Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,611 members, 7,878,774 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 06:28 AM

Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket (42349 Views)

Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Crashes To N300 From N5000 A Basket (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Mekyno(m): 4:36pm On Feb 17, 2016
uplawal:
So that people can be cancernised abi?all we need is uninterrupted power supply,cos if they make them into plums and puree the chemical used in lacing the tins for preservation causes cancer on the longrun.Then your eyes will clear.
u sound nice bt none is without cause and effect. No process is prefect, so there is always a way round it.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by billyG(m): 4:39pm On Feb 17, 2016
Gej no try ooo!Y he no built processing facilities.
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Laid2001: 4:50pm On Feb 17, 2016
This is result of having a bad leader during a boom in oil price.
this is as a result of an ineffective buffoon squanderemania!
All the money they squandered were supposed to be spent in putting good storage system in place for agric boom like this.

the then minister of Agriculture kept budgeting for these facilities but rather than allow him to spend it on what ir was meant for, GEJ was busy diverting all available cash to his cronies!

what a waste of several year as a government.

Now the nation is cash strung and can hardly even afford basic imports from overseas. Yet the treasury was already looted.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 17, 2016
cckris:

Please elaborate on this GM stuff.
Its well known fact that most foods and crops, even vegetables and poultry products we consume now aint actually safe. Either that their original or natural state have been chemically modified to boost the outcome and have bumper harvest (Genetically modified) or the products are 'poisoned' by dangerous chemicals the farmers use to weed as well as kill pets. Google it for further understanding
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Ophemmi: 7:11pm On Feb 17, 2016
This is just perfect! Private investors come in and it game on, no more tomato product importation. smiley
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by tolzy90(m): 7:29pm On Feb 17, 2016
EazyMoh:
That's sad, reminds me of my Dad, may Allah rest his soul. he taught me how to dry tomatoes and sell it afterwards.
I just added tomato processing as one of my future business ventures.
bro, I'm interested in knowing the procedures to be taken in drying tomatoes.. Would be glad if you can kindly share with me. Thnx
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by deluxecad(m): 8:04pm On Feb 17, 2016
OK. Time to start exporting tomatoes. Innit?
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 17, 2016
kevoh:
1 full basket over here in my part of Abuja is N1000. Tempted to buy 2 baskets, blend and store in the freezer despite the regularity of electricity, relying on NEPA to supply power for food conservation is like relying on playing Nairabet to supply you monthly income. Onions too has been cheap like forever here, 7 huge onion bulbs for N50! smiley Gotta love the North! Na only accommodation dey kill people here.

Biko where did you get basket for NGN 1k in Abuja?
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by mikolo80: 8:59pm On Feb 17, 2016
MaziOmenuko:
This is the worse problem currently facing agriculture in the country: lack of preservative measures! This same quantity that sells for N300 will sell at N12,000 in the next 3 months when the rain starts. Isnt there a way to preserve the vegetable and make it available all round the year? Also read somewhere that 70% of those fruits and vegetables get spoilt before they are moved from the farms to the final consumer.

If only PHCN can assure us of at least 15hrs of light daily, wont mind processing one full basket and store in freezers awaiting the rainy season.

Oh, i forgot to mention, I love fresh tomato stew! cheesy
why you no chook head
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by mikolo80: 9:01pm On Feb 17, 2016
NextGovernor:
And I bought the smallest plate yesterday for #300. That woman dey kolo. There are some things you see cheap at a particular time but you just can't buy in bulk and save for the hard time. This is just one of it. If not I could have ordered for 10 baskets. lol
yes you can, you're just lazy like everyone else in Nigeria
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by mikolo80: 9:04pm On Feb 17, 2016
UrbanMystique:
Oh which initiative was that?

These things have being happening long before you were born.
Nigeria lacking storage or proccesing facilities for farm produce .. That's why you have a season for different food in Nigeria which suppose not to be so. A well proccesed or preserved food should last all year round without having a season where it becomes scarce of too much that it goes to waste like this.

And for the record.. You are nothing but hypocrite ..
Innoson became popular under buhari, it was Jonathan policy.
Tomato excess in kastina, it was Jonathan. Tsa, jonathan's policy. Kachickwu, jonathans policy. Anything positive, Jonathan policy which were not seen.
But when book haram throws bomb tommorow, you start shouting buhari. Not Jonathan, when naira falls again tommorow, you start shouting buhari but not Jonathan's policy.

Thunder wey go fire all you wailing hhypocrites still dey chop constipation yam.
you're still trying to reason with imbeciles. you get time o
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by sam90s(m): 10:57pm On Feb 17, 2016
You're so right, I think t's referred to as temperature controlled storage, however, with most things in our country, it's not viable due to many constraints, believe me no where in the world are farmers subjected to worrying about storage, it's simply not practical, perhaps FG should hire one service firm to provide expert advice on issues like this, at the end of the day, if farmers concentrate on farming and commodity traders worry about price fluctuation, that kind of insulation will protect the farmers' finances, and the sector will attract youth, see the way the entertainment industry is attractive to the youth, farming may be the next big thing.

