Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,840 members, 7,945,692 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 12:20 AM

There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy (24027 Views)

Photos: As Yoruba Comic Actor, Sanyeri Enjoys Vacation In The U.S With His Famil / 'Toyo Baby' - Is Olayode Juliana The Hottest Actress In Nollywood Below 30? / Juliet Ibrahim Wins Best Dressed Actress In Nollywood At Glam & Essence Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by TeamSimple(m): 2:50pm On Mar 22, 2016
They can have nollywood, while we run the Nigeria music industry. I know some fools still gonna challenge this, even when it's glaring.

2 Likes

Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by willibounce1(m): 2:53pm On Mar 22, 2016
This mercy aigbe is so phucking desperate for attention in an annoying way. Always posting fake make up face all over the internet just to get sweet comments from airheads like her. The funny thing is she is extremely classless. Best dressed my yansh.

1 Like

Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by Minyang(f): 2:54pm On Mar 22, 2016
Everyone keep saying Yoruba actresses are razz. What is the definition of "Razz" ? U call dem razz cos they refused to join d league of the ones that form to be what and who dey are not. Please let's face it, being you doesn't mean u are less Dan others it only means u are U. Talking about bleaching, is it Rita Dominic, Tonto Dikeh, Oge Okoye nd other that did not bleach? So try Rita get bleaching agent wet she dey produce.
Mercy Aigbe dear, I'm with u on dis. U are still d best dressed whether or not u graced any mag's cover page.
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by Enahi(f): 3:05pm On Mar 22, 2016
[quote author=Adaure4ever post=44002058]Lol. Mrs Mercy Aigbe, you are not in the class of Genevive Nnaji, Omotala, Stephanie Okereke or Nse Ekpe Etim
bleaching and too much make up does not mean that someone is well dressed.
And finally, stop throwing issues down the tribal line in a bid to attract sympathy.
Nollywood is still THE BEST in Africa.. End of

You should be ashamed of yourself for this comment,anyway you have made of obvious that you have low self esteem.

And the bleaching part would you like me to upload pictures of genevive and co before they become famous?
Low self esteem bitch typing thrash,you can go lick the feet of your classy actresses.

1 Like

Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by frenchboy(m): 4:10pm On Mar 22, 2016
O wonder they said some languages are going into extiction by 2030..those who call themselves risin sun..
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by MemphisDepay(m): 4:14pm On Mar 22, 2016
chocolateme:
Mercy Shey na because of this small issue of you not appearing on the magazine the other day among the best dressed celebrities, na im wan make you to want raise this unnecessary dust now?
A
Before you know it now, internet war will start. Anyway..
you no follow the story ni? She said it wasn't basically as regards the picture., but there is more to it. How has your day bn?
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by darlenese(f): 4:33pm On Mar 22, 2016
Mercy its a pity u invested all your life earnings in fashionable wears and make ups yet THIS DAY style magazine didn't find u worthy to grace their front page as best dressed sad cry angry.

Stop crying and focus of investing on something more profitable ! No matter the point you are trying to make , its obvious this drama started when u discovered u weren't. Listed as best dressed !

Take heart
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by GboyegaD(m): 4:40pm On Mar 22, 2016
This isn't about Federal Character as such, she and her fans should accept the decision of the media. Why didn't she cry foul when she was always winning best dressed awards and others were not?
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by Evathyst(f): 4:43pm On Mar 22, 2016
djraymy:
you no get 10.1 inch? And whats your location
No Sir! The 7' inches is what we have in stock. Moreso, it's not my own, I'm only doing my job as a marketer. Ehm! The location of the seller?

*Scratches head*

It's around Lekki area in Lagos.
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by brownlolly(m): 4:48pm On Mar 22, 2016
gbens2000:
my dear something has to be different to make u sell am not saying this cuz am Yoruba but honestly that how it is even globally they were time Americans critized the Russians,British against Indian.but they were all doin wat made. Them sell,wat do u see in Hollywood that sell most lies,nudity and fiction.which maybe one could argue are not morally right.but wat matters is sticking to ur own no suppurting our indigineous work.not segregation,prejudice and partisan.we can't move forward that way never.

So poor audio, shaky camera shots, bad lighting, color riot as a result of poor styling...etc...these are the things that should make Yoruba movies stand out abi?
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by gbens2000(m): 4:51pm On Mar 22, 2016
brownlolly:

So poor audio, shaky camera shots, bad lighting, color riot as a result of poor styling...etc...these are the things that should make Yoruba movies stand out abi?
so wat AV u done to make it right,all am telling u is support your own to make it beta gbam.
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by brownlolly(m): 5:03pm On Mar 22, 2016
gbens2000:
so wat AV u done to make it right,all am telling u is support your own to make it beta gbam.

