Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,935 members, 7,935,964 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 08:06 PM

Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. (8447 Views)

Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit / Baba Suwe Vs NDLEA: N25m Judgment Appeal Hearing On April 28 / Is Alao-akala And Other Pdp Candiadtes In Oyo State Disqualified? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 6:26pm On Jul 16, 2009
What is the population of Ibadan?
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by trustboy: 6:42pm On Jul 16, 2009
Its only in a country like nigeria that a retard like Akala can become a Governor. A dismissed police officer who bleaches his skins and wear very long chains like those touts one sees often at oshodi. When is election as Governor was announced, the first word to come out of his mouth was 'ODOBE'
Yoruba word for saying the soup is cooked.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Redman44(m): 6:43pm On Jul 16, 2009
@Kobojunkie

I'm not a Politician but I know the government has some responsibility in providing public facilities. This is what obtains in most parts of the world. I think I have provided enough points to back up my claims. Fine, you might not like Akala's idea of building Public toilets. I'm not also saying the guy is intelligent or scoring high in other areas of achievement. However, we need to look at the money Akala met in the state coffers when he became governor and the internally generated revenue of Oyo State. Oyo State has been practically ruined before the man came in. To me, only two men developed Oyo State. The late sage, Obafemi Awolowo and Late chief Bola Ige. Sorry for mentioning your name. Accept my apologies. Cheers.

@ Others

I'm not saying Governbor Alao Akala is one of the best Governors in Nigeria. He is lagging behind Fashola, Amaechi and about 10 others. However, from January 2009, Akala started working towards changing the face of Oyo State. Fashola's achievements in Lagos continues to  move  other Governors into action. Akala might have started with toilets but I know he has other plans. He is currently working on sanitising the city itself.  I think we should all dwell on the role we Nigerians play in the underdevelopment of our country. Recently, many Principals of Federal Government Colleges in the country were accused of embezzling funds meant for constructing facilities in their schools It is in Nigeria that Old Student Associations in our High schools will release money for projects only for the school authorities to embezzle the money and constuct pitiable projects undecided undecided

Let us take a cue from Michael Jackson's song- MAN IN THE MIRROR. Let us take a good look at ourselves in the mirror and ask ourselves this question: Am I better than the man I'm painting in a bad light?  embarassed embarassed  Our Governors have Commisioners, Local Government Chairman and Councillors who have become a law unto themselves. They receive money for their constituencies but they use the cash for their personal ends. Nigeria is on life support because many people who are in positions of responsibility are behaving like vultures and vampires when it comes to disbursing funds. A classic example of this behaviour took place when I was serving in Ondo State. During the three weeks orientation program, I was part of a Platoon in camp. There were about 100 members in my Platoon. We had to contribute money for some camp activities we took part in. To cut the story short, the Platoon leader and two other Platoon executives embezzled our common funds. They inflated prices and had to be forced to pay back the stolen funds by the NYSC officials and Camp commandant. Yet, these were mere corpers. These were future leaders of the country already disgracing themselves while serving their country. About 3 other platoons in camp had the same problem cry cry cry

I hope Akala will go on to to other projects besides toilets. You can also advice him by writing open letters on the toilet issue to Nigerian dailies. Oyo State also has a website.  Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by mustafar1: 6:43pm On Jul 16, 2009
its not too much abeg grin grin. they would be like the ones at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas that buff, fan, and etc etc ur butt while doing the number 1 or 2. heck he can spend more than that rather than using it for family weddings,
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 6:50pm On Jul 16, 2009
must_a_far:

its not too much abeg grin grin. they would be like the ones at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas that buff, fan, and etc etc ur butt while doing the number 1 or 2. heck he can spend more than that rather than using it for family weddings,

i am sure the unemployment rate in Ibadan is over 50% and that of Las Vegas is not even 11%
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by freezy(m): 6:55pm On Jul 16, 2009
Redman.

Abeg forget the man in the mirror here.

