Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,767 members, 7,875,924 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:22 AM

DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. (33227 Views)

Checkout Made In Aba Products Made By Local Manufacturers (photos) / Nigeria Breweries To Intensify Local Raw Materials Sourcing For Improved Earning / Enugu Residents Shift Patronage To Local Rice - The Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by AreaFada2: 6:18am On Mar 14, 2016
tushbobo:
Local materials can be developed into international standards.

Problem is it's very expensive producing raw material locally.

Import is partly fuelled by that.

You can get rice more easily from abroad than producing locally. That's how Ghanaian rice producers were driven out of business by American rice flooding the market.

Getting everything locally can be unreliable and not really cheaper.

There must be a plan in place to encourage local raw material production/use. Not one arising a draconian regulation.

When GEJ touted cassava bread, people were laughing. Whereas cassava is something we really have a lot of. Relatively cheap to produce.
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by jjman2322: 6:43am On Mar 14, 2016
bunch of idiots.. we manufacture drugs.. good luck producing ampicillin or metronidazole powder here.. lmao jokers..

only about 0.00001% of raw materials needed can be made here in Nigeria.. We are deceiving ourselves if we think otherwise..
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by ipreach: 6:47am On Mar 14, 2016
good one
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by kuuljay(m): 6:50am On Mar 14, 2016
I think I should look at how to manufacture tooth pick before some body beat me to it!!!!
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by don4real18(m): 6:50am On Mar 14, 2016
abumeinben:

But somebody recently imported grass from Brazil to feed cows. And then the cows be like...we feed on foreign legumes grin
To feed? It's better you read the news again and understand it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by callJesu: 7:13am On Mar 14, 2016
Dollar please bow before naira
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by Raskasal(m): 7:16am On Mar 14, 2016
Nigerians are just crazy with importation. Imagine all these raw materials existed long ago, but they never opted for it. I think it's time we need to develop our local content, which I see as a major vision of the present government. Together we all suffer it one or the other,but no matter how long the night might be, the dawn must surely come. Patience is all we need

2 Likes

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by tiny78(m): 7:27am On Mar 14, 2016
nice
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by Nobody: 7:28am On Mar 14, 2016
DaFlash:
F...U...C...K DOLLAR

SAI BABA cool cool cool
.........Gbammm! cool
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by Nobody: 7:30am On Mar 14, 2016
softtouch2:
Good move.
Better for us to learn fast, so that we won't become like Greece. Greece was once a very rich country. She was importing everything, until she became bankrupt.
......Gidi Gbammm! cool
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by modath(f): 7:38am On Mar 14, 2016
ChoCandyDiamond:
It is unfortunate that Apc government like to play politics with everything, I pity those dancing for this fraud, Nigeria and Africa as a whole is import dependent, you cant build a country by chasing shadows as APC government is doing, Industrialization of country cant happen when a country is divided along ethnic lines and hatred for one another, 90% of product used in Nigeria will remain imported for the next 50 years in Nigeria, The world have few export dependent countries like Germany, US, China and Japan. For a country to grow, you must allow market forces to determine your currency value at the market, the current fixing of naira against dollar will back fire, NIGERIANS is already filling the pinch, high inflation, poverty, lack of proper health facilities, Africa must import Agricultural Tools, Industrial machineries, Drugs, Hospital equipment,machine and motor parts, industrial chemicals, Office materials, Kitchen intensils, Electronics, Building machineries,electrical appliances etc. Even Uk depend on Germany for supply of all this, you cant become self productive overnight, Africa, South America, most part of Asia, Some parts North America dont have the technology and you cant get the technology based on APC propaganda

Nigeria does not have the technology but slowly but surely, with the restriction on imports, we will be forced to look inwards since we don't want to willingly do it...

BTW, the underlying issue is that we know your type, those whose relatives & livelihood are import proceeds dependent, the status quo is what you prefer.... however, the advise is that, get with the programme....

@ obailala .

Please don't flog a dead horse, they have a fixed POV & are not willing to deviate

I gave up on trying to argue or talk sense into these people when someone offline told me the reason PMB is making importation difficult is cos he wants to hurt his region who are the known major importers of commodities..

