Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,350 members, 7,881,294 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:04 PM

Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola (685 Views)

Sex For Appointment Scandal Rocks Presidency - Naij.com / Breaking: Metuh Barred From Seeking Medical Treatment Abroad Dokunola Read More / Atiku's Photo With His Beautiful Daughters To Celebrate Day Of The Girl Child. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola by FemiFimile: 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
Expert speaks with Naij.com on the abduction of the girl-child – Says every child must be taught security consciousness from age 2 – Wants security agencies to carry out awareness programmes too The abduction of the girl-child in has heightened tension in Nigeria in recent weeks. Share on FacebookShare on TwitterEse Oruru was abducted by a hausa man and forced into early marriage. Not that it only just started, especially after over 200 secondary school students were abducted from Chibok about two years ago, but the recent cases of Ese Oruru, the girl kidnapped and taken to Sokoto and three female students of Babington college in Ikorodu have called for urgent attention. Some are asking questions on how safe the girl-child is in the present day society.

While others are wondering if truly the future of the girl-child is guaranteed In this exclusive interview with Naij.com’s Esther Odili, legal practitioner, Oghenovo Ochuko Emore, opens up on the recent kidnap cases, fate of the girl-child in the society, the level of security in Nigeria and other sundry issues With the recent kidnap of Ese Oruru and the Babington College girls, how safe is the girl-child in the society now? I view the abduction of Ese differently from how I view the kidnap of the three girls. Reason is that Ese’s abduction was basically for religious and pedophile intentions. It is an act of defilement and sex slavery. The kidnap of the three girls on the other hand was for monetary reasons. It is enshrined in our constitution that the state is responsible for the safety and security of its citizens; the stake is raised even higher when you bring in vulnerable persons like children.

The girl-child to me is an endangered specie now in this society. So, what do you think about the level of security in Nigeria? The level of security is at its lowest in my opinion. We are dealing with terrorism, now add that to the massacre of land owners by Fulani Herdsmen, then top it up with kidnap and abduction of our vulnerable children; all going on simultaneously. What else could be worse than that? Share on FacebookShare on TwitterAbducted Chibok schoolgirls still yet to return. Why then are the girls the target? Two different scenarios; abduction is done brazenly so far by people known to the victims’ parents and guardians. Usually done to people who are deemed not to have a voice or resources to fight “high class” people. Kidnap on the other hand is done for monetary gain. Usually, children of the well-placed and wealthy people who can afford to pay a ransom for the release of the victims. The girl-child is deemed an easier target for the kidnappers and for the abductors. Girls are perceived as sex slaves. In the event that you have a female child among the kidnapped girls, what would you do? This rings home for me because one of the three girls is actually a friend’s child. As a mother, even if I was told not to be having talks with the kidnappers, my maternal instinct will kick in and I may not obey that order. First, because records of redemption by our police force in cases like this is not encouraging. I will feel it is my battle alone to fight; I may have the common sense to record any conversation with the kidnappers and probably seek the help of network providers to trace the number the kidnappers calls with. Share on FacebookShare on TwitterParents of the kidnapped Chibok secondary school girls. What role should parents, government and security agencies play in protecting the girl-child? I am of the school of thought that the first school for any child is the home. As a parent, it is my responsibility to teach my children, male or female to be security conscious. From as early as age two, I should help establish who strangers are to my children.

Even people familiar to them, they must know there are limits and restrictions. Even people who live with you should not be given an open blanket. An informed child cannot be easily taken advantage of. Even if the domestic help is to take the child out to have his hair cut or made, the child should be told. If the parents do not tell him, he has a right to contest being taken anywhere by someone familiar to him. You would have helped to establish security consciousness in that child from an early age. Security agencies can have jingles played regularly on radio and television with a strong message. Children are very impressionable and remember these things in the face of danger. The school can have security agencies come in from time to time, to do a security orientation program for the students. Like the saying goes, it takes a village to train a child. We should look out for the welfare of children other than our own. Every suspicious movement of an adult with a child should be intercepted and reported promptly. There should be call numbers to report such suspicious movements. The child welfare departments should be alive to their responsibilities to such calls. If possible, the establishment of certain agencies to deal specifically with abduction and kidnap of children should be carried out. Naij.com Home Page
Read more: https://www.naij.com/760016-must-read-kidnappers-target-girl-child.html
Re: Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola by Tunami(m): 2:03pm On Mar 13, 2016
ok.
Re: Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola by donjazzydon: 2:48pm On Mar 13, 2016
God will punish Nigeria for all this evil deed.
Re: Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola by waternogeteneny: 3:29pm On Mar 13, 2016
Naij just keep disappointing.
Re: Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola by FemiFimile: 4:48pm On Mar 13, 2016
Tunami:
ok.

if na ur daughter, will u say that?
Re: Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola by Tunami(m): 4:50pm On Mar 13, 2016
FemiFimile:

if na ur daughter, will u say that?
make i cry? Abi u want drink panadol for another person headache?
Re: Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola by FemiFimile: 4:52pm On Mar 13, 2016
Tunami:
make i cry? Abi u want drink panadol for another person headache?

This is a national issue. Na wen dem carry ur daughter u go get sense?
Re: Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola by resty4(m): 5:02pm On Mar 13, 2016
Some kidnap 4 ransom bt most disturbg is when ppl abduct forcifully r@pe n convert 2 islam. Why does sharia courts n emir n sultan always get mentned in all such cases? I'm force 2 beliv islam lay a gd foundatn 4 such treachery 2 thrive.
Why r other religns not involved like christainity,budhism,hudism even satanism, why?
Re: Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola by Tunami(m): 5:27pm On Mar 13, 2016
FemiFimile:

This is a national issue. Na wen dem carry ur daughter u go get sense?
go and tell ur presido.
Re: Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola by FemiFimile: 5:32pm On Mar 13, 2016
Tunami:
go and tell ur presido.

U get presido? na him pikin dey miss?
Re: Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola by Tunami(m): 6:07pm On Mar 13, 2016
FemiFimile:

U get presido? na him pikin dey miss?
wetin u wnt make i talk na? Oya go tell sanusi
Re: Naij Exclusive: Why The Girl-child Is Abductors' Target - Expert Dokunola by donjazzydon: 7:32pm On Mar 13, 2016
resty4:
Some kidnap 4 ransom bt most disturbg is when ppl abduct forcifully r@pe n convert 2 islam. Why does sharia courts n emir n sultan always get mentned in all such cases? I'm force 2 beliv islam lay a gd foundatn 4 such treachery 2 thrive.
Why r other religns not involved like christainity,budhism,hudism even satanism, why?

That is just the truth.

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Should ‘behave’, Says Judge. The Cable. / Ganduje: We’re Ready To Fight Buhari’s Enemies / Channels News Why Show Tinubu's Wife Before Showing Saraki Trial Case.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.