Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,111 members, 7,880,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 06:26 PM

Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" (55864 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By Standard Chartered As Director, To Earn £130k / Why Northern Leaders Worked Against Jonathan’s Govt – Paul Unongo / Nigerians On Twitter Blast Onyeka Onwenu Over The Way She Greeted Buhari (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by geez18(m): 10:17am On Feb 18, 2016
so many fọ́ọ́lish people in nairaland embarassed

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by AfroKnight: 10:19am On Feb 18, 2016
This reminds me of an Igbo colleague who resigned from a Lebanese firm. Why? He said they hate him because he is "Igbo"!

I was surprised by that shameless display of victim mentality. This is a firm run by foreigners who don't give a hoot about Nigerian tribes yet he found a way to sneak tribalism into the whole issue.

3 Likes

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by Caseless: 10:20am On Feb 18, 2016
charles316:

I have a colleague like you. He hates people who " bring in ethnic coloration into issues " but he is the biggest tribalist in the office.

Hope you practice what you preach.
funny post.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by anachy: 10:21am On Feb 18, 2016
NigerianDiamond:

Igbos are fond of this and are the major culprit of this act. I was laid-off in a First-Generation BANK in February 2015 because of my stance of being a Buhari supporter by the Igbo-majority in the branch I worked here in Lagos (Yoruba Land!). I took it in good stride and moved on without making much hassles. So you and your people should stop ranting and face the reality of democracy. Winner takes it ALL...
so the igbos re the one that laid you off from the bank cos of your suppots to buharii? Funny. IGBOPrince where re you? Re you now ban? I can't see ur comments .
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by emmydee(m): 10:23am On Feb 18, 2016
Caseless:
I just discovered she's a senseless woman!

I stop loving people immediately they bring ethnic coloration into issues.

I do not agree with you. The govt should rather investigate those issues she pointed out cos they actually took place. If you become a DG someday and your staff behave in such a manner, am sure you will react too.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by charles316: 10:24am On Feb 18, 2016
Caseless:
funny post.

On a more serious note,tribalism won't take us anywhere. We,Africans, are still living in the past and tribalism won't let us achieve much.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by vega84(m): 10:25am On Feb 18, 2016
Aufbauh:
The difference between Igbo and IPOB is their mentality and speech.
Onyeka Onwenu sounds like an ipob woman in high place, always blaming other people for their woes.
Come to think that she is not the only one relieved of her DG duty makes her rambling pathetic, shameless, ludicrous, lugubrious and ungrateful.
,u see the point is that u have failed to read the write up very well,she is nt complaining abt the sack rather abt the attitude of staffs under her, BT u will nt read well perhaps cos ur are Yoruba and amala has covered ur brains and thinking, cos IPOB is ur worst 9t mare.

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by mrDennis(m): 10:26am On Feb 18, 2016
luvmijeje:
I understand why she felt she was targeted because is Igbo. But what would have made her complaints credible is to tell us her achievement for the past 2 and half years that she was DG of NCWD.

she should have decorated the whole article with activities she headed to empower women despite all the challenges she faced.

GOD bless you ... Such a long letter but not one mention of any achievement in office .

Tribalism is the excuse of failures, same way the lecture r failed me is the excuse when students .

4 Likes

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by emmydee(m): 10:26am On Feb 18, 2016
geez18:
so many fọ́ọ́lish people in nairaland embarassed
honestly!
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by Caseless: 10:36am On Feb 18, 2016
charles316:

On a more serious note,tribalism won't take us anywhere. We,afrcans, are still living in the past and tribalism won't let us achieve much.
that's just my point. I don't want anyone to come out, in an attempt to curry favor, they use religion and tribe. I believe it's not only northerners that work in that agency and if she had complained about Nigerians in general...since Nigerians in the civil service are known with such attitude generally. But she chose to add that ethnic coloration to it so as to sectionalize it. We have heads of agencies who are not northerners and have not been sacked and also, we have southerners who have been sacked alongside northerners. So those northerners who have been sacked, what could be the reason for their sack, because they are northerners?

