Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,305 members, 7,910,589 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 12:35 PM

Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? (6740 Views)

Poll: Is It A Waste Of Time?

Yes: 13% (12 votes)
no: 86% (77 votes)
This poll has ended

Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) / Checkout This Homework Given To A 5-Year-Old Pupil (Photo) / When Teacher Forgets And You Want To Remind Him Of Homework (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by lekside44(m): 7:33pm On Jul 13, 2009
This is an article i saw on page 45 of the PUNCH newspaper published on friday 24th of April, 2009.it reads:

"some  teachers in Liverpool during association  of teachers and lecturer conferences claims that homework is a waste of their own time and the children's time.they said it is a a time that could be used for more profitable on effective learning both in and out of the classroom."

My own view of this is that in Nigeria, most homework given to children are puzzles meant for the parents since thy help their ward in solving the question without many students actually grabbing the problem in question. nairalanders, what are your own views?
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 14, 2009
//
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by chyket(m): 1:31pm On Jul 14, 2009
i dont think its a waste of time but rather an opportunity for parents to help their children understand their studies better.Because the classroom environment is such a a charged and very competitive atomosphere,some children may find it difficult to understand things properly and fast enough.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by nwajohn(m): 1:45pm On Jul 14, 2009
in support of chaircover and[b] chyket [/b] Its not a waste of time.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by Nezan(m): 2:01pm On Jul 14, 2009
nwajohn:

in support of chaircover and[b] chyket [/b] Its not a waste of time.
It is becoming increasingly difficult to have time going through children's workbooks. The veracity of this statement is therefore doubted.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by drossy(m): 2:10pm On Jul 14, 2009
medically, at that stage of brain development, the brain retains over 90 percent of its information by repetition, so I'm shocked teachers want to do away with home work!!
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by Profkenny1(m): 2:13pm On Jul 14, 2009
homework has never been and can never be a waste of time cos it's a way of testing the student's understanding of the work being done in school or keeping the student busy by giving him/her work that is yet to be covered.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by loyeruope: 2:33pm On Jul 14, 2009
I am shocked this is even a question for debate.
Homework? Waste of time??
The BEST advice I was ever given was: Do your homework.

I have applied it beyond primary school. Doing my homework has helped me made success of my life and career. I learnt it at an impressionable age, thankfully.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by khamil(f): 3:04pm On Jul 14, 2009
It is most definitely not a waste of time; it gives kids an oppurtunity to practice what they learnt in class and give the parent the oppurtunity to see what progress the child is making in school work.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by Iranoladun(f): 3:16pm On Jul 14, 2009
I support chaircover's view.

I would like to add that homework also give parents opportunity to check out the standard of teaching in their children school; the kind of homework the teacher gives your child may reveal how good the teacher is in his/her profesion.

This may be the only constant/daily opprotunity you'd have as parent to check out the school standard; method of teaching, type of example or teaching aids used, relationship between lesson and school curriculum/legislated curricula. In addition to how well your child is learning.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by Maryam: 3:32pm On Jul 14, 2009
It's not a waste of time rather it keeps the children busy.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by olelle: 3:51pm On Jul 14, 2009
Homework keeps children from watching too much television shows and computer games. TV and computer games shorten their concentration spans for school work.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by chic2pimp(m): 4:17pm On Jul 14, 2009
definitely not a waste of time but in nigeria una too dey over do am. can someone tell how having 3 or 4 good. abeg 1 or 2 is ok but 4 c'mon. the thing na se if una no complete am dey go beat u wicked teachers
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by jumie(f): 4:20pm On Jul 14, 2009
I believe homework is a way of refreshing the memory of the child on what the child has learnt at school.

It also gives parents an idea on what the child has been taught and on how well the child understands what he or she is taught.

I support homework and lots of it too, to keep the child busy and far from unnecessay TV's and games.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by spicy007(f): 5:21pm On Jul 14, 2009
no, its not a waste of time. they are at an impressionable and highly distracting phase in their lives, so revisiting their school work goes a long way to help them remember things
its also a time for bonding with their parents.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by MUZBO(m): 5:41pm On Jul 14, 2009
If homework is a waste of time then where did I get my groove from?
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by sexyLeamon(f): 6:46pm On Jul 14, 2009
No, homework isn't a waste of time. It's key to reinforcing valuable concepts that you pick up in coursework. kids especially need to d things over and over before they know it so home is a good pratice for them
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by lekside44(m): 6:47pm On Jul 14, 2009
but here in nigeria, we find out that it is the parents that actually solve the question and not the student itself. the student does not really unstand the subject matter. take for instant, a parent once came to me to give an answer to a qualitative appitute test meant for a pry 2 student. me that can solve any question in mathematics at school cert. level had to think for more than an hour to get some of the solutions to the problem. i told myself that wa o, !, of what use is these exercises to the childrens learning? this applies to many verbal apitude and quantitaive apitude. in many cases, i just tell them the answer. i know that if i explain, its a mere waste of time because the task are more difficult than their understandings.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by Remii(m): 7:34pm On Jul 14, 2009
Lekside44, I agree with you, your view had actually been raised in PTA meeting in my children's school, some of the questions are more or less assessment of parents' or guardians. However it is not a waste of time but need to be a test for the child alone. My own contribution at the meeting was that parents should not solve the problems or go on the internet for the kids, if they went back to the school with their own effort solutions alone the school would be able to measure their understanding.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by davidif: 8:11pm On Jul 14, 2009
Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children?

