Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,180 members, 7,887,420 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:42 AM

Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation (24427 Views)

Isiaka Adeleke Was To Distribute Grinding Machines, Motorcycles Before His Death / Soldiers Arrest Fleeing Boko Haram Terrorists With 100 Motorcycles (Photos) / FG To Phase Out Mud Houses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by NaLaugh: 5:28pm On Mar 21, 2016
Topestbilly:

That will be a good business. grin

If you're in Lagos, you better corner the business niche before it gets flooded. cheesy
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by Reference(m): 5:29pm On Mar 21, 2016
With this I think the PDP finally has something to cheer about. Where is sleepy, moribund Jimi.
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by JeffreyJamez(m): 5:34pm On Mar 21, 2016
all this one na story.....na for paper e dey end.
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by Larryhoover(m): 5:36pm On Mar 21, 2016
Issues like this in Nigeria sometimes baffles me and makes me think if we really gonna be named a developed country in a century time, the answer is simply NO.
Now the lagos state government is planning to enact a law to put total ban on okada at the time they have already franchised all LAG BUS and Brt operating within lagos metropolis. This Governor is calling for nothing but a state of anarchy and turmoil because all these Danfo drivers and conductors would have nothing to resort to other than social vices and thus increase of criminality.
A sensible governor would need to think out of the box and find a way that would confer a lasting solution to the transport system in the state. Create an efficient transport system which is gonna be affordable probably enhancing the rail transportation system (monorail) and beefing up of security with surveillance system would be enhanced and that would curb rate of vices.

But placing total ban is nothing but a graveyard mistake

Peace
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by demarc001: 5:38pm On Mar 21, 2016
mikolo80:
Shebi there's another election in 2019.calm down. they will learn the hard way that this is not Yankee
The same thing happened before 2015, Nigerians don't learn.
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
lekkie073:
danfos r not d only alternative.
the fishseller and other marktwomen going to d same locality can arrange for pick up delivery cars....it is already done in some places like yaba where u see five to six ppl renting a pick up van to transport their wares to theie abode.
I wonder how much profit you will make after that?
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by demarc001: 5:40pm On Mar 21, 2016
mikolo80:
this will force more investment in brt
which poor man can invest in BRT?
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by demarc001: 5:46pm On Mar 21, 2016
bittertruthz:

why people in New york not rendered jobless?. Nigerians like you with low brain just want to remain backward. wake up, this is 2016. EVERYTHING IS NOT EXCUSE.

If it happen, the yellow buses and okoda will be operating on streets, small roads and villages.
Even in world class cities like Beijing, Bangkok, Hong kong, they still use old fashioned transport system like pick-up, tricycle, bike in a civilized manner.

You made striking points but in those cities are the govt not doing things to improve employment?
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 21, 2016
Phasing out motorcycle is understandable, some of them ride their bikes like biker mice_ killing innocent people. Na that danfo own go hard small.
Danfo is synonymous to Lagos. angry
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by jarkbauer: 5:49pm On Mar 21, 2016
demarc001:

Poor man does need to invest in BRT. There are rich people who will invest in it.
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by jarkbauer: 5:51pm On Mar 21, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
Phasing out motorcycle is understandable, some of them ride their bikes like biker mice_ killing innocent people. Na that danfo own go hard small.
Danfo is synonymous to Lagos. angry

Cant it change? If truly Lagos want to modernise. DANFO should not be the face of public transport
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by john650(m): 6:02pm On Mar 21, 2016
kilokeys:
Thats not the issue.. Do we actually think things through?

What are the alternatives?

For instance,

BRTs can't carry dripping cartons of fish for the fish sellers, danfos can.

Why do I as a passenger have to sit with a fish seller with dripping cartons in a commercial vehicle. Commercial passenger vehicles are meant to carry passengers, not cargo. This is how it is done in most parts of the world.

The fish seller should purchase a vehicle to transport their fish or hire a truck to transport it. Stop inconveniencing others because of your business.

We have to make an effort in this country to improve our living standards and quality of life. The okadas do nothing but constitute a nuisance. However, for me, instead of outright banning the danfos, I would reorganize the way they ply the roads. For example, I will colour code the danfos for different routes and with large numbering systems written on the sides, front and back so passengers know where the busses are going even before they enter. Then I will manage the number of danfos that ply each route.

