Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,872 members, 7,876,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:46 PM

Hay Look, One Of The Spectator Sports I Was Advocating For Nigeria Is In Mali - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Hay Look, One Of The Spectator Sports I Was Advocating For Nigeria Is In Mali (824 Views)

From Grass To Grace: N'golo Kante, Was A Ice-water Seller In Mali, But Today / African Women’s Cup Of Nations: Nigeria Vs Mali 6 - 0 (Full Time) / Nigeria Vs Mali : International Friendly 1 - 0 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hay Look, One Of The Spectator Sports I Was Advocating For Nigeria Is In Mali by Litmus: 10:25am On Mar 02, 2016
In addition to the motor racing grand prix, horse racing in stadiums where people can go to bet as well as be entertain was one of the things i thought we needed in many states in Nigeria. Providing employment is not the only tool at a government's disposal to create cohesion and passivity in society. Life is not only about terrorism, Nomadic herdsmen of uncertain origins, cultists, IPOB and militancy. Government needs encourage or start the process of providing mass leisure activities and ceremonies that create a sense of belonging and hope. We need to reform and invest in football leagues, athletics, swimming, canoeing, gymnastics, boxing, we need monuments for heroes both military and civilian, we need national days to honor men that lost their lives for Nigeria. We need reconciliations among tribes, need to heal the wounds of the civil war, we need so many of what, for want of a better term, i will call soft socioeconomic policies. Why arn't our mascaraeds and traditional dances used for huge national festivals ........

In pictures: Sunday morning at the Bamako Hippodrome

When you think of the world of horse racing, Ascot, the Melbourne Cup or the lucrative Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe may come to mind. The hippodrome in Mali's capital Bamako, may not see million-dollar prizes but it's still a thriving tradition every Sunday.

Each Sunday the races begin with last week's winner parading around the hippodrome with the winner's flag

There are usually three or four races each Sunday and many of the jockeys are children

The jockeys compete for up to $100 (£74) in winnings

An adult ticket to the races costs 500 CFA francs for adults ($0.83; £0.60). Children pay depending on their size. A small child pays 100 francs, taller children pay 200 francs

The winner holds onto his flag for another week and gets his winnings of up to $100. That's 100,000 times less than the richest race in the world - Dubai's $10m prize

This doesn't bother the victorius trainer. in the blue shirt, who appears pretty happy with his win

Why the long face? Because he lost again
Re: Hay Look, One Of The Spectator Sports I Was Advocating For Nigeria Is In Mali by Litmus: 10:43am On Mar 02, 2016
When i googled 'horse racing in Nigeria', i got this one below. Warriors showing how to attack and kill. Nigeria, Nigeria grin

Anyway, it is still entertainment of great national and international significance and part of what I'm advocating for more of Nationally.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Bet9ja Promocode {help} / This Nigerian Footballer Victor Emenayo Is Claiming He Is Just 23 Years Old -pix / Only A Nigerian Premier League Team Can Do This (see)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.