Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,665 members, 7,882,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 07:28 PM

Rate My Website Please - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Rate My Website Please (2084 Views)

Cant Load My Website, Please Help / Greeneagles.org, New Website, Please Review / Can I See Your Website Please? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rate My Website Please by cplatform: 1:48pm On Jul 10, 2009
www.courseplatform.com

Your feedback would be taken.
Re: Rate My Website Please by remoranger(m): 2:15pm On Jul 10, 2009
Thank you very much grin grin
You may not know y i am thanking you, but this is just what this board needs at the moment
A good old website review.

Dont worry, you would soon get all the review you want. The heavy artillery would soon start rolling in.

cheers cool cool
Re: Rate My Website Please by yawatide(f): 2:53pm On Jul 10, 2009
remo: and why don't launch the first salvo(s)?  tongue

Anyways, I personally don't comment on blogs, forums (especially one that looks exactly like nairaland, except for theme/colors) or CMS sites for that matter (unless they go out of their way to really, really customize it).  Why? Because the core of the code isn't original.

No offense to anyone.
Re: Rate My Website Please by remoranger(m): 3:18pm On Jul 10, 2009
@poster
You Got SERVED grin grin
Round 1
NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Rate My Website Please by biggjoe(m): 3:22pm On Jul 10, 2009
cant believe you are asking people to review an smf site.

then again, its overcrowded out there at the homepage.
Re: Rate My Website Please by kolitos007: 4:54pm On Jul 10, 2009
Hehe, its just a forum, not a website, me too I need traffic, lol so rate my website too www.shareideasng.com smiley
Re: Rate My Website Please by remoranger(m): 5:53pm On Jul 10, 2009
C dem krawling outta the wood works
half baked developers
Re: Rate My Website Please by yawatide(f): 6:21pm On Jul 10, 2009
(Putting my moderator hat on)

remo, it seems you are eager to pick a fight. If i were the stereotype type of person, I would say it is based on your location where as I joked earlier, Warri boys no dey ever take last, highest na draw, but I won't stoop so low.

Please desist from being a catalyst. Moreover, yours is unsolicited. I am referring to your "half baked" comment and not the first one, which to me is fair game. Arguments are allowed, they just have to be civil. Let's try and stick to this rule.

Thanks

(Taking off moderator hat, putting coder hat back on, going back to work)
Re: Rate My Website Please by remoranger(m): 6:28pm On Jul 10, 2009
Wow. NL has gone places. Kudos to SEUN

The last i checked i dont remember calling any names. and as for the hat. You seem to have a closetfull
Re: Rate My Website Please by yawatide(f): 6:48pm On Jul 10, 2009
remoranger, dos this ring a bell?
half baked developers

Anyways, it's the last you will hear from me on this issue. And no, Seun has no hand in this. I can pick a fight with the best of them but it has to be relevant to the discussion. I don't see how yours is, though if it is, I beg of you to enlighten me.
Re: Rate My Website Please by remoranger(m): 6:57pm On Jul 10, 2009
aight. my bad. i agree i shot the sheriff, but i dont know what the deputy looks like

dont mind all these NL badbelle that want to break us up. lets KSS and make up okay.

i have attached a cute lil wallpaper as a pledge of my undying luv for ya.

Like it?

Re: Rate My Website Please by yawatide(f): 7:26pm On Jul 10, 2009
It's all good.

By the way, I like the orange shirt you are wearing there tongue
Re: Rate My Website Please by kolitos007: 8:13pm On Jul 10, 2009
Hard cores ,
Re: Rate My Website Please by nitation(m): 8:16pm On Jul 10, 2009
show me something

- nitation
Re: Rate My Website Please by bug24(m): 8:28pm On Jul 10, 2009
lol, REMO, u wont kill somebody on this website,
imagine the graduants, lol
men, tears are drippin down ma eyez, i don laf tire.
Re: Rate My Website Please by cvibe: 6:43am On Jul 11, 2009
What is going on here?
Re: Rate My Website Please by kolitos007: 9:25am On Jul 11, 2009
cvibe:

What is going on here?
You said it, they are meant to be reviewing or rating website, totally out of topic I even put link to a website I had done but no one said anything, this is my own website www.website-geeks.co.uk let me here you take the piss, and if you don't, that means you have nothing to say.
Re: Rate My Website Please by yawatide(f): 3:34pm On Jul 11, 2009
website-geeks:

1) Contact us page: doesn't validate email
2) I think that spinning thing around "geeks" has to go - it's literally making me dizzy.
Re: Rate My Website Please by kolitos007: 3:57pm On Jul 11, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

website-geeks:

1) Contact us page: doesn't validate email
2) I think that spinning thing around "geeks" has to go - it's literally making me dizzy.

