Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,392 members, 7,881,425 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:17 PM

Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List (1994 Views)

Amaechi Spent N17bn On Failed Quest To Become Buhari’s Running Mate – PDP / Alicia Keys solidarity Song to some Failed States like Gaza, nigeria etc. / Nigeria Is number 14 On The List Of World Failed States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by chidichris(m): 9:25am On Jul 04, 2009
Lets stop clowning about the reason 9ja is on failed state alert.
Nigeria is not there because the govt. is corruption. It is there because of the Niger Delta crisis, religious riots and other areas in which the govt. has lost control.

"Common characteristics of a failing state include a central government so weak or ineffective that it has little practical control over much of its territory; non-provision of public services; widespread corruption and criminality; refugees and involuntary movement of populations; and sharp economic decline." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failed_state#2009 (same article)

If you think the direct reason is corruption, you are failing.
@beaf or beef,
what a controversial display of knowledge? what is corruption? all what u have mentioned here are xteristics of corruption.
naija is simply corrupt and govt is the key so no decoration of words.
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by Yuno: 10:40am On Jul 04, 2009
Quote: Litmus
America should be on that list. At the last count, it was the most indebted country in the world. If the magnitude of American indebtedness does not qualify it for failed state status then that list is meaningless. Grin Grin Grin

A lot of the worlds biggest economies are in debt on paper (US, Japan, UK) but all of these countries have the resources to finance any debts and provide their citizens with good services and infrastructure. The total assets of these countries governments' are enough to pay off their debts many times over so they are not by any means bakrupt. Nigeria on the other hand is a failed state because of the idiots who are in charge and a population that feels powerless to change the system.
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by oyinda3(f): 9:27pm On Jul 04, 2009
bombay:

Na aboki  grin

i mean who created the list 'cause it's biased
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by strangleyo: 10:18pm On Jul 04, 2009
In Nigeria, we roll backwards grin
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by Kobojunkie: 10:20pm On Jul 04, 2009
Yuno:

Quote: Litmus
A lot of the worlds biggest economies are in debt on paper (US, Japan, UK) but all of these countries have the resources to finance any debts and provide their citizens with good services and infrastructure. The total assets of these countries governments' are enough to pay off their debts many times over so they are not by any means bakrupt. Nigeria on the other hand is a failed state because of the idiots who are in charge and a population that [size=14pt]feels [/size] powerless to change the system.

I like that you used the word "FEELS" in this case. Good move!!
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by nex(m): 1:11am On Jul 05, 2009
Nigerians are just useless!

I don't even you can use a Nigerian to make money. All these babalawos will soon be demanding foreign heads.

So you people don't know that those yankees hands off governance to Obama because the country had completely failed and was on the brink of implosion. Yet this same people will release a list of you as a failed state, you will agree. They will release a list of you as happiest and you'll believe.

The leaders you want to blame now are better off than the so called led because if they'd believed this list they would have given up and thrown us into complete anarchy.

Tomorrow I'll wake up and hear "Our Leaders Are Bad".

A country engaged it two wars for almost a decade which are not going anywhere, including North Korea being three. A country so indebted to the tune of about 11 trillion dollars to the extent that it had to borrow hundreds of billions of It's own currency from China to keep itself going is not on that list. Yet these useless Nigerian people will swear by its list.

Imagine if Nigeria had to go borrow hundreds of billions of Naira from Ghana. What will y'all then say? Imagine if Nigeria had engaged in full scale long drawn wars with Liberia and Sierra Leone, what would ye all have said?

Nigeria just has a lot of useless, hopeless citizens.
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by Beaf: 2:01am On Jul 05, 2009
nex:

Nigeria just has a lot of useless, hopeless citizens.

I wouldn't go that far. . . There are several Nigerians who are smog in their ignorance, radiate ignorance and admire bullshit said with confidence.
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by bawomolo(m): 3:16am On Jul 05, 2009
According to list, North Korea is in better shape than Nigeria. a bunch of malnourished people run their country better than you. ha ha
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by strangleyo: 8:59pm On Jul 05, 2009
1. Somalia (0)
2. Zimbabwe (+1)
3. Sudan (-1)
4. Chad (0)
5. Democratic Republic of the Congo (+1)
6. Iraq (-1)
7. Afghanistan (0)
8. Central African Republic (+2)
9. Guinea (+2)
10. Pakistan (-1)
11. Côte d'Ivoire (-3)
12. Haiti (+2)
13. Burma/Myanmar(0)
14. Kenya (+12)
15. Nigeria (+3)

Countries "less failed" than Nigeria.

16. Ethiopia (0)
17. North Korea (-2)
18. Yemen (+3)
19. Bangladesh (-7)
20. Timor-Leste (+5)

You know what really hurts? REALITY!
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by MrCrackles(m): 9:04pm On Jul 05, 2009
I am not surprised! grin
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by Beaf: 9:44pm On Jul 05, 2009
Nigeria will only get off that list when the Niger Delta problem is settled. Check the least of corrupt countries (yes theres a separate list) and see if that tallies with this "failed state" list.
You are deceiving yourself if you think that the list is about corrupt countries. . . anyways a governor once responded with danta cola, pepsi cola to a question about what minerals there were in his state; so I'm not suprised at the low levels of reasoning some are stooping to, they could actually become "governors" someday.

Just for the record, I'm not from a failed state and don't believe any stupid conspiratorial list.
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by bomb1(m): 9:46pm On Jul 05, 2009
Its time for this generation to challenge the status quo.

Do you 'vow to serve' at every opportunity?