Akala is a useless rogue simple and short. If you stay in Ibadan, you'd see how useless the town has become. gaping holes at the centre of major roads. . .  no repairs. Nothing works. The only reason stuff's cheap in that town 's b'cos of the villages surrounding it. He deserves to be hanged. . . that useless, good for nothing, God forsaken persona. angry angry

And yes, I am a hundred times better than he is!! cheesy
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by AloyEmeka9: 6:57pm On Jul 16, 2009
freezy:

5M for a single public rest room? Haba. . .! I'll keep my peace till the prototype is seen. I know people in Ibadan that built respectable bungalows (3 bedrooms, 3 toilets and bath) with just about 3.5M in Ibadan. Like I said earlier, I'm holding my peace till we see what its gonna look like.
What do they need a prototype for. Just find appropriate locations and install 100 mobile toilets with that money. Prototype for a toilet that has never been built before?. Is there something am not getting here?
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Kobojunkie: 6:57pm On Jul 16, 2009
 @Kobojunkie

I'm not a Politician but I know the government has some responsibility in providing public facilities. This is what obtains in most parts of the world. I think I have provided enough points to back up my claims. Fine, you might not like Akala's idea of building Public toilets. I'm not also saying the guy is intelligent or scoring high in other areas of achievement. The late sage, Obafemi Awolowo and Late chief Bola Ige. Sorry for mentioning your name. Accept my apologies. Cheers.

Dude, why do you keep AVOIDING the questions asked in order that you might claim you have made points where I see none still.

a) Why is the government, in this case, Akala’s government in the business of building public toilets? Is it that people do not have toilets in their homes and demand the government build them public facilities instead?
b) Is it that businesses demand government handle the handling of and processing of public waste?
c) Is it that the government wants to provide PARK or STADIUM public with these facilities? Where exactly do these fit into what government ought to be doing for us.
d) If a PROTOTYPE will cost this much, how much will the REAL deal cost? Will the PROTOTYPES be functional? Will the toilets actually FLUSH? Will the sinks have running water?

I am not sure I would consider building of public toilets right after Building and maintaining roads, providing quality healthcare, ensuring and maintaining educational facilities on the list of responsibilities government ought to handle. How do you explain this being added to the list? Is it that in Nigeria, government ought to build and maintain public toilets or something? Explain please.

Why is it that every single person out there seems to come up with this line when asked of how much the government has done so far.

However, we need to look at the money Akala met in the state coffers when he became governor and the internally generated revenue of Oyo State. Oyo State has been practically ruined before the man came in. To me, only two men developed Oyo State.

Is it just me or is that not the same reason given by those who argue that Oshiomole, Obi etc are doing the best they can with what they have??

Roflmao!!!
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by mustafar1: 6:59pm On Jul 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

i am sure the unemployment rate in Ibadan is over 50% and that of Las Vegas is not even 11%

hope u didnt take my comment as me being in support of Akala. shocked cos if u did, i go vex no be small. grin
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 7:01pm On Jul 16, 2009
must_a_far:

hope u didnt take my comment as me being in support of Akala. shocked cos if u did, i go vex no be small. grin

I could look blond, but aint blond, so i understand you jare, i am just too pissed
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by mustafar1: 7:04pm On Jul 16, 2009
no worry jare bros femi(i hope thats ur real name) i feel ur pain. it becomes worse when awon boiz defend this bullmanure with their verbal HIV. i refuse to be infected so i wear protection when i listen grin hope u do too?

because akala meet empty treasury, that means to say all the money wey FG don allocate to him state after that must not be spent wisely. when would we stop using this "the amount of money he met in the state coffers . . ." baldadash to defend all their inactivity. b4 u get into office/contest for office u must have figured out how u intend to fund the projects/development which u propose u would embark upon when u get elected.

ki ni omo kekere mi mo. second base jare. . . .
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 7:07pm On Jul 16, 2009
must_a_far:

because akala meet empty treasury, that means to say all the money wey FG don allocate to him state after that must not be spent wisely. when would we stop using this "the amount of money he met in the state coffers" baldadash to defend all their inactivity. b4 u get into office/contest for office u must have figured out ow u intend to fund the projects/development which u propose u would embark upon when u get elected.

