Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,127 members, 7,880,524 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 08:07 PM

12 Misused English Words - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 12 Misused English Words (579 Views)

English Words Commonly Misspelled By Nigerians, Even In 2018 / Yoruba Names That Look Like English Words / 25 English Words That Hilariously Mean Something Else In Other Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

12 Misused English Words by frankwells(f): 11:58am On Feb 27, 2016
1. Alcohol does not make you high but drunk.
Drugs make you high while alcohol makes you drunk , therefore, it is wrong to say you are high when you take alcohol

2. Still yet can't be together, therefore it is wrong to say "I apologized to him still yet he refused to forgive. It ought to be " I asked for forgiveness yet he didn't forgive me" or I asked for forgiveness still he didn't forgive me

3. Extreme end can't go together, you have to use them separately. E.g I went to the extreme end of the mountain, it ought to be "I went to the extreme of the mountain" or I went to the end of the road
Continue:http://www.jagabanng.com/2016/02/12-misused-english-words.html
Re: 12 Misused English Words by xpac01(m): 12:23pm On Feb 27, 2016
Brother extreme ends can go together, make your research well.
Re: 12 Misused English Words by oglalasioux(m): 12:41pm On Feb 27, 2016
We should know the difference between written and spoken English. Book peddlers will give you over a thousand corrections but when you are with people whose primary language is English you hear them using same 'mistakes' in their everyday speech.

Trying to be more catholic than the pope.

(1) (Reply)

Getting A Decent Cream Has Become As Scarce As Fuel. Why? / No Boyfriend.. No Problem / Beware, MTN Trying To Scame Me (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.