Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,371 members, 7,901,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 09:06 PM

Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most (28759 Views)

Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! / Nigeria, Four Oil Exporters Hit By Falling Currency Value, Says OPEC / What Is Devaluation Of Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by ibietela2(m): 12:53pm On Feb 19, 2016
pappilo:

Why dont you use a Nigeria based company to host?

http://www.hyperia.com

Hyperia has been in Nigeria forever. If all you small players used their services instead of paying foreign companies in dollars, they would have been a much more successful company.

Nope........
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by ibietela2(m): 12:54pm On Feb 19, 2016
Demdem:

What is the percentage of Nigerians who even understand this or have this as their primary headache? The mere fact that u are even involved in this suggest that u are among the elite. Live with the consequence of previous bad leadership.
That tomato selling mama in the market doesnt ffucking care or know what this is all about.

So you haven't heard were market people will tell you Dollar has increased?

Me Elite ? What will you call egift? Or Ameachi
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by ibietela2(m): 12:56pm On Feb 19, 2016
jpphilips:

Perhaps we have to be paying to be able to access Nairaland, have you tried to get dollar at the official rate for hosting your website?

I make payment with my card
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by Demdem(m): 12:59pm On Feb 19, 2016
ibietela2:

So you haven't heard were market people will tell you Dollar has increased?

Me Elite ? What will you call egift? Or Ameachi

Yes, they tell u such to swindle u of ur resources. Tell me how dollar rise on parallel market affect the price of tomatoes in the market.

1 Like

Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by Demdem(m): 1:01pm On Feb 19, 2016
ibietela2:

I make payment with my card

U Av been advised to start making use of Nigerian companies that does the same thing and u will pay in naira. Patronise them and reduce the pressure on our naira with ur luxury.
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by ibietela2(m): 1:03pm On Feb 19, 2016
ishiamu:

Look inward like change my sis sch to unilag?

That is what he means
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by ibietela2(m): 1:04pm On Feb 19, 2016
rozayx5:

they are now on the defensive grin grin grin grin grin

when they were campaigning they promised dubai. ngeneukwenu was their leader . now instead of showing me where the refineries they promised are gettng built and their million houses . she HE is here talking trash . wetin concern us with venezuela? by 2019 most of them will run fron this forum because of excess shame. barcanista the belle face analyst is now confused already

Yw
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by ibietela2(m): 1:15pm On Feb 19, 2016
Demdem:

U Av been advised to start making use of Nigerian companies that does the same thing and u will pay in naira. Patronise them and reduce the pressure on our naira with ur luxury.

And I said NO... There's no hosting company in Nigeria they are all RESELLERS.
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by ibietela2(m): 1:16pm On Feb 19, 2016
Babacele:
used by who Dasuki, Ali Sheriff or who? or PMB who is cleaning una shameful mess? or by numero Uno Jagaban who has been ever consistent in making Nigeria the best? or who? those who said telephone is not for the poor? please who?

Whatever rocks your canoe
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by hero2000: 1:20pm On Feb 19, 2016
jpphilips:

You made sense with the first article though it is nothing new, only the ignorant minds who refuse to grow up still think buhari is the cause of their economic woes, while I absolve buhari completely in this economic mess, I would blame Jonathan in 2015 but I think it is irresponsible to blame Jonathan in 2016 and beyond. let me tell you why;

No matter how much you save, it is only a matter of time before the balance of trade will tilt that is a fact, The rubbles went on a free fall recently according to your article, it has devalued by 100% against the dollar, so I can assume that by your analysis the Russian Economy is in trouble right?
Are you aware that this troubled Russian economy saved over $400b when the going was good? so why are their savings not saving them?
The answer lies with the fact that savings only buy time but will never change the inevitable.

You may have a valid argument by citing western sanctions but does it change the fact that Russia is the highest exporter of Natural gas in Europe? Europe is in winter and you have no idea how much Russia is making from Gas sales alone. Does it change the fact that russia has signed arms deal with china to the tune of Billions of dollars recently? or that president Assad has recently purchased an unspecified number of sophisticated air defence systems from Russia or that Iran recently placed orders for unspecified number of Su-30 fighter jets from Russia.

