Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,923 members, 7,872,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:51 AM

Professional Help Needed From Builders & Civil Engrs. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Professional Help Needed From Builders & Civil Engrs. (856 Views)

Who Should Supervise A Building Project; Architects, Builders Or Engineers / ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** / What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professional Help Needed From Builders & Civil Engrs. by melakes(m): 8:46pm On Mar 21, 2016
Dear professional builders & engineers in the house, plz i need ur advice. I was called to inspect this property to finish up the work. I am a civil engineer. My 1st observation was that its got cracks in all the rooms as a result of settlements. looking down the floor, there was no german floor. just bare soil. Plz i need solutions to the problems created. thanks.

Re: Professional Help Needed From Builders & Civil Engrs. by temipet(m): 10:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
U jst ve to wait nd b sure d settlmnt is over if not any amendmnt u do ll jst b a waste
Re: Professional Help Needed From Builders & Civil Engrs. by melakes(m): 3:31am On Mar 22, 2016
temipet:
U jst ve to wait nd b sure d settlmnt is over if not any amendmnt u do ll jst b a waste
thnx, and then, when am sure its over, what solution do i profer?
Re: Professional Help Needed From Builders & Civil Engrs. by temipet(m): 6:03am On Mar 22, 2016
melakes:

thnx, and then, when am sure its over, what solution do i profer?
u cn out (Y8 or WIRE MESH) place it over d crack nd plaster
Re: Professional Help Needed From Builders & Civil Engrs. by alist(m): 6:39am On Mar 22, 2016
Looking at the pix u posted to judge, I think the faults on the walls are as a result of long exposure to whether elements and not diffrencial settlement. faults on building as a result of settlement are always at 45 degrees these are perpendicular and wider at the top. Solutions should be as follows... Use rods at horizontal along the cracks to hold the separated potions together or turn the craks to columns and run a beam to hold the entire walls together. I still look forward to other suggestions.
Re: Professional Help Needed From Builders & Civil Engrs. by Nobody: 7:28am On Mar 22, 2016
Re: Professional Help Needed From Builders & Civil Engrs. by melakes(m): 2:36am On Mar 23, 2016
Ytechconst:
This is a major crack and not minor. So you need to identify the cause critically and profer a solution to the cause before patching up the cracks pr separation.

The separation that comes from the ceiling noggings i perceive it separated due to improper bonding of blocks at that junction, since their is no column at that junction the blockwork are suppose to the well connected and bonded to avoid separation. You can either introduce a column at that junction to put a stop to the separation or you reconstruction the block bonding at that junction,but inserting column at the junction will be more easier.

The crack around the window opening downward to the foundation o perceive its a settlement from the foundation, may be their was a tree root that was not properly uprooted thefore the concrete foundation was laid or an existing debris beneat the concrete foundation which decays and causes the settlement. You can excavate the point of crack beneat and and introduce a cross bar like 4Y12mm with 600mm side laps to left and right from the centre of the crack the cast with concrete mix 1:2:4 mix,after that you can patch up the cracks on the walls.

I hope this Helps.

For further consultation you can contact our consultation room.

Raphtop Consults(subsidiary of Yemtech Construction)
Email: service@raphtopconsults.com
Phone: 09086020639
sir, you nailed it. there are still some existing tree roots wch are even beginning to grow within one of the rooms. However, I will still take a more critical look at it. Thnx a great lot.
Re: Professional Help Needed From Builders & Civil Engrs. by melakes(m): 2:40am On Mar 23, 2016
alist:
Looking at the pix u posted to judge, I think the faults on the walls are as a result of long exposure to whether elements and not diffrencial settlement. faults on building as a result of settlement are always at 45 degrees these are perpendicular and wider at the top. Solutions should be as follows... Use rods at horizontal along the cracks to hold the separated potions together or turn the craks to columns and run a beam to hold the entire walls together. I still look forward to other suggestions.
Sir, thnx for your observations, infact, thats the reason i sought advice considering the angle of the fault. However, a major cause of diff. settlements is an existence of roots close to the foundation. Now, this is present in this case.
Thnx again sir.
Re: Professional Help Needed From Builders & Civil Engrs. by alist(m): 8:04pm On Mar 25, 2016
U welcome good solving the problem ....

(1) (Reply)

Exquisitely 4units Of 4bedroom Terrace Duplex + 2rooms BQ For Sale @ Oniru ( +pi / One Room Self Con At Agungi Lekki Plus Small Living Room / Executive And Lexury 22units Of 3bedrum Flat At Marine Rd Apapa Lagos 4 Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.