Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,894 members, 7,973,053 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 07:14 AM

Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral (3396 Views)

Praying For Someone To Die Is It Biblical? / Should We Be Praying For Our Enemies To Die In Church? / What Is The Difference Praying For Your Enemy To Die In Church Or Shrine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by joseph1832(m): 1:48pm On Mar 13, 2016
Brunel:

His prayer, has gone viral.
1. Greater audience that can potentially help the homeless man.
2. Put a smile on the face of the homeless man........ giving him hope potentially.
3. Gave hope to the Baltimore police officer that not all hope is lost. .......especially seeing the treatment of black young men in Baltimore, this can change the perception of blacks there.
4. Humanity.

Just a few points I think his prayer has done.

Cheers.
All what you guys are saying is just hypothesis. Gosh! Somebody will help him bla bla bla... Why do you people believe so much in abstracts

Did the person who took the picture later say the homeless man smiled? How can one even smile when one is hungry and homeless

Hope, yep! Hope! That thing that many humans love and cherish, forgetting that too much of it is disastrous as well as dangerous.

Humanity, *scoof*
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Nobody: 1:51pm On Mar 13, 2016
MrsPhyno:

Lol. Prayer is not saying "I'm going to do something". Prayer is saying "God, please do something". So your analogy is flawed I think.....

I didn't say that prayer works and I'm not arguing that stance. I said the boy didnt hurt anybody. If we do bad things because we want to, why not "pointless things" such as prayer? It is at least comforting. So you guys can chill, the boy may be overly dramatic but he's not wrong.
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by joseph1832(m): 1:52pm On Mar 13, 2016
MrsPhyno:

Lol. Prayer is not saying "I'm going to do something". Prayer is saying "God, please do something". So your analogy is flawed I think.....

Yep! My analogy is flawed. But tell me, why do you guys pray and ask God to do something for you when God clearly has given you the power to do that very thing yourself?

I didn't say that prayer works and I'm not arguing that stance. I said the boy didnt hurt anybody. If we do bad things because we want to, why not "pointless things" such as prayer? It is at least comforting. So you guys can chill, the boy may be overly dramatic but he's not wrong.
Never forget, we critique the bad things as well as the good things. It works hand in glovehand
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by 4nobody4every1: 1:56pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:
Prayer is great! If you want to feel as if you've helped someone without actually spending your time or money on the person, you can just pray!
cool

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by joseph1832(m): 1:57pm On Mar 13, 2016
MizMyColi:

cheesy
Lol
I'm happy you think of me in that light.
Lol

You see ehn.

We are all creators.
Our thoughts alone creates things.

So what if that boy touched that man as a point of contact and was wishing him all the good he could possibly think of for him at that moment.

When wehear the word "pray"
It evokes some kind of feeling that we are talking to some uninterested distant diety.

Lol

It's not always the case for some of us who pray.
Mizmycoli, you clearly do not understand sarcasm. But you're lovely anyway. grin wink

I see you've been doing some reading about 'Noetic Science' at the emboldened.
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MizMyColi(f): 2:07pm On Mar 13, 2016
joseph1832:
Mizmycoli, you clearly do not understand sarcasm. But you're lovely anyway. grin wink

I see you've been doing some reading about 'Noetic Science' at the emboldened.

Lol
I understand Sarcasm dear.
Some people tell me I'm good at the art.

When I read Seun's post, I didn't see it that way till you called my attention.

I'm guessing it has more to do with my disposition of seeing the positive side of all things.

Wait, now that I read his post again, I'm like grin grin grin "Gosh, which kyn eye I take read am the first time sef" grin grin grin

Lol

Noetic Science?
Never heard the term
Wait, let me ask Google tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 13, 2016
joseph1832:

Yep! My analogy is flawed. But tell me, why do you guys pray and ask God to do something for you when God clearly has given you the power to do that very thing yourself?
Never forget, we critique the bad things as well as the good things. It works hand in glovehand
Lol. I'm not getting into the logistics of prayer,
@bolded, alot of times you pray over things that you can't fix or change yourself.
We don't even know what the boy prayed about so we can't assume.

Critique away, then grin
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by joseph1832(m): 2:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
MrsPhyno:

Lol. I'm not getting into the logistics of prayer,
@bolded, alot of times you pray over things that you can't fix or change yourself.
We don't even know what the boy prayed about so we can't assume.

