Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,481 members, 7,917,524 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 09:03 AM

Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker (32369 Views)

Saraki Replaces Ndume With Suleiman Nazif As INEC Committee Chairman / PDP Protests In Tai As INEC Boss Refuse To Conduct Fresh Election In Tai / Ondo: Violence At Owo LGA As INEC Ballot Box Shattered, Ballot Papers Hijacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Dainikel(m): 1:45am On Mar 21, 2016
I cannot believe corpers would risk their lives for a re-run in Rivers knowing how unstable the state is. Even during the general elections, Rivers wasn't spared from electoral violence....the snatching & gunshots I witnessed in Orhionmwon LG, Edo is enough memories for a lifetime.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Timbuktu14(m): 1:58am On Mar 21, 2016
Thank God for your life @OP. If i was in your shoes, the build up wouldn't have allowed me participate at all. It was always going to be bloody! God help us.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by lastpage: 4:17am On Mar 21, 2016
HALIX16:
Is it that people don't learn? So with all the potential issues surrounding this rerun, a corper will accept to do this job?
The smart ones I know do everything possible just not to be part of any elections; talk less of That of Rivers (Wike vs Amechi).
My advice to you is never to involve in such again. Most people that lost their lives were normal people like you. Don't think that being a corper will save you.

Even more baffling is the role of the POLICEMEN attached as Security to these Corpers!

How do three Police Men DISAPPEAR........ from those they are supposed to protect?
Is there any reason attaching Police Men to such situations if all they will do is STAND IDLY BY OR DISAPPEAR?

Same thing happened in Mile 12 in lagos when Police Men stood-by and DID NOTHING while those Hausa Thugs burned people alive in their homes!

These Police Men are saboteurs and should be treated so.
Any Police Man that fails his responsibility (Protecting Citizens in danger) should be arrested, sacked, court martialed and jailed.

Enough is Enough! Those Corpers could have been killed due to the CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE OF SOME POLICE MEN!

Lastpage!
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by focus2727(m): 4:18am On Mar 21, 2016
Flexherbal:
When are we going to have a free and fair election in Nigeria?
when politicians stop seen politics as a profession.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by opribo(m): 4:30am On Mar 21, 2016
A man who threatened to unleash blood if he didn't win an election is definitely a blood thirsty man and blood letting will surely trail his administration as he has started demonstrating.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by stefanweeks: 4:44am On Mar 21, 2016
The thing is that NYSC don't even force corpers to participate as adhoc staff

I wonder why someone would see danger and go into it with arms wide stretched.

I was a corper in akuku toru LGA during the governorship election but I refused to participate in all that inec shit.

They give u small money and risk ur fucking life.
Its not worth it.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Teymanhenry(f): 4:55am On Mar 21, 2016
why on earth Would u risk your life know What's at stake in rivers state do u think any politician Would risk his life for such How much Would they pay u after risking our lives for these bunch of liars All we get is disappointment
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by magicfingers009: 6:15am On Mar 21, 2016
rexington:
from the story that APO was tied up by APC. Andrew Uchendu is the APC Senatorial candidate and is from Emohua LGA. His rival George Sekibo is from Okrika LGA which is far from Emohua. From the statement of the APO they were to see a senatorial candidate who is from area.
If the above is correct, that means PDP thugs snatched the election materials initially according to OPs story.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by silkytouch(m): 6:45am On Mar 21, 2016
KahlDrogo:
"Your life isn't worth the risk", or your life is worth more than the risk

Your english sef. undecided

I just de look de guy since, and him just de repeat am with all seriousness!
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by KahlDrogo(m): 6:53am On Mar 21, 2016
silkytouch:

I just de look de guy since, and him just de repeat am with all seriousness!
the tin taya me gan. cheesy
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 6:54am On Mar 21, 2016
missingrib:
remember the one that happened next month in Kaduna lere LGA to b precise where I was the APO 3...it wasn't funny o.but tank God sha..corpers are always involved in election becos they know we love money....corper wee
I use to think that corpers are forced into conducting elections. Never knew they do it willingly.
Because I don't see how after reading stories of corper killed during election, I will carry these my two tiny legs and my big head to go and take part in any election activities. No way
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:00am On Mar 21, 2016
stefanweeks:
The thing is that NYSC don't even force corpers to participate as adhoc staff

I wonder why someone would see danger and go into it with arms wide stretched.

