Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,119 members, 7,880,481 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 07:09 PM

Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? (11610 Views)

It Is Better Not To Be Employed Than To Be In A Wrong Place / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st / Fg Should Also Have A Registration Programme For The Under-employed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Biafrarep(m): 10:44am On Mar 02, 2016
fikkybaby:
ofcourse one doesn't need to be told dat being self employed is d best thing,i av been there b4 so i knw wat it feels like,when i was working my take home was bellow 70k nd i spent 1k on transportation,bt nw dat i av my own business in agriculture,i save nothing less than 100k everymonth,wit lesser stress,nd ds is a business dats jst two yrs old,jst imagine wat it wil look lik 10yrs yo come,soo self business is d key wit God.
What sort of agric business is that bro? I'm thinking about diversifying into plantain plantation or any other good agric venture on my parcel of land. It seems like poultry is high risk & labour intensive compared to crops like plantain or banana??
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by modik(m): 10:56am On Mar 02, 2016
cocoduck:
English na wa, you don't leak oranges, they are eaten, by the way, it is lick not leak.

Ignore typo.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by nwosu1988: 11:22am On Mar 02, 2016
This is the only good thing you have done since, nice move because u can't be bigger than your boss go and build yours may God help you.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Chuksyno(m): 11:26am On Mar 02, 2016
Self-employed goes with capital that makes it's advantage to outweigh that of under-employed otherwise tell how you can equate a low capital road side bread seller to a bank manager.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by fyneboi79(m): 12:24pm On Mar 02, 2016
DarryOsh:

in the most simple terms, underemployment means that you are willing and capable of being more productive that you are.

Imagine that you are a highly skilled astronaut in Nigeria. Unfortunately, you are skilled in a field in which you cannot feasibly practice your profession without help from government, established bodies etc. What do you do? You buy a taxi and become a taxi driver. This is serious underemployment. And, yes, this is an extreme example.

There are many simple examples that we can relate with in Nigeria Ask a lot of those guys you see selling stuff in traffic, they have one skill or the other which would have made them a lot more productive in an ideal world. And some of them have been selling in traffic for years. You may want to introduce your 'they are lazy' argument at this point.

Few years back we heard about how PhD holders scrambled for Dangote's truck driver jobs. They would drive trucks for dangote and after some years, the truck would become theirs.i.e. they would become self employed as truck drivers/owners. But do you know how much it costs to train to and become a PhD holder? Do you know how much more productive a PhD holder can be? They should be teaching leaders of tomorrow, conducting research in labs innovating and advancing the cause of humanity.

If, as you say, the only reason why this is so is because 'they are lazy', then it must mean that laziness is peculiar to Nigerians. Otherwise, you may want to point out an economically advance country where PhD holders are employed as truck drivers.
You are going in circles. You obviously don't get my point.
I meant the only way you can be under employed in self employment is if u lack the will to give all u have got. Simple.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by fyneboi79(m): 12:28pm On Mar 02, 2016
akanbiaa:
In these period of frustration due to the economy problems if anyone feels he can carry gun around knocking he should know there are people ready to either eat him raw or die together, death means nothing to many people these days, and there is consequence for every action.

What is your point?
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Mar 02, 2016
jashar:
Please, what's the term used for working for so little pay? Is that one 'under-empoyment' too?

Cuz I think that's the category most people fall into.

It should be 'underpaid' this time around.

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by jashar(f): 12:47pm On Mar 02, 2016
E360dg:

It should be 'underpaid' this time around.

Ehen, ok.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by DarryOsh(m): 1:15pm On Mar 02, 2016
fyneboi79:
You are going in circles. You obviously don't get my point.
I meant the only way you can be under employed in self employment is if u lack the will to give all u have got. Simple.

All I have got is to conduct research in laboratories and teach in institutions but I cant find institutions that will employ me and I have to means to conduct my research because I have no money to set up my laboratories and there is no grant from the government blah blah blah....

How does that translate to going in circles?
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by spencekat(m): 2:09pm On Mar 02, 2016
Self employed all the way

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by H2Ossss(m): 11:40pm On Mar 02, 2016
oluseyiforjesus:
There's nothing as good as wake up in d morning eat breakfast ( not with rush) enter ur car n drive to your OWN place of work. If you want to be wealth be self employed

thats y most ppl fail in business, u need to know that to run a very succesful business u spend more time working than ppl with normal jobs... ask 1 of dangote's (cant remember her name) y she left him and married a then governor... he was too busy she hardly saw him.

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by fyneboi79(m): 12:12am On Mar 03, 2016
H2Ossss:

thats y most ppl fail in business, u need to know that to run a very succesful business u spend more time working than ppl with normal jobs... ask 1 of dangote's (cant remember her name) y she left him and married a then governor... he was too busy she hardly saw him.
Very true. Being self employed you put in so much work cos u are the A-Z of the bizness. But most certainly u reap all too.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by akanbiaa(m): 7:06am On Mar 03, 2016
fyneboi79:
What is your point?
It was before people dread armed robbers now condition have made people to dare armed robbers and so robbery is no option for the most frustrated unemployed.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by fyneboi79(m): 12:24am On Mar 06, 2016
akanbiaa:
It was before people dread armed robbers now condition have made people to dare armed robbers and so robbery is no option for the most frustrated unemployed.
still don't get u .
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by akanbiaa(m): 6:18am On Mar 06, 2016
fyneboi79:
still don't get u .
In summary society/condition had made most people fearless of even death
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by fyneboi79(m): 6:30am On Mar 06, 2016
akanbiaa:
In summary society/condition had made most people fearless of even death
Roger that grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Signs Of A Good Workplace / How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It / Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC Plc) Job Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.