Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,856 members, 7,879,615 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 11:28 PM

Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? (6102 Views)

Poll: Should Nigeria Divide or Be United Forever?

For division: 69% (48 votes)
Against division: 30% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

(Video) Breaking News: Nigeria Should Divide -pastor Oyedepo / Referendum:nigeria Should Divide Or Remain?...cast Your Vote Now! / How Nigerians Should Divide By The Country - Man - O - War! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by sley4life(m): 4:06am On Jul 22, 2009
lets divide & go our seperate ways. If we are united and the govt are playing pranks then its equal to zero
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Uchebobo: 2:25pm On Jul 22, 2009
sley4life:

lets divide & go our seperate ways. If we are united and the govt are playing pranks then its equal to zero

What’s left to divide?
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Eziachi: 2:29pm On Jul 22, 2009
asha 80:

I think switzerland has german,french and italian people inrelation to what you said about french and germans living together.

Well I don't want to go into the history booksbut if you care to check, Swizerland's history dates back as old as anyone else in Europe and at least 80% speak German like the those found in Austria and are indigeneous people. But their are spars of few that speak French etc largely due to migration and nothing else. And not as a result of any colonial unification or forced marriage as obtain in Nigeria.
At least before 1914 an Igboman, Efik or Ijo (Ijaw) probably) had little or no contact whatsoever with Fulani or Hausas more than they had with the Ndebeles across in Cameroon. The northern Nigeria has more things in common with those in Chad, Mauritania etc than those in Southern Nigeria till today.
That is why a Chadian can live and work in the north as free as he can but a southerner  is still called a non indegine anywhere in the north and can be identified 2 miles away.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by tayo4lif: 2:44pm On Jul 22, 2009
yes
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Uchebobo: 3:00pm On Jul 22, 2009
tayo4lif:

yes
Most Easterners and Northerners still want a united Nigeria with Westerners because of the trade that exists between them regardless of ethnicity and difference in cultural behaviors.

Does that suggest your yes is invalid at this time in the discussion?
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by BlackRevo: 3:07pm On Jul 22, 2009
Uchebobo:

Most Easterners and Northerners still want a united Nigeria with Westerners because of the trade that exists between them regardless of ethnicity and difference in cultural behaviors.

Does that suggest your yes is invalid at this time in the discussion?

The poll is speaking the true mind of Nigerians only it does not tell which part of the country are pushing for the divide.

Because we breakup does not mean we are not going to do business or trade with each other anymore that's why i am laying more emphasis on a peaceful separation.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by tayo4lif: 3:13pm On Jul 22, 2009
na yoruba want comot
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Uchebobo: 3:26pm On Jul 22, 2009
tayo4lif:

na yoruba want comot

Why would Yoruba alone be seeking for revolution or separation and others aren’t? Can you please share your facts?
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by tarano: 3:52pm On Jul 22, 2009
I voted for division, reason is that Nigeria has not worked so far, for me personally, my family, my community, and my state.

This is a personal decision,

We should remove all complexity, Nigeria should divide into two basic republics,
Northern Nigeria Republic & Southern Nigeria Repulic, Finish

The collective intelligence of the North and South of Nigeria are both in different directions, so Nigeria would not work,

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by tayo4lif: 3:58pm On Jul 22, 2009
yes
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by generalzango(m): 4:09pm On Jul 22, 2009
Every real humanbeing will support unity.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by tayo4lif: 4:19pm On Jul 22, 2009
you dey crazy, which stupid unity. why dont the nigeria government let america come and conduct vote for naija.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Uchebobo: 4:53pm On Jul 22, 2009
tayo4lif:

you dey crazy, which stupid unity. why dont the nigeria government let america come and conduct vote for naija.

The future of Nigerians is up to us to decide, also lies in our hands. America has her own problems as well. I’m in the perimeter of her landscape; we see it all but Americans often come through any challenge by discussion and at times Passover any challenge because of no consensus (E.g. Healthcare Reform debate going on, Immigration reform still dead, Iraq war Issues etc). I want us to keep an open mind and be objective in this discussion.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by tayo4lif: 5:39pm On Jul 22, 2009
How can it be in our hands. when we rig election. Iwu is the king of rigging election.

