Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,353 members, 7,920,322 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 01:30 AM

Naija Vs Biotechnology - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Naija Vs Biotechnology (1176 Views)

Application Of Biotechnology For The Genetic Improvement Of Livestock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naija Vs Biotechnology by fabulou1: 4:34pm On Mar 19, 2016
The growth of biotechnology companies in Nigeria can be considered stagnant. From my little research, some of the factors that have contributed to less or no growth are electricity, political gain. Are these the only setbacks or are we just not investing right? What's your take on the matter?
Re: Naija Vs Biotechnology by Nobody: 4:57pm On Mar 19, 2016
fabulou1:
The growth of biotechnology companies in Nigeria can be considered stagnant. From my little research, some of the factors that have contributed to less or no growth are electricity, political gain. Are these the only setbacks or are we just not investing right? What's your take on the matter?

lack of constant electricity is a huge factor! besides most biotech firms in the USA and Europe are research companies, Nigerians don't value the research industry that much + lack of funding. Food biotech will flourish in Nigeria, but there's a lot of work to do and the products must be commercially viable (and acceptable). then the issue of GMO's in Nigeria is something to look at. there's more than enough misinformation about GMO's here in this country, people are gonna basically reject anything/product they feel has been tampered with genetically.

2 Likes

Re: Naija Vs Biotechnology by mackhunter77: 5:03pm On Mar 19, 2016
I believe a major setback to the growth of biotechnology in Nigeria is because private institutions are the major researchers in that field. And they don't even go into "mainstream" orthodox research but venture more into herbal medicine. The motivation in Nigeria is quite low as well but I believe since it's individuals who will profit more from such researches, they should source more funds to aid groundbreaking researches

1 Like

Re: Naija Vs Biotechnology by NDprudent(m): 6:31am On Mar 20, 2016
The truth is that Nigeria doesn't appreciate research. I've never heard that a big pharmaceutical company set out to sponsor 1 research on drug discovery (pharmaceutical biotech)by an undergraduate.

The issue of sponsorship should be addressed cos our young scientists are always careful enof not to think beyond their financial capacities (molecular research is xpensive).

The truth is, every country with ground breaking discoveries in biotech hugely invested on their youths (young scientists), and until govt and private institutions take these young ones serious and invest in them, 9ja will neva grow in research.

I wonder how much went to science and technology in d 2016 budget.

1 Like

Re: Naija Vs Biotechnology by fabulou1: 9:30pm On Apr 07, 2016
Apologies for the late reply guys....hmmmm true that I totally agree with you NDprudent. I mean not even drug discovery alone. I have not heard about one science program in Nigeria in which young people are properly challenged to create something that will be beneficial for the society. yh investing on young people definitely changes the whole scenario.
Coolabman yh I understand what you mean but then with the 'misinformation' bit,it all comes down to ensuring that almost everyone gets properly informed. I mean its quite common in every country; every individual that's not scientifically involved in the production of something tends to question it. So it is the right of the people to ask questions and it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to convince people that it won't affect them in any negative way. so I'd say if people who are inventing the products are able to convince the majority we can probably break that barrier (not everyone will still agree but that's a common trait in every society).
Mackhunter77 with the low motivation I'd say it probably comes down to empowering our youths again cos Nigeria is a country blessed with multiple talents that need to be explored. Come to think of it do you guys think there is an international barrier as well. Also are our graduates properly trained for the positions? or are they just pushed out as graduates?
Re: Naija Vs Biotechnology by NDprudent(m): 4:52pm On Apr 08, 2016
fabulou1:
Come to think of it do you guys think there is an international barrier as well. Also are our graduates properly trained for the positions? or are they just pushed out as graduates?

This still leads us to the same point I made. If the government was interested in science it would have been very obvious that we have nothing but empty laboratories (empty "labs" don't produce properly trained graduates). I know of a school where a department went to borrow microscopes from microbiology department for accreditation only to return it later and carry out experiments in d empty room.

The road is still far for us in 9ja. Enough said

(1) (Reply)

10 Differences Between The North And South Poles / Kara Market River Suddenly Becomes Dry Land At Ojodu Berger(photos) / CCNA Things, Pls I Need Your Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.