Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,864 members, 7,872,868 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:04 AM

Rain, Pavement, Memories- A Very Short Story - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Rain, Pavement, Memories- A Very Short Story (796 Views)

Memories Of Childhood... / Moments And Memories, A Poem / A Very Short Silly Love Poem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rain, Pavement, Memories- A Very Short Story by jgberg: 5:05am On Jul 14, 2009
He was driving. Driving and trying to figure out what it all meant. A year ago he almost died on this road. Well, almost two years ago now.

It was raining just as it was the night of the accident. She is awfully fickle sometimes. They had met just a few months before the accident. A love with many wrong turns you could say. But it was a love.

Sometimes they were like two people as one. A unit. Training for the future I guess. They could never cook in the same kitchen, they were both too strong headed. But life was a great adventure. When she was happy, he was happy. But the bad times were as bad as the good were good. After the accident she left him; she had been running around for some time.

He felt the tires grip the pavement as he rode the brake down the hill. The water made the road slippery, and if he went to fast he was sure to hit the same damn tree that almost killed him two years earlier. He held his foot against the brake, shaking slightly. His head was racing in a panic. Shes gone again, he was sure.

Then he lifted his foot. He pushed the accelerator. Forget the past. Forget her. All that matters is the future. He watched the tree as he passed the spot where his body once laid, broken and bloody. He looked straight ahead now, eyes set forward. The tree rustled in the breeze from the truck, but he kept driving. Forget the tree. Forget that road. He hit the accelerator and left the tree, and her, behind
Re: Rain, Pavement, Memories- A Very Short Story by breathing(f): 8:25pm On Jul 15, 2009
the story was alarmingly short, and i think the world would be a better place if all writers learnt to say so much i so little words. one reason i adore art, literature, is that it has the freedom to mean various things to various people. the story made a lot of sense to me because recently i have been thinking of superstition, luck, fate, and all, and to me, this short story just said something about it.
Re: Rain, Pavement, Memories- A Very Short Story by kay9(m): 8:07am On Jul 17, 2009
@jgberg: Could you write something longer? I like your style. smiley
Re: Rain, Pavement, Memories- A Very Short Story by jgberg: 5:02pm On Jul 17, 2009
It makes me very happy that you enjoy what I wrote. I have been writing a few of these very short stories, only a couple of paragraphs. This one is the strongest of them, at least in my mind. They have similar veins of thought though, so maybe they can be fused together into a larger series. I am also thinking about writing something longer; If and when I do, I will post it. Again, thank you for reading what I wrote. It is therapeutic to know someone else has actually read what I wrote, much less enjoyed it (ha ha). Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

A Poem Relating An Account Of The January 17 Crises Of Jos / Sad Little Emo Kid / Glims From Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.