Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,898 members, 7,935,852 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 05:16 PM

Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! (1111 Views)

Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World / A New Nollywood; Is Nollywood Getting Any Better? / Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! by b0dnel: 11:49am On Jul 12, 2009
The cinema of Nigeria is a nascent film industry in Nigeria, growing up within the last two decades to become the second largest film industry on the planet, in terms of number of films produced per year. This is ahead of the United States and behind the Indian film industries.

According to Hala Gorani and Jeff Koinange formerly of CNN, Nigeria has a US$250 million movie industry, churning out some 200 videos for the home video market every month.

Nigerian cinema is Africa's largest movie industry in terms of the value of the movie industry and the number of movies produced per year. Although Nigerian films have been produced since the 1960s, the rise of affordable digital filming and editing technologies has stimulated the country's video film industry. The Nigerian video feature film industry is sometimes colloquially known as Nollywood, a term of uncertain origin, having been derived as a play on Hollywood in the same manner as Bollywood.

Read the entiire article here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nollywood
Re: Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! by omar22(m): 11:26am On Jul 17, 2009
The cinema of Nigeria is a nascent film industry in Nigeria, growing up within the last two decades to become the second largest film industry on the planet,

This is the biggest load of CLAP-TRAP I have ever heard!!!

May be home videos but not Cinema movies, its OK to churn out 200 crap films in a month (Thats a film every 3.5hrs)
Re: Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! by soloqy: 1:38pm On Jul 17, 2009
well said @omar

That they are prolific in producing movies does not put them in the class of Hollywood nor Bollywood nor even the british and french movie industry.

@poster, you are referencing wikipedia. Wikipedia is user generated content so i can go there one morning and add that soloqy is a super hero that saves the world, and sure as heaven, you will get to read it one day.
Re: Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! by iniguy(m): 6:47pm On Jul 18, 2009
In terms of quantity yes, quality No!
Re: Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! by davidif: 11:39pm On Jul 18, 2009
This is the biggest load of CLAP-TRAP I have ever heard!!!

May be home videos but not Cinema movies, its OK to churn out 200 crap films in a month (Thats a film every 3.5hrs)

Thank you o jare jo.
Re: Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! by Sevn(m): 5:31pm On Jul 30, 2009
Nigerians,
Give Nollywood a break!!!!

we go make am one day, hahaha
Re: Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! by dominique(f): 8:50pm On Jul 30, 2009
Sevn:

Nigerians,
Give Nollywood a break!!!!

we go make am one day, hahaha

yeah we will, but not by believing lies concocted by wikipedia (of all sources). by the way, is it not the same wiki that said that Obafemi martins is Obafemi Awolowo's grandson? i really dont know where they got their "facts" from. and if you're clueless enough to believe them. . . clap for yourself
IMO if you want to grade movies, lets look at quality of the movie, critics review and fan base. sadly we fall short an all categories.
Re: Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! by mamag3: 12:50am On Jul 31, 2009
Source pls
Re: Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! by Phony200(m): 7:25pm On Aug 01, 2009
Dumb ass actors and actresses, poor sound quality, poor direction and screenplay, dumb titles, tongue tongue tongue I give up. If you believe this crap, you should get a MRI and CAT scan
Re: Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! by TheSeeker(m): 11:39am On Aug 02, 2009
"I have a dream, a song to sing, to help me cope with anything.
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale . . . . .
" Keep dreaming!
Re: Nollywood Is Now "second" In The World! by Godmother(f): 6:02pm On Aug 19, 2009
If this is true, I wonder what the world is turning into then

(1) (Reply)

10 Reasons Cgi Is Getting Worst Not Better / Do Avatar Exist? / Need Help Downloading Some Classic Nollywood Movies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.