I will like a situation where the FG will have a check and balance attitude, show us what u have done with allocations.
Justify your allocations and not just keep giving money and tell me they used them to salaries
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by mustafar1: 7:11pm On Jul 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I will like a situation where the FG will have a check and balance attitude, show us what u have done with allocations.
Justify your allocations and not just keep giving money and tell me they used them to salaries

nothing wrong in spending ur allocation on salary. cos if u know u spend ur allocation on salary then thats where plan B becomes plan A.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 7:21pm On Jul 16, 2009
must_a_far:

nothing wrong in spending ur allocation on salary. cos if u know u spend ur allocation on salary then thats where plan B becomes plan A.

Nothing wrong, but when all your allocation is going on salaries, then, there are too many ghost workers, cos you need to invest in infrastructures and invest in the people of your state
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Redman44(m): 7:31pm On Jul 16, 2009
@ Kobojunkie

I am not avoiding any question on this thread. I have answered your questions. Please read between the lines. Governments all over the world build and maintain public infrastructure. They do these through the local councils. I have had the privilege of working with many foreigners including Brits, Irish people, Americans and Germans. When I was growing up, my father had many friends from Syria, Lebanon and Switzerland. I don't want to burnish my credentials online. I grew up in a very exposed environment. I won't talk about countries I've been to. In Britain, people have toilets in their homes but the governments still built Public toilets around and also in the Parks. These Toilets are maintained by the councils who are like the Local Governments in Nigeria. The councils have a Works and Maintenance Department that maintain the facilities.

It is obvious that people can be pressed to answer the call of nature when they are not in their homes. The Western Governments know this and they provided the needed toilets. Are you telling me there are no public toilets in places in the Western world apart from Stadiums and Event centres? If you read my earlier posts well, I factored the construction of a borehole along with the Public Tolilets. The borehole will provide the water needed for flushing the toilets. Read my posts again. You have a right not to like Governor Akala's construction of Public toilets but I know they're a neccessity. I know a better governor will come and take his place in the near future.  I don't know much about Akala's past but a better man with ideas of how to generate internal revenue in Oyo State will emerge soon.

The British left us with some values that we have discarded. While I was at UNIBADAN, I observed that the faclities on campus looked similar to those of the University of London. Till now, the facilities of UI are still being maintained in a British manner though some of the infrastructure has dilapidated. There are a lot of things for me to say, but I'l leave it for another day. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 7:35pm On Jul 16, 2009
Redman
I feel you, but the question is this.
Is that the most important thing in a state where people can be thirsty at any time and have to buy "unpure water' and get sick?
is that the best investment where the state is so dirty and people are dying of diseases?
is that a good investment when people need health care?
Common, let us invest wisely and then come to shitters
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by freezy(m): 7:40pm On Jul 16, 2009
Redman44:

@ Kobojunkie

The British left us with some values that we have discarded. While I was at UNIBADAN, I observed that the faclities on campus looked similar to those of the University of London. Till now, the facilities of UI are still being maintained in a British manner though some of the infrastructure has dilapidated. There are a lot of things for me to say, but I'l leave it for another day. Cheers.

When was this? I was in UI in 2005 for a post graduate degree and the facilities were an eyesore. They were being maintained in a very Nigerian (pardon me, but its true!) manner!