Thank you for your comments, I am prepared for your criticism, how ever it will also be nice to hear good things to, I will answer your questions.
1. The form is a flash from, and it comes to me, this is my website not for my clients, all messages via the website do not come to me it goes to my server, and goes through a spam system, I don't really want people to enter email address, just want them to leave message if they want to so validate email is of no use to me, if you want to see about that you can see my portfolio you will see that the forms do validate.
2. This is my design, with regards to the spinning thing around geeks, different people will have different opinion, so thank you for your comments.
Re: Rate My Website Please by yawatide(f): 4:05pm On Jul 11, 2009
Hmm,

1) I don't think that just because you are practicing lawn tennis in your backyard, you should comfort yourself with the fact that you are serving "let" balls, just because you aren't playing at wimbledon. You have to be prepared, so to speak, always.

2) The purpose of testing isn't to see what works but what doesn't work. If you feel this way about what I said, it means you couldn't work where I work cos they will point out something that is off by 1px, literally smiley

I equate reviews to testing and besides, you can't go through life feeling good all the time. I haven't exactly trashed your site (though I could). I am pointing out things that, in my opinion, are rookie mistakes.

As for the spinning stuff, sure that is your opinion but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to stick with it if many don't find it appealing.
Re: Rate My Website Please by ztyle(m): 4:54pm On Jul 11, 2009
Na forum, but e make sense. grin
Re: Rate My Website Please by remoranger(m): 7:13pm On Jul 11, 2009
@www.website-geeks.com

i remember your asking for a review or am i wrong? You shouldn't go about converting this thing into a boring courtroom litigation.
Word on the street is you just got SERVED
take your medicine and clean up your act, if you wanted flattery you should have said FLATTERY NEEDED. capiche?

on the plus side, i like your originality, this is definitely not a template job. kudos. Good Work. cool
Re: Rate My Website Please by kolitos007: 12:25am On Jul 12, 2009
remoranger:

@www.website-geeks.com

i remember your asking for a review or am i wrong? You shouldn't go about converting this thing into a boring courtroom litigation.
Word on the street is you just got SERVED
take your medicine and clean up your act, if you wanted flattery you should have said FLATTERY NEEDED. capiche?

on the plus side, i like your originality, this is definitely not a template job. kudos. Good Work. cool

I have now made changes so as to make yawa-ti-de happy, now I wanna hear what he will say now
Re: Rate My Website Please by yawatide(f): 9:51am On Jul 12, 2009
1) I am a **she**, not he  wink

2) **Never** do anything in life to make anyone happy.  Code as you will but take note that there are good ways to code and bad ways and the former should never be misconstrued for "complicating things".  At the end of the day, you become a better coder for it.  I have worked in 6 places over a 10 year period (don't take this for bragging.  I am trying to make a point, hopefully), in addition to doing things on the side and I can tell you confidently that every single place operates the same way.  Since you are doing it for me and not you, there is no point in viewing it again.  Am I the only one who visits your site?

I have been on teams that developed games  and dabbled here and there in software engineering though I prefer to stick to the web as it is the only medium where I can actually show someone what I do (for free) without resorting to explanation.  A good programmer is one who is, as one of my uni profs said, "anal-retentive" and "paranoid delusional".  What that means is, if you step on your car brakes for instance, you want your car to stop.  No corners should be cut in the name of "simplicity" or "time-wasting".  If it requires 100 if-statements, so be it.  No offense but I am the type who draws conclusions based on certain observations.  I would hate to go that far, but if you choose not to do email validation, what else might you choose not to do?  Testing/reviewing a website involves testing certain basic functionality (sanity testing) before even testing the "koko". 

One thing your gaming company hopefully does is peer reviews.  If you don't do it, I recommend that you do.  It makes you a better person.  When I write what I write, it isn't to please me or to show off.  It is based on what I have seen/been through in my years of coding.  It is like an involuntary response in reaction to what I see.  Does it mean I am always right? Far from it.  Having said that, I think I know a thing or 2 about web dev and just as someone made me who I am in the game, I see it as my job to transfer same knowledge to someone else.  No vex o, if you don't like my posts.  That won't make me stop though  tongue

As 2 proverbs in my language say (loosely translated), "doing a good thing isn't bad" and "taking your time to do a good thing isn't a waste". 

Chew on that.
Re: Rate My Website Please by remoranger(m): 10:01am On Jul 12, 2009
well, well, well, what can i say, you have just been ENVANGELISED. undecided
Re: Rate My Website Please by kolitos007: 11:23am On Jul 12, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

1) I am a **she**, not he  wink

2) **Never** do anything in life to make anyone happy.  Code as you will but take note that there are good ways to code and bad ways and the former should never be misconstrued for "complicating things".  At the end of the day, you become a better coder for it.  I have worked in 6 places over a 10 year period (don't take this for bragging.  I am trying to make a point, hopefully), in addition to doing things on the side and I can tell you confidently that every single place operates the same way.  Since you are doing it for me and not you, there is no point in viewing it again.  Am I the only one who visits your site?

