Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,230 members, 7,913,504 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 08:19 AM

How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? (983 Views)

How Does It Feel To Be Back To Work? / Nairaland Members That Should Be Banned? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by lastpage: 10:52pm On Jul 20, 2009
Hi folks,
I joined Nairaland not too long ago. My wife actually brought me down here sad
My associations hitherto with Nigeria-focused sites, had been with the likes of  SaharaReporters, VillageSquare and Nigeria.com (before they went-off-air, just about a week to the 2007 elections! only to return now.)

I thought l was doing my civil-best and so it was a rude shock for me to just discover that l was banned, aftertaking a time and effort to do a reply, to two very interesting topics, that evening.
The Topics in question were the Landlord/Tenant palaver of "Advance rent, viz-a-viz the pending legislation.

The other topic was the aftermath of the warning given to MEND, not to stage their attacks in Lagos, by the Chief Security Officer of the state, Guv. Fashola (we all knew that thread brought out all "the good, the bad and the ugly, in everyone concerned, not to talk of the "tribal posturings"  grin

So, l was enjoying reading others while making my own contribution, only to be slapped a ban!

No explanation was given for the ban,  and there was even this "insulting hint" that whoever issued the ban was not very sure of what he or she was doing (We're sorry if the ban was a mistake! Thought you should know before issuing a ban) , Or was it "a machine" that was trifling with me? 

I've gone through the "RULES" carefully and l could still not find what my offense was and since the civilized line of action is to let an accuse know his/her offense before sentencing and punishment", this kind of "Justice" smells more like an "abuse of power" to me. I stand to be corrected on that.

I do understand that Nairaland is a "private entity" but for Christ sake, what would Nairaland be, without contributors like us?, Just another private blog begging for attention!

I am very disappointed, to put it mildly!

I could have registered under another 'handle' but l felt that would be like trying to "dodge a punishment" (if l truly deserve it!) so l decided to "serve-out my punishment" but having "gone to jail"  grin and come back, l am "seeking redress" by asking for answers to the following questions, from "Seun":

1. Wrong accusation: What exactly did l do wrong and why was it not explicitly stated?
2. Why was there no "warning and grace period", assuming l did something wrong; maybe by "P.M" since "Site admin" has access to our private E-mails?
3. Why was there no "avenue for me to challenge that ban, if l feel it is unfair"?
4. Is this a proper and fair way to treat fellow Nigerians who contribute to the "success of this site"?

I have read my posts on this site and by and large, responses to them have been better, positive and on the upper scale, for a public forum where "anonymous lynching" is two-for-ten  cents! No where did l intentionally or otherwise, post SPAM, and to think it took four days for the "posting privilege" to be returned, even without a word as to "why" the ban was imposed?

Have you been banned before? How did you feel afterwards? Lets hear your views too.

The bottom line is that l hope my thread sheds more light on the need to be "accountable and transparent" while administering "public justice".
I also hope this will highlight the need for proper mechanisms to be put in place to address "forum violations, rather than being at the whims and caprices of "absolute power".

I am someone that enjoys 'writing for recreation' and do have over five hundred published articles in local Newsprint and online media, including those mentioned above and some foreign ones like the BBC and not for once have l been subjected to such harsh treatment, so, you can "feel me"? I wish l have another avenue to take this up with "Seun" but l cant find any "P.M" button around here!

I rest my case.

Thank you,

Lastpage.

Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by lastpage: 4:35pm On Jul 21, 2009
As an addendum,
l read that it is one "Auto-bot" that issues these bans, as many people have fallen victim!
Me thinks "Man should rule machine, and not the other way round"!!

It is quite demotivating to be randomly banned by some improperly tuned software, and to blame it on the software

Lastpage
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 23, 2009
Are you tryin to say that the spam bot is a malware for randomly banning you or that twas an okrika?