Critique away, then grin
Now there was this quote I heard in Justice League: The Flash Point Paradox. " Accept the things you cannot change. Have the courage to change the things you can... and have the wisdom to know the difference".

smiley smiley smiley
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by UjSizzle(f): 2:47pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:
I'm sure that many people have prayed quietly for this homeless man as they walked past him. This boy just did it in a more photogenic way.

Actually, it hurts because it gives people the satisfaction of feeling that they have done something to help, whereas they haven't.
Seun Osewa, public prayer or private prayer, his actions will encourage those people who have never said a prayer for the homeless, even in secret, to start now.
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by UjSizzle(f): 2:56pm On Mar 13, 2016
MizMyColi:

This isn't about Christianity Bro.

This is what LIFE and LIVING is all about - LOVE.

When we begin to see others as an extension of ourselves, down to the "maddest man" on your street, planet earth, and our country, - our individual lives would be better for it.

We are not meant to be like God.
We are meant to BE GOD.

That's the only way to end humanity's suffering.
I beg to disagree. It IS about Christianity and like followers of Christ it is about love.
Any other person could have given him food or clothing or shelter, but the young man prayed to a heavenly father-- that makes it an act of love and more important and Christian act of love.

And I doubt we can be God. We are not meant to be God. We are made to be an extension of His love on earth. Becoming or wanting to become God is tantamount to what Lucifer did. It takes away your trust and dependence on his gift and grace and places your means of sustenance in your hands. That is not what Christianity is about.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by winner01(m): 3:14pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:
Prayer is great! If you want to feel as if you've helped someone without actually spending your time or money on the person, you can just pray!
Sincerely, What do you think he should have done for the poor man especially since he had no money?

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MuttleyLaff: 3:28pm On Mar 13, 2016
MizMyColi:
I used to have the impression you're atheist, Seun.
This sure changes the perception
Don't make an impression on a book by its cover

Seun's derision is over the fact that sometimes its good to pray but it necessarily isnt the right thing to do
He feels that doing a good thing (e.g. like the young man's prayer of contact) isnt necessarily a right thing to do

MizMyColi:
It has been scientifically proven that thinking good or bad thoughts towards an issue or an individual has it's consequences
5“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites.
For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others.
Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.
Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

- Matthew 6:5-6

Each to their own level of faith and importantly without aiming to deride, hopefully a young man's sincere gesture and/or honest intention
but in light of Matthew 6:5-6 above, you can see the bugbear or irritation,
see how and why Seun scorns what he perceived to be the young man getting a ''feel-good factor'' for himself

MizMyColi:
Prayer is a communication of our heartfelt thoughts
I'll gravitate to meditation, is more of a communication of our heartfelt thoughts than prayer is

Prayer, in christendom, has become a self centric and glorified give-me-give-me, wish list

MizMyColi:
This isn't about Christianity Bro
True that, its more than a religion

MizMyColi:
This is what LIFE and LIVING is all about - LOVE
This encapsulated comment came out of Luke 10:25-37

MizMyColi:
When we begin to see others as an extension of ourselves, down to the "maddest man" on your street, planet earth, and our country, - our individual lives would be better for it
True that
however individual lives would be better for it through self-government

MizMyColi:
We are not meant to be like God.
We are meant to BE GOD
You are meant to like God and meant ''to be God''

MizMyColi:
That's the only way to end humanity's suffering
When ALL has run its course, thats then when humanity's suffering will end.
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MuttleyLaff: 3:28pm On Mar 13, 2016
MizMyColi:
How do I even begin to convince you guys now that the very action of that boy, which for all we know, might be his widow's mite has sparked a number of reactions both in the physical and spiritual that will get that man off the streets for good, and rehabilitated too?
5“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites.
For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others.
Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.
Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you

- Matthew 6:5-6

Without trying to take away from the young man's, hopefully sincere intention and honest gesture, what he did is a good thing
but necessarily isn't a right thing to do

MizMyColi:
Y'see.
I'm a recipient of the power of prayer and MEDITATION.
Two good valuable tools,
however praying and meditating the right way matters though

MizMyColi:
I have lots of issues with the Christian God
Who is this ''Christian God''?
What is this ''Christian God's'' name?

MizMyColi:
But I believe that we have a source, from which/whom we all proceed
No, you’re not an atheist nor an agnostic
that there is the validation wink wink :-)

MizMyColi:
That boy's act was that of compassion
That compassion could how his level of faith and understanding is
It also could be a spur of the moment thing

MizMyColi:
Supposing I were in his shoes, Permit me to speak like an insensitive person for a bit.

