Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,710 members, 7,921,540 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 08:13 AM

Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President (1162 Views)

Diezani: Sanusi Wanted To Be Afdb President But Jonathan’s Men Frustrated Him / Dr. Adesina Sworn-In As Afdb President In Abidjan (photos) / Osinbajo In Abidjan For Swearing-In Of Adesina, As AFDB President (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by Orikinla(m): 3:33pm On Feb 22, 2016
Poverty for me is not theory: I lived in it and came out of it.

My father grew up as a farmer. Father got the opportunity of a lifetime from a benefactor who took him to Lagos and enrolled him in primary school at the age of 14 years.

I attended a village secondary school without electricity or plumbing. When the harvest was good, my classmates, the children of farmers, were in school. They dropped out when the harvest was poor or prices fell.

My father told me, “Son, you never know what God might make you in life. If you ever become an important person, remember the poor. Get poor farmers out of poverty.”

While my PhD in agricultural economics at Purdue University gave me the knowledge to work in agriculture, it is my father's words and my growing-up experience that made it my life ambition to use agriculture to lift millions out of poverty.

As Minister of Agriculture in Nigeria, my team and I helped initiate an agricultural transformation that impacted 14.5 million poor farmers. Today, as President of the African Development Bank, my passion remains the same. In treating agriculture as a business lies the future for the economic revival of Africa's rural communities.

- See more at: http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2016/02/agriculture-can-get-poor-farmers-out-of.html#sthash.vqGltTal.dpuf

1 Like

Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by StevenJay01(m): 3:46pm On Feb 22, 2016
God bless u sir
Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by Nobody: 3:47pm On Feb 22, 2016
Everybody sure does have a story but moral of this story is no guts no glory.
Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by simplycarro: 3:52pm On Feb 22, 2016
Look too ajebutterish to have come from the SW rural areas
Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by tpiar: 4:06pm On Feb 22, 2016
His name is classified information?

And yes, most of Africa can say the same, outside of places like Southern or Northern Africa, Kenya, etc.
Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by oduastates: 4:20pm On Feb 22, 2016
Ikoyi solutions to an Ajegunle problem
American solutions to a Nigerian problem.

This guy is seriously overrated.
Telephone for farmers. Phones farmers never saw.
Rice scam for politicians ,who got rice import licenses for farms , that produce invisible rice.

How about a tractor per village cooperative for our aging farmers , who are still bending down with cutlasses and hoes?
Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by okuneddie(m): 4:45pm On Feb 22, 2016
is this not the same man that did the rice scam....God dey watch u.....Meanwhile....

A teacher in lagos asked his students, 1+1= ?. A
student stood up and said 4. An igbo man
passing by overhead the response, he shook his
head and said: "This APC government will kill us
in this country. Everything has increased, dollar,
transport fare, fuel prices, foodstuff, beer,
...everything. Even 1+1 that used to be 2 has now
gone up to 4...

2 Likes

Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by tpiar: 4:48pm On Feb 22, 2016
Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by Orikinla(m): 7:28pm On Feb 22, 2016
oduastates:

Rice scam for politicians ,who got rice import licenses for farms , that produce invisible rice.

How about a tractor per village cooperative for our aging farmers , who are still bending down with cutlasses and hoes?

You really need to buy yourself a brain, because your ignorance is appalling.
[size=18pt]
eWallet has 15 million subscribers.

On the demand side, the key was making fertilizer and seeds affordable enough for smallholders to try. So we instituted a 50 percent subsidy, with the idea that farmers would fund more and more of their purchases over time. Subsidies are not new or radical, but we innovated by creating a new and radical delivery mechanism: the eWallet program. We knew that there were 130 or 140 million mobile phones in Nigeria, so phones seemed like the most efficient way to reach millions of farmers. As a side benefit, the eWallet program helped us make contact with farmers, which not only gave us more information about the population we meant to serve but also gave them a means to communicate back to us over time. Yes, eWallet was about delivering fertilizer and seed vouchers, but it was also about building a platform for interacting with millions of once-inaccessible smallholders in the future. Recently, we started using the eWallet platform to deliver other benefits, including vouchers for nutritional supplements.
Some critics said we were crazy for using mobile phones to try to transact business with people who could barely read or write. But we knew that they were already using their phones to arrange for remittances from relatives in the cities, which told us that they trusted mobile communication more than most government institutions. Our priority was to make sure that the mobile phone interface is translated into local languages. Now, eWallet has 15 million subscribers. I am especially proud of the fact that several million of those subscribers are women farmers, who have historically been neglected by agricultural programs.

The eWallet program helped with demand. If farmers were going to start purchasing fertilizer and seed in large numbers, though, we needed to make sure the fertilizer and seed was available, so it was critical to address the supply side, too. The problem was the lack of capital for agricultural start-ups; the solution we hit upon was easier credit. The ministry of agriculture collaborated with the Central Bank of Nigeria to create a new initiative to share risk with banks and encourage them to make more loans to agricultural businesses. With a little more assurance, banks have increased their lending to the agriculture sector from roughly 10 billion naira annually to in excess of 40 billion naira.