All thru my 18 months, I never used the school's rest rooms once! It was that bad. meanawhilla, Check Buck'ham u'll see a clear difference.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Redman44(m): 7:58pm On Jul 16, 2009
@Fhemmmy,

It is obvious that Alao Akala is not an intellectual and he's not too intelligent. Oyo state needs to move away from the Amala politics of Adedibu now that he is dead. By now, Ibadan should be one of the best cities in West Africa. If Ibadan's public Infrastructure is upgraded and maintained, it is going to be a wonderful city. Oyo state needs an action governor like Fashola of Lagos State. Ibadan is too valuable to be neglected. Under Lam Adeshina, nothing was done to improve the state infrastructurally. Rasheed Ladoja had too many enemies to confront and he did not have the time to work on taking the state to another level. The Problem with Oyo State is that the politicians there are still using archaic and outdated political techniques. I have ties to Ibadan as a city. We need a young and dynamic governor that will turn the fortunes of the state around. I have some Yoruba blood in me and I am distantly related to Chief Obafemi Awolowo who had a grand vision for Oyo State had he become the President of Nigeria. Oyo state has a website and Nairalanders can get across to the Oyo State Government through the site or write articles in the Newspapers condemning the toilets. The Tribune will gladly publish those articles and letters. Cheers all.

1 Like

Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Jul 16, 2009
Ok!!! The next person that tells me to read between the lines is so going to get a wack of my titanium baseball bat on the back of the head!!! grin

Roflmao!!

How many times do I have to say this, I am not here to READ minds or make unnecessary assumptions??

@ Kobojunkie

I am not avoiding any question on this thread. I have answered your questions. Please read between the lines. Governments all over the world build and maintain public infrastructure. They do these through the local councils. I have had the privilege of working with many foreigners including Brits, Irish people, Americans and Germans. When I was growing up, my father had many friends from Syria, Lebanon and Switzerland. I don't want to burnish my credentials online. I grew up in a very exposed environment. I won't talk about countries I've been to. In Britain, people have toilets in their homes but the governments still built Public toilets around and also in the Parks. These Toilets are maintained by the councils who are like the Local Governments in Nigeria. The councils have a Works and Maintenance Department that maintain the facilities.

Dude, are you saying in Britain, there are many public toilets managed by government all along the streets or are they IN parks, or IN government managed facilities( note in this case the government has the TOILETS IN the FACILITIES and NOT THAT THE FACILITIES ARE THE TOILETS THEMSELVES).

Please read and answer my questions and maybe you will understand how and why I still maintain that you have yet to answer them.

It is obvious that people can be pressed to answer the call of nature when they are not in their homes. The Western Governments know this and they provided the needed toilets. Are you telling me there are no public toilets in places in the Western world apart from Stadiums and Event centres?

Which western world is my question here? I know of rest areas for travelers and public toilets at parks, stadiums and the lot but I do not know of STAND ALONE PUBLIC TOILETS maintained by Government.

If you read my earlier posts well, I factored the construction of a borehole along with the Public Tolilets. The borehole will provide the water needed for flushing the toilets. Read my posts again. You have a right not to like Governor Akala's construction of Public toilets but I know they're a neccessity. I know a better governor will come and take his place in the near future. I don't know much about Akala's past but a better man with ideas of how to generate internal revenue in Oyo State will emerge soon.

Factoring all that does not, I repeat, does not explain why a PROTOTYPE public toilet would cost $40,000. Dude, you do know what a prototype is, right?

That has nothing to do with this. The fact is I am still not sure a government should be in the business of building STANDALONE public toilets for people. People around the world also answer the call of nature. Unless people of Oyo suffer from constant diarrhea or weak bladder issues, I am not sure why the governor should want to build standalone toilets for them. I mean what is the point of this? Is the state fighting faeces/urine stink issues or something?
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 8:08pm On Jul 16, 2009
@ Redman.

i am so sure that the 5M naira is not real, i am sure, Akala will pocket like 2M each
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by freezy(m): 8:11pm On Jul 16, 2009
Gbam! Spot on!
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by sley4life(m): 8:13pm On Jul 16, 2009
na gold person wan shit?
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Redman44(m): 8:13pm On Jul 16, 2009
Some people are better left to their opinions. It is a free world.