We must all wake up to save NIGERIA.
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by SeanT21(f): 10:28pm On Jul 05, 2009
strangleyo:

1. Somalia (0)
2. Zimbabwe (+1)
3. Sudan (-1)
4. Chad (0)
5. Democratic Republic of the Congo (+1)
6. Iraq (-1)
7. Afghanistan (0)
8. Central African Republic (+2)
9. Guinea (+2)
10. Pakistan (-1)
11. Côte d'Ivoire (-3)
12. Haiti (+2)
13. Burma/Myanmar(0)
14. Kenya (+12)
15. Nigeria (+3)

Countries "less failed" than Nigeria.

16. Ethiopia (0)
17. North Korea (-2)
18. Yemen (+3)
19. Bangladesh (-7)
20. Timor-Leste (+5)

You know what really hurts? REALITY!

I can understand Haiti but why is KENYA on that list undecided
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by Beaf: 12:12am On Jul 06, 2009
SeanT21:

I can understand Haiti but why is KENYA on that list undecided

Kenya is not fighting a war and their election trouble didn't last long.
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by SeanT21(f): 12:33am On Jul 06, 2009
Beaf:

Kenya is not fighting a war and their election trouble didn't last long.

oh, I was confused a little. I thought +12 meant that they were troubled.
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by oyinda3(f): 3:41am On Jul 06, 2009
yup ur right sean. +12 means they moved up on the failed list

i think the list is a fraud. but that's just my personal opinion
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by SeanT21(f): 3:42am On Jul 06, 2009
oyinda.:

yup ur right sean. +12 means they moved up on the failed list

i think the list is a fraud. but that's just my personal opinion

Oh, Okay. wink
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by nex(m): 10:27am On Jul 06, 2009
Yesterday I was in Delta State for the first time in my life. Very organised, neat, just like in Lagos, the cabs were brand new Toyota Corollas, there were Gargantuan TV screens for entertainment is some round abouts, and just like HiTech was working on the Lekki-Epe Expressway is how Setraco was working on the Sapele-Ughelli Express way.

We have been given an overexaggerated view of this Delta situation. These are just touts and criminals hiding out in the jungle and they make it seem like there's a major issue there.

Anybody that would use the Niger-Delta issue to rate this country as a failed nation will also use the case of the Washington Sniper to conclude that the USA is failed.

More than 6 million jobs have been lost this year alone. About 10 of the largest corporations have collapsed, the government is broke, the country is currently deadlocked in 3 wars, there's high crime rate.

So tell me what country is really failed.
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by Yuno: 10:38am On Jul 06, 2009
Yesterday I was in Delta State for the first time in my life. Very organised, neat, just like in Lagos, the cabs were brand new Toyota Corollas, there were Gargantuan TV screens for entertainment is some round abouts, and just like HiTech was working on the Lekki-Epe Expressway is how Setraco was working on the Sapele-Ughelli Express way.

We have been given an overexaggerated view of this Delta situation. These are just touts and criminals hiding out in the jungle and they make it seem like there's a major issue there.

Anybody that would use the Niger-Delta issue to rate this country as a failed nation will also use the case of the Washington Sniper to conclude that the USA is failed.

More than 6 million jobs have been lost this year alone. About 10 of the largest corporations have collapsed, the government is broke, the country is currently deadlocked in 3 wars, there's high crime rate.

So tell me what country is really failed.

Its so silly when people use the US or another rich western country as an example of a failed state, and why because you saw some TV screens in roundabouts. We all know the US is far far wealthier and more stable than Nigeria - thats why America remains a major destination for well-educated Nigerians and other immigrants.

Stop making excuses, Nigeria is a failed state and mostly because of the idiots who govern her and have governed her for almost 50 years. Its not just because of Niger Delta. The north is one of the few places with polio in the world and its a real poorhouse. Even in the richer south government services are almost nonexistent, child mortality is high and tens of millions of people live in poor housing and dont have proper jobs. Nigeria can do much better but you have to admit things can be better before anything can ever change. I certainly dont think what Nigeria is today is the best or even close to the best it can be,
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by Afam4eva(m): 11:13am On Jul 06, 2009
At least let's be 1st for once in our life, whether for positive or negative.
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by Litmus: 8:34pm On Jul 06, 2009
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by oyinda3(f): 9:16pm On Jul 06, 2009
smh
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 21, 2009
no21:

of course we are a failed state,

are we not failed?
what is moving forward in Nigeria,
The british gave the abokis weapons to fight against the only reasonable people there.
And we are all trapped in hole digged by Fredrick Lugard and his Wife,
That ius where our histpry started.

you must surely hate Lugard's wife especially since your mother never married. undecided
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by no21: 7:39pm On Jul 21, 2009
tpia.:

you must surely hate Lugard's wife especially since your mother never married. undecided

Oh , you brought your idiocy all the way here?

Imagine a statement from someone who called herself a lady.
I imagine how ugly you are since you hide behind key board to seek for beauty you only imagined in your mind.
Rotten Bitch!
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 21, 2009
no21:

Oh , I brought my idiocy all the way here.

Imagine a statement from me , a bitch and son of a bitch

I know how ugly I am since I hide behind key board to seek recognition.

[size=14pt]My mother is a Rotten Bitch![/size]

where did i call myself a lady? was that what you heard?
Re: Nigeria Moved Up On Failed States List by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 21, 2009
I'm a lady?

now thats funny.

No wonder they think they can just run mouth anyhow.

Make una go crosscheck una list of ladies oh. Whoever sent you my way, doesnt like you. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obasanjo Picks Shagari As Jonathan's Vp / Dangote Group Plans To Build Africa’s Biggest Fertilizer Plant In Nigeria / Minister Of Petroleum,mrs.diezanialison-madueke's Secret Romance With Lag Bigboy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.