Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,011 members, 7,906,772 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 03:43 PM

Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . (19043 Views)

Interesting Reasons To Still Buy A Tablet / 5 Essential Things To Consider Before Buying Iphone 7 / 11 Android Specifications To Look Out For Before Buying A New Phone (2016) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by Electronzeez(m): 9:08pm On Feb 15, 2016
Tablets are the latest trend for mobile computing. They bridge the gap between laptop computers and mobile smartphones in terms of size and functions. They are great for web browsing, email and watching movies while traveling. Many people also use them as a portable gaming platform. They can even substitute for some laptop tasks when performance is not really required. This guide will look at the key items and features that you want to look at before you buy a tablet PC.

Size and weight

Tablets are design to be mobile and because of this size and weight are important. After all, you will be holding a tablet for long stretches of time so you don't want it to be too difficult to hold or too heavy. The lighter the better but it shouldn't compromise durability to be extremely light as it is inevitable that it will be dropped. Thickness is a key measure as it determines how it fits in the hand but dimensions also matter. A top heavy wide tablet may be difficult to hold in the portrait mode.

Display and Screen

Since the display is also the major interface for a tablet PC, the screen plays a very important role in your buying decision. Factors to consider are size, resolution, viewing angles, brightness and coating. The size determines how big the tablet will be but when tied to resolution can also determine how easy or difficult it is to read text on the device. Resolution also matters if you are trying to watch true HD media on the device. A minimum of 720 lines are required in a portrait orientation.

Viewing angles are important if it will be viewed by more than one person or at odd angles at times. Brightness is something to consider if the tablet will be outdoors frequently. The brightner the screen, the easier to see when there is lots of glare. Coatings should be durable so it won't show scratches and be easy to clean.

Software

Since the majority of tablets will not be running the same operating system as a desktop or laptop computer, the choice can make a huge difference. Each operating system has its benefits and drawbacks. The key is to look at how it will be used to determine which OS may best suit your needs. If you want it to be just like a traditional PC, then Windows may be best but even this may have issues. Media watching and gaming is probably best served by iOS. Finally, if you want a more open platform with better multitasking, then Android might be the best choice. Beyond the OS itself, buyers should also consider the types and number of applications available to each platform.

Connectivity/Networking

As tablets are mobile devices, their ability to connect to the Internet is pretty critical. There are two types of connectivity to be found in tablets: Wi-Fi and cellular or wireless. Wi-Fi is pretty straight forward as this is for access to local Wi-Fi hotspots. What matters here is which forms of Wi-Fi they support. Any tablet should support 802.11n. The best option is to support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio bands. Cellular is a bit more complicated as one has to consider carriers, coverage, contract rates and whether it is 3G or 4G network compatible. Bluetooth may be used for local peer to peer connection between tablets or for peripherals such as a keyboard.

Battery Life

Since many people will likely carry their tablet throughout the day, battery life is a pretty important feature. Battery life is hard to judge for tablets as different applications can draw very different power loads. There are two standard methods for measuring battery life. The first is through consistent web browsing while the other is based upon watching video. For the most part, these two are very similar but video tends to use a bit more power. Of course, if you are multitasking heavily or playing games, expect battery life to be much shorter than advertised. A good running time should be at least eight hours of web browsing or video playback.

Processors

The processors used in tablets can vary widely. Much of this has to do with the way the processors in most are designed and licensed. Most companies will just list the clock speed and number of cores. Buyers will often need to know a bit more than this as the architecture that the chip is based on can have big implications on the performance, battery life and size of the tablet PC. Unfortunately, this is a fairly complex subject so it is recommended to read the full Tablet Processor Guide for further information.

Storage Space

While most people will not be carrying around as much data on a tablet as they would on a laptop, the amount of space on the tablet is still a major thing to consider. All tablets use solid state storage because of its ability to use very little power, take less space and higher durability. The downside is limited storage space. Most tablets come with between 8 and 64GB of space which is extremely small compared to a laptop. For those just browsing the web, streaming video and reading books, storage space won't be too critical. If on the other hand you are storing high definition movies or lots of games, consider getting a higher capacity model so you don't have to constantly shuffle what you want on your tablet when away from a PC. Tablets with flash memory slots can easily have their storage space expanded compared to those that don't feature this. Tablet storage can also be supplemented by cloud storage but this is only accessible when the tablet is connected to the internet.

Strictly copy and paste .

http://compreviews.about.com/od/buyers/bb/Tablet-PC-Buyers-Guide.htm?utm_content=buffereaa89&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=cmsocialposting_aboutmain

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by daphid25(m): 9:30pm On Feb 15, 2016
Tecno droidpad, one of a kind.
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by bolseas(f): 10:57am On Feb 16, 2016
Thanks for sharing.

