Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,997 members, 7,890,264 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:52 AM

Protect Your ATM Card - Hackers Are Real (learn From This) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Protect Your ATM Card - Hackers Are Real (learn From This) (1031 Views)

Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It / Hackers Are Targeting Nigerian Banks, Attack Imminent – NITDA Warns / 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protect Your ATM Card - Hackers Are Real (learn From This) by 9iceX(m): 1:03pm On Mar 06, 2016
So, for about 2 minutes , I had to battle with the most suitable section to post this awareness.

I work in the Account section of a manufacturing industry. A report was forwarded to our department on Friday by an employee for not being paid his February salary

We checked with the company's Bank and confirmed the holder's account was credited on 27th of January. We also requested a statement of account but our bank declined; saying there must be some amount in the holder's account to generate a statement as some charges are required.
However, the statement was communicated orally to us as "being empty".

What happened to the amount credited then, we inquired.
Our Bank further explained that the said salary was credited on 27th. Withdrawal was made twice; 28th and 29th via the holder's ATM card!

Finally, our man confessed and here's his story.
"I tried using my ATM card at Ibadan but the machine didn't dispense. Instead, it "swallowed" my card. I came back to Lagos and I have been operating the counter withdrawal method since then"

Ok! That was his ordeal. No report was made in this regard to both banks involved. He never complained to our bank where the card was issued (DBL), neither did he complain to Access Bank, where he lost his card to the ATM machine.

To our own understanding, here is what really happened:
We believe when the machine seize your card, we assume it drops all seized card in a place. Where a complain and some form of verification is required before it's release.
We think ONE OF THE BANK EMPLOYEE got hold of the card and made the withdrawals. We also believe much cracks won't be needed to figure out the password. They certainly must have an easy way to go about that to facilitate those withdrawals.

We've reported the issue to Access Bank to fish out the culprit which we believe must be an employee of the bank.

Advice: Never expose your ATM details to anyone. Most people believe all they needed to protect is "the password" only. It's beyond that. Other codes and digits on the card are important too!

In the event of card misplacement. Report to your bank immediate and ensure all transactions via ur ATM card is blocked!

In Senator Ben Bruce voice "My name is 9icex of http://www.nawesabi.com and I am here to make common sense.
Re: Protect Your ATM Card - Hackers Are Real (learn From This) by Jostico: 1:18pm On Mar 06, 2016
ops you sound nice,all the same thank you

and to the other guy sorry its part of life.
even me @20 i had the same couple of months back i'm really gutted. i had 36,900 they made away with it all.the most hurtfull part of it,it's my friends money.now i'm just tired of life some how.mtcheww lord help us.happy Sunday.
Re: Protect Your ATM Card - Hackers Are Real (learn From This) by AnodaIT(m): 1:44pm On Mar 06, 2016
I have transactions going on with atm, I have been very careful to extent that I think no one can scam me through atm related incident.
If you think I'm wrong, I will be willing to learn whatever way (not carelessness) that my money can be withdrawn
Re: Protect Your ATM Card - Hackers Are Real (learn From This) by 9iceX(m): 5:31pm On Mar 06, 2016
Jostico:
ops you sound nice,all the same thank you

and to the other guy sorry its part of life.
even me @20 i had the same couple of months back i'm really gutted. i had 36,900 they made away with it all.the most hurtfull part of it,it's my friends money.now i'm just tired of life some how.mtcheww lord help us.happy Sunday.

May God protect us all.. Always
Re: Protect Your ATM Card - Hackers Are Real (learn From This) by 9iceX(m): 10:20pm On Mar 06, 2016
AnodaIT:
I have transactions going on with atm, I have been very careful to extent that I think no one can scam me through atm related incident.
If you think I'm wrong, I will be willing to learn whatever way (not carelessness) that my money can be withdrawn

Cool, without ur password, hackers might be able to do something with other codes on ur cards too.
Seriously on this, who would have thought a transaction could be performed through a seized card.
That's a criminal offence on the part of Access!
Re: Protect Your ATM Card - Hackers Are Real (learn From This) by 9iceX(m): 9:01am On Mar 10, 2016
Funny, and access seem not to be doing anything about this even after receiving our report
Re: Protect Your ATM Card - Hackers Are Real (learn From This) by sconp: 10:02am On Mar 10, 2016
Protect your card, if a hacker gets your card he doesn't need your pin
If worst comes to worst and he needs your pin he could social engineer it out of you.

Besides, there are other tools that can be used to rip a card.
Re: Protect Your ATM Card - Hackers Are Real (learn From This) by 9iceX(m): 8:52am On Mar 14, 2016
sconp:
Protect your card, if a hacker gets your card he doesn't need your pin
If worst comes to worst and he needs your pin he could social engineer it out of you.

Besides, there are other tools that can be used to rip a card.

I believe that too 100%
this awareness should be heeded to

(1) (Reply)

Can Somebody Explain This Gtbank Charges (photo) / Let's Partner With You Ltd. Are They Broke Or Still In Business? / Breaking News: Nigerian Banks' Corruption Exposed Again - CBN Banned 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.