Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,832 members, 7,912,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 04:16 AM

Unilag students treated badly at senator Ben Bruce Birthday - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Unilag students treated badly at senator Ben Bruce Birthday (756 Views)

Train Kills LASU Final Year Student And Unilag Phd Student (photo) / Senator Ben Bruce Acquire Mad In Nigeria Cars / A Nairalander Reacts At Senator Ben Bruce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unilag students treated badly at senator Ben Bruce Birthday by chiamakaaa: 3:44pm On Feb 20, 2016
Who is Genuine in Nigeria?

Senator Ben Murray Bruce turned 60 yesterday, he took the opportunity to launch his book "The Common Sense Revolution" but it's sad to see that the event in its totality portrays the average Nigerian Politician.

Usually, I hate to attend these so called "Big" events but it was Ben Bruce, the common sense guy, I jumped at the Opportunity to go with my department, department of Mass Communication, University of Lagos as we were invited with a letter and we were feeling all important. We didn't know it was an invitation to humiliation.

At the venue, we were told to go upstairs, we didn't mind, as they said that area was reserved for students. Getting there, I realized it was a perfect view to watch the "Elites" wine and dine. Still, we didn't care. We only began to care when the ceremony kept going on and all tables kept getting additional contents and we were just there, like Observers. Don't forget that we were invited, as I said earlier.

While all of that kept happening, I still didn't care because they said every guest will get a free copy of the book. I wanted the book so, I waited on. At the end, only the guests got the Book. I had to look at our invitation to be sure we were guests. Yes, we were guests but the stiff class stratification that Senator Bruce Criticizes came to play.

It's so sad to see that the actions of the Common Sense Guy justifies the "Common Sense is not so common" statement.

Since I know it's all fake, I'd like to give a professional PR advice. It's so bad, if you invite Nigerian Students, who will, to a large extent, determine your political success, to an event only for them to watch you and your rich friends dine. Their votes aren't even enough.

Writing a book about Common Sense doesn't actually make you have Common Sense. We aren't hungry people. We are Unilag Students and we are contented with what we have, we wouldn't go to shop 10 to sweet-talk anyone about common sense, just to get rice.

Happy Birthday, Senator Ben! Thanks for the deceit, segregation and above all, thanks so much for the Palm oil made Jollof Rice with a meat-like object.

I am Abidemi Adesokan, A concerned Nigerian Student who believes there is hope for Nigeria, but Bruce isn't just that guy.

Please Read and share!
Re: Unilag students treated badly at senator Ben Bruce Birthday by Nobody: 3:50pm On Feb 20, 2016
Hmmmm......

Re: Unilag students treated badly at senator Ben Bruce Birthday by HungerBAD: 3:51pm On Feb 20, 2016
Hehehehehe.

The OP is a very funny guy.

You and your Departmental crew expected to wine and done with him?on the same table?you expect him to be dancing with you "Students" ?

1.The first thing is,why should he even invite students to his Birthday party at all?I am not even a Senator and as a matter of personal policy, I do not let undergraduates (male or female)hang around me.

What exactly do I want to discuss with a Student?

2. Okay you guys are Unilag Students and expect to be treated specially?you guys should use this as a learning experience,and when you get to your final year,add it as an experience when you write your Project.

I blame the Senator 50% for inviting Students to a gathering of grown ups.

And I blame the Students 50% for expecting to be treated as grownups at a grown up party.

1 Like

Re: Unilag students treated badly at senator Ben Bruce Birthday by skyface00(m): 3:57pm On Feb 20, 2016
He can't even manage less than 2000 people, but he criticized someone who managing over 150million .
Re: Unilag students treated badly at senator Ben Bruce Birthday by SamAzing: 5:09pm On Feb 20, 2016
I feel your pain Abidemi.
But in a situation and celebration like that, such should be expected especially when the terms of invitation are not clear enough.
I won't say much as I have just very little info on the whole brouhaha.
Just to ask if:
You and your course mates were the only set of invited UNILAG students.
If yes, is it only Unilag students that were present in the 'students' section'.
I guess a 'no' for that as you said there was a reserved foyer for students. You seem to hammer it like the segregation was deliberately against UNILAG students.
We're yet to see everywhere, replies and reactions of other school students.

Another bird view question is if you guys were late to the event.
As you stated that you were watching the 'Elites' wine and dine... My discretion tells me that before the so called 'elite and classy' would be at such party, then such would have long started. Probably an hour after the early beds are groomed by the celebration atmosphere.
Stating that you saw them eating already..., this hints that you arrived the venue late.
At Silverbird 20yrs celebration in December, it's was obvious how everyone was given almost equal treatment.
Let alone this birthday 'fiesta' that was widely tagged 'strictly by invitation'.
If you do not dance to their reggae (terms) , you then shouldn't expect to enjoy their blues (homely treatment).
Another hint is that this man plans his events himself. As revealed by one MS. Tami, a confidant of the 'Common Sense Senator'.
This in place, he should have no reason whatsoever to segregate. He needs it not.
The fault is most likely from you, less likely from the moderators (usherettes ET al and not likely from Senator. Ben.
This should halt your straight address of ingenuity and lip service to the gaffer.
Mistakes and maladministration are bound to occur when events of this nature are 'evented'.
One last question...
Was Prof. Ralph Akinfeleye (the Don of Mass Communication and founder/director of UNILAG F.M also a friend of Bruce) with you guys?
His presence or back up definitely won't give this awful occurrence an inch of escapism.
The jinx behind the hanky-panky rants proposed by our fellow Akokites should however subside until the above are fully cleared.
Thank you.
Ajayi Samuel
(Faculty of Law, University of Lagos)

(1) (Reply)

. / Caption This Photo Of An Adult Riding A Toy Car On An Express Way / Olamide And Lil Kesh Confirms Lil Kesh Leaving Olamide's YBNL To Start His Own R

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.