Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,496 members, 7,947,975 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 11:40 AM

The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. (4974 Views)

Young Girl Who Gives Birth At An IDP Camp In Adamawa (Photos) / Meet Audu’s Teenage Wife Whose Dream Of Becoming Kogi Ist Lady Is Shattered(pics / Apc Claims Buhari Is Responsible For The U-17 World Cup Victory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by AloyEmeka9: 6:48pm On Jul 17, 2009
The Nigerian teenage girl who made flying history in US
By Ike Nnamdi

Friday, July 17, 2009
A Nigerian teen has become the youngest black female to ever fly from one end of America to the other known in aviation parlance as cross country flight. Kimberly Anyadike whose parents are Nigerians broke the U.S. record and entered into the record books when she flew flew a single-engine Cessna cross-country from her hometown of in California to Newport Virginia. Anyadike also became the youngest African American female pilot to complete the journey, which took 13 days.

Kimberly Anyadike

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jul/17/516.html

Anyadike learned to fly at age 12 through the Compton-based Tomorrow’s Aeronautical Museum, which offers aviation lessons in an after-school program for disadvantaged youths. It was their plane that she flew on her cross-country trip.

The brave teenager came up with the idea for the trip on her own, the museum’s founder Robert Petgrave. “I told her it was going to be a daunting task, but she just said, ‘Put it on. I got big shoulders,’” Petgrave said. Along for the historic ride were an adult safety pilot and 87-year-old Levi Thornhill, one of the Tuskeegee Airmen during World War II.

“They left such a great legacy,” Anyadike said of the American all-black combat unit. “I had big shoes to fill. All they wanted to do was to be patriots for this country. They were told no, that they were stupid, that they didn’t have cognitive development to fly planes. They didn’t listen. They just did what they wanted to do.” About 50 Tuskeegee Airmen autographed the young pilot’s plane during her journey. “I wanted to inspire other kids to really believe in themselves,” Anyadike said.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by Fhemmmy: 6:50pm On Jul 17, 2009
She is a real smart girl and i wish her the best in all she does.
A true Nigerian she is.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by AloyEmeka9: 7:02pm On Jul 17, 2009
How come she was licensed to fly at that age?
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by banom(m): 7:03pm On Jul 17, 2009
Igbo people are too much,

I think the story that Igbos are Jews is true.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by AloyEmeka9: 7:18pm On Jul 17, 2009
Anybody can fly a plane. Is she the only teenager that can fly a plane?. Go to afghanistan and all those terrorist areas and see for yourself. In Congo and sierra leone, 5 yr olds were used to suppress rebel forces and they freely used AK47's.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by Fhemmmy: 7:19pm On Jul 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Anybody can fly a plane. Is she the only teenager that can fly a plane?. Go to afghanistan and all those terrorist areas and see for yourself. In Congo and sierra leone, 5 yr olds were used to suppress rebel forces and they freely used AK47's.

Learn to appreciate good thing and not always look for ways to deflate good things
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by AloyEmeka9: 7:22pm On Jul 17, 2009
I appreciate her bravery but my comment was based on Banom's response.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by ifyalways(f): 7:22pm On Jul 17, 2009
banom:

Igbo people are too much,

I think the story that Igbos are Jews is true.
hmmn
@Topic,good to hear.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by philip0906(m): 7:23pm On Jul 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

And what does it take 4rm the fact that,
A Nigerian teen has become the youngest black female to ever fly from one end of America to the other known in aviation parlance as cross country flight. Kimberly Anyadike whose parents are Nigerians broke the U.S. record and entered into the record books when she flew flew a single-engine Cessna cross-country from her hometown of in California to Newport Virginia. Anyadike also became the youngest African American female pilot to complete the journey, which took 13 days.
don't b a dickk head. undecided
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by AloyEmeka9: 7:28pm On Jul 17, 2009
Are you calling the girl a dkhead?
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by Fhemmmy: 7:28pm On Jul 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Are you calling the girl a dkhead?

u are something else jare
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by AloyEmeka9: 7:30pm On Jul 17, 2009
Why not channel it to banom that brought tribe into this issue. Is the title igbo girl or Nigerian girl?. This BecomeRich mentality is getting out of hand.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by philip0906(m): 7:32pm On Jul 17, 2009
@aloy.emeka
well i said don't b a dickk head.but it seems u want me 2 say u r a dickk head. undecided
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by AloyEmeka9: 7:33pm On Jul 17, 2009
It'll still be my head after you 'dickken' it abi or will I pay extra for the plastic surgery? grin
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by philip0906(m): 7:36pm On Jul 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

It'll still be my head after you 'dickken' it abi or will I pay extra for the plastic surgery? grin
u no well o. grin grin
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by banom(m): 7:53pm On Jul 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Why not channel it to banom that brought tribe into this issue. Is the title igbo girl or Nigerian girl?. This BecomeRich mentality is getting out of hand.

Channel it to banom ? is she not an Igbo girl ? is there no rumuor that Igbos are Isrealites ( Jews) ? what did i do ?.

