Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,724 members, 7,879,144 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 01:19 PM

No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? (20672 Views)

7 Most Employable Skills In Nigeria / Debate Of The Day: Self Employed Jobs Or White Collar Jobs? / Available Jobs Or Opportunities In The Farming And Agro Allied Industry. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by menxer: 8:59pm On Feb 24, 2016
adipemcanis1:

That question is relevant.

It shows that you pay attention to current affairs...which is a very important skill (if you will) for jobs in certain sectors like the Financial and Communications sector to use an example.

For instance....your company wants to invest in country A....and needs to know about the political situation in country A. A good employee with a knowledge of the political situation in that country would be able to give a fair idea of what is going on over there.

Don't laugh. Paying attention to current affairs is very very important.It shows you as being able to gather facts to make a decision.Good for the job, no?

Guy man leave matter for Mathias.

Generally speaking we all know Boko Haram is a problem in Borno, can you tell us the name of the chairman of the local government that was controlled by BH?

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by iykedare(m): 8:59pm On Feb 24, 2016
Horlawale1:
Even though most Nigerian graduates are unemployable as claim by HR's.
My question IS, those that are employable are they fully employed?? The answer is no

From my own experience, the answer is yes. I am a civil engineer by profession. I've had to advice lots of students in their third year in the university to learn skills, softwares that will make you employable. And most of them got jobs few months after school.

These things are so easy if you really want to learn them. Most Nigerians will rather buy phones and build empires on twitter and Instagram.

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Feb 24, 2016
I apologise on behalf of that "mere commissioner" for saying Nigerian graduates are unemployable. The truth is there is no job.
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Feb 24, 2016
kITATITA:
Judging from the quality of ideas one reads on Nairaland, the Nigerian graduate lacks the right attitude for the workplace. Companies that can afford it would normally spend huge amount of money retraining entry level graduates. At the end they still carry on as if they were doing the organisation a favour by accepting to perform the tasks they applied for in the first place.

Sure, right! That's cos they failed to select the truly, really few gifted out there.

They'd rather take on the ones recommended to them by some high fliers and miss out on the good ones. To this I say ntor to them companies.... until they begin to do things right and really get on board the talented young men n women who deserve the title of graduate trainees in quote then they'd continue to have such issues...

Another issue is the farce of job aptitude tests which eventually screens out the better candidates from the job recruitment process, let me also add: IMO and personal research a good number of people who scale through these funny job tests, always flop @the interview level, is it just me or this is outright practical

Anyway, just my clear observation oooo and personal view in my usual objective state.

All the best to the companies calling us unemployable cos really they've got no idea, none @all!!!

1 Like

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Toosure70: 9:20pm On Feb 24, 2016
job for PDP's sixteen years product?
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Feb 24, 2016
People that have jobs would always say that there are no employable graduates, but people without job would always say otherwise.

HOW TO KNOW THAT JOBS ARE NOT THERE:
* Employers these days do not need graduates again. They want people with experience or experienced graduates.

*Employers want job seekers to be parrots during interview to be employable. I tell you that the best man for the job is not yet employed.

*even employers that want to pay you 20k will still ask you if you have experience. Bussshhit!

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by ItuExchange(m): 9:32pm On Feb 24, 2016
Many graduates aren't employable. Then many people aren't honest.
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Feb 24, 2016
dazzle101:

Sure, right! That's cos they failed to select the truly, really few gifted out there.

They'd rather take on the ones recommended to them by some high fliers and miss out on the good ones. To this I say ntor to them companies.... until they begin to do things right and really get on board the talented young men n women who deserve the title of graduate trainees in quote then they'd continue to have such issues...

Another issue is the farce of job aptitude tests which eventually screens out the better candidates from the job recruitment process, let me also add: IMO and personal research a good number of people who scale through these funny job tests, always flop @the interview level, is it just me or this is outright practical

Anyway, just my clear observation oooo and personal view in my usual objective state.

All the best to the companies calling us unemployable cos really they've got no idea, none @all!!!
Brilliant submission. Recruitment process is time consuming and expensive these days; even when contracted out. Companies are replacing aptitude tests with skills tests. These days the question is not on paper qualifications alone. Companies ask how you can perform differently; it is what you can do. The problem starts in the schools where students focus on passing exams rather than acquiring knowledge; and then getting a job rather than building a career. BTW you don't sound unemployable.