I have been on teams that developed games  and dabbled here and there in software engineering though I prefer to stick to the web as it is the only medium where I can actually show someone what I do (for free) without resorting to explanation.  A good programmer is one who is, as one of my uni profs said, "anal-retentive" and "paranoid delusional".  What that means is, if you step on your car brakes for instance, you want your car to stop.  No corners should be cut in the name of "simplicity" or "time-wasting".  If it requires 100 if-statements, so be it.  No offense but I am the type who draws conclusions based on certain observations.  I would hate to go that far, but if you choose not to do email validation, what else might you choose not to do?  Testing/reviewing a website involves testing certain basic functionality (sanity testing) before even testing the "koko". 

One thing your gaming company hopefully does is peer reviews.  If you don't do it, I recommend that you do.  It makes you a better person.  When I write what I write, it isn't to please me or to show off.  It is based on what I have seen/been through in my years of coding.  It is like an involuntary response in reaction to what I see.  Does it mean I am always right? Far from it.  Having said that, I think I know a thing or 2 about web dev and just as someone made me who I am in the game, I see it as my job to transfer same knowledge to someone else.  No vex o, if you don't like my posts.  That won't make me stop though  tongue

As 2 proverbs in my language say (loosely translated), "doing a good thing isn't bad" and "taking your time to do a good thing isn't a waste". 

Chew on that.

LOL, your rant just made me laugh, " I have worked in 6 places over a 10 year period", and so what!? And sorry if I referred to you as a man, and so that mean you have averaged about a year and half at every job, and you think that is bragging lol rofl lol. grin

I am reading this and I am laughing, well I have worked in only 2 places in 10 years , first when I left uni, and the second where I am the manager, you don't (OOPS! did I just brag about my self hahaha)

Lady, if I don't want to do form validation don't want to do it, nothing with bad coding just plain simple I can ask you to review websites I have done for companies and see forms if you want http://www.barnsley.towntalk.co.uk, as I did this for barnsley town centre, my point is that is for a client, you can review that and yet I expect your nagitivity but that is cool, I already know your kind grin
Re: Rate My Website Please by bug24(m): 11:34am On Jul 12, 2009
I wonder whats wrong with this kolitos guy,  whats this all about? Pardon me man,  i must say u r soooooo egocentric. or wateva that means,  i cant believe u came out here for peepz to review ur site for u and when they do, u hit realy back at em saying its ur way,  its ur style,  its ur thing,  what kinda thing is that?

if u were realy contented with what u designed, why bring it out here in the first place for reviews?

I bet u just came out here to make troubles of some sort,  and i dont actually believe YAWA of all ppl can be caught up in this ur act.

i mean,  the guy wants reviews yet he accuses ppl of pointing at something that doesnt work? then whats the point? and he says he's not mad at ur comments,  men !!! am confused,  i gotta lay ma head to rest,  my brain is realy heating up in anger.

Yawa,  pls stop posting on this thread.

av tried several times to read what he has in that thing circling to no avail,  yet its his design, his concept,  (maybe his plan is to make ppl not to be able to read whats there as well.)

There's one thing i know about websites and the developers

[size=28pt]"WHAT YOU CREATE AND PUT ON THE WEB IS NOT REALLY ABOUT YOU,  NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT,  IT'S ABOUT THE PEOPLE OUT THERE,  THE PEOPLE VIEWING IT."[/size]

You said this urself on the MY APPROACH link. , 1st paragraph.

I quote=

[size=18pt]"IF A GRAPHIC OR TEXT IS NOT HELPING TO SELL A WEB PRODUCT OR SERVICES, NOT ENTERTAINING OR CAPTIVATING THE TARGETED AUDIENCE, not delivering delivering the right message, IT DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE THERE"[/size]

if this is abt u, you could as well leave it offline on ur PC and peep at it every five minutes. and not on the web.

peace out broz, i mean no quarels here but u have to realy change the way you see things.

caio.
Re: Rate My Website Please by yawatide(f): 11:52am On Jul 12, 2009
Good talk bugs, though I fell for replying, on purpose. Sometimes, it is necessary to reply to such to make a point or to let others see where you are coming from  grin

kolitos:
Tis good to work 2 places in 10 years however, for me, staying in one place, IMHO, makes my ideas incestuous.  By moving around, I see things that I probably wouldn't have seen, learn new things based on others' ideas, etc.

When I mentioned my "travels", my point wasn't in the number of jobs but to stress the paragraph above this.  I have also had opportunities to be a manager  but I turned them down. Why? cos at least based on where I am, being a manager could make me stagnant in the sense that, if I were to move on, or worse, get fired/laid off, it is easier to find a job as a coder as opposed to as a manager.  At the end of the day, for me, it's about the money and adding to my skill set, not title.