"Do you know what it takes for a clean bae lik me to touch a street man who hasn't bathed for days and for all we know, has Ebola and the likes?"
Lol

It takes compassion and the divine to do so without flinching.

Within these few days, I've seen and perceived enough to know that the physical is not all that there is
When full of grace and power, great wonders and signs (i.e. gestures or actions) are done among people
The policeman apparently was watching
and wondered at what the young's man was kneeling down doing to the lying on the ground motionless destitute

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by asalimpo(m): 4:04pm On Mar 13, 2016
MizMyColi:

I used to have the impression you're atheist, Seun.
This sure changes the perception.

It has been scientifically proven that thinking good or bad thoughts towards an issue or an individual has it's consequences.

Prayer is a communication of our heartfelt thoughts.
Here goes c.rap again...
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MizMyColi(f): 4:04pm On Mar 13, 2016
UjSizzle:

I beg to disagree. It IS about Christianity and like followers of Christ it is about love.
Any other person could have given him food or clothing or shelter, but the young man prayed to a heavenly father-- that makes it an act of love and more important and Christian act of love.

And I doubt we can be God. We are not meant to be God. We are made to be an extension of His love on earth. Becoming or wanting to become God is tantamount to what Lucifer did. It takes away your trust and dependence on his gift and grace and places your means of sustenance in your hands. That is not what Christianity is about.

I agree smiley
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by asalimpo(m): 4:07pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:
This is where hate buttons shine. You know better than to be this sarcastic.
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MizMyColi(f): 4:08pm On Mar 13, 2016
asalimpo:

Here goes c.rap again...

When it comes to religious arguments, I employ maximum avoidance.

Especially the kind that involves passiontely defending an entity or image.

How are you, Asa?
Your moniker sounds female.
smiley
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by analice107: 4:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:
I am not deriding his belief, but suggesting that his prayer does absolutely nothing for the man, so he shouldn't be praised for it.
According to you? Prayer does nothing, but you said Amen to a prayer someone prayed for you in a certain thread.
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Seun(m): 5:12pm On Mar 13, 2016
analice107:
According to you? Prayer does nothing, but you said Amen to a prayer someone prayed for you in a certain thread.
Prayer makes you feel good, knowing that someone wishes you well. But that is not what homeless people need. Homeless people need homes.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by asalimpo(m): 5:24pm On Mar 13, 2016
MizMyColi:

When it comes to religious arguments, I employ maximum avoidance.

Especially the kind that involves passiontely defending an entity or image.

How are you, Asa?
Your moniker sounds female.
smiley
the oestrogen in you makes you non confrontational.
asalimpo is (m).
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MuttleyLaff: 5:40pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:
Prayer makes you feel good, knowing that someone wishes you well
Prayers of intercession, the action of saying a prayer on behalf of another is equally good too
but it is not necessarily always a right thing to do

The jury is out about what the young man prayed for or what the young man's prayer was about

Seun:
But that is not what homeless people need. Homeless people need homes.
In that part of the world, you may be able to get help from a local council if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness

He needed to know his rights on how to resolve the ''homelessness'' problem

However the guy lying motionless on the ground doesnt look like a vagrant or a homeless person to me
but looks more like someone laying there in a drunken stupor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by CoolUsername: 5:45pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:

Not just that, it also makes you feel better than others because you've 'helped' in the best way possible! /s
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:
Prayer makes you feel good, knowing that someone wishes you well. But that is not what homeless people need. Homeless people need homes.

I love your style of atheism, we share much in common!
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MizMyColi(f): 6:58pm On Mar 13, 2016
Seun:

Are you aware that feeling good carries a positive vibrational frequency which usually attracts the good which the universe has to offer?

Have you ever been at a point in your life where it felt like there was no way out, and it was all depressing, and then someone says uplifting words to you (which is also a form of prayer) and then you feel this strength and zeal to forge ahead, and then somehow, doors begin to open unto you?

The book, "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne comes to mind.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MizMyColi(f): 7:07pm On Mar 13, 2016
Only if we become aware of a greater reality which lies within all, a new civilization would be born.

"Where's the proof of this Greater Reality?" you ask.

