Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,125 members, 7,900,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 03:05 AM

Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? (9199 Views)

Why Do Some Men Like To Tempt Married Women? Why??? / 16 Costly Mistakes Married Women Make / Is This Common Amongst Nigerian Married Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by sley4life(m): 4:57am On Jul 24, 2009
to pull runs
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by lastpage: 4:05pm On Jul 24, 2009
@Sugarbelly
I'd rather the man use the wedding ring money and build me a damn 900 square foot walk-in closet.

Nonsense.
Na only "Closet"? What of Prison?? grin

If the Ring is "Stupid" and "Ugly", You should not have even accepted it AT ALL, in the first place!
Ofcourse, you wan marry now, abi?
Back-stabbers!

No wonder Nigerian women are "Rated as highly too-Materialistic", by other women folks!

Shioo, shiooo tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by otukpo(f): 4:19pm On Jul 24, 2009
No wonder Nigerian women are "Rated as highly too-Materialistic", by other women folks!

[quote][/quote]

Who is doing the rating? You?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 24, 2009
lastpage:

@SugarbellyNa only "Closet"? What of Prison?? grin

If the Ring is "Stupid" and "Ugly", You should not have even accepted it AT ALL, in the first place!
Ofcourse, you wan marry now, abi?
Back-stabbers!

Shioo, shiooo tongue

Let me make something clear. Stop thinking that Nigerian women are so terribly desperate to marry you. Sure a lot of stupid women treat marriage as if it's a do or die competition but it isn't. Men are not God's gift to earth and bad or cheap men certainly aren't. Marriage is a privilege women agree to bestow on men so get off your high horse.

And materialism is not a bad thing. Materialism ensures your children can go to school. Materialism ensures you have food to eat.

P.S.

There is no such thing as "women folks". Folk is already plural.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by lastpage: 9:59pm On Jul 24, 2009
@Sugarbelly
,  Sure a lot of stupid women treat marriage as if it's a do or die competition but it isn't. Men are not God's gift to earth and bad or cheap men certainly aren't.
Ignoramus of the highest order!

Ab initio, let me apologize to women folk in general for my comments that would follow.
I appreciate womanhood, more so the "married category", its something you can be proud of, being an institution ordained by God.
Even more so, l doff my hat for those married women who are "fit for purpose", in the "marriage institution"!

Having said those, let me itemize a few things to "Sugarbelly".

1.) God created MAN, in HIS own image (Gen 1:27) => MEN are actually gods, so to speak! grin

2.) God saw that all HE had made was "BEAUTIFUL", including "MAN"! (Gen 1: 31) => MAN is beautiful, even by God's standard! , and on the 7th day, HE rested (Gen 2:2) tongue

3.) And God said "l will make a HELPER suitable for him". (Gen 2:18) => WOMAN is a "helper" to man, and some "helpers", as seen in "Sugarbelly", are actually "not fit for purpose"! shocked

4.) Then God made a WOMAN from his RIB,  taken out of the MAN!, and brought her to him. (Gen 2:22)
5.) And God said to the Man, "Because you listened to your wife (as against HIM) and ate, cursed is the ground because of you! (Gen 3:17)

6.) An God said to the woman, "I will greatly increase your pain in child-birth, Your husband will rule over you!(Gen 3:16) grin

Heavy words, but true to the letter!
Thats God's position on the issue, not mine.
So, to say "MEN are not God's gift to the world", is definitely a clear verdict on your "level of intelligence"!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marriage is a privilege women agree to bestow on men so get off your high horse.
Arrant nonsense, stop spewing ignorance openly! Who is marrying who?
Marriage is not even a privilege, whether from a man or a woman, its an "agreement to a commitment" from both parties!
I doubt if you have "secured" such commitment? grin

And materialism is not a bad thing. Materialism ensures your children can go to school. Materialism ensures you have food to eat.
Go take a 'Dico' and look up "Materialism"!
Its "the tendency to give undue attention to material interest, against, over and above spiritual concerns".
Abi, spiritual people no dey chop?
, and if you took your time to "understand" what l wrote earlier, instead of looking for 'error',  you will note the "adjective" l used to qualify the word "Materialism", a verb.: Highly too materialistic,

P.S.
There is no such thing as "women folks". Folk is already plural.
Yeye small pikin like you wants to "tackle" grammar with me?!
Abeg, you never reach grin grin
It is not "FOLKS" that is already plural as you claimed!, it is the word "WOMEN"![/color]
Typographical error that you cant even comprehend, yet you want to correct others!
It should read "women folk"

Go to school and come back in about Ten years time or when you bag a PhD, that is if you have the "mental capability"!

BTW:I dont have time and l dont want to "engage" with you.

According to "Winston Churchill,” When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber

Go "jabber" elsewhere P-L-E-A-S-E!