I was a corper in akuku toru LGA during the governorship election but I refused to participate in all that inec shit.

They give u small money and risk ur fucking life.
Its not worth it.
Honestly I use to think they were forced to do it. Never knew they do it out of stupidity, because even greedy people value their lives. Why would I lay my life a a politian whose children don't even come out to vote.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by poseidon12: 7:04am On Mar 21, 2016
Hitback2back:
All false. I bet you this writer isn't in Rivers. We are not that crazy but sh**t could happen. We need to respect Rivers and stop feeding the public with lies. Long Live Peaceful Rivers

Peaceful Rivers? I guess we can also say peaceful Borno.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by poseidon12: 7:08am On Mar 21, 2016
Alezy:
My best part of the story.....Police man self run. Lwkmdh

Of course they have to run because they were not armed and the armed soldiers that were supposed to be guarding the perimeter of the polling area were missing in action.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Dynamite02: 7:10am On Mar 21, 2016
AmAlbert:

Sista, no vex na correct I wan correct you no be laugh I dey laff you, e supposed to be LAST MONTH, no be NEXT MONTH... I come dry wonder if you be witch to know wetin go happen next month......
Sister abeg no carry me do prayer point o, if not I go yellow for you be that, you know say I kuku black like Kiwi Polish grin grin grin grin grin

*sips dogonyaro and aki with chewingGum

Brother e suppose be DEY not DRY......u d correct person,con d match line join

1 Like

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by poseidon12: 7:14am On Mar 21, 2016
macaranta:
Op did they not train you well?..As a corp member carrying out electoral duties you don't fight or argue with ballot box snatchers..the best you can do is annul the result for that center as inconclusive.

Life no dey two oh.

The APO II took unnecessary risk. She should have listened to the PO and given them the ballot papers and results sheet, then go to the LGA to report and have election cancelled for that unit. I hope they didn't harm her.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Niyinficient(m): 7:17am On Mar 21, 2016
Mustay:
Did this so-called corps member go through orientation at all? Does the person know the guidelines containing talking to the press (which NYSC ought to update in this era of social media)? Or didn't INEC also conduct some trainings for you guys
Don't let some invisible likes or few minutes of fame on the internet override your sensibilities and INEC procedures in documenting the conduct of an election.

For those accusing the corps member of getting into unnecessary wahala, service year is a compulsory service offered to Nigeria. You do not decline government's posting although there are smart ways to excuse yourself. You are an available pool of resources for the government as it deems fit during NYSC year. Why make elections a battle?
Why don't we focus on politicians making their domain a battle ground? Elections aren't hard to conduct but our people make it hard!

If the corps member is working for INEC as an adhoc staff, I don't expect him or her to give out any party's name otherwise, your position as an umpire is in another 'empire state of mind' then.

Your story will be more useful at the courts and not social media. Whatever people say hear will not be valid in the court of law. I even understand the desperation of our politicians to bombard the media with false and unverified news so that when it's time for the electoral body to perform it's function of announcing results, these 'news' stand as basis for conspiracy theories. Let's make responsible use of the (social) media.

Nonsense! The OP was wise enough not to have included the parties' names nor his or her name. BT here you are ranting like spirit abt social media blah...blah..blah

He/she just narrated his/her personal experience which of course can't harm any one,so take a chil pil! Mr. Omniknowest

1 Like

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by poseidon12: 7:20am On Mar 21, 2016
masqot:
Thank your head and keep off the social media with this story of yours. I watched them on TV last night (Wike, Amaechi, Peterside & the rest) and you know what I saw? Self-centered and desperate politicians.
Thanks for your info, anyway.

If she keeps off the social media with the story, how would any of us know what is going on? What is wrong in exposing evil?
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by poseidon12: 7:27am On Mar 21, 2016
gykes:

Exactly! And remember Emohua is a major APC stronghold in all of Ikwerre clans.