I offer only an analogy: A battery of scientists can get together and tell you about all the scientific proof for the fact that bananas are bitter. But all you have to do is taste one, once, to realize that there is this whole other aspect to bananas.

Ultimately, proof lies not in intellectual arguments, but in being touched in some way by the sacred within and without. ~ R.D

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 13, 2016
kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MizMyColi(f): 7:09pm On Mar 13, 2016
asalimpo:

the oestrogen in you makes you non confrontational.
asalimpo is (m).

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Your assertion might not be correct.

Are you saying all oestrogenous beings are non-confrontational?
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by asalimpo(m): 7:24pm On Mar 13, 2016
MizMyColi:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Your assertion might not be correct.

Are you saying all oestrogenous beings are non-confrontational?

not all. but that hormone affects your voice and aggressiveness. they're some
angry ladies though but even on a faceless forum like this , you see the ladies
be like ladies in the real world, laid back, complaisant. Not aggressive.
(I'm not trying to be condescending.. )
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MuttleyLaff: 10:51pm On Mar 13, 2016
MizMyColi:
Are you aware that feeling good carries a positive vibrational frequency which usually attracts the good which the universe has to offer?
When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye,
and also desirable for gaining wisdom
(i.e. make good decisions), she took some and ate it.
- Genesis 3:6

Be careful of ''feeling good'' and be suspicious of feel
because its positive vibrational frequency, which usually attracts the ''good'' which the universe has to offer, 9 times out of 10 arent to or cant be trusted

MizMyColi:
Have you ever been at a point in your life where it felt like there was no way out, and it was all depressing, and then someone says uplifting words to you (which is also a form of prayer) and then you feel this strength and zeal to forge ahead, and then somehow, doors begin to open unto you?

The book, "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne comes to mind
MizMyCol, in your humble opinion, who is your greatest teacher?
Who is God over you MizMyCol?

You come across has having a spiritual hunger, you are hungry for spirituality, but choose rather to be fed spiritually by the world,
and so move towards or be attracted to the likes of Rhonda Byrne, Tolle and who next

The thing about Rhonda Byrne's ''The Secret'' is that, it's self centric and devoid of God
also promotes a self-centered faith revolved around a genie rather than a God-centered faith

If you arent rooted and well grounded in the word of God, the likes of Rhonda Byrne's "The Secret", Tolle's ''The Power Of Now'' and whose next, will ''draw you aside'' same way the serpent drew Eve aside

Not everything that glitters is gold. The grass is only greener on the other side of the fence because of the soakaway underneath it

Do not love the world nor the things in the world.
If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world,
the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life,
is not from the Father, but is from the world

- 1 John 2:15-16
Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MuttleyLaff: 10:51pm On Mar 13, 2016
MizMyColi:
Only if we become aware of a greater reality which lies within all, a new civilization would be born.

"Where's the proof of this Greater Reality?" you ask.

I offer only an analogy: A battery of scientists can get together and tell you about all the scientific proof for the fact that bananas are bitter. But all you have to do is taste one, once, to realize that there is this whole other aspect to bananas.

Ultimately, proof lies not in intellectual arguments, but in being touched in some way by the sacred within and without. ~ R.D
What do you expect from R.D?
DiCarlo and Tolle are bedfellows. Arent they?

What is in sokoto, you're looking elsewhere for it, in Sokoto.

Mind you, it is the sense of duty and the purpose found in Colossian 3:9 which tells us not to lie to each other
and also the instructive in Ephesian 4:15 which tells us to speak the truth in love which compels me to be commenting on most of your posts
So, for the record, it is ALWAYS in love that I react and write the truth(s) whenever I counter your submissions or remarks

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Teenager Praying For Homeless Man Goes Viral by MizMyColi(f): 10:59pm On Mar 13, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
What do you expect from R.D?
DiCarlo and Tolle are bedfellows. Arent they?

What is in sokoto, you're looking elsewhere for it, in Sokoto.

Mind you, it is the sense of duty and the purpose found in Colossian 3:9 which tells us not to lie to each other
and also the instructive in Ephesian 4:15 which tells us to speak the truth in love which compels me to be commenting on most of your posts
So, for the record, it is ALWAYS in love that I react and write the truth(s) whenever I counter your submissions or remarks

Thank Yousmiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cloudgoddess's Spiritual Views (part 1? Idk) / Is Jesus Christ Created? / The Lord's Chosen Ministry Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.