Jeez! You slow
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by omofunaab(m): 5:05pm On Mar 22, 2016
chinchum:
This article was not written by Mercy Aigbe, but there are lots of people with comprehension issues.

Am telling you, most people dumb gan
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by engrchykae(m): 5:06pm On Mar 22, 2016
I do know that nollywood have raised the stakes of recent and i feel that the best hands given roles irrespective of where one come from.
Majid Michel,frank artus, van vicker,john dumelo and co aren't nigerians and yet they have turned to key actors in nollywood.
Coming to the homefront,the likes of popular yoruba actors such as Olu Jacobs,Jibola Dabo,Desmond Elliott,my funke akindele,Bimbo Akintola and many others are not sidelined if u ask me.these yoruba actors and actresses are the best from southwest for now.
Ever since the evolution of the nollywood many igbo actors have been dropped such as uwaezuoke,mike oriihedimma and a host of others simply because they are not fluent in english.
So lets not try a make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Rather yorowood and kanywood should join nollywood fully.
The bitter truth is that igbos are the true ambassadors of a one and great nigeria hence their population in nollywood is enough to form ibowood but they formed nollywood while the rulers of nigeria prefer kanywood and yorubas prefers to go by yorowood.
Though we still have actors from the north and southwest making waves in nollywood.there is hope for nigeria

2 Likes

Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by gbens2000(m): 5:18pm On Mar 22, 2016
brownlolly:

Jeez! You slow
ok I agree with that they could be technically bad,but no one can deny the fact that they ave very very good story line they really try to depict reality in their movies the so called nollywood and Hollywood just portray lies and fiction in most of they bestsellers we still enjoy them thou my point is the moral support and constructive criticism,they need not being tribalistic,with biased and myopic views.
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by engrchykae(m): 5:22pm On Mar 22, 2016
[quote author=TeamSimple post=44006153]They can have nollywood, while we run the Nigeria music industry. I know some fools still gonna challenge this, even when it's glaring. [ u know are making a bogus claim because the music industry is run by the entire south of nigeria just that lagos is the playground for the boys.
For any music star from the southwest.southeast and southsouth have an answer for him or her]
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by TeamSimple(m): 6:53pm On Mar 22, 2016
[quote author=engrchykae post=44010397][/quote]
Name the artists you have got,, both male and female. Let rate them on a scale 1 to 10.
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by Nobody: 8:03pm On Mar 22, 2016
this country is so fucking divided
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by abeeorlah001(m): 8:38pm On Mar 22, 2016
Yoruba movie actors need to learn from Bollywood. They need to rebrand themselves and the industry to the point where they have a global appeal. Branding in this sense would also mean churning quality movies with decent and correct translations. Their competitors shouldn't be the Nigerian English-speaking movie actors, they should go global. But they must first capture the entire local market.

Already they are gaining traction; I can almost argue that Yoruba movies have a larger audience or more viewers in Nigeria than English-speaking "Nollywood" movies, forget the smoke-screen of those Silverbird cinema premieres.

As Jason of iroko TV said in one of his posts, it is important to capture the local market, and Lagos is key in this respect.

So dear Yoruba movie actors, forget the discrimination you think you suffer in Nollywood. Focus on what's important. For a start, if Multichoice don't already pay you, start charging them for every movie they show on Africa Magic Yoruba. Why? Because the material aired on that channel are your intellectual property. Two, because Africa Magic makes money off it. How? That channel is one of the most popular channels on DSTV, many of their customers subscribe because of that channel, so they won't even dare drop it. What do I know?!
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by Progress2468(m): 8:38pm On Mar 22, 2016
JoaHynppes:
[size=14pt]i think the Yoruba movies still remains the best, they are definitely better than the English ones, they are far more creative and they gonna teach you a whole lot of things ....the English ones keep repeating the same stuff all the time, either they are crying, or a girl from a poor background got married to a rich man at the end or some evil people died. Trust me I don't spend 10mins of that on YouTube. I think the Yoruba's actually deserves some recognition.[/size]

Recognized for the Babalawo cliche?
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by sorepco(m): 8:57pm On Mar 22, 2016
My guy this ur comparison lacks merit. Those contries u named are homogenous...they more or less speak one language...while we are heterogenous..many languages. So therefore ur argument of using our mothertongue does not hold water.
If igbo was used from 1991 onwards then rmd..mercy johnson...charles inoje...funke and co wud not be actors. Mind u..asaba and eastern nollywood laid the fondation for this much interest and desire around the world for naija films!! If not telemundo and indian films wud be the order of the day

skysailor:

How
By not producing yoruba movies again but English?