1 Like

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Feb 24, 2016
MakeWeTalk:
Lets call a spade a spade.

There are jobs but....

The Jobs are reserved for the Northerners
That's the defeatist mentality of Nairaland graduate.
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by truetalknow: 9:45pm On Feb 24, 2016
NONSENSE, THERE ARE JOBS AND THERE ARE NO JOBS, OUR EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM IS SO POOR THAT GHANA IS FAR BETTER THAN US IN EVERY WAY. MOST GRADUATES CANT DEFEND ALL THE UPPER CLASS THEY CLAIM THEY HAVE GOT SO WTF. OYA MR MAN CONSTRUCT A GOOD LETTER, OUT OF 10 ONLY 1 CHAI, WHICH KIND SCHOOL DID WE ATTEND. COME ON NO EXCUSES, JUST DEVELOP THY SELF. FINISH

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by harsysky(m): 9:47pm On Feb 24, 2016
No light!!!
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by foriz4u(m): 9:48pm On Feb 24, 2016
mrprezident007:
Unemployment and quality of Education.
I have seen many graduates roam the streets looking for jobs. Conversely, some companies have also lamented that many Nigerian graduates are unemployable. Who is telling the truth, are there Jobs but no employable graduates or that there are not so many jobs out there?
have u ever ask any of those employers which university they attended? if all of them attended a university abroad then they're right in their iwn thinking. else, that have no good job to offer a Nigerian graduate simple !
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 24, 2016
adipemcanis1:

My opinion.

1.Most people go to university to graduate with degrees that would qualify them for office jobs....where they would shuffle papers without thinking for the rest of their working lives.Meanwhile...most companies want people who are ideas persons, problem solvers,etc. Not clerks.Of course...when some gent or lady turns up looking for job....and cannot show that he or she is an ideas man or woman.....

2.Our universities do not teach you how to be a problem solver. For instance...back in the 1980's...a car factory in the USA that was about to be closed because of high running costs....reached out to the local unviersity's department of economics to help them solve their cost problems. Students and lecturers joined hands to develop a plan to sort out the problem. Now...which Nigerian economics department can come and do the same for a Nigerian factory.(None of them).

3.Still on thinking. Our lecturers used to tell us that in order to pass their exams...you have to give them what they taught you in class.That is nice...but the problem is...when a student is doing the exams....he is not using his thinking mind to answer the question....just regurgitating the lecturer'snotes.Sigh....thinking gone.

4.Assignments. Most students when asked to do an assignment....just go and copy from textbooks and websites. No synthesizing of ideas from sources.

In brief....the problem is....our educations system does not teach students to think....they teach students to just regurgitate what the lecturer told them.May help in getting a first class from uni....but in the real world...where you have to formulate solutions....

5.Most Nigerian students think that learning is only in class. No. Learning is a continuum.

In summary
"La cram, La Pour, La Pass"

No time to waste

1 Like

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 24, 2016
Employers are just shying away from the real problem and trying to push the blame on the graduates. There are no jobs. Simple.

Nigerian Universities churn out a lot of graduates yearly and the system isn't efficient enough to absorb them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 24, 2016
kITATITA:

Brilliant submission. Recruitment process is time consuming and expensive these days; even when contracted out. Companies are replacing aptitude tests with skills tests. These days the question is not on paper qualifications alone. Companies ask how you can perform differently; it is what you can do. The problem starts in the schools where students focus on passing exams rather than acquiring knowledge; and then getting a job rather than building a career. BTW you don't sound unemployable.

Why, thanks lol @u don't sound unemployable....

If I might add, you seem to know so much about the Nigeria recruitment scene, you could pass for a recruiter yourself. Anyway, I also agree with your comment, it's just so funny the tertiary institutions are not doing so much to give better practical knowledge and the companies are also tryna shy away from it in the name of cutting costs, so who is to blame really? Me thinks, any serious young graduate desirous of being a success had better take it upon themselves to decide the career path they wish to tow n would greatly excel in and go ahead to take up short courses n trainings that could support them... but then most of these guys might not be privileged financial wise to undertake any of these and then back to the conclusion : to first get a job, before further steps at personal development could be made.

I have enjoyed mentioning you today, lol... grin grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by stephmike(m): 9:52pm On Feb 24, 2016
I do feel annoying extremely when I hear pple or HR saying unemployable graduate. there are limited jobs in naija. they should stop insulting us.