The idea of saving became a government policy in Nigeria during the era of OBJ and Soludo when the ECA was created, from there we paid off our debts which was a big sack on our annual budgets, we launched the NIPP, we paid subsidy, during the meltdown that saw most western economies in recession, the Nigerian economy was "immuned" according to Soludo, thanks to that savings made by Obasanjo.

The interesting part of the puzzle is that despite all the good things that savings did for our economy at the time, towards the end of Obj's administration, Naira was devalued to 155 against the dollar. To save is the right thing and it has saved us a lot of wahala in the past no doubt about it but if crude prices remain low for a longer time (OBJ/SOludo were just lucky that it peaked eventually), soludo with his savings would have devalued further.

So you see, there must be balance of trade whether or not you saved. It is irresponsible if buhari's media team continue to blame Jonathan beyond 2016, how much will Jonathan save that will stop the inevitable? I blamed jonathan in 2015, I voted him out in 2015 because I believe it was too early to have dipped into recession, but the present government needs to take hold of the wheels, this is no longer2015 and we voted them for a reason.

Very solid analysis
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by ibietela2(m): 1:27pm On Feb 19, 2016
[b]
plaetton:

First, so you're blaming PDP for the state of the general economy?
Fine.
That's a legitimate statement considering that they have been at the central power since 1999.

But , but, let me ask you in all honesty, when you say PDP mismanaged the economy since 1999, with what yardstick do you use to compare?

Before 1999, who managed the economy?
Did they manage it well ?

PDP was corrupt. We all agree.
But as compared to what ?

Now, another thing that escapes most of you is that at least 75-80% of those that presently make up the APC were at one time, staunch PDP members.

I need to remind you that APC stalwarts strongly objected to the creation of sovereign wealth fund ( the much talked about savings for the rainy day).
Selective amnesia?

I need to remind you further that all states of the federation, including APC States, participated willfully in the depletion of our foreign reserves.

Now, since you and I are aboard the famous BLAME TRAIN, let's make a detour into the past and pass the blame around.
Starting with GEJ, who should rightly be blaming the lame duck presidency of Yaradua, who's family moved the presidency to the kitchen while he was dying in a hospital bed in Saudi Arabia.

Yaradua's people, should in turn, blame the presidency of OBJ, who accomplished much, but left a high standard of administration that they could not attempt to match.

OBJ, should also blame Abdusalami and Abacha for the locust years, where again, the presidency resided in Abacha's kitchen.

And then we ride the BLAME TRAIN to the IBB years, the anything goes years, when Nigeria was SAP-ed into a valley of dry bones.

My point in all of this is that APC federal government and their apologists sing songs that the immediate past administration mismanaged the economy is hollow and baseless; for the simple reason that our economy has NEVER EVER been properly managed by any administration since Independence.

The challenge, the challenge of any new government, this new government, this supposedly new crop of leadership is to embrace the present challenge and show , through concrete action, that they can indeed demystify leadership and economic stewardship in Nigeria.

Anything else surely betrays their HOLLOWNESS and confusion.
[/b]
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by ishiamu(m): 1:30pm On Feb 19, 2016
ibietela2:

That is what he means

LoLzz, he shd tell buhari dat and politician wen dem start aw follow suit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by ibietela2(m): 1:33pm On Feb 19, 2016
Demdem:

Thank u for providing a Nigerian solution for him. It will go a long way in reducing the pressure on our naira.

Mtcheeeeeeew...... My sites will crash their server.... Am sure they are still using OLD Softwares
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by delejames(m): 1:35pm On Feb 19, 2016
shaqhead:

What u stated is common knowledge but if an economy that big is feeling the pinch that badly then where does one place a monolithic economy like ours.

