Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,366 members, 7,947,603 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 02:17 AM

How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold (22898 Views)

Africans That Won The World Cup With France. / Marjorie Enya Proposes To Isadora Cerullo At The Olympics (PICS&VIDEO) / Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Sultanchidi(m): 8:18pm On Mar 12, 2016
Skanas:
Fresh as ever...Wen 9ja de mk person proud for football....

#042....its not just a dial code...it's a way of life...
Enugu, it's an attitude
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by UjSizzle(f): 8:19pm On Mar 12, 2016
I'm waiting for naptu2 on the thread grin
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Olarajee(m): 8:20pm On Mar 12, 2016
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Etizz: 8:25pm On Mar 12, 2016
The only good thing that has ever happened to Nigeria and Nigerians.....
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by tripoli007(m): 8:29pm On Mar 12, 2016
Tear drop actually fell outa my eyes .. That kanus goal against Brazil .. Can Nigeria ever do us proud in soccer again .. I remember how every child then celebrates like KANU after scoring a goal in street soccer

#glorydays
Naija will be great again
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by kenny1313(m): 8:34pm On Mar 12, 2016
may God bless th OP.
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Skanas(m): 8:36pm On Mar 12, 2016
Sultanchidi:
Enugu, it's an attitude
U r sighted SULTANchidi

#042....its not just a dial code...it's a way of life...
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Mutuwa(m): 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2016
tripoli007:
Tear drop actually fell outa my eyes .. That kanus goal against Brazil .. Can Nigeria ever do us proud in soccer again .. I remember how every child then celebrates like KANU after scoring a goal in street soccer

#glorydays
Naija will be great again

Tears will always come to the eyes of anyone who knew how life was,in the 80's and 90's.

Sad thing is,it is gone..

This generation is just nothing.But sha,we should be grateful to our creator then.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by daveP(m): 8:43pm On Mar 12, 2016
isacolukay:
The one and only time my popsy ;Dever held me and rejoice with me.
On a good day, dem no born me well to sit and watch TV with my popsy o.

At times, I wish that day could repeat itself so I can feel fatherly love again.
grin grin lol na floor me and my 16year old Bro watch that match. Elderlies and visitors full chair sotey the vibrations and noise, movement had effect on the life of that couch and it fell apart a month after. grin
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by OmoOlomu(m): 8:45pm On Mar 12, 2016
some of you need to grow up and stop this tag of Indomie children ll not understand ,
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Nobody: 8:48pm On Mar 12, 2016
Nigeria and past glory is just like horses without carriages
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by chiefololade: 8:51pm On Mar 12, 2016
LouisVanGaal:
Particularly Senegal vs Turkey in QF

Abi ooo

Senegal also used it to win against Sweden at the round of 16, France won Euro 2000 with a golden goal; Trezeguet.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by lloydpras: 8:53pm On Mar 12, 2016
chiefololade:

It's a lie, golden goal was still used at Korea/Japan 2002

Lol that's true...just remembered that SouthKorea's goal against Italy. Crazy Heartbreak!
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by sheyinoni(m): 8:55pm On Mar 12, 2016
atinicrown:
I was in ss1 at mayflower school,I will ever remember and tell my grand and great grand children.
Yea school of the gifted,am also a product of Mayflower
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by chiefololade: 9:00pm On Mar 12, 2016
lloydpras:

Lol that's true...just remembered that SouthKorea's goal against Italy. Crazy Heartbreak!

Italy never saw the defeat coming, but the red card to Totti really spoil things for them, and the equalising penalty was not worth it. But I enjoyed that golden goal! The guy was playing in Italy then, Perugia. The header was spectacular! It was even used as an advert on PS1.
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Nobody: 9:13pm On Mar 12, 2016
Mehn! I love naija, but i hate joblesness.
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by lloydpras: 9:27pm On Mar 12, 2016
chiefololade:

Italy never saw the defeat coming, but the red card to Totti really spoil things for them, and the equalising penalty was not worth it. But I enjoyed that golden goal! The guy was playing in Italy then, Perugia. The header was spectacular! It was even used as an advert on PS1.

Lmao

But the win was bittersweet cos Perugia sacked the player.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by fippycbk(m): 9:29pm On Mar 12, 2016
I didn't see the pk Jay Jay missed against Brazil. It wasn't funny then.
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by isacolukay(m): 9:33pm On Mar 12, 2016
daveP:
grin grin lol na floor me and my 16year old Bro watch that match. Elderlies and visitors full chair sotey the vibrations and noise, movement had effect on the life of that couch and it fell apart a month after. grin

I hope you've refurnished the sitting room? That's a little thing to do to show appreciation man.!

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by arabaribiti(m): 9:47pm On Mar 12, 2016
atinicrown:
I was in ss1 at mayflower school,I will ever remember and tell my grand and great grand children.