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Feb 24, 2016
There are jobs. Just no employable graduates. If you interview applicants, you will understand what am saying. The issue is not skill anymore. It is the simple ability to read, write and speak english fluently and the ability to do simple arithmetic. Most graduates simply cannot
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Anaskie(m): 9:59pm On Feb 24, 2016
Dahveydson:
It's not that there are no jobs, the problem is the jobs aren't enough.

Anytime I hear people say Nigerian Graduates are unemployable, I laugh at their level of intelligence that give them the basis to generalise.

These HR people schooled in Nigeria, searched for jobs, get one or two years experience and all of a sudden they say - Nigerian Graduates are unemployable - insulting the same system they came through.

Modified

The Hilarious part of this kind of thread is that people who are fully employed will be preaching entrepreneurship like one can start a business with sand.
Perfectly said. Wish I could give you a thousand likes
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by phazotron(m): 10:00pm On Feb 24, 2016
Nigerian graduates are unemployable iz a bloody excuse. any recruiter who says so should not be in the process of recruitment. number one evidence is asking for first class and 2-1. any recruiter with common sense will know that it is not by certificate but by real world competency. furthermore some interviewers tend to be very unrealistic in the criteria. most of them are looking for messiah like someone said earlier. i once went for a sales interview and the person said that i have to perform in less than three months or get fired. i was tempted to ask her if money grows on trees. ok @op and others who support "nigerian graduates are unemployable" why is it that after 3 months i am yet to receive my offer letter from a reputable bank after going through all stages of the recruitment process? rubbish.

4 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Feb 24, 2016
No jobs
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Raalsalghul: 10:01pm On Feb 24, 2016
kennysteve77:
Op, with my short experience of a decade during which I've worked in two different sectors and participated in recruitments, I can infer that there are more employable graduates than the available jobs. It is true that many employers are fond of saying that many graduates are unemployable, the truth they are shying away from is that they are not willing to invest in a system that works but are looking for a 'Messiah' graduate who will triple their turn-over within few months. If there is a good system in place in a company, an average Nigerian graduate will function effectively. Some Nigerian banks have good systems and that is why a graduate of Yoruba will fit in well at the foundational level while he rises the ladder. Most times, the class of degree doesn't reflect in effectiveness wherever there is a working system. Company owners should concentrate on building a proper system instead of waiting for an employable genius.
I agree with you, wholeheartedly.
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by phazotron(m): 10:02pm On Feb 24, 2016
nwanna89:
There are jobs. Just no employable graduates. If you interview applicants, you will understand what am saying. The issue is not skill anymore. It is the simple ability to read, write and speak english fluently and the ability to do simple arithmetic. Most graduates simply cannot

Nigerian graduates are unemployable iz a bloody excuse. any recruiter who says so should not be in the process of recruitment. number one evidence is asking for first class and 2-1. any recruiter with common sense will know that it is not by certificate but by real world competency. furthermore some interviewers tend to be very unrealistic in the criteria. most of them are looking for messiah like someone said earlier. i once went for a sales interview and the person said that i have to perform in less than three months or get fired. i was tempted to ask her if money grows on trees. ok @op and others who support "nigerian graduates are unemployable" why is it that after 3 months i am yet to receive my offer letter from a reputable bank after going through all stages of the recruitment process? rubbish. I'm sure ure one of those lucky graduates who was lucky enough to get a job probably through connections abd have not the slightest idea of what is happening in the real world. smh.

1 Like

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by karleone(m): 10:03pm On Feb 24, 2016
adipemcanis1:

My opinion.

2.Our universities do not teach you how to be a problem solver. For instance...back in the 1980's...a car factory in the USA that was about to be closed because of high running costs....reached out to the local university's department of economics to help them solve their cost problems. Students and lecturers joined hands to develop a plan to sort out the problem. Now... which Nigerian economics department can come and do the same for a Nigerian factory.(None of them).

@ Bolded, How many companies/factories have come to these Nigerian Economics departments to source for economics related assistance? None. So your point here is baseless.

1 Like

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Feb 24, 2016
Africanman123:

So that is why you are wasting your time here...people like you always deceive others, there are jobs out there.