Lol you shouldn't have mentioned the party though, just read and move on.

From the story, it seems that one party snatched the ballot box and the rival party did the kidnapping of the corp member.
Since the area is a stronghold of the APC (according to you), I would think PDP did the snatching of ballot box, while the APC did the kidnapping.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Nobody: 7:30am On Mar 21, 2016
When I was serving, my mum called me and said, "my son, stay away from anything related to Nigerian elections. Stay away from campaigns, rallies, voting and monitoring."

Three weeks after that, five corp members were killed in my local government.

The next morning my mum called me, "my son where are you?"

I replied that I dey house dey sleep. Actually, I did not open my house since the election started. I don't joke with anybody wey no dey understand my language.

That's the same pattern they're using. One group will snatch the election materials, the other group will pretend to be good to the electoral officers. They will tell you that it's the opposition party that snatched the election materials and they will offer you a free ride out of town knowing fully well that you will accept the offer since fear Don catch you.

Now be vigilant and observe that the police will rush and enter one vehicle while all or at least one electoral officer, especially the one that has the power to sign the electoral materials will be made to enter a different vehicle.

Three or two hours later the deed is done. One of them will follow the electoral officer to the local government area or Council to ensure that the electoral officer submit the electoral materials.

If you try to prove stubborn by not submitting the electoral materials or try to be smart or try to play a fast one on them, you will found yourself dead the next morning.

So wise ones like us stayed away from Nigerian elections during our service year and afterwards.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by 1miccza: 7:45am On Mar 21, 2016
otokx:
Which party tied the woman and took her away in Honda accord?

What a question?Na party dey tie person??
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by 1miccza: 7:49am On Mar 21, 2016
Thank God for saving your life bro,i have worked with INEC twice but at this time and dispensation i wouldn't advice my enemy to do that
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by rockiedink(m): 7:51am On Mar 21, 2016
From this narrative....if it is true....i will not be surprised if this unnamed 'politician' the corner was being asked to go and see is also behind the initial ballot box and election material snatching hoodlums. Why will you request that they say it was a particular party that came a-snatching? Did they wear the party flag on their head?

I smell something fishy...
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by gykes(m): 7:52am On Mar 21, 2016
poseidon12:

From the story, it seems that one party snatched the ballot box and the rival party did the kidnapping of the corp member.
Since the area is a stronghold of the APC (according to you), I would think PDP did the snatching of ballot box, while the APC did the kidnapping.

Nope sir, that's not entirely correct...Emuoha being an APC stronghold doesn't directly mean they have more numbers there. It's just one place you have a sizeable APC support base capable of giving PDP a run for her money.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by shotgun22(m): 7:55am On Mar 21, 2016
digoster:
Ameachi is a toothless bull dog
Once again, has been disgraced..
you know nothing. Close your mouth.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by shotgun22(m): 7:57am On Mar 21, 2016
rockiedink:
From this narrative....if it is true....i will not be surprised if this unnamed 'politician' the corner was being asked to go and see is also behind the initial ballot box and election material snatching hoodlums. Why will you request that they say it was a particular party that came a-snatching? Did they wear the party flag on their head?

I smell something fishy...
you are right sir.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by sexyjob(m): 8:08am On Mar 21, 2016
yaki84:

election happened nextmonth? who won?
drugs
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by ibitzbarlow(m): 8:59am On Mar 21, 2016
viviangist2:
MY EXPERIENCE AS APO 1 IN UNIT 6, WARD 4, OF EMOHUA LGA, IN RIVERS STATE SENATORIAL, STATE HOUSE OF REP AND NATIONAL HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY RE-RUN ELECTION ON 19/03/2016