Let the USA conduct vote in nigeria if we want to remain united even every election in Nigeria. I trust USA more than i trust IWU or INEC
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by kshow1(m): 5:46pm On Jul 22, 2009
THE ONLY SOLUTION TO THE NATION CALLED NIGERIA IS DISINTEGRATION.
LET US DIVIDE INTO MAJOR ETHNIC GROUP AND START FROM THERE.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Uchebobo: 6:05pm On Jul 22, 2009
kshow1:

THE ONLY SOLUTION TO THE NATION CALLED NIGERIA IS DISINTEGRATION.
LET US DIVIDE INTO MAJOR ETHNIC GROUP AND START FROM THERE.

1. Has anyone thought about risks associated with division or separation?

2. How would the referendum be initiated?

3. Who will initiate the referendum?

4. Don’t you think being united with excellent leadership and improve democratic society is better than separation?
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by strangleyo: 6:16pm On Jul 22, 2009
To those who asked, Federalism, Let's use the broader Wiki term

"Federalism is political philosophy in which a group of members are bound together (Latin: foedus,ovenant (disambiguation)|covenant]]) with a governing representative head. The term federalism is also used to describe a system of the government in which sovereignty is constitutionally divided between a central governing authority and constituent political units (like states or provinces). Federalism is a system in which the power to govern is shared between national and central(state) governments, creating what is often called a federation. Proponents are often called federalists."

Nigeria is not actually functioning like a true federal republic. When it does, it will work.

Power in Nigeria is still highly concentrated in an ineffectual central federal government.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by ikeyman00(m): 7:29pm On Jul 22, 2009
ynuo

Go learn to write in proper sentences please, but even if you could put your thoughts together in decent english your points would still not be proof that Nigeria isnt unique in the world. Yes India has muslims, no duh, but it also has an over 80% hindu majority who dominate and hold the country together and like I said above plenty of European countries have split up in the past ( see below)

LIST OF EUROPEAN COUNTRIES THAT HAVE SPLIT UP

1. UK (used to include all of Ireland)
2. Yugoslavia
3. Soviet Union
3. Austria-Hungarian Empire
4. Sweden-Norway (used to be one country)
5. Czechoslovakia

This is an not an issue of Africans being tribal, sorry self-hating. It is just about Africans being given the chance to live in viable realistic countries just like Europeans ,

a mo ther ph uckin slowpoke!
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Onlytruth(m): 8:35pm On Jul 22, 2009
If anybody really wants to find a workable solution to Nigeria, they should start by splitting up the country along major tribal lines first. After that, peoples who share cultural, historical and religious grounds should engage in serious "founding conferences". In these conferences, all issues should be hashed out and agreed upon way before any new nation (s) emerges. Let's start with

Arewa, Middle belt, Odua, Biafra, and N/delta.

I suspect the Biafrans and Deltans will form a nation fairly quickly due to already existing ties and shared visions for the future. The next phase (if there is still a need) might be the negotiated union of Biafra and N/delta. The Biafrans can then negotiate with Odua (if either party is interested), next will be to negotiate with the Middle beltans, ie Benue (if they are prepared to negotiate realistically). I suspect that the only group who (through historical antecedents, cultural differences and religious preferences ), may have to form a completely separate nation is the Arewa.
Nigeria truly cannot be one as is. Too many innocent people have died, and even more people died to gain freedom from Nigeria.
I believe they did not die in vain.

The final outcome might then be:

(1) Arewa

(2) Union of Nigeria (where every member -Biafra, Odua, middle belt -flies its own flag, has separate anthem, presents football teams to FIFIA like England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland in Britain).

I believe the Union of Nigeria can agree on a confederate constitution ( ie apart from individual constitutions each member state has) defining what powers are seceded to the center (I suspect as little power as possible will be seceded in order to avoid the same mistake of Nigeria).