@Freezy

Did you really explore the UI Campus?  This is because I visited my Alma Mater in 2007. Did you go to the Faculty of the Social sciences? Did you walk through the Faculty of Law to Phillipson Road? Professor Bamiro is the new Vice Chancellor of UI and the guy is really working hard to improve things on campus. Did you visit the reading rooms of Zik Hall? Bamiro has transformed the reading rooms of the Undergraduate Halls in UI, mate. Did you live out of Campus or on Campus? Facilities might not be tip- tap in UI but they are not bad as you paint them. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by aishaah(f): 8:31pm On Jul 16, 2009
i hate dat bleaching fool with passion,doe tongue :Psnt he has an advicer,why build public toilets for 25m,after \all wat he knws hw 2 do best is partying n going to ogbomosho every wekend for shayo.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by AloyEmeka9: 8:32pm On Jul 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

@ Redman.

i am so sure that the 5M naira is not real, i am sure, Akala will pocket like 2M each
Did you say 2M?. N5M alone will do the whole project and they will now share the remaining N20M. Mind you, this is just the prototype. They are budgeting about 1Bn for environmental cleanliness. If the prototype becomes a success[which it will be because alaye must shit], they will then allocate God knows how much for the real project. I am sure they will build one toilet in front of Redman's quarters for public enjoyment. grin grin
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by AloyEmeka9: 8:34pm On Jul 16, 2009
aishaah:

i hate dat bleaching fool with passion,doe tongue :Psnt he has an advicer,why build public toilets for 25m,after \all wat he knws hw 2 do best is partying n going to ogbomosho every wekend for shayo.
I don't see anything wrong in him going to Ogbomosho to relax after a long week. Is he not allowed to do that as a public servant?. also, you look beautiful in your picture. God blessed you with beauty, I confess.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 8:37pm On Jul 16, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Did you say 2M?. N5M alone will do the whole project and they will now share the remaining N20M. Mind you, this is just the prototype. They are budgeting about 1Bn for environmental cleanliness. If the prototype becomes a success[which it will be because alaye must shit], they will then allocate God knows how much for the real project.

u mean i was being nice to him
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by AloyEmeka9: 8:41pm On Jul 16, 2009
Yesooo
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 16, 2009
it amazes me to see ppl post these ridiculous comments.

we have a land at Ijegun, Ikotun with some ministructures on it.
we recently built a toilet+suckaway system for the occupants to share amongst themselves
just a room toilet with aluminum roofing, with provision for water, cost us N750,000
and you need to see how we managed everything, including labour.

and you say N5 million is too small for a public toilet?
many of you guys who come here definitely have no clue what living costs.

all you do is sit in front of ur cafe computer and type nonsense.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 9:29pm On Jul 16, 2009
webdezzi:

it amazes me to see ppl post these ridiculous comments.

we have a land at Ijegun, Ikotun with some ministructures on it.
we recently built a toilet+suckaway system for the occupants to share amongst themselves
just a room toilet with aluminum roofing, with provision for water, cost us N750,000
and you need to see how we managed everything, including labour.

and you say N5 million is too small for a public toilet?
many of you guys who come here definitely have no clue what living costs.

all you do is sit in front of ur cafe computer and type nonsense.

What side are you on.
Remember, there is a difference btw constructing just one and more
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by mjbaba: 9:33pm On Jul 16, 2009
5 million for a public toilet?

Damn too cheap.

Who's complaining here? do u knw a Goddamn about building?
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Redman44(m): 9:39pm On Jul 16, 2009
All in All, a lot of work needs to be done if Nigeria is to really become developed. We have to change our value systems and the way we view public service. We have to start believing that if we embezzle money while we are in office, we are gradually destroying the destinies of our children and unborn generations. There must be transparency in governance and this should be taught to children right from Primary school. Civics and Citizenship studies need to be reintroduced into our Primary and Secondary School curriculum.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Uk Court Convicts Nigerian Pastor Over 360 Fake Marriages / Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo / Okada Ban: 230 Operators, Motorcycles In Police Custody – Lagos CP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.