat and be satisfied, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.
Re: Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… by Flexherbal(m): 7:38am On Mar 13, 2016
I like the part that added the orphans and widows.
Re: Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… by Filmewell(f): 10:11am On Mar 13, 2016
why must tithe always be an issue, is not as if only the people who pay tithe are better off. non tithe payers are blessed too. pay if you want and stop all these argument about tithing.
Re: Why You Should Pay Your Tithe Only Once In Three Years: Biblical Perspective… by niyisky: 12:18pm On Mar 13, 2016
Filmewell:
why must tithe always be an issue, is not as if only the people who pay tithe are better off. non tithe payers are blessed too. pay if you want and stop all these argument about tithing.
its always good to Learn something new

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Islam Not A Dominant Religion In Se And Ss? / Is CHRISTMAS A Pagan Festival? / Pastor In WWE Smackdown, Slams Woman During Deliverance In Church(Video/Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.