What this does is bring sanity to the transport system, and reduce "One Chance" crimes committed with danfos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by bittertruthz: 6:09pm On Mar 21, 2016
demarc001:

You made striking points but in those cities are the govt not doing things to improve employment?

The problem with Nigeria and her economy is the people of Nigeria.
If Nigerians don't change attitude, nothing will work.

Nigerians are the most lawless and arrogant people in the face of earth.
NOTHING WORK IN A LAWLESS ENVIRONMENT.
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by jarkbauer: 6:09pm On Mar 21, 2016
john650:

Why do I as a passenger have to sit with a fish seller with dripping cartons in a commercial vehicle. Commercial passenger vehicles are meant to carry passengers, not cargo. This is how it is done in most parts of the world.

The fish seller should purchase a vehicle to transport their fish or hire a truck to transport it. Stop inconveniencing others because of your business.

We have to make an effort in this country to improve our living standards and quality of life. The okadas do nothing but constitute a nuisance. However, for me, instead of outright banning the danfos, I would reorganize the way they ply the roads. For example, I will colour code the danfos for different routes and with large numbering systems written on the sides, front and back so passengers know where the busses are going even before they enter. Then I will manage the number of danfos that ply each route.

What this does is bring sanity to the transport system, and reduce "One Chance" crimes committed with danfos.

So if buy a basket of tomato, i should go and rent a bus to transport it? even planes have load allowance
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by demarc001: 6:18pm On Mar 21, 2016
jarkbauer:

Poor man does need to invest in BRT. There are rich people who will invest in it.
That's exactly my point, taking food from the poor to lavish on the rich

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by God2man(m): 6:52pm On Mar 21, 2016
E no go possible lai. lai
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by jarkbauer: 6:53pm On Mar 21, 2016
demarc001:

That's exactly my point, taking food from the poor to lavish on the rich

so you will say they should make cheap planes so poor people can invest in planes
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by Nobody: 7:12pm On Mar 21, 2016
jarkbauer:

Cant it change? If truly Lagos want to modernise. DANFO should not be the face of public transport

Aki, you are right grin. Even if it doesn't happen now, sooner or later, Danfo would definitely be phased out.
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by TomLepskie(m): 7:14pm On Mar 21, 2016
mars123:
the article said phase out. So it actually means the government might put some of your complaints into consideration. I think it's very necessary for lagos to look good. investment and development wise. but firstly, for peace, the poor man on the street should be taken care of.

Sometimes when i see so many stranded passengers at different brt bus stops, i can't help but wonder what ll happen without the danfo buses. At the end of the day it's still people like u that ll suffer it. Why don't the govt commence thier initiative, if it is a good idea the danfos and okadas ll face itself out naturally , don't forget that many buildings where demolished by fashola 8 yrs ago with the promise of road expansion but till today 8 years after those roads hv not been tarred. Govt is a joke here.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by Okemmuo(m): 7:23pm On Mar 21, 2016
CRAP.....they dare not
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 21, 2016
truthalways:
This is all cocck and bull story.
They need them during elections
How do they expect the majority of Lagosians to transport themselves
Ambode better stop sleeping on water and wake up.

People gave the same reasons when it was been phasing out in state capitals of South East, South South and some Northern states; they all moved to South West with their antecedent troubles - accidents, crime,etc. and I think it's high time SW including Lagos banned okada.
For years now, you can no longer find them in Enugu, Awka, Asaba, owerri, ph, calabar, etc
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by mikolo80: 7:46pm On Mar 21, 2016
demarc001:

every single one if they join a cooperative
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by mikolo80: 7:47pm On Mar 21, 2016
demarc001:

The same thing happened before 2015, Nigerians don't learn.
then they deserve the suffering let the misery continue
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by Memyselfu2009(m): 7:59pm On Mar 21, 2016
Reasons for lagos state putting a stop to Danfo drivers and Okada riders (The latest attempt, it was learnt, was due to the increasing crime rate and violence caused by the flagrant abuse of the Lagos Traffic Law 2012).

My Question now his if there is a BAN and the government do not provide another source of living for them. What would now happen to crime rate in lagos would it increase or decrease.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by demarc001: 9:04pm On Mar 21, 2016
mikolo80:
every single one if they join a cooperative

Aside other issues In the first place who will give them the approval to even operate? Is it not same Ambode/Tinubu that will prefer giving it to an anointed relative?
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by HolyCrap: 9:28pm On Mar 21, 2016
"It was gathered that Governor Akinwunmi Ambode is 'predisposed' to the flagrant abuse of the law by the motorcyclists and the commercial bus drivers who flout all the provisions of the law."