The problem is that, that software is having problems with coping with nigerians, lemme give you an
instance:
Nairaland is about the only forum online i have seen that a statement like "sharrap your maut dia"
is considered perfectly normal, plus some of our strange vocabs like "oloshi" and all that stuff. . .so it
is not surprising why people get "banned randomly" 'cos they are stressing the anti-spam bot . . . .
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by lastpage: 11:43pm On Jul 23, 2009
dhtml! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Wadaya-mean? calling our dear spambot "Okrika"! mind ya sef o shocked

Curiously, there was this thread where nudity to the extreme was posted!, and dear spambot just "smiled" and wave them on!
I mean real explicit "naked photograph" of the male and female Instruments, and it is still there as l write now!

Hmmm, Seun must abandon dis his "ibo-made" spambot and buy a correct "Yhorobah-made", from Oshodi shocked shocked shocked

Cheers.

Lastpage
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jul 23, 2009
Curiously, there was this thread where nudity to the extreme was posted!, and dear spambot just "smiled" and wave them on!

nudity sells.

Long posts dont.

Spambot is bizness savvy.

lol
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by lastpage: 12:11am On Jul 24, 2009
""Wize Tok"? grin
What about "Short & meaningless" Post? wink

Spambot is a "partial illiterate"! grin

lol
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by Nobody: 5:54am On Jul 24, 2009
The spam bot is literate jor, but it cannot read picshures - i guess that is why we have a moderator for the board
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by lastpage: 3:56pm On Jul 24, 2009
but it cannot read picshures

Heh, heh, heee grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by dani1luv: 6:22pm On Jul 24, 2009
kpele
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by lastpage: 8:42pm On Jul 24, 2009
Thank you jare.
Be like say that spambot go soon carry "Hammer"! grin
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by sley4life(m): 11:27pm On Jul 24, 2009
bad
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by MrCrackles(m): 1:41am On Jul 25, 2009
LOLz grin
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by Gabry(f): 4:15am On Jul 25, 2009
Im use to getting banned so I dont feel a thing wink smiley
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by dominique(f): 3:08pm On Jul 25, 2009
the one and only time it happened to me was when i was replying a scam poster in the healthy section. . . i was like wha tha the spam bot palava can be very demoralising especially for newbies.
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by jamace(m): 6:38pm On Jul 25, 2009
Chei! I have just been banned for only 10 mins, because my posting privileges have been restored. Hmmm. Na wa o. grin
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by dominique(f): 3:29pm On Jul 27, 2009
welcome to da club cheesy
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by lastpage: 3:55am On Jul 28, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin tongue tongue

I welcome u with both legs!
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by Gabry(f): 5:51am On Jul 28, 2009
I no want your chicken legs ooo shocked tongue
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by lastpage: 11:21pm On Jul 28, 2009
cry sad shocked
tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by jamace(m): 11:23am On Jul 29, 2009
welcome to da club

Thanks o jare. Not a nice idea to be banned, I tell you. grin
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by lastpage: 12:52am On Jul 30, 2009
"Gabry" mind ya sef o!
Dis lufly legs wey l dey look so?
Dis one na "look and follow me"! Sweet sweexteen grin

Come try me make we see, wink wink

Lastpage
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by Gabry(f): 6:15am On Jul 30, 2009
LOL! Ok ooo. . . So if its not chicken legs, shall it be turkey legs than? grin tongue
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by dani1luv: 11:30am On Jul 30, 2009
Now this thread has gone offtopic undecided
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by mamag3: 12:51am On Jul 31, 2009
[color=Black][/color]

It feels Sad.
Re: How Does It Feel To Be "banned" ? by tpia5: 2:41am On Dec 31, 2012
this long story over a ban?

get a life. undecided

(1) (Reply)

4 Ur Branding Of T-shirts, Polo Shirts And Sewing Of All Kind Shirts / Bk.babe97y: Welcome Back Modapoker! / Who Hacked Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.