Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,807 members, 7,905,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 10:18 PM

Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road (979 Views)

Amaechi Searched At Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos (Photos) / Nigerian Army Engineers Reconstruct Bridge Blown Up By Boko Haram / PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by naijatoday: 2:42am On Jul 20, 2009
The Lagos State Government has agreed to reconstruct and expand to four lanes each of the double carriageway to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMA).

Minister of Aviation, Babatunde Omotoba, disclosed this in Port Harcourt at the weekend at the foundation laying of the perimeter fencing of Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa.

Omotoba said the Federal Government would partner the state government for the rehabilitation of the road, which is a major gateway to the nation’s busiest airport.

“With respect to the access road to the airport, we are in very good discussion with the Lagos State Governor, Governor Fashola. And it is at advanced stage. I am sure we are going to be rounding off by the end of this month. Governor Fashola is willing to partner with the Federal Government to construct four-lane roads into the airport and four-lane road out of the airport. We have drafted the agreement; there are some issues there that we are trying to resolve. And Lagos State government is working assiduously and I must commend his effort,” he said.

According to the minister, the Federal Government is doing everything possible to ensure that the rehabilitation of the road commences in earnest once it reached agreement with the state government.

He also said the government was determined to halt the infrastructural decay of the airports in the country, adding that another terminal would be built at the domestic wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport.

“On the issue of infrastructure decay; we want to improve the airports. This is the reason why the Federal Government wants to concession the major airports. I will give you an example, if you look at General Aviation Terminal (GAT), we now have a directive from the Federal Government to build a brand new GAT alongside the MMA2. So on the domestic side very soon we are going to start work on the new terminal. On the international side, we are also speaking to various interested investors who have been coming to express their interest in investing in Lagos airport and building new terminals for us.

“We are going to roll out the road map for the aviation sector very soon which is almost completed. Some of the airports we can’t concession; we will probably give to the state governments. While we will be performing the regulatory and the security functions, the state will be managing the airport. And of course you must have received the information that Sokoto State governor came on air to say that he is very, very interested. The same with Kaduna State government, they are very, very interested, including Rivers State.”

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=149234
Re: Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by Kobojunkie: 2:56am On Jul 20, 2009
About time!!
Re: Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by oyinda3(f): 2:58am On Jul 20, 2009
that's good news
Re: Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by naijatoday: 3:06am On Jul 20, 2009
Is the toll road on airport road going to be handed over to the state government, or is the toll road no long there?
Re: Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by Kobojunkie: 3:08am On Jul 20, 2009
Who knows! Lagos State may be taking over this one too. I mean the governor has proven most wrong in the fact that it has been able to make deals with the federal government in many areas that other states have refused to even reason to do. With the news that the Federal Government will be handing over the fire force to the state to manage, I will not surprised if the state is getting this as well. And sooner or later, it might get more off the federal hands.
Re: Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by puskin: 5:49am On Jul 20, 2009
FG nd roads repair/upgrade/maintenance is all talk nd no action.
I hope they work towards this projects till completion.
Re: Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by Kobojunkie: 6:05am On Jul 20, 2009
puskin:

FG nd roads repair/upgrade/maintenance is all talk nd no action.
I hope they work towards this projects till completion.

We have known that for decades now. It is time States started learning to work around the incompetencies of the FG and Lagos is definitely doing that well. Other states are still whining about the FG as if this is new news.
Re: Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by puskin: 6:31am On Jul 20, 2009
"States learning to work around the incompetencies of the FG"
~I just love that statement~
Re: Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by presido1: 8:12am On Jul 20, 2009
puskin:

"States learning to work around the incompetencies of the FG"
~I just love that statement~
You may love the statement but itz not right. What happends to the Federal Budget for the project?----------------
To some1s account in Swiz or UK. B4 the state can carry out such project, they must surcharge other sector to raise the fund for it.
Remember their is no such budget in the state coffers.
Re: Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by apreshe8: 12:18pm On Jul 20, 2009
That is some good news!!!!!!!
I hope it won't be wishful thinking for me to hope that, the project gets off the ground before the end of the year,

That remark about states learning to work around the incompetencies of the FG, totally iced!!!!!
Re: Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by landis(m): 12:22pm On Jul 20, 2009
Guys, I wont rejoice just yet.

Let us see the road done first.
Re: Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by debosky(m): 12:24pm On Jul 20, 2009
I'm not very optimistic - these verbal comments if not backed up by proper design, contract approvals and mobilisation to site remain just that - comments.
Re: Lagos To Reconstruct, Expand Murtala Muhammed Airport Road by puskin: 5:03pm On Jul 20, 2009
debosky:

I'm not very optimistic - these verbal comments if not backed up by proper design, contract approvals and mobilisation to site remain just that - comments.

Exactly what they are, mere comments

(1) (Reply)

Ibori Acquitted And Discharged Of 170 Count Charge In Asaba, Delta State Yesterday / 234next.com Still Insistent That Yar Adua Is Brain Damaged ! / Dirty Deals Of Farida Waziri Of Efcc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.