Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,960 members, 7,873,086 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:56 AM

Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost (1583 Views)

Aliko Dangote And Segun Awolowo Pictured In The Billionaire Private Jet / Ayiri Emami Flies In A Private Jet To Visit Tinubu And Lai Mohammed. Photos / List Of Private Jet Owners In Nigeria (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by Triton1996(m): 11:53am On Feb 29, 2016
http://www.saharaweeklyng.com/private-jet-owners-grieve-over-maintenance-cost-turn-expensive-toys-to-commercial-use-all-the-millions-splashed-on-maintenance/

Turn expensive toys to commercial use
+ All the millions splashed on maintenance

This is definitely not the best of seasons for wealthy Nigerians who are owners of the expensive toys called private jets. We reliably gathered that private jet owners in Nigeria are currently groaning under the pain of exchange rate which has placed the naira on 316 against a dollar.

It would be recalled that as at 2015, reports confirmed that the 250 private jet owners in Nigeria splashed an average of N34.9 billion (the calculation then was an average of N166 against a dollar ) to maintain their expensive toys. Information available to Sahara Weekly revealed that due to the splurge in naira which placed it at N310 against a dollar, they would spend about N65.3 billion. Checks by us revealed that aside splashing over N1.8 trillion to acquire their jets, they spend an estimated $46million monthly (that’s about N7.6 billion altogether) as salary to their expatriate pilots, but now that a dollar is equal to N310, they would cough out about N14.2 billion. They splashed about $1 million monthly to the crew, which was equivalent to N166 million then but now N310 million, while a whopping N25 billion is splashed on general maintenance annually by them.

Two expatriates usually man these toys and their take-home monthly is $10,000 (which was equivalent to N1.6 million last year but is now N3.1m). That means an average of 500 pilots are in charge of the wheel of these jets. Thus, monthly, the 250 jet owners squander over N750 million, and that equals N9 billion annually.

Also, an average of three cabin crew members are usually on board, and their monthly take-home is averagely N100,000. Thus, an average of 750 crew members are on the payroll of these wealthy Nigerians and they splash an average of N75 million and their monthly salary and N900 million annually.

Furthermore, an estimated N100 million is expended on each jet annually for maintenance at home and abroad. This includes daily landing and parking fees at home and abroad, A and B checks, mostly in the USA, several millions on jet fuel, among others. Consequently, the naira issue has a negative effect on the jet owners and many are not finding it easy to maintain them under the present economic situation.

Nigerians who have taken the front seat in the business of private jet ownership, which is now a trend and competition among the rich in the country, are not finding it easy under the current administration as some of them have converted them to commercial purposes.

Industry sources revealed that most of them are battling with financial challenges, which necessitated them being converted to commercial purposes. In fact, we reliably gathered that some of them, like Bishop Oyedepo, have sold some of their spare jets. Out of the four jets he has, we learnt, he sold out three.

It was reported that the penchant for private jet acquisition has cost wealthy Nigerians over N1.8 trillion aside the several billions used to maintain them annually. Investigation The luxury trend actually rose by 700 per cent between 2007 and 2014 and this increased the rate of private jet acquisition from 20 in 2007 to over 250 in 2014, placing Nigeria and China as the fastest growing private jet markets in the world.

Aircraft manufacturers like Bombardier, Gulf Stream, Embraer, Hawker Siddley and Challenger have made Nigeria their huge market because of the demand for these aircraft types.

The common brands of private jets in Nigeria are Hawker Siddley 125-800 and 900XP, Gulfstream 450, 550 and 650; Bombardier Challenger 604, 605; Global Express; Embraer Legacy and Falcons.

1 Share

Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by LordAdam: 12:08pm On Feb 29, 2016
If they can't maintain the jets, they should sell the jets.

Even in the US, in 2008 when the financial crisis started, people were putting up jets for sale left and right.

There's a financial crunch now, the wise ones will save cost rather than complain.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by NobleAngell(f): 12:08pm On Feb 29, 2016
Oyedepo be like,"what? Tori olohun. U mean my own is going to be 4X that amount? These ppl want 2 use me to make money. I better sell off these 3."
Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by fistonati(m): 12:31pm On Feb 29, 2016
Many of the owners acquired the Jet's with public fund's, now they must maintain it via their pocket's. For those that bought it with churches money, the masses are suffering. In Angelina's voice, that's their real face ooooo

1 Like

Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by ibnzubair(m): 12:40pm On Feb 29, 2016
I would have commented but I don't have private jet
Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by theV0ice: 12:40pm On Feb 29, 2016
NobleAngell:
Oyedepo be like,"what? Tori olohun. U mean my own is going to be 4X that amount? These ppl want 2 use me to make money. I better sell off these 3."

For where??

As long as miracle and breakthrough seekers are still alive, his income stream will always be replenished. Na the offering, seed and tithe givers go suffer the crunch

Nothing like church business.

Alleluia somborry!!

2 Likes

Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by NobleAngell(f): 12:46pm On Feb 29, 2016
theV0ice:

Foe where??

As long as miracle and breakthrough seekers are still alive, his income stream will always be replenished. Na the offering, seed and tithe givers go suffer the crunch

Alleluia somborry!!

Hey dats my daddy G.O.
Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by theV0ice: 12:54pm On Feb 29, 2016
NobleAngell:
Hey dats my daddy G.O.

So make I no talk true again?? shocked

Father......pls deliver your shidrens
Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 29, 2016
NobleAngell:
Hey dats my daddy G.O.
And?
Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 29, 2016
NobleAngell:

Story! Story!! ............Story!!!

Once upon a time!!..... Time!!! Time!!!!

grin
Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by fistonati(m): 1:55pm On Feb 29, 2016
You have said it poignantly, incisive, objectively and boldly. Its only when we all say the Truth is when we can have Peace of mind.

God bless your knowledge.
theV0ice:

For where??

Alleluia somborry!!

Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by theV0ice: 2:05pm On Feb 29, 2016
fistonati:
You have said it poignantly, incisive, objectively and boldly. Its only when we all say the Truth is when we can have Peace of mind.

God bless your knowledge.

God bless you too wink
Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by NobleAngell(f): 2:28pm On Feb 29, 2016
theV0ice:

So make I no talk true again?? shocked

Father......pls deliver your shidrens
Hahaha. Amens.
Re: Private Jet Owners Grieve Over Maintenance Cost by NobleAngell(f): 2:29pm On Feb 29, 2016
Alejhandro:

Story! Story!! ............Story!!!

Once upon a time!!..... Time!!! Time!!!!

grin
Hahaha. Go on, we're listening.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Rivers Rerun: PDP Wins APC In Wike’s Unit / Fulanis, Agatu Resolve Crisis, To Play Peaceful Football / Herdsmen On Rampage: Can Ground Pepper Help?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.