Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,892 members, 7,942,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 02:59 AM

Anyone Heard Of Linkstar? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Anyone Heard Of Linkstar? (663 Views)

Please Who Has Heard Of Or Used Phpfox Here?? / Has Anyone Heard Of Double-edge Technologies? / Has Anybody Heard Of Vtn (virtualterminalnetwork) ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyone Heard Of Linkstar? by yawatide(f): 6:21pm On Jul 17, 2009
I just got contacted by someone who works there asking that for some money, they post a text ad on my site. I have done some massive google research and haven't found anything -ve about them other than that they are very secretive about their clients. The interesting thing is, and this is what got me worried, after they sent their initial offer, I rejected it, asking for a higher price. They sent me something lower and again, I rejected. They finally agreed.

The ad is to be on my site for 1 yr. It is text and is to be embedded (it is a sentence, with a link to a paying client, I guess. I also checked out the site is is referring to and it is legit) in the middle of a sentence, in one of the paragraphs on the page in question.

The site in question doesn't rank high and I am wondering how my site of the millions out there met their criteria, hence the question.

Anyone heard of them or better yet, dealt with them? Do share please.

Thanks.
Re: Anyone Heard Of Linkstar? by onyengbu1(m): 8:18pm On Jul 17, 2009
The Linkstar I know is an American company that deals on telecommunications issue, they are the makers of the popular broadband modem used by ViaSat.

That is the much I know about linkstar.
Re: Anyone Heard Of Linkstar? by yawatide(f): 10:10pm On Jul 17, 2009
onye:
Thanks for the info. This one however, is a company based in the UK: http://www.linkstar.co.uk/
Re: Anyone Heard Of Linkstar? by abhosts(m): 9:34am On Jul 18, 2009
@yawa,

Did you say you tried to google them? Cos I found this piece about them on google:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/web_advertising_linkstar
Re: Anyone Heard Of Linkstar? by bug24(m): 9:57am On Jul 18, 2009
@abhost,

good link u posted there, av gone tru the blog, like one of the replyees (lol) said, why wuld they wanna hide their identities since they aint doing nothing illegal?

I think there's more to this, how can a company just start contacting any website to place ads, do u know how many websites are in the www?
do they have all that money?

Yawa, use ur instincts, no one on the blog accepted the offer, maybe u shuld just read the thing well and decide for u.
Re: Anyone Heard Of Linkstar? by yawatide(f): 12:44pm On Jul 18, 2009
@all: Thanks for your comments/post of the url.  Interestingly, prior to posing this question, I read this same article wink

I also have read 3 or 4 more where people said they put up the link, and linkstar did in fact pay.  I think the author of the article posted here even says that they aren't doing anything illegal but wonders why they are secretive.

My instincts? After thinking about it for a week, I have decided to add the link.  Worse case, if I don't get paid within 72 hours, I will take the link out.  Here is the link, to show how harmless it appears to be, including the site being advertised (their ad is embedded in one of the paragraphs and for the purpose of this post, has been bolded):

My text on my site here,followed by — the same qualities that made (with link to their client here, opening in the same page) standout in the insurance industry. By incorporating these factors, we hope to accomplish our objective and mission.

My only concern is that the advertised site opens in the same window and under their terms and conditions, I can't modify it to open in another window. They are so secretive - I can't even post my own paragraph or mention the site promoted. I figure sha, $150 for 12 months is free money cool

I will keep you all posted.

(1) (Reply)

Cactus Please Help / Webdeveloper Needed Urgently / Review Donpuzo's Recent Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.