Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,076 members, 7,970,299 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 06:13 AM

[Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? (8283 Views)

Poll: Who would you pick as the African Footballer of the Year?

Eto'o: 29% (18 votes)
Drogba: 45% (28 votes)
Essien: 6% (4 votes)
Kanu: 18% (11 votes)
Other: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Enyeama, Musa Shortlisted For African Footballer Of The Year Award / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 / Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by kitaun(m): 12:10pm On Nov 12, 2006
@Jackal

Tosin a blue? I am also a Chelskite then?

I beg to say your own love for Barca has so beclouded your sense of judgement!

Jackal, Jackal, Jackal, HOW MANY TIMES DID I CALL YOU?

Why put sentiments into this issue, Drogba deserves this title, if only you would but admit it, oh that reminds me did u not create that 'SUPERDROGS' thread to acknowldge the fact that this guy has had a fine run of form and my dear Jackal, i want to know which of the two players contribute more in totality to the club's game

Are you saying Drogba played zilch from January to September? even at that tell me in the past few months which striker has scored more goals than Drogba whether at the home league or Continental level? cheesy

You probably want to overbloat Etoo cos Barca feels so empty because of his absence but meeeeeen give it to Drogba, even i dislike him as a person but he has become something else, his touch, his use of the head , chest control and his poaching skills cool

Etoo has had his fair share of the awards having won it thrice and do you want to tell me no other player deserves a look in? Do the European awards get dominated like that by a single person? cool
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by hustler(m): 12:18pm On Nov 12, 2006
Eto'o's injury could ruin his chances.Didier has stepped up his game to the next level since the arrival of Sheva, I think he'll win it.

Internationaly speakin too, who saw the friendly between Italy and ivory coast prior to the World cup.

Drogba was just unstoppable in that game.the best performance i've seen from him and he scored a spectacular goal too, Not all these hat-tricks against yeye teams,
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by tosinadeda: 12:24pm On Nov 12, 2006
Dnt get it twisted jackal

am a

G U N N E R

L I F E

@radiant

every sane person would see my point clearly
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by Jackal(m): 12:47pm On Nov 12, 2006
Drogba has stepped up his game, no doubt.
Improvement does not necessarily mean Drogba has matched Etoo's class.
He is still following Etoo's foot-steps to become a true African legend.

I launched a thread on Drogba to acknowledge his new-improved rhythm but he needs to do more.
Let him win the Prem's golden boot, win UEFA champions league medal and then maybe i can begin to page him with Etoo.
Until then, Drogba is just another Andy Johnson or Darren Bent(flash in a fucking pan).

@ hustler,
Injury means nuthing.
Luiz Ronaldo's contributions in 2002 was just the fact that he scored 8 goals @ the world cup.
Injury couldn't let him play for many months in 2002 but he still won the world footballer of the year award.
Just one tournament.
Compare that to African Nations cup golden boot, La Liga golden boot, La Liga title and UEFA champions league title(All in 2006)
Do u think Drogba's credentials can match all these achievements?
You do the math.

@ Tosinadeda,
Drogba has a chance to win it in 2007 but def'ly not this year.
Awards are not decided on what a player achieves with Chelsea in only 2 months.
Remember, Drogba is yet to win anything yet apart from the Prem title where Lampard(a midfielder) was the club's highest goal scorer.
What does that say about Drog?
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by Radiant(f): 12:49pm On Nov 12, 2006
Further arguements with you guys will be like nursing an unbron child.

Eto'o is way better than Drogba! If only he was in form, then I wouldn't even bother replyin u guys again.
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by hustler(m): 1:18pm On Nov 12, 2006
@ Radiant

Of course every one knows Samuel eto'o is better than Didier by far.

but in respect of this yr of football i just think with the politics of CAF didier might just nick it.
Tho i don't consider that he's done it in a league as the same standard as eto'o's but at an internatiuonal level and considering the start of the season accounts for a large portion of how votes will swing, i just feel drogba will be CAF player but don't feel he is better than Eto'o

it will be close anyway.
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by Radiant(f): 1:30pm On Nov 12, 2006
If Sam was in form and doing what he does best, would you say what you just said?

Why don't you compare Eto'o and Drogba from what they played since this 2006 until my boy Eto'o sustained his injury?

ETO'O A TUTTI !!!
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by hustler(m): 1:52pm On Nov 12, 2006
Radiant:

If Sam was in form and doing what he does best, would you say what you just said?

Why don't you compare Eto'o and Drogba from what they played since this 2006 until my boy Eto'o sustained his injury?

ETO'O A TUTTI !!!

of course not.But he's not available to continue the good work he started since the beginning of the yr.

And when u look at drogba's rich vein of form at the moment albeit in an inferior league(lol).

And knowin CAF for the way their votes are put down the start of the new season counts a lot.We all remember what happened to Okocha 2 yrs ago when he was player of the tournament at the AFCON and played very well for Bolton at the second half of the season only to lose out to eto'o who had a brilliant start to the next season.