I am looking for a cheap tablet to buy sef....

1 Like

Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by Xhaka(m): 11:24am On Feb 16, 2016
bolseas:
Thanks for sharing.

https:///tecno-tablets?gclid=CLmhzP2H_MoCFVG6Gwod_tsMsQ
Top notch tablets, check 'em out.
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by Electronzeez(m): 2:15pm On Feb 16, 2016
bolseas:
Thanks for sharing.

Maximum price is?
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by bolseas(f): 8:24am On Feb 17, 2016
@Electronzeez, I heard the Techno is cheaper. I saw it with someone who got it as a gift. Or maybe I believe that anything techno is cheap....
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by bolseas(f): 8:26am On Feb 17, 2016
@Xhaka, thanks. I will check at my free time
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by Electronzeez(m): 8:57am On Feb 17, 2016
bolseas:
@Electronzeez, I heard the Techno is cheaper. I saw it with someone who got it as a gift. Or maybe I believe that anything techno is cheap....

Yeah I will agree it is cheaper considering there are other tablets in that price range that has a lesser spec to the tecnodroid pad. Majority , when I mean majority of the tablets do not offer camera flash light , lollipop and a 16gb internal memory , the processor speed and battery life isnt bad as well .

It's good buy dear cool though i am not a tecno fan but you deserve to know the truth .
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by Xhaka(m): 10:03am On Feb 17, 2016
bolseas:
@Xhaka, thanks. I will check at my free time
You're welcome
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by mosjames: 2:10pm On Feb 17, 2016
Electronzeez:

Yeah I will agree it is cheaper considering there are other tablets in that price range that has a lesser spec to the tecnodroid pad. Majority , when I mean majority of the tablets do not offer camera flash light , lollipop and a 16gb internal memory , the processor speed and battery life isnt bad as well .

It's good buy dear cool though i am not a tecno fan but you deserve to know the truth .

You aint a tecno fan doesn't mean their product are not good
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by Electronzeez(m): 3:32pm On Feb 17, 2016
mosjames:

You aint a tecno fan doesn't mean their product are not good

I did not say a different thing sir

1 Like

Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by JesusCrew: 5:29pm On Feb 17, 2016
Click HERE to see a tab wt all these features & even more..
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by JesusCrew: 5:32pm On Feb 17, 2016
bolseas:
Thanks for sharing.

Simply click my signature & make your choice there
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by timbros(m): 6:35pm On Feb 17, 2016
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by mosjames: 1:28pm On Feb 18, 2016
Electronzeez:

I did not say a different thing sir
Correct
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by tayo200(m): 2:49pm On Feb 19, 2016
symbian rocks
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 19, 2016
latest trend!! "
OP which village you dey live?
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by Teddeebear: 2:52pm On Feb 19, 2016
bolseas:
Thanks for sharing.

buy itel, 15k battery life awesome

1 Like

Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by ozo13(m): 2:55pm On Feb 19, 2016
daphid25:
Tecno droidpad, one of a kind.
Abeg how much is Samsung tab 2
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by thefakestan: 2:57pm On Feb 19, 2016
Noted!
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 19, 2016
Actually thought you were talking about a tablet(Drug)

2 Likes

Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by Tobilastik(m): 3:00pm On Feb 19, 2016
Lol...gonna the days, tab is nothing but a burden
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by danidee10(m): 3:03pm On Feb 19, 2016
tayo200:
symbian rocks

symbian dude!!!! wtf!!!
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by AyamConfidence(m): 3:04pm On Feb 19, 2016
Lets please buy Naija....check out Bryte Tablets on konga...those peeps got good tabs at affordable prices.....,.. #buyNaija
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by opey112(m): 3:04pm On Feb 19, 2016
am still rocking my the techno p9.

1 Like

Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by jossybi: 3:06pm On Feb 19, 2016
Are you saying the itel pad now goes for 15k at 3c hub?[color=#990000]
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by blessednamso: 3:17pm On Feb 19, 2016
Consider CBC blue slate tablet, it comes with exciting features.....proudly designed in Nigeria

Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by CBNIM: 3:31pm On Feb 19, 2016
Noted.

thanks for sharing!
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by Olarhbanjee(m): 3:33pm On Feb 19, 2016
I need 1 urgently sef. Mk e no pass 25 sha oO...08170234348
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by Mprex(f): 3:39pm On Feb 19, 2016
every one is needing tablet

me sef, i need one with an awesome camera. front and back. day and night.

someone pls recommend.
Re: Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . by femzy(m): 3:41pm On Feb 19, 2016
Price, Memory & Support kiss

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tariffs On Data, Voice Calls May Go Up / Leaked Images Of The New Blackberry 10 L Series Phone Surfaces / Top 8 Things You Should Do Immediately You Get A New Android Smartphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.