Oga o, let's learn to start being honest to ourselves, there's a huge difference between being gainfully employed, being underemployed and having to put up with anything just to ditch the title "jobless". So there are jobs everywhere and Mr President had to use social welfare for unemployed youth as campaign agenda, and people bought it? Last time nairabet put up an advert for some position I can't even remember what they called and more than a thousand people showed up, for jobs you and I know doesn't even exist. So people left jobs that are everywhere to die in stampede at immigration recruitment sham 2yrs ago? I don't know where your narrative is coming from, but please tell me where are the jobs? Am an engineer, I need one, kindly prove to me that I'm unemployable. And that wouldn't be just me, I've got a lot of really good guys who are struggling with forced career changes, transitional jobs, and entrepreneurship they were never made for in a very unsupportive environment you'll have to prove to them there are jobs everywhere.
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Raalsalghul: 10:09pm On Feb 24, 2016
grandstar:

Many are unemployable. The quality lamentable. Its shocking.

I think its mostly these State Universities producing these poor quality graduates. Their written English leaves a lot to be desired
Your comment reeks of bias.
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Raalsalghul: 10:12pm On Feb 24, 2016
charix:
Every year this same topic. Yawn.
I'm sure the answer to this question has been posted since 2005 because from what I see, no government since democracy(1999) has faced this unemployment issue squarely with a solid means to end it.
Seconding that your yawn!
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by otokx(m): 10:12pm On Feb 24, 2016
The messenger at work says he is an ordained pastor but he did not come to work today because he claims a relation died, he was not at work on Monday by the way.

The other day some women did not come to work they were going for holy ghost night abi week.

Another supervisor employed when called by 1pm was out of work to attend old boys committee simply because his uncle is owner of business.

we cannot sow cassava to reap cocoyam, the Nigerian mentality is too bad and not helped by popular culture.

Few employable graduates is my answer, both private and public sector you see wonderful things that makes you wonder - just like that.

1 Like

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Raalsalghul: 10:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
Horlawale1:
Even though most Nigerian graduates are unemployable as claim by HR's.
My question IS, those that are employable are they fully employed?? The answer is no

Back to the questions, there are limited jobs needed by both employable and Un-employable graduates.
Also having in minds several HR relatives also in search of this limited jobs.
Finally, Nigerian educational sector needs to be revise. It is a pity that a mechanical engineering graduates have to call on a road side mechanic to check his/her cars.
A computer science graduates don't even have any idea about wat programming is in its real sense, while a botany graduate like me don't know wat it takes to make a lawn.
After all said and done, if a bread is half bake, is it the fault of the bread or the Baker??
GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Your comment is sincere. I like that.
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Feb 24, 2016
To lighten the atmosphere grin

1 Like

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 24, 2016
adipemcanis1:

My opinion.

1.Most people go to university to graduate with degrees that would qualify them for office jobs....where they would shuffle papers without thinking for the rest of their working lives.Meanwhile...most companies want people who are ideas persons, problem solvers,etc. Not clerks.Of course...when some gent or lady turns up looking for job....and cannot show that he or she is an ideas man or woman.....

2.Our universities do not teach you how to be a problem solver. For instance...back in the 1980's...a car factory in the USA that was about to be closed because of high running costs....reached out to the local unviersity's department of economics to help them solve their cost problems. Students and lecturers joined hands to develop a plan to sort out the problem. Now...which Nigerian economics department can come and do the same for a Nigerian factory.(None of them).

3.Still on thinking. Our lecturers used to tell us that in order to pass their exams...you have to give them what they taught you in class.That is nice...but the problem is...when a student is doing the exams....he is not using his thinking mind to answer the question....just regurgitating the lecturer'snotes.Sigh....thinking gone.

4.Assignments. Most students when asked to do an assignment....just go and copy from textbooks and websites. No synthesizing of ideas from sources.

In brief....the problem is....our educations system does not teach students to think....they teach students to just regurgitate what the lecturer told them.May help in getting a first class from uni....but in the real world...where you have to formulate solutions....

5.Most Nigerian students think that learning is only in class. No. Learning is a continuum.

Well said. please 1000 likes for this NL
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Sagamite(m): 10:27pm On Feb 24, 2016
adipemcanis1:

My opinion.

Well said.

Same thing I was saying.

https://www.nairaland.com/2764528/only-one-thinks-mrcork-not/7#41944865

We are producing cretins like Mixty.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business / World Health Organisation (WHO) Trainee Programme 2017 / Finally Got Job From One Of The Two Jobs I Rejected

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.