MaziOmenuko:
This is the worse problem currently facing agriculture in the country: lack of preservative measures! This same quantity that sells for N300 will sell at N12,000 in the next 3 months when the rain starts. Isnt there a way to preserve the vegetable and make it available all round the year? Also read somewhere that 70% of those fruits and vegetables get spoilt before they are moved from the farms to the final consumer.

If only PHCN can assure us of at least 15hrs of light daily, wont mind processing one full basket and store in freezers awaiting the rainy season.

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by ahaz: 11:50pm On Feb 17, 2016
UrbanMystique:
Oh which initiative was that?

These things have being happening long before you were born.
Nigeria lacking storage or proccesing facilities for farm produce .. That's why you have a season for different food in Nigeria which suppose not to be so. A well proccesed or preserved food should last all year round without having a season where it becomes scarce of too much that it goes to waste like this.

And for the record.. You are nothing but hypocrite ..
Innoson became popular under buhari, it was Jonathan policy.
Tomato excess in kastina, it was Jonathan. Tsa, jonathan's policy. Kachickwu, jonathans policy. Anything positive, Jonathan policy which were not seen.
But when book haram throws bomb tommorow, you start shouting buhari. Not Jonathan, when naira falls again tommorow, you start shouting buhari but not Jonathan's policy.

Thunder wey go fire all you wailing hhypocrites still dey chop constipation yam.
guy why you dy defend buhari with muscle na?
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Sparkle777(f): 12:35am On Feb 18, 2016
cckris:
Buhari has budgeted 29 billions for Agric, & 39 billions for lies & disinformation. You probably voted for this CHANGE to ruin the prosperity of Northern Nigeria

Wat on earth are u talkin abt? Wetin concern my tomatoes and PMB? Despite the fact dt I didnt vote for Buhari, his govt has really done well. Am happy pmb is d president.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Sparkle777(f): 12:37am On Feb 18, 2016
EazyMoh:

Thanks, we'll the drying is pretty easy;
1. get a clean surface preferably outdoors ( we used to do it in our farm) you can achieve this by spreading polythene sheets or roofing sheets.
2. slice the tomato in halves and place them on the surface the cut side facing the sun.
3. Drain any flowing liquid in the tomatoes. leave it 24h out there because even at night air breeze continue the drying.
4. pack and package when they dried. Due to hot sun during dry season in my area, this process takes less than four days.

BTW am a Chemical Engineering graduate so my aim is to get a simple low-cost technique in making the sachet tomato paste.
All the best. tolzy90

Thanks dear. kiss
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by livingstoneony(m): 6:09am On Feb 18, 2016
Ok.... visit my link for amazing stories.
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Uten9z(m): 6:14am On Feb 18, 2016
They should pls move it to Adamawa, here we still buy less than 30 pieces for 300 naira. A very extortive town to live filled with lazy gluts.

Preserve this things pls PMBuhari.
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Adminisher: 12:53pm On Feb 18, 2016
ziky2010:
Dis is an investment opportunity

Yes. Put them in crates and export them. No other country can beat that price in this world.
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by StarboyMichael(m): 4:40am On May 10, 2016
Oga you are a prophet o. Basket of tomatoes was N2500 middle of March, I bought a basket for my child's naming. Going back there end of April, it was N12,000 in Deidei market Abuja. I was shocked, I went with about N5000, I ended up coming home with a quarter of a basket.

MaziOmenuko:

1 Like

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by maxjax(m): 7:36pm On May 10, 2016
I hear now that it sells for over 40,000
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by MaziOmenuko: 8:41am On May 11, 2016
MaziOmenuko:

Said it! This business is an untapped crude-oil deposit!

Shey we have an agric section in this forum?

1 Like

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by divineappo(m): 11:28am On May 11, 2016
BraniacX:
good! let the glut continue till they develop common sense in the north, sometime in the last two years, an Israeli firm wanted to build a tomato processing factory in kano and this was opposed by all and sundry up north, so let the glut be enternal because these abok1's don't know how to put business before politics and religious fundamentalism, luckily for them though, dangote is building a tomatoe factory somewhere up north too so till it comes online let those ignorant farmers bear the brunt of their unwise sentimental choices.
dangote must have even instigated d gullible northerners against dat israeli company bcoz he plans to setup his own tomato processing plant there. Dats d world we live in. My opinion though...

1 Like

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by soke02(m): 8:53am On Sep 09, 2022
How many acres can one get as a least

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Biggest Onion Market In Nigeria In Kebbi State (Photos) / Nwachi Oster-Francis Develops Hybrid Of Tilapia At The Universiti Putra / The Signpost At A Plantain Garden: "Steal With Joy & Die With Tears" (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.