Tribalism won't help us!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by ATERI(m): 10:37am On Feb 18, 2016
Goke7:

my guy most of what onyeka said if not all is nothing new but if I may ask you will her rantings solve the problem? mama peace[GEJ's wife] said more during the campaign and still they got booted out

Her rantings would not change anything because when Obasanjo was there, Yorubas dominated Nigeria with no Yoruba shouting tribalism or marginalisation. Then Goodluck got there, the South-South dominated Nigeria without them remembering tribalism. Hausa/Fulani shouted tribalism and marginalization during the time of Obasanjo and Jonathan and responded with Sharia and Boko Haram. Now Hausa/Fulani would dominate Niigeria leaving the South to do what they have always done: raving and ranting. They are all as bad as each other and would do precisely the same when in Power. So far so preditable. Nigeria needs to be restructured, but who remembers that once they are in power?
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by sorepco(m): 10:42am On Feb 18, 2016
Did u really read what was written? A surbordinate goes on foreign trip sponsored by the ministry without the dg's knowldge and u think its ok??
Those liking your post..did they read at all? Its not a matter of tribe...becos some persons think they cant be fired at these parastatals they tend to not be serious with their jobs...is that how we should run our country?
Let me give u my personal experience with nafdac staff. When dora was the dg the whole staff was amazing and knowlegeable! It did matter whether hausa..igbo or yorruba. They could direct you rightly on tour querries. Infact i was amazed at their professinalism!!! After all i heard about their ineptitude and lack of interest in their jobs....compared to firs office iwent to. Those ones were sumtin else!!

laidian:
She should keep crying... If that is your case, then all other tribes sacked were sacked because of their tribe. metcheeeew
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by datribune: 10:43am On Feb 18, 2016
I hope EFCC recovers d loot frm dis desperate hustler. Onyeka Onwenu started her ignoble hugging of any government in power frm d IBB days to d shameful Abacha 1 million-man match to being Madam Jonathan's cheerleader-in-chief. If she had any principles, she should've resigned rather than serve under PMB, a man she once severely disparaged. Good riddance to an AGIP without principles.

3 Likes

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by laidian(m): 10:45am On Feb 18, 2016
sirrinky:

I don't know if you read the article but if you did I'm sure you'd see that she didn't complain about being fired,from her words its actually freeing her up to go into her private endeavors.What she has a problem with though is the saboteurs with the ministry and parastatals which no one can deny.Or what else will you call destroying 3 GENS owned by the parastatal few hours to an oversight visit.I'm a Nigerian,I have friends from all around the country who like me don't care about tribe or regions but live like sensible and responsible human beings.But the idea of northerners feeling entitled in Nigeria has got to stop.We are all stake holders in this venture and should act as such.Nigeria belongs to everybody

I read the article and my comment was to attack the title of the article not the content. Unfortunately, either the OP or Mod changed the topic.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by erekoshe: 10:51am On Feb 18, 2016
apholaryn:
I don't debate with hypocrites as well.

If you ain't more hypocritical, why did u trigger the conversation? Was my post targeted at u? Is it my fault that you're unable to read and understand? Or didn't you see the 'business' clause there?

Grow some sense pls
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by Ayus34(m): 10:52am On Feb 18, 2016
Though didnt support tribalizing issues....but there are some element of truth in that woman's claim......nigeria belong to all!
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by kraftykc(m): 10:54am On Feb 18, 2016
baralatie:

Now you are been fair!
She was in a ministry for women development.
I can tell you there are issues about women all over Nigeria from taraba,Benue,cross river,Edo,On do,Oshogbo etc but the say this sack is because of ethnicity from within the parastatal haba

But read the story, SHE DIDN'T SAY THAT!!! The blogger who phrased this title has to get sued.

