Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,426 members, 7,929,395 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 01:23 PM

Dear Artiste, Afropop Is Not A Genre (A Must Read) - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Dear Artiste, Afropop Is Not A Genre (A Must Read) (1074 Views)

Who Will Be Crowned Headies Artiste Of Year 2017? / Please Vote For Me As The Best AfroPop Singer In The Top Naija Music Awards 2016 / Why You Prefer Foreign Music And Genre To 9ja Afro-pop... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dear Artiste, Afropop Is Not A Genre (A Must Read) by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 11, 2016
Nonsense sells;and as much as this statement is cliche, I also radically disagree. I once asked a popular artiste why they keep churning out the same type of baseless music, he said that’s what the fans asked for.
Dear fans, why are you being used as a lying apparatus, and when did you meet a Nigerian musician and asked him to sing about s*x and stuff?
So a corporate company that wants some more brand exposure, some more customers, some more threat on their adversaries in commerce and most importantly a viable Return-on-Investment, after signing a six-figured cheque for a not-so-talented but accepted artiste to go home with, ends up adding a subtle stain on their brand identity after their ambassador messes up in several ways.
What is your definition of an A-list act anyway?Headlining shows or having baby mamas? I’ll pass on that; talks for another day.
According to the bling-bling’d and sun-shaded boys that flock around the music scenery, Music is only best when it’s danceable, when you startup mentioning your producer’s name and follow up with your record company and management’s name, when you repeat one verse three times and throw words that you wouldn’t hear your children speak, when you mention car brands that you have never driven and alcohol brands that turn deaf ears to your melodious lobby of getting endorsed by them, when you mock females and their vital parts and when you mention your sponsors or potential sponsors at the end of the endurable four-minute long noise. What a definition.This, according to them, is AfroPop.
So you ask a superstar wannabe, “what kind of music are you into?”, the stress of thinking about something accurate launches into them and without further ado, “AfroPop” rattles out of his mouth that is fenced with a bleached set of lips to fit into the starter pack of musicians in that genre.
I sense that artistes who struggle to find a niche for themselves seldom hide under the shadow of AfroPop. Some suffer from what I call Ennui, but really, you do not have to release music every other week if there is no content for and in it. But our dear brothers in the game will go ahead to force out songs that they cannot be proud of decades down the line.
Sometimes I wonder if these guys have notepads and stuff for jotting down words or lyrics that randomly drop into the mind of creatives. I am still here wondering.
Back to why I am writing this, AfroPop, fully know as African Popular Music, has been defied it’s true definition. Afro music was/is fathered by the late Fela Anikulapo Kuti and as you would expect, he had deep messages synchronized with his music, but now that you want to inherit it, why are you leaving out the sense and the messages? Who said you wouldn’t ‘blow’ still?
As an artiste, nobody cages you to be a one-style icon, as a matter of honesty, we want versatility and diversity, just like Wikipedia states, AfroPop does not refer to a specific style or sound. Therefore, it is NOT a genre. Why not find a more streamlining and specific genre to describe your music and quit hiding under the AfroPop umbrella to churn out terrible music that lacks content and creativity.
Fans get bored, they want a breath of fresh air. Little wonder the YBNL toaster, Kunle Gold caught wild fire real quick. He was a pacifier to all the other noise makers the record label has on board.
New Age, Easy Listening, Electronic, Highlife, Apala, Juju, Coupe Decale, HipLife, Soukous, Folk and so forth are genres that slowly going into redeemable extinction.
Take a cue from this. We have more than enough noise makers that pollute the air waves already, why not be creative about yours as you come into the densely populated industry with your Demo CD and gold chain and Versace shirt.
Cc.Seun obinoscopy lalasticlala and Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Dear Artiste, Afropop Is Not A Genre (A Must Read) by Flashysounds: 6:38pm On Feb 11, 2016
VALENTINE PROMO

Get your song recorded for as low as #6000 which includes mixing with mastering with quality production guaranteed and get access to our free online promotion platform and also shoot your quality video for as low as #60,000 with free online promotion which also involves promoting your video on youtube without cost. Both audio production and video production will get bbm and whatsapp broadcast,also promoted on facebook and twitter without any cost. You can also contact us for jingle recordings,Mixing, Mastering,video editing,Consultation Services,voice overs, training on music production to become a professional music producer,training on how to be a professional DJ, training on musical instruments of your choice, voice training and other Entertainment services. . You can also contact us for cheap and affordable music promotions like alaba mix,online,radio/tv,caller tunez,affordable advert placement for your kind of business, website creation,Logo/ graphics design, creation of artist page,etc at cheaper and affordable fees you can't resist.
INTERESTED?
For bookings and enquiries,do Whatsapp 07032617747 Or Call 09098639991. We are here to render to you the best of quality service. Try us and you'll never regret you did.

NOTE
Promo ends on the 29th of February,2016.

(1) (Reply)

Mr. Eazi Is Right, Ghanaians Have Influenced Nigerian Music / Download The Connect Remix By Dekey Ft Phyno / Timaya – “dance” Ft. Rudeboy (p-square)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.