Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,789 members, 7,882,749 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 01:16 PM

$20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn (26930 Views)

Cheques Can Now Be Paid Into Savings Accounts – CBN / No Deposit For New Accounts: CBN Gives Approval / 20bn Idle In Nigerians’ Domiciliary Accounts –CBN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by erico2k2(m): 6:17pm On Mar 06, 2016
janco:
I always wonder why Government will nose itself "long throat" into people's private accounts.

It would be foolish to assume that the $20Billion in few private accounts is illegal, because some genuine businesses can generate such inflow.

The only foolishness I see here is that because forex is now a topical issue, suddenly CBN is awake. let the government generate its own forex and stop nosing into private accounts of genuine depositors.

There is a regulation that states that once your account is above certain sum, the anti money laundering unit is intimated.
so let them allow sleeping good dogs lie
I don't see anywhere in the post where it says they were illegal money though.The bank accounts have names to them so nothing like stolen money.meanwhile I agree with your first paragraph.Govt should take their nose off private bank accounts.

1 Like

Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by erico2k2(m): 6:20pm On Mar 06, 2016
rusher14:

Perhaps you don’t understand my post.

The government has 27 billion dollars in relation to 20 billion dollars sitting in private domiciliary accounts in Nigerian banks.

Government is actually thinking of ways of getting these individuals to "invest" this money one way or the other within the local economy.
Do you actually reasoned before you wrote what you did up there? Keeping money in the bank to yield interest or to wait until its value goes up is a business on its own right don't you know that? the money in the bank is an investment on its onw as its a leverage to take loans and mortgages round the world.It serves as a gaurantee and a form of forex reserved, teh type Nigeria now craves for.
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by rusher14: 7:31pm On Mar 06, 2016
erico2k2:

Do you actually reasoned before you wrote what you did up there? Keeping money in the bank to yield interest or to wait until its value goes up is a business on its own right don't you know that? the money in the bank is an investment on its onw as its a leverage to take loans and mortgages round the world.It serves as a gaurantee and a form of forex reserved, teh type Nigeria now craves for.

Please I would advise you to refrain from using foul or insulting language when contributing in a forum.

For your information, I receive some forex in my domiciliary account which just idles away without interest.

I for one would love to invest it in anything meaningful if the environment were right and the possibility sound.

Of course the government is aware of such possibilities, and would if reasonable, be looking to get her own citizens and internal account holders to invest in the local economy.

If your own citizens are reluctant can you expect foreign investors?

Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by erico2k2(m): 7:53pm On Mar 06, 2016
rusher14:

Please I would advise you to refrain from using foul or insulting language when contributing in a forum.

For your information, I receive some forex in my domiciliary account which just idles away without interest.

I for one would love to invest it in anything meaningful if the environment were right and the possibility sound.

Of course the government is aware of such possibilities, and would if reasonable, be looking to get her own citizens and internal account holders to invest in the local economy.

If your own citizens are reluctant can you expect foreign investors?

Plz point me to where foul or insulting language was used in my quote?
You claimed you received some forex in ur Dom account, can I ask of waht use is Forex in ur Dom to you in Nigeria if you intend to invest in Nigeria?
I'm going by ur statement.
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by rusher14: 8:02pm On Mar 06, 2016
erico2k2:

Plz point me to where foul or insulting language was used in my quote?
You claimed you received some forex in ur Dom account, can I ask of waht use is Forex in ur Dom to you in Nigeria if you intend to invest in Nigeria?
I'm going by ur statement.

That's how I get paid for services I render.

Now, having this forex does little for me other than rise as the Naira plummets.

Being a concerned citizen, I would rather have a situation where that money can be used locally to build up local capacity in any form. Of course such a venture must be profitable itself.

Like any salary account for instance, does little for the account holder other than safe keeping. If that money isn't invested to yield some returns the only profiteers would be the banks.
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by erico2k2(m): 8:26pm On Mar 06, 2016
rusher14:

That's how I get paid for services I render.

Now, having this forex does little for me other than rise as the Naira plummets.

Being a concerned citizen, I would rather have a situation where that money can be used locally to build up local capacity in any form. Of course such a venture must be profitable itself.