[size=18pt]OH GOODNESS ME!!!!! [/size] shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

I can't believe that somebody can even say this with a straight face!!! Unbelievable, how could homework not be necessary for primary school students? Children learn by repitition. If there is one thing about learning, it is that, it is one thing to learn something in class, it is another to be able to do it on your own, geez, this is common sense people, just because some oyinbo teachers (who are in the extreme minority in the academic community ) think it is useless does not mean that we should adopt there views. By the way, this teachers are lazy.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by Goldpeas(m): 8:35pm On Jul 14, 2009
Gosh! Dis question iz gettn on my nerves.ITS NOT & CAN NEVER BE A WASTE OF TIME.insead it keeps the child busy and it also give d teacher access to know the students' IQ.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by Goldpeas(m): 8:35pm On Jul 14, 2009
Gosh! Dis question iz gettn on my nerves.ITS NOT & CAN NEVER BE A WASTE OF TIME.insead it keeps the child busy and it also give d teacher access to know the students' IQ.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by oge4real(f): 8:44pm On Jul 14, 2009
Is a compusory for us to respond to every question?
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by Goldpeas(m): 8:46pm On Jul 14, 2009
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by Goldpeas(m): 8:47pm On Jul 14, 2009
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 14, 2009
No it is not
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by oge4real(f): 9:02pm On Jul 14, 2009
see! I couldnt even type correctly because of the prepostrous question. how do some people think!
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by ifyalways(f): 9:17pm On Jul 14, 2009
lekside44:

This is an article i saw on page 45 of the PUNCH newspaper published on friday 24th of April, 2009.it reads:

"some teachers in Liverpool during association of teachers and lecturer conferences claims that homework is a waste of their own time and the children's time.they said it is a a time that could be used for more profitable on effective learning both in and out of the classroom."

My own view of this is that in Nigeria, most homework given to children are puzzles meant for the parents since thy help their ward in solving the question without many students actually grabbing the problem in question. nairalanders, what are your own views?
I think the purpose of homework which is to :
chaircover:

I don’t think homework is a waste of time.

• It teaches the child discipline to work without someone breathing down their neck in the classroom.

• It gives the kid an opportunity to realise that work doesn’t only have to be done in school

• It gives the parent & child an opportunity to bond; the child asks questions and the parents answer/discuss homework and are able to talk about other things relating to school.

• It helps give the parents an idea on how well or not the child is doing at school and to offer help if the child needs it

• It takes the kid away from watching too much TV in the evening

• Yes - sometimes some home work is even challenging for parents to work out the answers but that can only be a good thing as it is enhances parents knowledge. One can learn new things an any time of their lives

has been defeated in most cases in Nigeria.
Reasons(esp in govt owned schools):
Teachers dont teach in school,they wud rather load the students with assignments and homework of Topics they have never heard of/treated in class.
Students most times don't do the homework,they look for an erderly person to help them do it,or copy the answers/solve the problems from their textbook.
Sometimes,students are loaded with lots of homework u wud begin to wonder if they do anything at all in school.How do u justify a child coming back from sch. with like 7 homeworks for 7 diff. subjects?
Not all parents even have time to go through the kids homework.mad rush for money.
The teachers sometimes "might" not even look at the homework the next day.It wont stop them from assigning a new one the next day too.
Dont know abt Nig. Private schools though.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by bawomolo(m): 9:19pm On Jul 14, 2009
they aren't a waste of time. they just need to changed rather than regurgitating old stuff.

homework keep kids active.
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by Akuviv: 9:26pm On Jul 14, 2009
The problem with a lot of Nigerians is that they swallow hook,line and sinker all the white man says. I believe we ought to be contextual in our day to day life. Haba ! Home work fa! How can anyone say it is a waste of time?
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by akigbemaru: 9:30pm On Jul 14, 2009
Homework is not a waste of time period!
Re: Is Homework A Waste Of Time For Primary School Children? by damola1: 10:16pm On Jul 14, 2009
Not subject to discussion.

A larger picture.

As adults, even after work, if we do not do our homework to either be better at our present jobs or future dreams, we will be nowhere.

In fact, homework is more important than school work.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Pears Baby Lotion Is Good For All Skin Types / 10 Strange Places On Earth That Scientists Have Struggled To Understand / ASUU-there Is No NEC Meeting on friday!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.