That he is trying to decimate them economically because they didn't support him. sad

3 Likes

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by topsonjto(m): 7:39am On Mar 14, 2016
common sense is not common.......it's high time we started patronizing our locals...
God bless Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by Onegai(f): 8:08am On Mar 14, 2016
ChoCandyDiamond:
It is unfortunate that Apc government like to play politics with everything, I pity those dancing for this fraud, Nigeria and Africa as a whole is import dependent, you cant build a country by chasing shadows as APC government is doing, Industrialization of country cant happen when a country is divided along ethnic lines and hatred for one another, 90% of product used in Nigeria will remain imported for the next 50 years in Nigeria, The world have few export dependent countries like Germany, US, China and Japan. For a country to grow, you must allow market forces to determine your currency value at the market, the current fixing of naira against dollar will back fire, NIGERIANS is already filling the pinch, high inflation, poverty, lack of proper health facilities, Africa must import Agricultural Tools, Industrial machineries, Drugs, Hospital equipment,machine and motor parts, industrial chemicals, Office materials, Kitchen intensils, Electronics, Building machineries,electrical appliances etc. Even Uk depend on Germany for supply of all this, you cant become self productive overnight, Africa, South America, most part of Asia, Some parts North America dont have the technology and you cant get the technology based on APC propaganda

Yes Africa needs to import technology (for now) but Africa does not need to import office materials like furniture, paper, pencils etc. Which we do (importing paper from India pathetically). Africa does not need to import locally-grown foodstuffs (I weep inwardly everytime I see imported potatoes and garlic sold proudly at Shoprite, even pineapples and bananas come from across the border). Africa does not need to import leather goods (but which girl out there isn't carrying a cheap Chinese handbag or which guy isn't wearing Chinese shoes and clothes).

That America you called, do you know their mothers rallied around the maker's of organic baby products and proudly support and buy the Made-In-America ones even though there are cheaper Chinese options available? Are Nigerians doing that yet or are they still not wailing that they don't have access to their imported goods? Until we start being patriotic and willingly looking to buy a Nigerian option before an import (if it exists), we are going to continue in this news for a long, long time.

I'm no supporter of APC or PDP but I believe charity begins at home.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by Nobody: 8:09am On Mar 14, 2016
dason4life:
Nice move but it won't solve the problem for those in the Technology World.
INNOSON don't produce computer chips
Innoson isn't a computer manufacturer...and we have the manpower, the resources, the finances to produce and research into more powerful "chips" only that we always treasure *made NOT in Nigeria goods*

How is South Korea better than Nigeria? But they snuffed corruption out, imported technology, developed and empower themselves AND ever since they've producing a lot, including automobiles (kia, hyundai etc), electronics (samsung, LG, daewood, etc).

The same with India...

Good policies, enabling environment, reorientations, iron hand, initial sufferness among others is what we need. Most of those products are not rocket science, even if it is, Nigerians are present/involved in every groundbreaking (albeit negative) researches/companies/pursuits all over the world.

1 Like

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 14, 2016
But 100% of the goods we use in nigeria are made in China na.Do we still need dollars to purchase those goods or the yen?
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by kumuyi1991(m): 8:17am On Mar 14, 2016
i support buhari on this one let then stop importing
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by akyus(m): 8:24am On Mar 14, 2016
That's very good. Soon, these manufactures will begin to see the importance of funding research that aims to improve the qualitity local materials.
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by HighKing01(m): 8:25am On Mar 14, 2016
You a chain agent with eyes at the back of ur dumb skull, readjusting to economy failure, fuel scarcity, electricity reduced to 1000megawatt, dollar @ its highest, instead of job employments we get company downsize, mediocre i advice u Stop decieving urself dat dey have things worked out wen his latest hobby is flying around the world like a celebrity going for performance #wakeupzombie!!!!

gbengaizzHe:

Certified Enemy of progress. But wah I don't understand is why you choose to hate on your own country.. my son don't be foolish! The elites Re adjusting, if u like stay Der and remain a mediocre

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by pjecly: 8:26am On Mar 14, 2016
Alhamdulilah!!!

SANITY IS BEING RESTORED GRADUALLY INTO NIGERIAN SYSTEM.

IT TAKESNPAINS AND AGONY TO BE A MAN. BUT AT THE END THE STORY SHALL BE A"CHANGE"

THANK GOD FOR YOUR FAVOUR.

LETS ALL SUPPORT OUR PRESIDENT'S STEADFASTNESS AND STRONGWILL.

GOD BLESS MY COUNTRY!!!