Like any salary account for instance, does little for the account holder other than safe keeping. If that money isn't invested to yield some returns the only profiteers would be the banks.
you just answered my question
According to your 2nd line,Forex does nothing to yo as a Nigerian living in Nigeria
But for me as a nigerian living in Diaspora it does a lot.I transfer my savings into my Dom account in Nigeria so however and when ever i deem fit to come to Nigeria, I can withdraw the forex at competitive rates more so ** I'm doing it at my own time*Why would a sane govt tell me how and when I need to use my MONEY

1 Like

Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by rusher14: 8:33pm On Mar 06, 2016
erico2k2:

you just answered my question
According to your 2nd line,Forex does nothing to yo as a Nigerian living in Nigeria
But for me as a nigerian living in Diaspora it does a lot.I transfer my savings into my Dom account in Nigeria so however and when ever i deem fit to come to Nigeria, I can withdraw the forex at competitive rates more so ** I'm doing it at my own time*Why would a sane govt tell me how and when I need to use my MONEY

I think this is a storm in a teacup.

Nobody has told anyone what to do with their funds.

In the papers in the modern world all manner of statistics are churned out daily.

An observation has been made by the CBN.

Obviously, any wise thinking government would, especially in this particular case, think if I have 27 Billion dollars in my coffers and my citizens have 20 billion dollars at the same time, and we are in dire straits, how can I get them to invest in the system? full stop.

Nobody has made any statement asking anyone to forfeit his/her funds.

In fact, any reasonable government would look to see how they can get you to bring in even more Forex.

I don't understand why or how this is a problem.
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by erico2k2(m): 9:40pm On Mar 06, 2016
rusher14:

I think this is a storm in a teacup.

Nobody has told anyone what to do with their funds.

In the papers in the modern world all manner of statistics are churned out daily.

An observation has been made by the CBN.

Obviously, any wise thinking government would, especially in this particular case, think if I have 27 Billion dollars in my coffers and my citizens have 20 billion dollars at the same time, and we are in dire straits, how can I get them to invest in the system? full stop.

Nobody has made any statement asking anyone to forfeit his/her funds.

In fact, any reasonable government would look to see how they can get you to bring in even more Forex.

I don't understand why or how this is a problem.
This is what they said
Central Bank Governor Mr. Godwin Emefiele gave a shocking disclosure on Thursday about the massive dollar treasure in Nigerian banks, as the country goes cap in hand begging for foreign loan.

According to him, over $20 billion is sitting pretty in domiciliary accounts of private individuals at a time when the country is facing foreign exchange crisis and is chasing foreign loans, when its citizens could offer the loan.

The Nigerian Govt and its CBN are very predictable.Anyone who is economicaly inclined would quickly realize people are holding and waiting, if these statics where correct tehn I may very well be amongst the people he is talking about.Now my question toe Mr CBN would be,why should I loan you my hard earned Forex I earned in the UK saved in Nigeria? what incentives is there for me?
Now the loan in question is not in forex but local currency to prop up the economy.So to this statement do you think the amount of forex in the banks is greater than the amount of Naira in teh banks?.
Regards ur expectations of the govt to convince its citizens to invest in Nigeria, of what encouragement has the govt put on ground? what incentives? what tax breaks? what policies?Go to UAE, you can set up biz and exempt tax for years, even in china.I wanted to export Coal from Nigeria to the Uk you need to see waht I was told at the customs office, bunch of looserrs

2 Likes

Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by erico2k2(m): 9:53pm On Mar 06, 2016
menxer:

The bolded makes sense to me, as domiciliary account don't get paid interest (or does it?). any business transactions it is supposed to pay for would have been finalized within that period else it's kept for speculation or out of fear which drives the vicious cycle we are in.
How about if I plan to save forex for 10 years?
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by erico2k2(m): 9:58pm On Mar 06, 2016
lozanni:
Blaming these Nigerians with the $20 billion domicilliary accounts is counter-productive as this can cause them to move those funds to foreign banks like countless Nigerians in business, the academia and politics who own many foreign accounts.
The Government should work to achieve long term stability in the exchange rate between the naira and other convertible currencies so that these Nigerians can have the full confidence to keep their earnings in naira.
The Government can borrow the $20 billon in the domicilliary accounts through issuance of dollar denominated treasury bills, with income far above the current rate earned by domicilliary accounts in Nigeria, wnhich will be guaranteed by major banking groups, like the Paris group of bankers, to guarantee the safety and viability of funds to the owners of the domicilliary accounts.
Commandeering the funds, like Argentina did, will have serious long term negative consequences on the economy because the human memory is very long and the Super-rich will not forget this in a hurry as many of them are still lamenting the effect SAP under IBB had on their assets and naira account balances, hence the decision by many of them to hold domicilliary accounts till the present day.
Now this is an adult talking