I remember clearly when a thread was opened here in nairaland on how a nigerian in america used his computer to hack americans of several millions of dollars and somone said that the guy was an Igbo man and not a Nigerian,

Now my sister just made an outstanding achievement and i complimented her and people now see it as wrong,

No problem, please any nairalander that is not afraid should channel verbal abuse to me,let me use the person to spend this weekend in something i know and wish to be doing all the time ( verbal abuse)
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by AloyEmeka9: 7:55pm On Jul 17, 2009
Must we dwell on tribal insults in every thread and reduce ourselves to BecomeRich's level?
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by banom(m): 7:59pm On Jul 17, 2009
@ Aloy.Emeka,

this is not a becomerich issue,

the truth is that,

nwa nnem nwanyi mere ihe mara nma kwesiri ka ajaya nma, i am very proud of her,

any one who thinks that i am wrong should please channel verbal abuse to me.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by AloyEmeka9: 8:04pm On Jul 17, 2009
It is more appropriate to say she is a Nigerian and not igbo. Don't invite BecomeRich here please. Again, the girl is very pretty except her dentition.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by naijaking1: 8:15pm On Jul 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Must we dwell on tribal insults in every thread and reduce ourselves to BecomeRich's level?
Hausa people like you who only chose when to cry tribalism and when to cry one Nigeria are really worse than Becomerich. You ought to be ashamed of your tribal antics, no matter how you masquarade as 'emeka'.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by banom(m): 8:16pm On Jul 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

It is more appropriate to say she is a Nigerian and not igbo. Don't invite BecomeRich here please. Again, the girl is very pretty except her dentition.

How could she have been a Nigerian without first an Igbo girl?

If she had done something bad, I.E stealing or prostitution, some yorubas and hausas would have jumped into the thread and start disassociating them selves from her, now she did something SUPER GREAT they want her to be part of her failed nation called nigeria,

If she was in Nigeria do you think she would have been to an airport not to talk of making a flying history,

For all i care, she is an Igbo girl, a Jew, a Biafran and nothing more, any one not comfortable with that should please channel verbal abuse to me.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by AloyEmeka9: 8:37pm On Jul 17, 2009
naijaking1:

Hausa people like you who only chose when to cry tribalism and when to cry one Nigeria are really worse than Becomerich. You ought to be ashamed of your tribal antics, no matter how you masquarade as 'emeka'.
There are hausas with names like emeka, abi? kiss
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Oh Emeka Emeka Emeka, you've killed me, really you have  grin grin
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by AloyEmeka9: 8:46pm On Jul 17, 2009
Yes, there are similar heroes in Africa except Naija. We only produce heroes like BecomeRich who will collapse at the sound of a gun yet he can bravely scatter his saliva all over the net as if he is no more a coward and tpia who at 43 cannot ride a common bicycle how much less fly a plane.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by chiogo(f): 8:51pm On Jul 17, 2009
I heard the news few days ago. . . .kudos to her!! smiley
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by sley4life(m): 9:50pm On Jul 17, 2009
wonderful. the chick is pretty.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by ezeagu(m): 10:10pm On Jul 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Kids in the Congo, Sierra Leone and especially Afghanistan do not fly planes. . . . .
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by Beaf: 10:11pm On Jul 17, 2009
Good luck to the child from a priviledged home. Poor man pikin no de fly plane.
How many people back home have benefited from this family?

I prefer the story of the 9ja girl that was tops in science and was honoured with a zero-gravity flight from the kennedy space centre
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/5364722.stm
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by savanaha: 10:14pm On Jul 17, 2009
Beaf:

I prefer the story of the 9ja girl that was tops in science and was honoured with a zero-gravity flight from the kennedy space centre

That's incredible.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by ezeagu(m): 10:15pm On Jul 17, 2009
Beaf:

You mean "Stella Felix"? I don't think Ms. Anyadike actually bought the plane, so because she happens to be born in the family she was in, it takes away from her achievement? If she was a daughter of a rich government worker in Nigeria I would understand, but this girl is American.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by Beaf: 10:20pm On Jul 17, 2009
Poor American pikin no de fly plane. I still prefer Stella Felix, that was a proper acheivement; or is some child going to drive a car across the US and be hailed lavishly in 9ja? I don't understand.
Re: The Nigerian Teenage Girl Who Made Flying History In the U.S. by ezeagu(m): 10:23pm On Jul 17, 2009
Beaf:

Poor American pikin no de fly plane. I still prefer Stella Felix, that was a proper acheivement; or is some child going to drive a car across the US and be hailed lavishly in 9ja? I don't understand.

This girl flew a plane on her own across one of the biggest countries in the world, achievement is achievement, if not, why hasn't anyone else done it, she worked hard man! How do you even know she's rich?

Anyadike learned to fly when she was 12 at Tomorrow's Aeronautical Museum, an after-school program that offers aviation lessons to at-risk youth.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/us_world/Teen-Pilot-Makes-Aviation-History.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Three People Murdered In Ebubu, Eleme, River State Today / OOGUN KIRIJI -the World’s Longest Ethnic Civil War / Buhari Jubril, Kanu Drops Yet More Evidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.