Oyinbo don brainwash black finish

Go check bollywood production.... 95% of their movies are in Hindi
And dey remain d second best industry to hollywood
Same thing which Chinese movies and Korean... Their production are mostly in their languages

We as Nigerians are killing our cultural background... We not showing d world wat we are ..... # too fake#

Y can't our industries focus on "igbo... Yoruba and hausa and other indigenous languages instead of promoting a foreign language

Can't dey just produce indigenous language movies and subtitles it for foreign viewers?

#nigerians are too fake#
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by Nobody: 9:13pm On Mar 22, 2016
JoaHynppes:
[size=14pt]i think the Yoruba movies still remains the best, they are definitely better than the English ones, they are far more creative and they gonna teach you a whole lot of things ....the English ones keep repeating the same stuff all the time, either they are crying, or a girl from a poor background got married to a rich man at the end or some evil people died. Trust me I don't spend 10mins of that on YouTube. I think the Yoruba's actually deserves some recognition.[/size]

U mean all those there juju movies
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by SaffronSpice: 9:18pm On Mar 22, 2016
sorepco:
My guy this ur comparison lacks merit. Those contries u named are homogenous...they more or less speak one language...while we are heterogenous..many languages. So therefore ur argument of using our mothertongue does not hold water.
If igbo was used from 1991 onwards then rmd..mercy johnson...charles inoje...funke and co wud not be actors. Mind u..asaba and eastern nollywood laid the fondation for this much interest and desire around the world for naija films!! If not telemundo and indian films wud be the order of the day

They are not homogenous.
The countries he mentioned speak more than one language.
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by SaffronSpice: 9:24pm On Mar 22, 2016
kevinscore:

U mean all those there juju movies
Is the so called Nollywood any better? Not with their rehashed plots and predictable denouements.
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by sorepco(m): 9:36pm On Mar 22, 2016
How do u mean wen hindi is spoken by more than 90% of indians....mandarin by more than 90% of chinese or korean by more than 90% of koreans??

SaffronSpice:

They are not homogenous.
The countries he mentioned speak more than one language.
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by mercyville: 9:40pm On Mar 22, 2016
sorepco:
How do u mean wen hindi is spoken by more than 90% of indians....mandarin by more than 90% of chinese or korean by more than 90% of koreans??

lol
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by mercyville: 9:53pm On Mar 22, 2016
The truth is it is not possible to remove the real originators of Nollywood from what they actually created in the first place.I am talking about Yorubas.It is called Nollywood because Nigeria starts with N.If you want to differentiate it,you can call it Igbowood.Mercy was complaining about Nollywood and not Igbowood.And moreover it is the yoruba actors and actresses that make nollywood TICK....lol
Twinkle....Twinkle
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by IbehCharles: 9:59pm On Mar 22, 2016
Check Out Another One Of Beyonce's Cute Cousins (Photos)

Yesterday, you saw photos of Beyonce’s cute cousins, Kelsi and Kristin – now meet another beauty in the Beyonce family. This is Kristin’s 18 year old daughter named Ajia. Ajia is a high school senior in Houston Texas. See more photos

- See more at: http://made4naija.com/2016/03/22/check-out-another-one-of-beyonces-cute-cousins-photos/#sthash.l5hWDTTU.dpuf
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by mercyville: 10:03pm On Mar 22, 2016
[quote author=engrchykae post=44010397][/quote]lol... Let us even start like this...lol..you wan kill yourself. Give me one musician in the ilk of Fela.
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by tpiar: 10:03pm On Mar 22, 2016
TeamSimple:
They can have nollywood, while we run the Nigeria music industry. I know some fools still gonna challenge this, even when it's glaring.

No, you dont run that either.
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by Preyetonye(m): 10:07pm On Mar 22, 2016
why wont There be discrimination when they av turned nollywood into igbowood
Re: There Is Discrimination In Nollywood As Yoruba Acts Are Being Sidelined - Mercy by SaffronSpice: 10:18pm On Mar 22, 2016
sorepco:

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-09-23/in-china-say-everything-in-
mandarin-please .

www.quora.com/what-is-the-percentage-of-people-in-india-who-speak-hindi-how-do-they-learn-it .

Due to Korea's population,I should agree with your % for Korea.

In addition,the language used in most Chinese blockbusters is Cantonese not Mandarin.So you see,the choice of language shouldnt be a divide.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kate Henshaw At The African Hair Summit (Photo) / Moesha Boduong Replies Critics Of Her Interview With Cnn’s Amanpour / Munachi Uzoma Sues Ibinabo Fiberesima For Cheating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.