Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,107 members, 7,887,235 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:49 AM

Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured (27787 Views)

Decomposing Body Recovered From Abuja Collapsed Building - Photo / Police Teargas Protesters At Collapsed Building Site In Abuja / NYSC Member : "Ngozi Oformezie Is Dead" - Owerri Collapsed Building Victim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by Gkemz: 4:14pm On Mar 08, 2016
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]nawa o
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by rawtouch: 4:14pm On Mar 08, 2016
Sad
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by ademoladeji(m): 4:15pm On Mar 08, 2016
Yepa!

RIP
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by jeje123(m): 4:17pm On Mar 08, 2016
There should be a kind of undertaking for these contractor somebody must be use as a scape goat.
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by sweetgala(m): 4:19pm On Mar 08, 2016
Okijajuju1:

Prosecute who?

Do you know that before you lay one block on the ground to start your building, the Government takes a large chunk of money from you to get your building permits?

The building permit is to check your building plan if it is up to the general and specific building code, if your aechitect is even licenced to practice in Nigeria, etc . This includes checking your foundation engineering, your weight distribution and such.

Ideally this should be done by a sound graduate or contracted out to reputable companies like Bereau Veritas and co to do third party certification of your plan. Then during the course of your building, the government is supposed to carry out regular checks or in cases of megastructures, have a site rep present to regularly vet the consistency of the concrete mix, check that the building is being constructed in line with the approved plan, etc.

But now what you hear in Lekki is "just do raft foundation". Both bungalow and skyscrapers all na raft foundation. Then ofcourse contractor go dey try to cut corners dey either buy fake brittle rods or short change on the cement to sand ratio.

Before we catch the contractors and building owners, we should first go after the government agency responsible for building inspection.

I'll like to see an image of what that building looked like before that collapse, because it was a complete crumble.

It is a sad situation.
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 08, 2016
STRBOY:

Miss Popular... [Frm a Fan]
cheesy
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by SycophanticGoat: 4:22pm On Mar 08, 2016
One must learn to spend while building. Don't use substandard materials and don't cut corners because the result is always fatal. cry cry

RIP to the dead... cry cry
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by Makweembo: 4:25pm On Mar 08, 2016
RIP to the dead.

Just a reflection since the subject matter is on ground - compare this collapse to Synagogue's last year. You can still see part of this structure standing, whereas in SCOAN's case, everything was levelled to the ground like a pancake in a matter of seconds.

That's why I still stand by my resolve - what happened at The SCOAN was sabotage in the form of demolition, NOT structural issues.

Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by texazzpete(m): 4:33pm On Mar 08, 2016
Makweembo:
RIP to the dead.

Just a reflection since the subject matter is on ground - compare this collapse to Synagogue's last year. You can still see part of this structure standing, whereas in SCOAN's case, everything was levelled to the ground like a pancake in a matter of seconds.

That's why I still stand by my resolve - what happened at The SCOAN was sabotage in the form of demolition, NOT structural issues.

Yes, because it is written in the Bible that all buildings that collapse must collapse in exactly the same way and they all have the same failure points.

/s

Some of you scammed your parents by failing to acquire an education despite all the school fees they paid for you.

2 Likes

Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by STRBOY(m): 4:35pm On Mar 08, 2016
osedvgirl:
cheesy

Abeg no laugh.... With all honesty...

Am a big Fan + I admire Ur topics a lot
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by STRBOY(m): 4:35pm On Mar 08, 2016
osedvgirl:

cheesy

Don't laugh @ me na...
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by STRBOY(m): 4:36pm On Mar 08, 2016
osedvgirl:
cheesy

Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by frenchboy(m): 4:36pm On Mar 08, 2016
So buildn dey collapse for lekki too.oga o
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by ksa2much(m): 4:51pm On Mar 08, 2016
lord have mercy
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by Makweembo: 4:52pm On Mar 08, 2016
texazzpete:

Yes, because it is written in the Bible that all buildings that collapse must collapse in exactly the same way and they all have the same failure points. Some of you scammed your parents by failing to acquire an education despite all the school fees they paid for you.

Bro, you can insult all you want but the facts remain the same. Take a look at the video and see for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMTvgIKaOBI
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by brabus(m): 4:52pm On Mar 08, 2016
erico2k2:
When you make 50 9 inches blocks from 1 bag of cement.this is the outcome.
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by GoodcasHMan: 4:58pm On Mar 08, 2016
Nature is no more friendly with its acquaintance. Not only Nigeria

Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by texazzpete(m): 5:30pm On Mar 08, 2016
Makweembo:

Bro, you can insult all you want but the facts remain the same. Take a look at the video and see for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMTvgIKaOBI

We've seen all the stupid conspiracy theories designed to keep your bosses out of the jail they deserve. This is nothing new

1 Like

Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by stanley000: 6:57pm On Mar 08, 2016
yes! let them collapse and crash down,since you prefer baba Latifa the bricklayer to build your homes instead of a qualified engineer.
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by mudsam(m): 6:57pm On Mar 08, 2016
RIP to does who die and make God heal does who get injury
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by mudsam(m): 6:59pm On Mar 08, 2016
D contractor and d owner of d house should b question too 4 using fake material
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by veron007: 1:39am On Mar 09, 2016
Is this one of the Lekki Gardens buildings?

1 Like

Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by connkg(m): 3:26am On Mar 09, 2016
@okija
In the case of SCOAN, the permit given was for fewer floors. If the government didn't oversee/ inspect, why be so bold as to take SCOAN to court?
@Makwee/ Tex
The first rainsof the year brought down a 5-storey. Another 5-storey was brought down by sound waves/ vibration(?). Something about foundations not distributing or carrying the load should be suspected, shouldn't it?
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 09, 2016
STRBOY:

ok but am not laughing @ you wink
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by STRBOY(m): 10:28am On Mar 09, 2016
osedvgirl:

Who U laughing @ and why the wink....

Hmmmmmm wytn u dy see make I see am grin
osedvgirl:

Who U laughing @ and why the wink....

Hmmmmmm wytn u dy see make I see am
Re: Search and rescue continue At Lekki Collapsed Building,6 Dead,16 Injured by stuhporh: 10:30am On Mar 09, 2016
what really happened is not in the public eye and this throws lekki garden into the bad spotlight. The said building had been abandoned and waiting to be demolished by the lekki gardens. the MD of lekki gardens sacked the building contractor without pay based on the very bad structure he put up.

The lives lost, which I am sure cant be recompensed by any means or standard unfortunately can not be put on the ownership of the uncompleted building. All of the occupant of this building were in it illegally and if they had tried to sort approval, even from the site engineer to say the least, I am sure that prior information and warning would have been passed unto them regarding the state of the building.

However, this event will have a very negative effect on the company due to the fact that they disregarded the social norms and responsibility of the company having to alert their neighbors and illegal occupants. What i mean here is that, a signage which shows that the building is mark for demolition and its unsafe to be up or lived in. A warning sign board saying " keep off, keep your distance, building mark for demolition" would have averted this events or reduced the damage of the risk from having such deplorable structure still standing.

I think the government will cash in on this, and insurance will be paying heavily if the building was insured.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Pictorial Documentation Of A New Home Building In Enugu. / Painting Diary Of A Nairalander's House. / 4 Story Building Collapse At Iga Iduganran, Lagos Island, Many Trapped Inside

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.