Lastpage
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by lastpage: 10:20pm On Jul 24, 2009

@otukpo
Who is doing the rating? You?
No, not me.
The text says "other women folk".
I actually read such comments from non-Nigerian men/women, about Nigerian women, on the issue of Materialism, on different threads and websites. In other cases, such pronouncement was made during verbal conversations.
Mind you, it is "their opinion" of Nigerian women, not necessarily true (as some ratings are), and "generalizing" it is certainly  "statistically contestable".

I made the inference as a reference to those who postulate that their "husband is stupid" as long as the wedding RING used is not Diamond! angry

Thank you.

Lastpage
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by dizzywezzy(f): 10:57pm On Jul 24, 2009
Ab initio, let me apologize to women folk in general for my comments that would follow.
I appreciate womanhood, more so the "married category", its something you can be proud of, being an institution ordained by God.
Even more so, l doff my hat for those married women who are "fit for purpose", in the "marriage institution"!

Having said those, let me itemize a few things to "Sugarbelly".

1.) God created MAN, in HIS own image (Gen 1:27) => MEN are actually gods, so to speak!

2.) God saw that all HE had made was "BEAUTIFUL", including "MAN"! (Gen 1: 31) => MAN is beautiful, even by God's standard! , and on the 7th day, HE rested (Gen 2:2)

3.) And God said "l will make a HELPER suitable for him". (Gen 2:18) => WOMAN is a "helper" to man, and some "helpers", as seen in "Sugarbelly", are actually "not fit for purpose"!

4.) Then God made a WOMAN from his RIB, taken out of the MAN!, and brought her to him. (Gen 2:22)
5.) And God said to the Man, "Because you listened to your wife (as against HIM) and ate, cursed is the ground because of you! (Gen 3:17)

6.) An God said to the woman, "I will greatly increase your pain in child-birth, Your husband will rule over you!(Gen 3:16)

Heavy words, but true to the letter!
Thats God's position on the issue, not mine.
So, to say "MEN are not God's gift to the world", is definitely a clear verdict on your "level of intelligence"!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
y do men luv 2 boast about d fact dat dey r men like if dey go 2 d bank and tell d manager dey r men he will withdraw all the money in dere 4 dem.
1.) God created MAN, in HIS own image (Gen 1:27) => MEN are actually gods, so to speak
So pathetic. so some fools can still try 2 liken dem selves. wen we all no wat happened 2 adam n eve and satan wen dey tried 2 b like God
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jul 24, 2009
@lastpage: Wow. you just made the most idiotic statement I ever heard. God is a SPIRIT meaning that God is neither male nor female. God has NO GENDER.

Olodo rabata!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Borat1: 12:23am On Jul 25, 2009
Blood of Jah!
Sugarbelly is a freaking replica of my mum! shocked shocked lipsrsealed
A clone! Younger version
This is some scary shit. embarassed
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Nobody: 1:41am On Jul 25, 2009
~Borat~:

Blood of Jah!
Sugarbelly is a freaking replica of my mum! shocked shocked lipsrsealed
A clone! Younger version
This is some scary shit. embarassed

erm , who is your mother?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Amigoz(f): 7:24am On Jul 25, 2009
@op do they? I havnt noticed that.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Borat1: 10:05am On Jul 25, 2009
Yeah they do and they aint denying it. They just giving reasons from "its heavy", "its ugly"(a fact they didnt realise initially) to its uncomfortable.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Amigoz(f): 2:21pm On Jul 25, 2009
To me those are minute and lame excuses.
Why have a wedding band if you end up removing it?
Engagement ring maybe, just till the housework is done if its getting in the way.
Every woman to their own I suppose. If the hubby aint complaining, then no wahala.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by nobleangel: 2:35pm On Jul 25, 2009
May be their hubby is cheating on them and dey want to do d same thing back
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 25, 2009
Wedding rings are not part of our culture so they are not compulsory. A woman shouldn't get flak for removing her wedding ring if she doesn't like it.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Thor(m): 3:43pm On Jul 25, 2009
Easier for them to do the washing, scrubbing and cleaning grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Eaglebabe: 8:40pm On Jul 26, 2009
Nigerian married women do not discard their wedding rings at all.Men are the ones who throw it away,so that they will be running after other ladies.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Fhemmmy: 4:04pm On Jul 27, 2009
Eaglebabe:

Nigerian married women do not discard their wedding rings at all.Men are the ones who throw it away,so that they will be running after other ladies.

Another assumption.
Why would they throw it away cos they wanna run after babes, when babes even will date a married man knowingly?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Nezan(m): 6:29pm On Jul 27, 2009
Eaglebabe:

Fhemmmy:

Another assumption.
Why would they throw it away cos they wanna run after babes, when babes even will date a married man knowingly?