I have been hearing that hudlums do snatch election materials from INEC officials during voting process until 19th March, 2016 when election materials were snatched in my polling unit where am acting as the Assistant Prisiding Officer 1(APO 1).
When we first arrived our RAC(Registration Area Center) on 18/03/2016, many people who are not INEC ad hoc staffs were seen hovering around the RAC. After collecting election material from our SPOs(Supervising Presiding Officers) at around 6:00AM, we set out to our various polling units after much delay. The buses that were conveying us to our various polling units were just crawling. Peole that are to work at different polling units were to move together accompanied by soldiers, SARS and police officers.
The crawling way of movement made us(my team-PO, APO 1, APO 11 and three police officers) to arrive our polling unit at around 3:20PM. We were the last people to reach their polling unit in our ward. The card reader failed after trying all the 10 fingers of the first person that came to vote. As the second person showed up for accreditation, a group of huddlums entered our polling unit from unknown where and made away with some of our election materials except our card reader(with me), ballot paper and election result(with the APO 11) . We all ran away including the 3 police men that were working with us. There was a pandemonium in the unit.
After the noises subsided, we re-converged at one place to discuss on how to move back to the LGA, since all the people that we called to come for our rescue who actually picked the call did not give us quick attention and there is only one road leading to the place except through water. One of the party agents among the two main party in Nigeria, who told us that the election materials were snatched by the other party member, offered to help us move out of the village. After much contemplation on whether we are save to move out of the village at that time or not, we agreed to move since we believed that the huddlums might come back to harm us or carry the remaining election materials. One of the villagers offered his car too. So, the police men entered the bus that conveyed us to the place and the rest of us with 2 of the villagers(the party agent and one other village boy) and the owner of the car left for the LGA.
On our way to the LGA, the party agent that were with us said that we have to pass through his party senetorial candidate to confess that it is other party member that snatched the materials from us. That was when we began to fill unconfortable with them. Then, th APO 11 insisted to board a car to Choba against the wish of the party agent and ours too. By then, we have lost the police men on the way from the community. The driver called me separately and asked me whether we and the party agent did not discuss anything? Which I sincerely replied that we did not discuss anything. On my own, I have decided not to meet or talk with the politician because some of them are heartless. After seeing how the guy was serious about taking us especially the woman(APO 11 who was with the result sheets and ballot paper) to the politician, the PO knelt down and begged the woman to give them the ballot paper and the election result sheets that she was carrying.
I left the scene with my phone on my ear as if i was making call. After I have given them about 300m gap to the LGA, I saw my PO running towards my direction. I asked him " what happened?" And he told me that the APO 11 has been tied and thrown into a Honda accord. Then, we ran together to the LGA. We saw many other corpers too who were complaining of the same snatch experience in their polling unit too. This is just the summary of what happened.
Please, thank God with me for this is my true life story. I am a serving corp member in Emohua LGA of Rivers state

http://www.viviangist.com/rivers-rerun-my-experience-as-an-inec-worker-in-rivers-state-nysc-member

OP, why are you not bold enough to mention the name of the party responsible for the tieing of your PO? From your story, anybody that is from Rivers State or knows Rivers can deduce the party and Senatorial candidate responsible for your ordeal. Let me state here that the Senatorial contest for Rivers East, of which Emohua is part of has Sekibo ( an OKrika man) for the PDP and Andrew Uchendu (an Ikwerre man from Emohua) for the APC.

So the party agent that wants to take you to his Senatorial candidate in the same Emohua on election day must be from the APC. Be bold and say it the way it is. It's APC that truncated the process in your polling unit.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by naijagobetter(m): 9:04am On Mar 21, 2016
whatever happens is as a result of the supreme court ruling, its a shame that those that are suppose to be the poor man's hope have put them in harms way. I ask this question why did the legislature appropriate money for the card readers,
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Afroconnect: 9:09am On Mar 21, 2016
It's shameful that Buhari can not protect the lives of Rivers people during the elections.

APC indeed are noise makers. Amaechi can not protect his supporters-Police men running away,yet he carries a battalion of soldiers with him everywhere he goes.

APC shame.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by Mustay(m): 9:47am On Mar 21, 2016
Niyinficient:

Nonsense! The OP was wise enough not to have included the parties' names nor his or her name. BT here you are ranting like spirit abt social media blah...blah..blah

He/she just narrated his/her personal experience which of course can't harm any one,so take a chil pil! Mr. Omniknowest

iLAff. So, Vivian Gist is now the tribunal to go to. How sure are you of who the OP is How do you vet these stories You think the trained media personnel do not know what they do before publishing stories I can say, you can say, however, what is right is right, what is wrong is wrong.