If you think it doesnt affect Russia that badly think again cos jst few days ago they agreed with Saudi to cut back oil production. Read http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/16/russia-saudi-arabia-output-freeze-helps-oil-price-higher-in-asia.html

I remember when Kachikwu voiced same, some of ur cotravellers flooded this platform witth inanities.

For as long as we remain a monolithic economy our destiny will be puppetered by the crest and troughs of the oil market except we diversify.

In the SHORT TERM pending when oil prices pick up and our currency gains some of its lost weight, no fiscal policy will have any significant bearing on our economy, if there was ssome magic wand somewhere, other more advanced economies would have employed same.

So expectin the handlers of our economy to pull a rabbit out of their hats borders on the realm of incongruity!

If only the past government had heed its own warning of putting buffers in place, we wont be feeling the bite this much!

Folks like u hate it when the question "How did we get here?" on the issue of our econony is thrown up, because no matter how u dice it you still come back to that shifting sand of the crass profligacy perpetrated by the "nest of killers".

U folks have two words for this right? You call it BLAME GAME just like you got urselves two words for the war against corruption-MEDIA TRIAL!

It beats my imagination that folks like you who are accomplices to murder are the most vociferous for a resurrection of your murdered victim!
Its unfortunate its just one like per post..would have giving 10000000000 likes for this..
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by shaqhead: 1:53pm On Feb 19, 2016
delejames:
Its unfortunate its just one like per post..would have giving 10000000000 likes for this..
Baba u go jst tire for some Nigerians! I greet you..
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by zurine(f): 2:22pm On Feb 19, 2016
wow
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by jpphilips(m): 2:23pm On Feb 19, 2016
Demdem:

First and foremost, i never presented any article as stated by you. i only expressed my opinion and i still stand by u.
secondly, I got ur drift. the bottom line is we need alternatives to oil that will fetch us foreign currency. That want available by the time this govt was coming on board. Are u among those that think those alternatives by now after less than a yr in power should be fetching us the amount we desire? how long will do u think these will come to play? Tommorrow? For me, I choose to give them till 2nd quarter of this year. Anything before then is Jonah-daft curse hunting us.

It was a reply I gave to another not you, you did not get my drift, I am saying that Jonathan's curse has an expiry date, once that date passes, Buhari's media handlers should know better not to continue blaming him.
I analysed the situation thoroughly.
Saudi saved over $800b, Norway saved over $700b in SWF though theirs is over 20yrs old, the truth is that all of them are making budget cuts in 2016 because they are conserving their savings.
We are doing import restrictions to conserve the little we have, If Jonathan saved, it will only buy us more time but will never remove the inevitable.

By March 2016, anybody blaming Jonathan for our current economic woes is a f00l. That is the bottomline.

I am speaking from a Buhari's fan point of view not PDP, listen;

Nigeria's oil wealth is small compared to our population, in 3yrs the most prudent government will not save up to $100b, now this is an economy that has infrastructural deficit, it will not make much sense saving funds meant for capital projects for the rainy day, so the best estimate should be between $60b-$80b, even OBJ saved about $68b, $45b in forex account and the rest in ECA.

The money will not last us beyond one year even if Jonathan saved due to our import glut, we voted him out because he stole so much and forgot to save, but after a year when it is assumed that Jonathan's savings would have been exhausted, it is buffoonery to continue blaming Jonathan.

I expect APC narrative to change from March to the present oil realities not PDP, on corruption they can blame them for as long as they want but economy, blaming Jonathan beyond March is making Buhari look like a f00l and his handlers must stop that madness real soon.

1 Like

Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by Kennydoc(m): 2:23pm On Feb 19, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
Even Though The CBN Official rate of the Naira( which caters for about 80% of the dollar Usage) against the dollar Still remained @ 199 Naira at the Close Business Yesterday, while the parallel Market (Black Market) trades at 385 Naira to a dollar...It is pertinent to state that we are suffering for the mismanagement and corruption of the yesteryears, engineered, watered and nurtured by Vision less Party that just left power.