Don't get me wrong tho.On the whole, Eto'o is a better player.

let's wait and see sha,
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by Radiant(f): 1:59pm On Nov 12, 2006
hustler:

let's wait and see sha,

Better!
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by IroroRoyal(f): 6:39am On Nov 13, 2006
Prince Samuel Eto'o Fils cool cool or Papilo tongue tongue
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by kitaun(m): 7:08am On Nov 13, 2006
Didier Zokora
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by candylips(m): 1:16pm On Nov 14, 2006
kitaun:

Didier Zokora

The guy is just an average midfielder
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by Damy(m): 2:40pm On Nov 14, 2006
[/size]African Footballer Of The Year - [size=8pt]Eto'o[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][/color], Drogba, Essien, Kanu?

Eto fits it again even with injures.

i still like him, He playz football on-like drogba pushing agressive local game only goalz plz Bercelona fanz tell them Sameul Eto fils is capable.
thanks

4rm Damy.

[color=#990000] Barca4ever

Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by Damy(m): 2:52pm On Nov 14, 2006
Eto needs it plz Guyz[size=8pt][/size][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Barce4ever

Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by kitaun(m): 6:14pm On Nov 14, 2006
candylips:

The guy is just an average midfielder

@Candylips

Did you call Didier Zokora an average midfielder? you must be joking!!

That guy would one day become African best player, best believe me.

I was just joking mentioning his name anyway just as aside but for u to say that about him, what do you watch? tongue undecided
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by candylips(m): 7:31pm On Nov 14, 2006
ok i agree he has been superb for tottenham this season. I hope he can maintain the tempo.

It is always very difficult for midfielders to win the award. Except you are an Okocha or Abedi smiley
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by fentuo: 7:56pm On Nov 20, 2006
;Du guys seem very boring.any way,is any of u goin to vote?those goin to vote are already predicting essien as the next winner of the trophy.can any of u tell me which of those players is better than essien.do u watch,read and listen to player ratings?essien has been toping the list after every single match.if u care to know,he is the highest rated player in chelsea today.u can check on www.skysports.com kiss,cfc.co.uk.uhuuuuuh!!!cuz u dont want ghanaman to win.as for kanu,he should better retire.there are alot of young players in nigeria.i hear he bowed to abedi pele last two weeks.is it true.drogba is good but not like essien.GO GO GO GO GO essien, it's ya time to win, angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by kitaun(m): 11:59pm On Nov 20, 2006
Hmm! Na wah o!
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by candylips(m): 2:50am On Nov 21, 2006
maybe the guy na ghana man so he is supporting essien.

but seriously that name essien na calabar name na. i still dont know how he came to be a ghanian.

just curious though.
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by amodu(m): 8:48am On Nov 21, 2006
Drogba deserve it.
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by amoke115: 8:56am On Nov 21, 2006
Definitely it would be as tight as it was last year, Drogba has this primarily due to Eto's injury, Essien is also a very hot contender for the title
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by PDF: 12:49pm On Nov 22, 2006
Cameroon's Samuel Eto'o was named FifPro's African Footballer of the Year at an awards ceremony in Algeria yesterday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/6169906.stm .

If the Union of African Football players (UAF) feel Eto'o should take the award, do u think Drogba's got a chance to claim the CAF award?
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by Oremi: 12:59pm On Nov 22, 2006
I think the decision of the Union of African Footballer will not prevent Drogba from winning the African Footballer of the year award. I'm a stoich Barca fan & ordinarily would have prayed against Drogba, but to be frank with you, Drogba is outstanding now than any African player including my Eto'o. Please I advised that CAF should preach excellence.
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by kitaun(m): 1:22pm On Nov 22, 2006
CAF awards would be taking place on Jan 18th and that makes Drogba to be in a pole position to win especially if he performs well enuff in December
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by justkunmi(m): 1:44pm On Nov 22, 2006
shocked
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by kitaun(m): 12:43am On Nov 23, 2006
So for how long is D D going to be out? Lol, some people can be plain myopic, i remember saying someday Drogba might get injured and 1st thing d person replied was he is stronger than Etoo and he knows how to avoid injuries, pls can someone tell me who is above injury in the footie game?
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by amodu(m): 8:58am On Nov 23, 2006
No one, may be the guy is joking.
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by sil(m): 9:22am On Nov 23, 2006
Kanu
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by amodu(m): 10:11am On Nov 23, 2006
I prefer Kanu for Eto'o
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by PDF: 5:05pm On Nov 23, 2006
All four nominated above were among the five finalists named by CAF for the African Footballer of Year 2006. The fifth player in the list is Egypt international Mohamed Aboutrika who helped Al Ahli defend their title earlier this month.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=393437&cc=5739

Once again, Eto'o has been tipped to retain his title as the king.
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by amodu(m): 5:15pm On Nov 23, 2006
I dont see Eto retaining the award when he is not the only African footballer doing well in their respective club.
Re: [Poll] African Footballer Of The Year - Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Kanu? by mcgboye(m): 5:21pm On Nov 23, 2006
I think Drogba wil just nick it,but come to think of it,are those guys@CAF nuts? Whats kanu doing on d list?fredie kanoute won d Uefa & Super cups, is currently d Pichichi in la liga. This shortlist doesnt make sense,it doesnt add up at all. Real madrid for ever.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Beat Benin 3-0 (WAFU U20 Women's Championships) / Counting On Mikel To Be A Messi- Segun Odegbami / CAF WCL: :Bayelsa Queens Defeat Simba SC Women 1- 0 To Win Bronze medal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.