And the accusations and counter-accusations continue, funny grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Fhemmmy: 6:36pm On Jul 27, 2009
Nezan:

And the accusations and counter-accusations continue, funny grin

yes ke
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by goodysnoop: 2:24pm On Jul 28, 2009
yes womam discard there wedding ring because they feel it is irrelevant
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Fhemmmy: 3:49pm On Jul 28, 2009
goodysnoop:

yes womam discard there wedding ring because they feel it is irrelevant

u must have known only mushin babes.
Cos all the ladies i know are proud to use the rings.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 28, 2009
Fhemmmy:

u must have known only mushin babes.
Cos all the ladies i know are proud to use the rings.

There are better things to be proud about. Nigerian women need to stop being brainwashed that marriage is the ultimate achievement. Yeah so you're married, so what? Will the clouds open and heavenly music begin to play?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Fhemmmy: 5:28pm On Jul 28, 2009
sugabelly:

There are better things to be proud about. Nigerian women need to stop being brainwashed that marriage is the ultimate achievement. Yeah so you're married, so what? Will the clouds open and heavenly music begin to play?

it might not be the utmost achievement, however, it is an achievement.
There are so many things to be proud of when it comes to marriage.
Knowing you have someone to share your good and bad with, knowing someone will always be worried about your movt and waiting for your return is a great thing and should be proud of it.
Knowing u have a companion is a great thing and someone to love you for you.
However, i am not saying it is the ultimate, but it is great milestone and i don think that Nigerian ladies are being brainwashed at all.
Go to western world too, and you will see a white woman worried about growing old without a man in her life.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Ejadamen(f): 6:45pm On Jul 28, 2009
Are people still arguing about this? shocked shocked
The people who are claiming that Nigerian women are throwing their rings away,i have no idea where you saw them. Most of the ones i have seen love wearing their rings. And what if she doesn't wear it? She might have her reasons. I personally don't wear my rings in the house, just when i'm going out.
@ sugabelly i'm loving your replies but marriage is an achievement, not ultimate but an achievement. People who married for the right reason and who are enjoying their marriage are glad they got married. Other people will actually envy such a relationship.

Wedding rings should be worn,it's a sign of respect to your marriage and to your spouse.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Fhemmmy: 7:17pm On Jul 28, 2009
well said @ Ejadamen
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by mightlove(f): 8:55am On Jul 29, 2009
@sugarbelly

Please, let everyone believe what they believe and do what they wish to do. The fact that you do not believe in marriage or may not be enjoying your marriage does not mean you should try to brainwash everybody into hating marriage or having same views on marriage as you. and yes, I am one of those women that are very proud of their wedding rings and i am proud to be married and i see my marriage as a great achievement plus i am enjoying my marriage sooooooooooo much. There is nothing anyone can say or do to change my thinking towards marriage.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by GeorgeD1(m): 11:03am On Jul 29, 2009
their eye no done! grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Fhemmmy: 3:14pm On Jul 29, 2009
mightlove:

@sugarbelly

Please, let everyone believe what they believe and do what they wish to do. The fact that you do not believe in marriage or may not be enjoying your marriage does not mean you should try to brainwash everybody into hating marriage or having same views on marriage as you. and yes, I am one of those women that are very proud of their wedding rings and i am proud to be married and i see my marriage as a great achievement plus i am enjoying my marriage sooooooooooo much. There is nothing anyone can say or do to change my thinking towards marriage.

Show us some pix now.
I am happy for you jare, and make sure your next kid is named Femi.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by mightlove(f): 3:49pm On Jul 29, 2009
@Fhemmmy
i will upload it b4 the week runs out and concerning the 'Femi' name, we'll think about it, lol
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 29, 2009
mightlove:

@sugarbelly

Please, let everyone believe what they believe and do what they wish to do. The fact that you do not believe in marriage or may not be enjoying your marriage does not mean you should try to brainwash everybody into hating marriage or having same views on marriage as you. and  yes, I am one of those women that are very proud of their wedding  rings and i am proud to be married and i see my marriage as a great achievement plus i am enjoying my marriage sooooooooooo much. There is nothing anyone can say or do to change my thinking towards marriage.

I'm not married. And the fact that I believe that Nigerian women are brainwashed into thinking that marriage is an achievement they must strive for at all costs does not mean I hate marriage. People like you are the ones that go around stressing the MRS in your name so that everyone will know you're married. I have no desire to even attempt to change your thinking, the kind of brainwashing that goes on in our country runs too deep for me to even try.

And by the way, you who is sooooooo proud to be married, how long do you want to bet until your husband starts tapping teenage ass?

My guess is,  it won't be too long.

Call me when your husband starts hissing at young girls passing by the road through the tinted windows of his SUV
Re: Why Do Nigerian Married Women Discard Their Wedding Rings Too Early? by Ejadamen(f): 6:13pm On Jul 29, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Show us some pix now.
I am happy for you jare, and make sure your next kid is named Femi.
This your campaign for babies to be named Femi is a serious one for it to pop up in different threads. What does it mean? The name?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

***Home Items For Sale!!*** / Happy Birthday To A Nairalander's Mum (born Oct 1, 1960) / What Inspiration Do You Get From Your Childhood Days?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.