- See more at: http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2016/02/agriculture-can-get-poor-farmers-out-of.html#more[/size]

1 Like

Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by Donfamous(m): 7:31pm On Feb 22, 2016
what's his name,
Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by oduastates: 7:50pm On Feb 22, 2016
Orikinla:

You really need to buy yourself a brain, because your ignorance is appalling.
[size=18pt]
eWallet has 15 million subscribers.

On the demand side, the key was making fertilizer and seeds affordable enough for smallholders to try. So we instituted a 50 percent subsidy, with the idea that farmers would fund more and more of their purchases over time. Subsidies are not new or radical, but we innovated by creating a new and radical delivery mechanism: the eWallet program. We knew that there were 130 or 140 million mobile phones in Nigeria, so phones seemed like the most efficient way to reach millions of farmers. As a side benefit, the eWallet program helped us make contact with farmers, which not only gave us more information about the population we meant to serve but also gave them a means to communicate back to us over time. Yes, eWallet was about delivering fertilizer and seed vouchers, but it was also about building a platform for interacting with millions of once-inaccessible smallholders in the future. Recently, we started using the eWallet platform to deliver other benefits, including vouchers for nutritional supplements.
Some critics said we were crazy for using mobile phones to try to transact business with people who could barely read or write. But we knew that they were already using their phones to arrange for remittances from relatives in the cities, which told us that they trusted mobile communication more than most government institutions. Our priority was to make sure that the mobile phone interface is translated into local languages. Now, eWallet has 15 million subscribers. I am especially proud of the fact that several million of those subscribers are women farmers, who have historically been neglected by agricultural programs.

The eWallet program helped with demand. If farmers were going to start purchasing fertilizer and seed in large numbers, though, we needed to make sure the fertilizer and seed was available, so it was critical to address the supply side, too. The problem was the lack of capital for agricultural start-ups; the solution we hit upon was easier credit. The ministry of agriculture collaborated with the Central Bank of Nigeria to create a new initiative to share risk with banks and encourage them to make more loans to agricultural businesses. With a little more assurance, banks have increased their lending to the agriculture sector from roughly 10 billion naira annually to in excess of 40 billion naira.

- See more at: http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2016/02/agriculture-can-get-poor-farmers-out-of.html#more[/size]

Read again .
Learn to crawl before attempting to fly .
Ewallet ko epassport ni.
Your ewallet is only as good as the phone you used to type it.
You can achieve the same with a $70 Microsoft Access database rather than a multi billion naira platform .
Meanwhile,Nothing is filtering to the farmers on the ground and the hardest part of farm work remain the same.
Will your ewallet get the youths back to the farms to replace the aging farmers?
How many extension workers are included in your ewallet?
Go and speak with the farmers on the ground or start a farm .
It does not take rocket science , Preparing the land is the hardest and longest part of farm work . This is what kills the farmers. Farmers are ready to buy seedlings and pay premium price for fertilisers from their income .
The biggest cost to the farmers is the effort/ labour required.
The biggest impediment to getting people back to the farm is the extreme hard work required.
Why go chasing after lapalapa when na leprosy dey worry you .
Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by rozayx5(m): 8:18pm On Feb 22, 2016
oduastates:

so 10 months later, what are buhari agric policies?

he is overated to you cause you know nothing about devt than chanting sai buhari all over this forum

1 Like

Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by JuanDeDios: 8:29pm On Feb 22, 2016
oduastates:

Overrated isn't the word for Adeshina. He's the empty vessel which makes the most noise. Huge achievements on paper, nothing on ground. It's easy to fool Nigerians.
Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by oduastates: 8:40pm On Feb 22, 2016
rozayx5:

so 10 months later, what are buhari agric policies?

he is overated to you cause you know nothing about devt than chanting sai buhari all over this forum

I have little hope for smallholdings in the agricultural sector.
When they talk about farmers under the Nigerian agricultural policy , they mean the likes of dantata and obasanjo farm .
You can check how much those big elite get from the government annually
Audu Ogbe is a fossil. Maybe he can pull a rabbit out of a hot but I doubt .
Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by tpiar: 9:20pm On Feb 22, 2016
Probably the reason why the op posted the write up without adding any name, is because he wants us to be admiring the man's look, however if this is not a celebrity showbiz thread, that should not be the focus.

The content is of a more serious nature so plz be serious about it.
Re: Poverty For Me Is Not Theory: I Lived In It And Came Out Of It - Afdb President by Sibrah: 9:48pm On Feb 22, 2016
His train of thought will GEJ over anyday anytime.

(1) (Reply)

Why The Poor Should Pay Tax / Newspaper Headlines: Sunday 03 April, 2016 / Wike Approves Vocational Training For 200 Youths In Israel - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.