For the Past 16 Years, they looted Our reserves:

For For past 16 years, they did not Save for the rainy day...

For the past 16 years, they did not diversify our Economy..

For the past 16 years, they never implemented any of their yearly ritualistic budgets to stimulate the economy..

For the past 16 years, they only shared our Foreign exchange and depleted our reserves...

Now this is result of their hard work....

In fact , it is still a miracle, that The Present Government is still meeting it's financial Obligations in the face of all these crunches...

Since it's all about PDP, let me ask you a few questions:

How many of the nations you listed were administered by PDP over the past 16 years? How come they are all facing economic woes?

When the NGF led by Amaechi took the FG to court over the sharing of ECA, what was your opinion? You guys were supporting the governors because their move was against the FG, and every move against Jonathan's government was welcomed by you.

What did the APC states achieve with their share of the ECA?
Despite the heavy allocation that accrued to states in those 16 years, none of the former opposition states achieved anything whether in terms of projects or savings.
Lagos still has the largest debt burden today, despite the state being run at over 400 billion naira per annum. The last time I knew about LASG debt, it was over 500 billion naira, and that was prior to the last approved debt for the state.

Osun State governor also got several billions of naira from the ECA and squandered the money on Opon Imo and the world's tallest talking drum amidst other frivolities. Imo state governor spent his own paying salaries to school pupils and students of the state. Today, both states are the symbols of "brokeness" among all the states in Nigeria.

The only governor that clearly saved for the rainy day was Peter Obi, and it was from his savings that Obiano has been transforming Anambra State ever since.

If the states that were run by APC especially Lagos didn't demonstrate financial propriety over the years of plenty, and if there are many more nations that are currently going through economic woes apart from Nigeria, on what basis have you been accusing the PDP for the present challenges?
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by Herrmes: 2:32pm On Feb 19, 2016
lurlah2014:
THIS WILL BE IF PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL PROCLAIM YOURSELF AS NIGERIAN.
BY THE WAY IF IT HAS NOT AFFECTED YOU AND YOU DONT DEPEND ON YOUR NAIRA ATM, WHY ARE YOU STILL STRUGGLING ON HOW TO PAY YOUR SCH FEES?
WTF? Who is struggling to pay school fees?
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by lurlah2014(f): 4:14pm On Feb 19, 2016
GO BACK TO YOUR MESSAGE BEFORE I STARTED QUOTING YOU
Herrmes:
WTF? Who is struggling to pay school fees?
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by Laid2001: 5:09pm On Feb 19, 2016
So everyone is now in foreign university!
U better port to uniben

NighttWalker:
What the fvck are you talking about? Everyone's feeling the heat, my uni fees have almost doubled thanks to buharis government and the devaluation of the naira.
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by Demdem(m): 3:34pm On Feb 22, 2016
jpphilips:

It was a reply I gave to another not you, you did not get my drift, I am saying that Jonathan's curse has an expiry date, once that date passes, Buhari's media handlers should know better not to continue blaming him.
I analysed the situation thoroughly.
Saudi saved over $800b, Norway saved over $700b in SWF though theirs is over 20yrs old, the truth is that all of them are making budget cuts in 2016 because they are conserving their savings.
We are doing import restrictions to conserve the little we have, If Jonathan saved, it will only buy us more time but will never remove the inevitable.

By March 2016, anybody blaming Jonathan for our current economic woes is a f00l. That is the bottomline.

I am speaking from a Buhari's fan point of view not PDP, listen;

Nigeria's oil wealth is small compared to our population, in 3yrs the most prudent government will not save up to $100b, now this is an economy that has infrastructural deficit, it will not make much sense saving funds meant for capital projects for the rainy day, so the best estimate should be between $60b-$80b, even OBJ saved about $68b, $45b in forex account and the rest in ECA.

The money will not last us beyond one year even if Jonathan saved due to our import glut, we voted him out because he stole so much and forgot to save, but after a year when it is assumed that Jonathan's savings would have been exhausted, it is buffoonery to continue blaming Jonathan.