1 Like

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by gbengaizzHe: 8:33am On Mar 14, 2016
HighKing01:
You a chain agent with eyes at the back of ur dumb skull, readjusting to economy failure, fuel scarcity, electricity reduced to 1000megawatt, dollar @ its highest, instead of job employments we get company downsize, mediocre i advice u Stop decieving urself dat dey have things worked out wen his latest hobby is flying around the world like a celebrity going for performance #wakeupzombie!!!!

Good Morning bro! I sight your foolishness.. fresh as d dew.

1 Like

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by aleshsenior2000(m): 8:37am On Mar 14, 2016
If all things been equal. It will definitely work out.
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by kunle75(m): 8:45am On Mar 14, 2016
modath:
The possibillity of a country that is solely & wholly import dependent to ever aspire to be a great nation is between zero & zilch......

Convulsing, cursing, crying..etc won't stop this present administration from weaning Nigerians off that state of mind, sooner people get with the programme , adjust accordingly & take the hard times in their stride the better... cool

*caveat*.. everyone can feel the heat but one's attitude will make one see things either half empty or half full!!

Your submission are very apt........................i can read through the mind of this present govt its tougher to change peoples mentality but we are getting there.

1 Like

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by kunle75(m): 8:46am On Mar 14, 2016
HighKing01:

Another hater on the loose......

1 Like

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by sweetgala(m): 8:56am On Mar 14, 2016
dason4life:

It's time they looked inwards, the Igbo are meant to be brilliant nand resilient. I would have also expected that he can import some of the material and assemble the rest using locally made metal and cabling.
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by donodion(m): 8:56am On Mar 14, 2016
slimfit1:
Common sense is kicking in finally. How did we let our lives depend on foreign things and these people ban our product or avoid it when we export. However, brave decision by this government the right one as well.

Nigerians dont need kids gloves, you handle then with iron hand...hehehehehehe sourcing for local materials.. by fire by thunder...hehehehehe gringringringringrin

1 Like

Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by 4four(m): 9:02am On Mar 14, 2016
dason4life:
but Nigeria have capability to produce dt chips make them jst look inward
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by kay29000(m): 9:02am On Mar 14, 2016
modath:
The possibillity of a country that is solely & wholly import dependent to ever aspire to be a great nation is between zero & zilch......

Convulsing, cursing, crying..etc won't stop this present administration from weaning Nigerians off that state of mind, sooner people get with the programme , adjust accordingly & take the hard times in their stride the better... cool

*caveat*.. everyone can feel the heat but one's attitude will make one see things either half empty or half full!!

In DJ Khaled's voice "Its another one." Great comment from an intelligent and unbiased mind.
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by 4four(m): 9:18am On Mar 14, 2016
HighKing01:

my brother just read about China evolution and how they become what they re today
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by capnies: 9:19am On Mar 14, 2016
unfounded stats why compare 2014 to 2016 the growth if any could have been 2015 a foundation laid in 2014 u need to wait until 2017 to talk about 2016 people have not even woken up from the shock of the present situation to talk of growth stop that prop
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by HighKing01(m): 9:19am On Mar 14, 2016
Okay zombie hope u stick 2 corrections

gbengaizzHe:

Good Morning bro! I sight my foolishness.. fresh as d dew.
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by HighKing01(m): 9:22am On Mar 14, 2016
I did dat b4 u were born, but did u also ask how many years dey practiced it

4four:
my brother just read about China evolution and how they become what they re today
Re: DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. by nothingspoil70: 9:23am On Mar 14, 2016
obailala:
It is an emergency situation and in emergencies, people improvise to survive. The manufacturers are improvising to survive and it is indeed a good thing.

Furthermore, Buhari did not put any cart before any horse, he isnt the one who didnt diversify our economy, he isnt the one who crashed global oil prices and he isnt the one who led Nigeria into its present economic woes where we are currently having a negative balance of trade. In view of the present circumstances, the restrictions on forex is an inevitable move aimed at saving Nigeria from an impending collapse due to the negative balance of trade. Go and read about what is happening to nations like Greece or Venezuela and you will not jump into the same boat with the mass of ignorant/prejudiced critics who think Buhari or the CBN are being silly or are being the villains by restricting the distribution of forex.
Thanks for this intelligent reply to the dullatd above

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote Appoint Daughter As Head Of Tiger Brands Formely Dangote Flour Mills(pic / Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 / The Get Rich Quick Syndrome In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.