Look at it this way, if I stumbled upon your site as a potential client and saw that you did certain things certain ways which I didn't like, do you think I will be thinking to myself, "oh yeah, he did it this way cos it is his personal site.  when he works on my site, it will be way better and different"?  You get my point?  You don't have a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.

By the way, I visited barnsley.  Cool site but your validation error messages are not lining up with the fields (in FF)  tongue
Re: Rate My Website Please by kolitos007: 12:12pm On Jul 12, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

Good talk bugs, though I fell for replying, on purpose. Sometimes, it is necessary to reply to such to make a point or to let others see where you are coming from grin

kolitos:
Tis good to work 2 places in 10 years however, for me, staying in one place, IMHO, makes my ideas incestuous. By moving around, I see things that I probably wouldn't have seen, learn new things based on others' ideas, etc.

When I mentioned my "travels", my point wasn't in the number of jobs but to stress the paragraph above this. I have also had opportunities to be a manager. Why? cos at least based on where I am, being a manager could make me stagnant in the sense that, if I were to move on, or worse, get fired/laid off, it is easier to find a job as a coder as opposed to as a manager. At the end of the day, for me, it's about the money and adding to my skill set, not title.

Look at it this way, if I stumbled upon your site as a potential client and saw that you did certain things certain ways which I didn't like, do you think I will be thinking to myself, "oh yeah, he did it this way cos it is his personal site. when he works on my site, it will be way better and different"? You get my point? You don't have a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.

By the way, I visited barnsley. Cool site but you r validation error messages are not lining up with the fields (in FF) tongue

Now for the first time you have made a valid point? and I would look into it thanks for that, with regards to bug24, what a load of rubbish, am sorry what does he understand about having ego, did he read my message lol. I was making my point why i did my form to you the way I did it, and besides it was not about the design, if you said anything about the design then I would look into it.

Making a valid criticism is more useful than just talking a lot of story (eg bug24) at least yawa-ti-de gives it has it his, of cus it will hurt my feelings its my work, I have to fight back, but she made her points clear why she said what she said and i respect that.

@bug24 no one is forcing you to comment on the forum, and you are pardoned lol, of cus I am content with what I designed thank you, but I have a right to defend my work too, in science when scientist come up theories they have to take it out with other scientist and prepare for attacks, but they will fight back on what they have done.

So if you read carefully smiley, you would see that I am letting yawa-ti-de know why I have done it that way, if you go on my site as a potential client, I expect you to look at my portfolio and all the clients that have contacted me have only looked at my portfolio of my WORK not my website.

Thank You.
Re: Rate My Website Please by bug24(m): 12:40pm On Jul 12, 2009
grin
(igbo)
dee o dika i ji nsogbu a gaghari. biko no nyere onwe gi.

(Yoruba)
egbon, mi o lagbara oro siso, e maa ba ara yin faa.

(English)
Bros, i wish you well.
Re: Rate My Website Please by yawatide(f): 12:43pm On Jul 12, 2009
I expect you to look at my portfolio and all the clients that have contacted me have only looked at my portfolio of my WORK not my website.

You can't force your expectations on clients.  What you expect and what they will do are 2 separate things.  They will see what they want to see.  Also, you can't say the above for a fact unless you provide statistics to back it up.  I am not saying you are lying, but that you can't and shouldn't make such a statement without facts.  Do you survey them to know this? When they call you, do they all say, "I found you online and I like your work (which could include your site as well.  I want you to do a site for me"? Do you know how many times they might have tried contacting you via say, your form, before they were able to get through?  Again, not questioning your business model, just asking.

Regardless, I expect that too.  I have done sites for people who so liked my portfolio, that they were willing to pay up front.  I was the one asking them to withhold payment till I was actually done.

Having said that, I still say it is no excuse not to give yourself/your clients the best.  As I tell kids (please don't misconstrue this statement either. I am not referring to you directly or otherwise), tis best to speak proper english early cos the way you speak (even to yourself) is most likely the way you will write (for yourself and others).  Always strive for quality, whether or not the site is for you.  That's all I am saying.  Also, please don't misconstrue my honesty and straightforwardness for negativity.  Tis only advice. You don't have to take it.  In the end as they say, time will tell.

By the way, form validation isn't all about mail injection.  It is also to ensure that potential clients don't mistakenly enter wrong data, which could possibly result in frustrated clients and your losing money (for example, I could make the mistake of entering "555-1i1-222a" as a phone number or "sdasdf.com".  If you don't validate and assume the person has N1m to spend, you just lost some cool cash, potentially  cool)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anyone Knows How I Can Code An Sms Api/gateway Into A Web Application? / Best Messenger App Made in Nigeria (better Than Whatsapp). / Google Adsense Accounts Available @affordable Price..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 292
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.