I expect APC narrative to change from March to the present oil realities not PDP, on corruption they can blame them for as long as they want but economy, blaming Jonathan beyond March is making Buhari look like a f00l and his handlers must stop that madness real soon.

I never faulted ur analysis at all Infact if u read carefully u will notice that the only point where both of us disagree on is on the deadline we gave to the ruling party. While u gave them up till the 1St quarter I choose to give them up till the 3Rd quarter.
I appreciate the fact that we need alternative source of income and alternative stuffs to export to secure foreign exchange.
IMO, March may be too soon considering the fact that before now, little or nothing was done as regards diversification. Besides one needs to invest first in these areas before one start talking about returns. On this basis, I choose to wait till the 3rd quarter when I expect these things would have been put to place.
One thing u can't take away from this govt though is the fact that the very little income we are generating now bottomless pits everywhere to consume it seems to have been covered and they are also aggressively pursuing their tax returns. I will wait till 3rd quarter.
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by jpphilips(m): 5:16pm On Feb 22, 2016
Demdem:

I never faulted ur analysis at all Infact if u read carefully u will notice that the only point where both of us disagree on is on the deadline we gave to the ruling party. While u gave them up till the 1St quarter I choose to give them up till the 3Rd quarter.
I appreciate the fact that we need alternative source of income and alternative stuffs to export to secure foreign exchange.
IMO, March may be too soon considering the fact that before now, little or nothing was done as regards diversification. Besides one needs to invest first in these areas before one start talking about returns. On this basis, I choose to wait till the 3rd quarter when I expect these things would have been put to place.
One thing u can't take away from this govt though is the fact that the very little income we are generating now bottomless pits everywhere to consume it seems to have been covered and they are also aggressively pursuing their tax returns. I will wait till 3rd quarter.

The time frame you are giving Buhari to deliver is different from the time frame I estimated Jonathan's savings to last.
Now, it doesn't matter whether Buhari delivered in the first or second quarter, constitutionally, Nigerians gave him four years before he does another or booted out, however he wishes to spread his manifesto is his problem.

My point basically is that Jonathan wasted opportunities but it is f00lish to blame him forever, his savings will at some point be exhausted hence tilt the balance of trade that will still get us to this point, a year or two is enough for the blame game anything beyond that is Buffoonery.
For a serious govt that has plans, one year is enough.
Re: Five Oil Exporters Affected By Currency Devaluation Most by Demdem(m): 6:45am On Feb 23, 2016
jpphilips:

The time frame you are giving Buhari to deliver is different from the time frame I estimated Jonathan's savings to last.
Now, it doesn't matter whether Buhari delivered in the first or second quarter, constitutionally, Nigerians gave him four years before he does another or booted out, however he wishes to spread his manifesto is his problem.

I gave Jona-daft far more time so the timeframe i gave to me is very reasonable. Not dependent on ur calculations or what u feel. Its my personal choice and decision.

My point basically is that Jonathan wasted opportunities but it is f00lish to blame him forever,

No one is saying otherwise.

his savings will at some point be exhausted hence tilt the balance of trade that will still get us to this point,

even at that alternatives are currently being worked on. Reality has fast dawned on us and we all are looking beyond oil.

a year or two is enough for the blame game anything beyond that is Buffoonery.

Have they even spent a year? EVen by the end of ur 1st quarter, would it have been a yr by then? please chill out. am not even waiting for two years like u stated. To me one yr six months is more than enough

For a serious govt that has plans, one year is enough.

not one yr or two again right. Anyway, like i stated, 1 yr 6months is ok for me. even when things wernt this bad, i gave jonah-daft 2yrs. am really being very fair here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

CBN Asks Nigerians To Reject Old Naira Notes From Banks / Tony Elumelu-How A Copier Salesman Turned Billionaire Banker And Entrepreneur / Increase In Fuel Price Crashes Naira To N345/$1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.