Before attacking my idea, please read it carefully and think it through.
I welcome other smart alternatives. Any abusive words will be returned in kind!
Thanks.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Onlytruth(m): 11:19pm On Jul 22, 2009
If anybody really wants to find a workable solution to Nigeria, they should start by splitting up the country along major tribal lines first. After that, peoples who share cultural, historical and religious grounds should engage in serious "founding conferences". In these conferences, all issues should be hashed out and agreed upon way before any new nation (s) emerges. Let's start with

Arewa, Middle belt, Odua, Biafra, and N/delta.

I suspect the Biafrans and Deltans will form a nation fairly quickly due to already existing ties and shared visions for the future. The next phase (if there is still a need) might be the negotiated union of Biafra and N/delta. The Biafrans can then negotiate with Odua (if either party is interested), next will be to negotiate with the Middle beltans, ie Benue (if they are prepared to negotiate realistically). I suspect that the only group who (through historical antecedents, cultural differences and religious preferences ), may have to form a completely separate nation is the Arewa.
Nigeria truly cannot be one as is. Too many innocent people have died, and even more people died to gain freedom from Nigeria.
I believe they did not die in vain.

The final outcome might then be:

(1) Arewa

(2) Union of Nigeria (where every member -Biafra, Odua, middle belt -flies its own flag, has separate anthem, presents football teams to FIFIA like England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland in Britain).

I believe the Union of Nigeria can agree on a confederate constitution ( ie apart from individual constitutions each member state has) defining what powers are ceded to the center (I suspect as little power as possible will be ceded in order to avoid the same mistake of Nigeria).

Before attacking my idea, please read it carefully and think it through.
I welcome other smart alternatives. Any abusive words will be returned in kind!
Thanks.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by sley4life(m): 11:59pm On Jul 22, 2009
divide
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by GAR3TH(m): 8:52am On Jul 23, 2009
Yuno:

LIST OF EUROPEAN COUNTRIES THAT HAVE SPLIT UP

1. UK (used to include all of Ireland)
2. Yugoslavia
3. Soviet Union
3. Austria-Hungarian Empire
4. Sweden-Norway (used to be one country)
5. Czechoslovakia

This is an not an issue of Africans being tribal, sorry self-hating. It is just about Africans being given the chance to live in viable realistic countries just like Europeans , 

[b]Actually, Yugoslavia, Russia and Austria-Hungarian Empire were force to divide because of World War 1. The triple entente (the west) didn't want another major war. Sweden and Norway were always two countries, but in the 1880's because of Sweden's role in the Battle of Leipzig, gave Sweden the authority to force Denmark-Norway to cede to the King of Sweden. But in 1905 they country divided. Etc.

Nigeria will not break up; it’s a relatively young country. Nigeria is only 49 years old. Compared to America that is 233 years old and some European and Asian countries that have been around since the 10th centaury. Nigeria is already mentioned to be an economic power of the world in the future and its part of the next 11. There is no good reason why Nigeria should divide. Just because there are some tribal and religious feuds don’t mean anything. Nigeria/Africa is not the only place that has tribes. Central – South America has tribes and Asia too. But you don’t hear them bitchen about their differences. Look it’s the 21st centaury, Tribes and religion don’t mean shit when it comes to developing. All Nigeria need are some good leaders, like fashola and others, to do better and it will. It took America 120 years or so before it had its industrializing. So just because Nigeria isn’t modern right now doesn’t mean anything. It’s a fact that Nigeria is improving and many investors are flooding into the country. There no point to divide. Just because your area of the country isn’t developing fast doesn’t mean the rest of the country isn’t developing. Anyways Nigeria will remain one, even though you see these fools brain washing you about separating.

Ps: Nairaland is a joke of a forum…, don’t you’ll have moderators….to regulate the site[/b]
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Yuno: 1:04pm On Jul 23, 2009
Quote: GAR3TH
Actually, Yugoslavia, Russia and Austria-Hungarian Empire were force to divide because of World War 1. The triple entente (the west) didn't want another major war. Sweden and Norway were always two countries, but in the 1880's because of Sweden's role in the Battle of Leipzig, gave Sweden the authority to force Denmark-Norway to cede to the King of Sweden. But in 1905 they country divided. Etc.