2 Likes

Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by shellworker: 10:54am On Feb 18, 2016
Hi
Kockane:
Mummy Onyeka, ordinarily you belong in the class of King Sunny Ade, Oliver de coque, Ebenezer Obey, etc. Because truly you are a veteran in the industry but unfortunately today, due to your greed and wanton desire for easy wealth, you have sold your integrity to the highest bidder and lost all respect that should be accorded a woman of your calibre. Today, I wouldn't even place you in the class of people like Vic-O, because at least, those people have something they stand for, for you madam, I'm yet to see exactly what your values are.

From supporting Babangida's tyrranical rule, to spearheading Abacha's "President for life" ambition, to licking Obasanjo's butt, Yaradua didn't have your time but you eventually wriggled your way into power again with GEJ and carried his failed reelection bid on your head like a pure water seller.

Right now you should just bow your head in shame please, and stop trying to whip up tribal sentiments because you lost a job given to you as compensation. Because if I ask you now, since you got into office, how have you been able to touch the life of the average Nigerian? You go dey look me like luqmon.

Please be gone! Nothing you or say willbchange the fact that you were disgraced out of office.

#iStandWithBuhari

Before you write rubbish did you not read all she wrote about ethnic sentiment. So you are trying to say she said all that to attract ethnic sympathy? I just have to say you should get the message correctly before commenting and displaying your tribalism ice trait.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by shellworker: 10:56am On Feb 18, 2016
Caseless:
I just discovered she's a senseless woman!

I stop loving people immediately they bring ethnic coloration into issues.

Read the message well. Her write up warrants ethnic coloration or whatever.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by kraftykc(m): 10:57am On Feb 18, 2016
johntolu:
[color=#006600][/color]
Madam'a actions to me, is simply 'medicine after death'.
I believed she should have raised the issue of 'fatwa', against her immediately the incidence occurred
or probably, drag the actors to court for a threat on her life.
She would have received more sympathy and support from Nigerians if she has taken this step.
Her image would have soared higher if she had resigned her appointment, when a subordinate in her department, was sent abroad, without her knowledge.
That singular action would have gone a long way in addressing many of the injustices in the Federal civil service, and probably, some other unresolved issues in the country.

If you think it's alright to twist a person's words like the OP has done, then we have nothing to discuss because that's the actual bone of contention for me.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by josite: 10:58am On Feb 18, 2016
. A situation where the Ministry could invite a Management Staff to a trip abroad without informing the DG and the Staff would only inform her principal via text message, from the Airport as she is leaving the country, creates an atmosphere of indiscipline and anything goes. The Ministry should restrain itself to its spelt out function and not undermine the authority of the DG.

this reminds me of unilag when a prof and head of dept was informed by a staff under him that she is now a professor .and it is the hod that ought to first know and communicate the news to her.

and someone called nigeria a zoo and was locked up.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by baralatie(m): 10:59am On Feb 18, 2016
kraftykc:

But read the story, SHE DIDN'T SAY THAT!!! The blogger who phrased this title has to get sued.
I want to step back a bit an imagine if the writer of those comments was not Onyeka,will you be tempted to think at first that the comments were unfair by focusing on ethnical values instead of fighting for the Nigerian woman

This is just part and I hope it was the blogger that is telling lies

"There remained though, a remnant who felt that the Center was their personal preserve and that the position of Director General should only go to someone from their part of the country.

I was initially dismissed as just a Musician.
When that did not work, I was targeted and abused for being an Igbo woman who came to give jobs to and elevate my people while sidelining them.
When these detractors could not provide answers to the spate of improvement we were bringing, they resorted to sabotage and blackmail. The first such salvo was fired when a Senate Committee visited on an oversight mission a few months after my arrival. All three Generators at the Center were cannibalized, overnight, just hours to the visit. "

By the I go through some of the remaining it points not to what women face but what she as an Igbo faces which is a bit somehow when you are someone that knows a lot about what women in Nigeria go through
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by cheruv: 11:03am On Feb 18, 2016
NigerianDiamond:

Igbos are fond of this and are the major culprit of this act. I was laid-off in a First-Generation BANK in February 2015 because of my stance of being a Buhari supporter by the Igbo-majority in the branch I worked here in Lagos (Yoruba Land!). I took it in good stride and moved on without making much hassles. So you and your people should stop ranting and face the reality of democracy. Winner takes it ALL...
As a believer in one Nigeria,its your duty to show a non believer like me the benefits of one Nigeria(I mean in deeds not words) instead of wailing like you just did undecided
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by Mackson01: 11:04am On Feb 18, 2016
Lenuee Onyeka. I am disappointed
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by winniz: 11:06am On Feb 18, 2016
Naija bloggers are just so useless, see as this hungry blogger just twisted what this woman said. The press release I read on Stella's blog is different from what this stupidd blogger posted here.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by Amadaz(m): 11:06am On Feb 18, 2016
May Amadioha strike them all that have a hand in your sackin. Iseeeeee
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by Caseless: 11:07am On Feb 18, 2016
AfroKnight:

Throughout my stay in the east, I never saw even one street named after a non-igbo. The local government would rather leave the new street nameless and wait for an Igbo to buy land and apply. Even in their Federal Universities, non-igbos should forget about aspiring to higher positions cos the auhorities run the schools like State Institutions.

In their state civil service, non-igbos are virtually nonexistent. It is so bad that muslim igbos are victimized. Even Anglicans and Catholics have laughable discrimination issues. I have not even mentioned their politics. What non-indegenes often thrive upon is Entrepreneurship.

If you want to see real tribalism, go to the east. The reason they are quick to scream victimization is because they are so quick to victimize and marginalize other tribes. They think everyone is as clannish as they are.
I have always said it, in their place they won't give you 0.5% of what they'd ask you in ur place to give them 100%. They don't celebrate people from other regions- you can't find a street named after people from other regions, but we do such for them.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by baralatie(m): 11:09am On Feb 18, 2016
winniz:
Naija bloggers are just so useless, see as this hungry blogger just twisted what this woman said. The press release I read on Stella's blog is different from what this stupidd blogger posted here.
Please can you save the situation by opening a topic and reposting her correct statements .to correct this wickedness of the bloggerblogger
Thank you
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by Caseless: 11:11am On Feb 18, 2016
emmydee:
I do not agree with you. The govt should rather investigate those issues she pointed out cos they actually took place. If you become a DG someday and your staff behave in such a manner, am sure you will react too.
that's my point too. She should tell the government how she faced her problem and proffer solutions on how to tackle the issues of deadwoods in our civil service and not sectionalizing it.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by Caseless: 11:12am On Feb 18, 2016
nnokwa042:
what do u think will happen if igbos re the one grazing thier cattles inside hausa fulani farm wont they call it infidel cattles?or will yoruba allow igbo to graze thier cattles in thier farm for free,who amongs u want to build filling station?u or ur father?and u went to igbo land they refuse to sell land to u,how did oando filling station get thier own land or how did glo get land to build thier mast,mr man if u want land u pay for land cus no where in nigeria where igbos get land for free,after paying for land u pay omo onile and ur here talking as u dash igbos land angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
do ibos do cattle business? Haba
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by precious1967(m): 11:13am On Feb 18, 2016
hmmm.... marginalisation
Re: Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" by RisingSun1: 11:14am On Feb 18, 2016
As an igboman,I have come to the realization that Nigeria doesn't belong to me.Fighting to get anything under Nigeria is a total waste of time.

I have a nation where there will be no tribalism,where I will free to aspire to be whosoever I want to be.And that nation is the land of the rising sun.

I pity igbo-Nigerians because in the end,they will sink with Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Second Coming Of Goodluck Jonathan - Dele Momodu / Labour Party’s Tony Nwoye Defeats Stella Oduah, Ex-first Lady, Ebele Obiano / Social Media Reactions To Aisha Buhari Statement On Edo Prostitutes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.