Whoever wrote this story just succeeded in accusing Ambode of supporting the "flagrant abuse of the law by the motorcyclists and the commercial bus drivers who flout all the provisions of the law." Please, if you don't know the meaning of a word, why use it? Why not write in pidgin english, ehh?
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by saintdennis(m): 11:35pm On Mar 21, 2016
freeze001:
This is the problem with our leaders. They will always take the easy way out to solve a problem. How about attacking the issues of robbery for instance, from the root causes? How about improving police operations with more frequent patrols and quick/effective response to any trouble areas? How about traffic cameras to monitor those robberies on the highway so that there are eyes always alert to tackle situations? How about giving the Commissioners of Police ultimatums to ensure drastic reduction of crime or face sack and prosecution? This is where State policing is necessary because otherwise a State Governor cannot exactly order the Commissioner to do what he ought to.

When they ban the okada and buses, what alternatives are there to ensure a seamless transition? How do people get to their homes in those nooks and crannies with bad roads that are not motorable? What plans are there to construct/repair link roads and streets for ease of movement? How will public transportation be improved and what is in place to absorb those that depend on okada and buses for their livelihood? Why do these people always cause more hardship on members of the public?

Bros majority of these bikemen are morons yea ur point is 100% valid but I would only . Support u if these riders are law abiding, simple DONT ride on some roads they won't listen and worse still THEY WILL BE ON TOP SPEED!
Since they can't obey the law let them be phased out.
As for danfos e go affect me sha... what I suggest Is banning a person from driving danfo. In lag once he has been arrested for some serious traffic violation. E.g skipping red light.
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by Ibukun003(m): 11:40pm On Mar 21, 2016
Once you ban them.
Kindly provide a means of livelihood for them.
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by konkonbilo(m): 2:49am On Mar 22, 2016
I support this decision 100%.I don't own a car yet,if you come to Kano before you will know that the numbers of pple riding okada in Lagos are still learning compare to that of Kano but now they are no more in Kano state. There were ban totally and noting happened,I don't now y they can be ban in Lagos state
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by oduastates: 3:03am On Mar 22, 2016
nedu2000:
one lane has already gone to BRT and you ask that another go to bicycles?so that the over 3mil cars that pass those roads will share how many lanes?bad idea
Close another one for bicycles.
After 2 weeks, you will begin to enjoy it.
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by mikolo80: 4:03am On Mar 22, 2016
demarc001:

Aside other issues In the first place who will give them the approval to even operate? Is it not same Ambode/Tinubu that will prefer giving it to an anointed relative?
they gave it to nurtw(poor people) originally so you no get point. they need those poor ppl vote
Re: Lagos To Phase Out Motorcycles, Danfo –investigation by Trustgt(m): 4:12am On Mar 22, 2016
demarc001:
Na wa o! People supporting this are those having private cars or that their major daily activities fall within BRT operating routes. We Nigerians are always self entered, because you are not directly affected by a policy doesn't mean you should commend it, they should also ban cars since they also use cars to rob, cars do hit people infact in Lagos cars are more involve in Deadly accidents than danfo (am not saying more accidents), cars also involve in a lot of traffic law disobedience . For heaven sake a lot of people benefit from these people, imagine all the chains of people that benefits from these businesses (investors, the commuters, the operators, their families). If these are replaced with govt operated system like BRT all these resources will either go to the govt who will still pay the workers peanut and yet the dividends of the profits will not get to the people, or as usual Tinubu will privatise it and give to one of his relative to get all the profit alone.

Eradication is not always the best solution, corrective measures and improvement should be made.

What is Tinubu has to do with this news? you spoilt all what you said with that statement.

When Okada was banned in Magodo GRA 2, people complained, but today, they are all enjoying the peace in Magodo, without Okada problem. It will only create a temporary discomfort, but the advantages at the end will be great.

People in government are not fools, they also think and come out with the best programmes for the masses, so everyone is always considered.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NIMASA Reception Party For Amaechi And Wife In Lagos (Photos) / Pictures From APC Presidential Campaign Rally In Sokoto / DSS Speaks On Plot By Presidency To Sack DSS DG, Yusuf Bichi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.