Nigeria will not break up; it’s a relatively young country. Nigeria is only 49 years old. Compared to America that is 233 years old and some European and Asian countries that have been around since the 10th centaury. Nigeria is already mentioned to be an economic power of the world in the future and its part of the next 11. There is no good reason why Nigeria should divide. Just because there are some tribal and religious feuds don’t mean anything. Nigeria/Africa is not the only place that has tribes. Central – South America has tribes and Asia too. But you don’t hear them bitchen about their differences. Look it’s the 21st centaury, Tribes and religion don’t mean shit when it comes to developing. All Nigeria need are some good leaders, like fashola and others, to do better and it will. It took America 120 years or so before it had its industrializing. So just because Nigeria isn’t modern right now doesn’t mean anything. It’s a fact that Nigeria is improving and many investors are flooding into the country. There no point to divide. Just because your area of the country isn’t developing fast doesn’t mean the rest of the country isn’t developing. Anyways Nigeria will remain one, even though you see these fools brain washing you about separating.

Ps: Nairaland is a joke of a forum…, don’t you’ll have moderators….to regulate the site

You are right Nairaland does need more mods to stop people like YOU FROM SPREADING MISINFORMATION BECAUSE EVERYTHING YOU SAID WAS WRONG. I dont blame you, instead which ever school system you went through was not very good at teaching history or geography. I did my undergrad degree many years ago in history and political science at one of the most prestigious universities in the US so please dont try to debate this subject with me.

I will demonstrate why practically everything you said wasnt true, sorry I am not beind rude but its for the benefit of truth and your own education.

1. You say Yugoslavia, Austria-Hungary and Russia were split apart because of world war I

WRONG

- Yugoslavia split apart in the 1990s, almost 80 years after World War I. There wasnt even a state called Yugoslavia until after World War I.

- I never mentioned Russia. My list included the Soviet Union, which is not the same as Russia (only one part of the SU) and it also like Yugoslavia   didnt split apart until the 1990s.

- Austria Hungary was already on the verge of splitting apart before the Great War. The Hungarians, Czechs, and South Slavs all had movements for their independence before the war and the Hungarians fought a violent revolution for independence in the 1840s but lost to the Austrians which is the only reason they were forced to stay in Austria-Hungary. All of these groups were very happy to leave Austrian-Hungary and domination by the German Austrians and werent forced to do so.

2. You say [/b]Sweden and Norway were never united in one common state, wrong.
- There was a country called Sweden-Norway or the United Kingdom of Sweden and Norway and it existed between 1814 and 1905, ,  it wasnt founded in 1880s. The Battle of Leipzig happened in 1813 not the 1880s. It was very much a country with one government and one king until the Norwegians voted for their independence and split the COUNTRY INTO TWO STATES.

3.[b]You say
some European and Asian countries are centuries old. Yes thats true but I assure you they all have a dominant ethnic group or some common religion or language that hold them together. Actually the oldest states in the world are all ones that have a common ethnic identity or are dominated by one majority group,  Japan, Great Britain, France, etc.

4. You say South and Central America nations have numerous tribes true these groups are mostly native group who are either minorites or have been dominated by the white Spanish elites who control these societies. They can not be compared to Nigeria where several very large ethnic groups numbering in the millions and none large enough to dominate and no common religion or native tongue.

If you dont believe please read a few books on the subjects mentioned or if neccesary use the internet for information but be careful which sources you choose.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by tayo4lif: 1:59pm On Jul 23, 2009
how
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by tayo4lif: 4:47pm On Jul 23, 2009
more
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Dede1(m): 5:44pm On Jul 23, 2009
@ynuo

I raised my hat for you, pal. You have come with a clear mind with no emotional or sentimental attach.