Waoooo I also watch it at ikenne, I was preparing for my 3rd jamb and I have one calabar girl in mayflower then eliza

Hmmmmmm
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Nobody: 9:53pm On Mar 12, 2016
ismokeweed:
Days of glory. Democracy has never favoured us. We need colonial masters and this country may live again.
We still have colonial masters. They only changed color.
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by mysticwarrior(m): 9:53pm On Mar 12, 2016
The semi final was the match of the tournament, with the brazilians parading the then present and future world class players like Bebeto, Roberto carlos, almighty Ronaldo de lima, Rivaldo, Aldair, and Dida in their team. Flavio took a free kick for the Brazilians which scale through the wall and the force of the shot was too much for the Nigerian goal keeper joseph Dosu and goal it was, Brazil 1 Nigeria 0. with the help of celestine Babayaro who set up a brilliant play leaving the Brazilian defender Roberto Carlos with no option than to put the ball in his own net and it was an own. Brazil 1 Nigeria 1. The Brazilians took the lead When Flavio made it 2 1 following a defensive error from Dosu. The Brazilians double the lead just before half time through USA 94 world cup hero Bebeto and the score line remains Brazil 3 nigeria 1. In the second half the brazilians where faced by a bitter resistance from a vicious and more formidable African side. The brazilian defense continued to soak heavy pressure from the indefatigable African warriors. Nigerian was awarded a penalty kick which saw brazilian goalkeeper saving JJ okocha's penalty 'Oh how I cried'. The Nigerians made two substitution as victor ikpeba and wilson Oruma came in. Daniel Amokachi, JJ okocha and Fatusi continue to terrorize the Brazilian defense, and soon the game took a new dimension when victor Ikpeba detonated a dynamite and it was a superb goal brazil 3 nigeria 2. The game went on and it appeared as if the brazilians were the ones advancing to the final. In the 89 minutes okocha took a throw in for Nigerian and there was a goal mouth scrabble in which Amokachi, fatusi and kanu were all involved, kanu was the last man in front of the brazilian goalkeeper and when the ball got to his position he conned the goalkeeper by playing the ball above him straight into the Brazilian net, 3 3 it was and the the stadium erupted as the soil of every Nigerian city was vibrating, Warri witnessed a thunderous roar and i believe same goes to every city in nigeria. The whole of brazil was thrown into a state of unwanted tranquility as the game proceed into extra time. The underdogs continued to show some spectacular display amidst the tired looking brazilians, a passed was made from a nigerian mid fielder and it hit the back of wilson Oruma, Kanu quickly took advantage of the situation and dribbled 2 Brazilian defenders at the same time before sending the Brazilian goalkeeper the wrong way, Nigeria 4 Brazil 3. History was made and the whole of Africa was thrown into jubilation, from Cairo to Cape town, from Free town to Mogadishu it has never happened before then. Nigeria sank the samba boys of great Brazil by 4goals to 3. It happened 20years ago but its just like yesterday.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by nellybenn: 9:54pm On Mar 12, 2016
LouisVanGaal:
Particularly Senegal vs Turkey in QF

you remember something
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by esq03(m): 9:56pm On Mar 12, 2016
Thanks for sharing this
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by ceedenis: 10:00pm On Mar 12, 2016
atinicrown:

Hmmmmm! I was in mayflower then too but I guess I was in JS 3 . The next day the discussion and description of the goals never ended. Nice to have an old mate around.
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by ceedenis: 10:07pm On Mar 12, 2016
atinicrown:

I was in Mayflower too JS3. It was fun even my house master who was a Ghanaian was happy that day. I had plenty kenke and fish that day.
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by ceedenis: 10:08pm On Mar 12, 2016
atinicrown:

I was in Mayflower too JS3. It was fun even my house master who was from Ghana was happy that day. I had plenty kenke and fish that day.
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Btruth: 10:52pm On Mar 12, 2016
Great memories. Was in Moers in that year.
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by kaylivin(m): 10:58pm On Mar 12, 2016
ismokeweed:
Days of glory. Democracy has never favoured us. We need colonial masters and this country may live again.
u sure smoke weed ..
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by AyamConfidence(m): 12:03am On Mar 13, 2016
I wasnt born then...but i watched the videos...i have always been a Nigeria fan till....well...politics in the NFF ruined our game and right now i dont give a damn about Nigeria football...its embarassing to suport them
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by sleekdot(m): 12:08am On Mar 13, 2016
Before the final match Abacha called the eagles and it was televized live

In that final early in the minutes caudio Lopez scored from a crespo cross

Babayaro equalized off a corner before Ortega sold a penalty when he tangled with Taribo and Crespo buried the penalty early in the second half
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by daveP(m): 12:40am On Mar 13, 2016
isacolukay:

I hope you've refurnished the sitting room? That's a little thing to do to show appreciation man.!
absolutely! 3 days after it fell apart. Haba na.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pogba To Demand £13.65m A Year Deal From Real Madrid / Ozil And Kolasinac To Miss Arsenal's Game At Newcastle Over Security Fears / "No Liverpool Player Can Get Into Real Madrid's Team" - Ex Madrid Coach Claims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.