By the time the people authority want to use the law(s) against him or her, go help the dude. This is Nigeria abeggi.

By the way, when discussing online, learn or pretend to respect people's opinion. You have a healthier argument when you face the issues objectively.
Re: Rivers Rerun: Corps Member's Experience As INEC Worker by vislabraye(m): 10:10am On Mar 21, 2016
viviangist2:
MY EXPERIENCE AS APO 1 IN UNIT 6, WARD 4, OF EMOHUA LGA, IN RIVERS STATE SENATORIAL, STATE HOUSE OF REP AND NATIONAL HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY RE-RUN ELECTION ON 19/03/2016

I have been hearing that hudlums do snatch election materials from INEC officials during voting process until 19th March, 2016 when election materials were snatched in my polling unit where am acting as the Assistant Prisiding Officer 1(APO 1).
When we first arrived our RAC(Registration Area Center) on 18/03/2016, many people who are not INEC ad hoc staffs were seen hovering around the RAC. After collecting election material from our SPOs(Supervising Presiding Officers) at around 6:00AM, we set out to our various polling units after much delay. The buses that were conveying us to our various polling units were just crawling. Peole that are to work at different polling units were to move together accompanied by soldiers, SARS and police officers.
The crawling way of movement made us(my team-PO, APO 1, APO 11 and three police officers) to arrive our polling unit at around 3:20PM. We were the last people to reach their polling unit in our ward. The card reader failed after trying all the 10 fingers of the first person that came to vote. As the second person showed up for accreditation, a group of huddlums entered our polling unit from unknown where and made away with some of our election materials except our card reader(with me), ballot paper and election result(with the APO 11) . We all ran away including the 3 police men that were working with us. There was a pandemonium in the unit.
After the noises subsided, we re-converged at one place to discuss on how to move back to the LGA, since all the people that we called to come for our rescue who actually picked the call did not give us quick attention and there is only one road leading to the place except through water. One of the party agents among the two main party in Nigeria, who told us that the election materials were snatched by the other party member, offered to help us move out of the village. After much contemplation on whether we are save to move out of the village at that time or not, we agreed to move since we believed that the huddlums might come back to harm us or carry the remaining election materials. One of the villagers offered his car too. So, the police men entered the bus that conveyed us to the place and the rest of us with 2 of the villagers(the party agent and one other village boy) and the owner of the car left for the LGA.
On our way to the LGA, the party agent that were with us said that we have to pass through his party senetorial candidate to confess that it is other party member that snatched the materials from us. That was when we began to fill unconfortable with them. Then, th APO 11 insisted to board a car to Choba against the wish of the party agent and ours too. By then, we have lost the police men on the way from the community. The driver called me separately and asked me whether we and the party agent did not discuss anything? Which I sincerely replied that we did not discuss anything. On my own, I have decided not to meet or talk with the politician because some of them are heartless. After seeing how the guy was serious about taking us especially the woman(APO 11 who was with the result sheets and ballot paper) to the politician, the PO knelt down and begged the woman to give them the ballot paper and the election result sheets that she was carrying.
I left the scene with my phone on my ear as if i was making call. After I have given them about 300m gap to the LGA, I saw my PO running towards my direction. I asked him " what happened?" And he told me that the APO 11 has been tied and thrown into a Honda accord. Then, we ran together to the LGA. We saw many other corpers too who were complaining of the same snatch experience in their polling unit too. This is just the summary of what happened.
Please, thank God with me for this is my true life story. I am a serving corp member in Emohua LGA of Rivers state

http://www.viviangist.com/rivers-rerun-my-experience-as-an-inec-worker-in-rivers-state-nysc-member

Amaechi is desperate...,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) / Akin Alabi Files House Motion To Dissolve SARS / Kogi Indigenes Besiege Yahaya Bello On the Okene-Owo Highway (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.