1 Like

Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by erico2k2(m): 9:59pm On Mar 06, 2016
bigass123:
He was in China on vacation

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by lozanni(m): 10:09pm On Mar 06, 2016
erico2k2:

Now this is an adult talking

Thanks for the compliment.
I think our technocrats in Government have to put on their thinking caps, and sometimes think outside the box in order to come up with solutions to national challenges we are facing or might encounter.
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by lozanni(m): 10:49pm On Mar 06, 2016
teemy:

Could you please talk more on the argentina thing and SAP actions. Thanks

teemy:

Could you please talk more on the argentina thing and SAP actions. Thanks

Around year 2001 in Argentina, the minister of the economy issued a directive that owners of dollar denominated domicilliary accounts could not withdraw money from them, except they convert them to pesos (the local currency) at the official ruling rate. This was a forced, though indirect, conversion of the dollar domicilliary accounts to pesos accounts blogs.premiumtimesng.com/making-meaning-of-the-fx-markets-by-uddin-ifeanyi/.
Also the SAP, structural adjustment Program was imposed by the IMF and World Bank, in the 1980s' , on countries that wanted to borrow money from them.
The SAP involved turning of the country involved economy to a market based one with liberalisation of imports and deregulation among other policy measures.
The deregulation of the exchange rate of the Naira to other foreign currencies led to a fall in the value of the Naira as, for example the Naira had an exchange rate of $1 to N1 before the deregulation, but after the deregulation it fell to $1 to N 4
The above scenerio meant there was a loss in the value of most naira denominated accounts and with the economy of the country being an import dependent one, the harsh economic effect on the citizens was so intense.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by menxer: 11:55pm On Mar 06, 2016
erico2k2:

How about if I plan to save forex for 10 years?

You need a forex savings account which i bet a domiciliary account is not.
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by erico2k2(m): 1:04am On Mar 07, 2016
menxer:

You need a forex savings account which i bet a domiciliary account is not.
I use the word *Saving* but not meant as in savings account.
let me rephrase it,
how about if I want to deposit forex in my Dom account for up to 10 yrs
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by teemy(m): 1:36am On Mar 07, 2016
thanks lozanni for the education. i at least understand why so the argentina policy but why would because of IMF SAP a country would borrow funds to pay back at a cost four times when it was borrowed. some policies just beat my reasoning silly.
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by menxer: 7:42am On Mar 07, 2016
erico2k2:

I use the word *Saving* but not meant as in savings account.
let me rephrase it,
how about if I want to deposit forex in my Dom account for up to 10 yrs

On second thought and after doing a little research I realized you sure could, which in the end is a catch 22 for our economy.
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by erico2k2(m): 6:23pm On Apr 01, 2016
rusher14:

Seun, why would the government want to restrict the inflow of cash from abroad?

In fact, isn't that what they are attempting to encourage?

The only thing I gained from this expose is that the government is concerned that such idle money isn't being put to use locally and wonder how they might encourage this.
Saving money is serious business.
Physical cash has loads of power.
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by erico2k2(m): 6:32pm On Apr 01, 2016
menxer:

On second thought and after doing a little research I realized you sure could, which in the end is a catch 22 for our economy.
Bravo we gt there at last lol
Re: $20billion Dollars Idle In Few Individual's Domiciliary Accounts-cbn by 989900: 8:48am On May 07, 2016
The CBN is about to make a move on those dollars anyways anytime soon.

It is dangerous to let banks keep that much amount of money.

If you have your dollars in there, it's time to use your mind now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Richest People In Africa / Susan Elumelu's 90th Birthday Party: Tony Elumelu's Mother Marks Birthday (Photo / Naira Falls To All-time Low Of 527 Naira To A Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.