@GAR3TH

You were so wrong and goofy in some of assertions that the need for even a moronic moderator is heightened.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Uchebobo: 7:49pm On Jul 23, 2009
For division 28 (87.5%)

Against division 4 (12.5%)

Total Votes: 32

Just don’t over look this discussion. It’s important to add voice to the discussion via this medium. 32 people are just a fraction of the 160Million.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by ikeyman00(m): 7:53pm On Jul 23, 2009
in
nl and beer parlour
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by GAR3TH(m): 10:04pm On Jul 23, 2009
@Yuno

What’s with the insult, all I did is quote and voice my opinion. That's why I say nairaland is a joke of a forum because the people on it don't act like there age, SMH,  my response was general and was not focused on you. I was just using your facts to make my opinion on the subject. And I know you graduated from wikipedia university, everyone did, that's were you, me and everyone gets their basic facts these days. What was the point of you saying that you went to a U.S. School, like I care? Was that even necessary. Sorry if I pissed you of or something but what was the point of that? Anyways

You say Yugoslavia, Austria-Hungary and Russia were split apart because of world war I. Yugoslavia split apart in the 1990s, almost 80 years after World War I. There wasnt even a state called Yugoslavia until after World War I.

Yes, Yugoslavia didn't split until the 1990s, we all know that. I was saying that the country Yugoslavia was force to be one country by the west. The Yugoslavia people want their own countries, but they were force to be one. That’s why after the fall of communism the country dived into separate democratic states.

Austria Hungary was already on the verge of splitting apart before the Great War. The Hungarians, Czechs, and South Slavs all had movements for their independence before the war and the Hungarians fought a violent revolution for independence in the 1840s but lost to the Austrians which is the only reason they were forced to stay in Austria-Hungary. All of these groups were very happy to leave Austrian-Hungary and domination by the German Austrians and werent forced to do so.

yes, The Hungarians, Czechs, South Slavs etc all had movements for their independence before the war. but they were forced into countries that they didn't want any part of, like Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia, which later divided in the early 90's.

I never mentioned Russia. My list included the Soviet Union, which is not the same as Russia (only one part of the SU) and it also like Yugoslavia   didnt split apart until the 1990s.

Not sure which Soviet Union division you’re taking about since they had a hand full. If you’re talking about Estonia and Latvia declaring there independence in 1991 that is true. But Estonia and Latvia were countries before the great wars but were later forced to join the Soviet Union after. But in 1991 they regain there independence.

You say Sweden and Norway were never united in one common state,  wrong.
- There was a country called Sweden-Norway or the United Kingdom of Sweden and Norway and it existed between 1814 and 1905, ,  it wasnt founded in 1880s. The Battle of Leipzig happened in 1813 not the 1880s. It was very much a country with one government and one king until the Norwegians voted for their independence and split the COUNTRY INTO TWO STATES.

I did say that. I said," Sweden and Norway were always two countries, but in the 1880's because of Sweden's role in the Battle of Leipzig, gave Sweden the authority to force Denmark-Norway to cede to the King of Sweden". and with the 1880s thing, I meant to put 1800s. that's a mistake on my end.

You say some European and Asian countries are centuries old. Yes thats true but I assure,
agreed

You say some European and Asian countries are centuries old. Yes thats true but, 

so you agree with me
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Fhemmmy: 10:06pm On Jul 23, 2009
There seems to be more pple in favour of separation
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by ezeagu(m): 10:11pm On Jul 23, 2009
4 for unification, 28 for divide . . . . Nigeria will break into four. . . . .
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by BlackRevo: 6:54am On Jul 24, 2009
ezeagu:

4 for unification, 28 for divide . . . . Nigeria will break into four. . . . .

I think 5 will be more appropriate because first it was three and later turned to 4 when the southern minorities asked for their own separate region so i believe also that northern minorities will also ask for their own separate region this time around (middle belt) . The five regions should include the following

Biafra
Odua
Arewa
Niger- Delta ( some parts might join biafra while some others might also join odua)
Middle-Belt ( some parts will join the above four regions)

So what do you all think about this arrangement?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Igbos At Sabon Gari Motor Park, Kano Trying To Leave The City This Morning / Why Buhari Fled To London: Gov Wike / Nigerians Have Made A Mistake By Voting Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.