Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,903 members, 7,872,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 04:41 AM

South African Gay Singer Dies Of Anal Cancer - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / South African Gay Singer Dies Of Anal Cancer (635 Views)

Nigerian Artiste, Moses Ochie Dies Of Kidney Disease / Don Williams, US Country Singer Dies At 78 / Ladies Flaunt Cleavages At South-African Music Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

South African Gay Singer Dies Of Anal Cancer by georgecso(m): 2:05pm On Mar 08, 2016
36 year old HIV positive South African singer, Koyo Bala, lost his two year battle with anal cancer yesterday March 7th. Bala was part of a pop gay trio known as 3Sum who were known in the South African entertainment industry as activists for gay rights.

According to his cousin Linda Bala‚ the musician was "admitted to hospital on Sunday around 4pm after he complained about pain". This was two hours since landing in Cape Town from a trip to Johannesburg‚ where he was staying with his long-term friend and group member‚ Maboa.

"We suspect that his kidney had failed and he relapsed. When he came back from Johannesburg he went to see his doctor and was immediately admitted‚ but this morning we were told that akasekho (he is no more)‚" said the cousin.

In 2011‚ Bala disclosed that he was HIV-positive to the country‚ a decision he in 2014 told Sunday Times had "cost him work". In 2014 he was diagnosed with anal cancer and decided to move back home last year where he started chemotherapy - a journey he widely shared in images‚ videos and messages with his social media followers.

His last tweet about his illness was on February reads: "I pray 2 God everyday 2 help me pass this cancer #itshard #pains #wontgiveup #canwinthisbattle #cantsleepofpains".

Maboa‚ who was inconsolable over the phone‚ told The Times about their trip to the MetroFM Awards on February 27‚ which Bala had extended with a visit to Maboa's house. But after a week that was cut short on Sunday when Bala showed signs of not feeling well - he then booked a flight and headed back home.

"We spent the whole time chatting and talking about what we wanted to do and what we wanted for ourselves. But little did I know that was God giving me a chance to bid my friend goodbye.

"He was the only person I had left‚ it's as if he was coming to say goodbye‚" said Maboa.

Their bandmate Moyo died in 2010‚ reportedly from HIV/Aids-related complications.

Messages of condolences have flooded the social media with many saddened by the news of Bala's death.

Isidingo actress Kgomotso Christopher wrote: "The friendliest care-free soul at intimidating industry events... Rest in eternal peace".

"Goodbye dear friend Koyo Bala. Oh the fun times we had when we were all young and free‚ kwaito was fresh on the radio and smiles were true‚" wrote designer Craig Jacobs.

Bala's family are yet to make funeral arrangements but said they were looking to burying the musician next week.

Bala returned to Cape Town from Johannesburg on Sunday March 6th, complained of having serious pains. He was taken to the Groote Schuur hospital that same day but died the following morning.

In 2011‚ Bala disclosed that he was HIV-positive. In 2014 he was diagnosed with anal cancer.

[img] https://3.bp..com/-plaxSp890m8/Vt6rY_VSYHI/AAAAAAAIis4/mkO-DEcR-e8/s400/1.jpg[/img]

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2016/03/07/Sisters-were-with-Koyo-Bala-as-he-died-of-cancer
Re: South African Gay Singer Dies Of Anal Cancer by Elosky: 2:24pm On Mar 08, 2016
may ur nyash rest in peace
Re: South African Gay Singer Dies Of Anal Cancer by iduzebaba(m): 2:44pm On Mar 08, 2016
Amen

(1) (Reply)

See What Peter Okoye Is Saying Instagram About Their Saga / Freedom Hall Presents Poetry & Music In The Air / Nigeria DJ Set To Break Guinness World Record By Deejaying For Ten Days Straight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.